Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leviathan Song posted:

There's no way that map is accurate. Olympic National Park in Washington has huge swaths of unlogged old growth rain forest that don't show up on it. There's national forest land that was unfortunately not protected but Olympic National Park is big enough that it should show up on that map.

https://www.nps.gov/articles/loggingolympicwwii.htm#:~:text=The%20Hoh%20River%20and%20Bogachiel,land%20known%20as%20Queets%20Corridor.
https://www.ijpr.org/show/the-jefferson-exchange/2022-10-04/wed-8-30-researchers-make-a-map-of-all-old-growth-forest-in-lower-48
https://www.oldgrowthforest.net/washington

Maps vary depending on whether they include "mature" forests as well as "old growth." If you combine the two, "MOG", you get stuff like on the sites you link to." Mature" forests are good, and many need to be preserved, but the definitions aren't identical and if you want to see how much more or less undisturbed forests are left, maps of MOG forests aren't that.

For example
https://databasin.org/maps/new/#datasets=87170a2164e94c51850101e394d30996
This map (it takes a bit to load) shows both:

It's most of it. You can see just how much of Washington's "old growth and mature forest" is under 150 years old. Even that over 150 years old is only presumably "old growth" in the West - in the eastern half of the country, you need to see forests older than the arrival of colonists - and it's basically near zero.

The map I posted maybe doesn't quite show the blob in Olympic west of Seattle, but it's a pretty zoomed-out map. I don't know how accurate it is regardless. A ton of sources include the three maps with 1620, 1850, and 1926 on them but I wanted one that also showed a reasonably recent shot too.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
May I direct the thread’s attention to Arctic Ascent, a new National Geographic series (on Disney+ or your parents’ cable). Alex Honnold, with climbers Hazel Findlay and Mikey Schaefer, lead a group up a huge fuckoff rock wall in Greenland to do climate science. It’s more responsible than Free Solo in that they’re roped in and belaying each other. Everything else about the location and specifics is way worse, like having to walk 100 miles to even get to the mountain, avoiding murder icicles and polar bears, and dealing with lovely crumbling rock the whole climb.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bucolic, not dramatic

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

May I direct the thread’s attention to Arctic Ascent, a new National Geographic series (on Disney+ or your parents’ cable). Alex Honnold, with climbers Hazel Findlay and Mikey Schaefer, lead a group up a huge fuckoff rock wall in Greenland to do climate science. It’s more responsible than Free Solo in that they’re roped in and belaying each other. Everything else about the location and specifics is way worse, like having to walk 100 miles to even get to the mountain, avoiding murder icicles and polar bears, and dealing with lovely crumbling rock the whole climb.

"To do climate science" lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

this looks sick, thanks

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

"To do climate science" lol
I’m not 100% sold either, but it does seem to be the way to get core samples from 1000 feet up the side of a sheer cliff

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Anne Whateley posted:

I’m not 100% sold either, but it does seem to be the way to get core samples from 1000 feet up the side of a sheer cliff

Climate scientists do need ice samples from deep in old ice. I've never heard about them needing it from high up a cliff.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

the OG loss.jpg

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

LOOK at what climate scientists have done (with all the core samples and abacus we procured for them)

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

greenland is one of the last places on earth with tons of legit majorly challenging peaks that have no known summits. its weird to think about but antartica is in some ways more accessible, and overall way less mountainous

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cactus Ghost posted:

greenland is one of the last places on earth with tons of legit majorly challenging peaks that have no known summits. its weird to think about but antartica is in some ways more accessible, and overall way less mountainous

Also no polar bears. It's in the name!

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
Antarctica still has its own extreme-sports-related horrors, like polar thigh (probably don't look at the pictures if you're eating or plan to eat in the near future).

https://explorersweb.com/polar-thigh-antarctica/

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

gohuskies posted:

Climate scientists do need ice samples from deep in old ice. I've never heard about them needing it from high up a cliff.
So now I’ve watched it, the scientist on the trip did explain the need for core samples from their practice cliff, but then (unless I looked away at the wrong moment) they didn’t do samples from the main cliff.

Realistically, I think we know the main benefit to climate science is the number of eyes on the documentary plus whatever level of funding NatGeo was involved in. They did take the opportunity to do some neat and hopefully useful stuff on the way, like using LIDAR to detect the depth of ice, dropping off a robot that measures water stats, and taking time-lapse photography to see how fast the ice pack is moving.

Another interesting thing is that as soon as Honnold showed up, I was like “holy poo poo he looks so old now, how old is he???” and it turns out he’s my age :waycool:

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 12, 2024

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Cactus Ghost posted:

There are no unknown summits on Greenland there's satellite photography of the entire island.

it's the pointy bit at the top of the mountain :ssh:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
really compelling article about a guy who skied incredibly dangerous locations until the inevitable sank in and he quit.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/jan/30/precipice-of-fear-the-freerider-who-took-skiing-to-its-limits

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Outrail posted:

There are no unknown summits on Greenland there's satellite photography of the entire island.

Exactly what I'd expect to hear from someone bought off by Big Hologram

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Outrail posted:

errr "summits" as meaning "someone's climbed them"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Chrpno posted:

errr "summits" as meaning "someone's climbed them"

If noone can climb them maybe they are actually holograms. How deep does this rabbit hole go? :tinfoil:

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

DurianGray posted:

Antarctica still has its own extreme-sports-related horrors, like polar thigh (probably don't look at the pictures if you're eating or plan to eat in the near future).

Clicked while eating pepperoni pizza. Not great, not terrible.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

dont tell me i cant climb holograms

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

So now I’ve watched it, the scientist on the trip did explain the need for core samples from their practice cliff, but then (unless I looked away at the wrong moment) they didn’t do samples from the main cliff.

Realistically, I think we know the main benefit to climate science is the number of eyes on the documentary plus whatever level of funding NatGeo was involved in. They did take the opportunity to do some neat and hopefully useful stuff on the way, like using LIDAR to detect the depth of ice, dropping off a robot that measures water stats, and taking time-lapse photography to see how fast the ice pack is moving.

Another interesting thing is that as soon as Honnold showed up, I was like “holy poo poo he looks so old now, how old is he???” and it turns out he’s my age :waycool:

was the climbing cool>?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I watched the first two eps so far and Hazel Findlay does some crazy rear end Tomb Raider poo poo

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I watched the first two eps so far and Hazel Findlay does some crazy rear end Tomb Raider poo poo

hell yeah she rules

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
My instagram reels have been giving me probably every 8-10 swipes videos of dead Everest climbers

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

DurianGray posted:

well that's not pleasant

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

My instagram reels have been giving me probably every 8-10 swipes videos of dead Everest climbers

Is Instagram killing adventure fetishists for the views? Behold the sickening reality of late stage capitalism.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

lol drat you must rly love dead climbers

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

was the climbing cool>?
I’m not remotely qualified to judge. It didn’t seem fun for them in that the sane people (i.e. not Honnold) were complaining about the lovely rock the whole time, but obviously it was hella impressive (I say from my cozy chair with my little snack). I guess it depends how you define cool

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

I enjoyed watching the show, it has some really impressive footage, but unless I missed something some of the narrative seemed insultingly dumb?

Like them having to climb a wall and then travel through scary crevasse area to then take a boat with a bunch of other people who just happened to be there???

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There's a video of this trip, which is pretty good. I can't find it for some reason, but I swear it exists
https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/trip_reports/jacob_cook_and_bronwyn_hodgins_on_their_greenland_expedition-14787

Oh it was a film tour
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrNPyc0NzvI

Epitope fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 13, 2024

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Empty Sandwich posted:

really compelling article about a guy who skied incredibly dangerous locations until the inevitable sank in and he quit.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/jan/30/precipice-of-fear-the-freerider-who-took-skiing-to-its-limits

Ah Jeremie Heitz. He filmed La Liste in the mountains around here, really amazing, scary stuff (that's a good article as well).

You can watch La Liste online still:

https://www.redbull.com/int-en/films/la-liste

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I watched the first episode of the Greenland climbing thing.

So why can't they just like fly a helicopter to the top of that big glacier and then just go down? Does it not work like that?

Also who is holding the camera, they say it's a 6-person expedition but there's someone magically above the climbers getting some sick shots and IDK how they got up there. Unless it's a drone?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

uncertainty posted:

I enjoyed watching the show, it has some really impressive footage, but unless I missed something some of the narrative seemed insultingly dumb?

Like them having to climb a wall and then travel through scary crevasse area to then take a boat with a bunch of other people who just happened to be there???

Loads of shows do that and it's very dumb. There was some bad paranormal thing where the host was told by the locals he had to be ALONE to communicate with the spirits, and he kept going on about how he was by himself now but.... there's a camera man. he's moving the camera as you run around. you're not alone. AGHHHHGGHHGGGGGG

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

hemale in pain posted:

Loads of shows do that and it's very dumb. There was some bad paranormal thing where the host was told by the locals he had to be ALONE to communicate with the spirits, and he kept going on about how he was by himself now but.... there's a camera man. he's moving the camera as you run around. you're not alone. AGHHHHGGHHGGGGGG

The cameraman is also a spirit, duh

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Survivorman was great for that. Multiple episodes he would complain about having to take care of the camera equipment or end up taking it apart for parts.

There was one episode I think in the tundra where he sets up a camera and basically goes "I'm going to get a great shot of me walking away over those hills in the distance. Then I'm going to have to come back to collect the camera" and they speed up the shot to see him come all the way back

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Eeyo posted:

I watched the first episode of the Greenland climbing thing.

So why can't they just like fly a helicopter to the top of that big glacier and then just go down? Does it not work like that?

Also who is holding the camera, they say it's a 6-person expedition but there's someone magically above the climbers getting some sick shots and IDK how they got up there. Unless it's a drone?
They’re 100% using drones for some of the shots. There could also be hidden camera people, idk, but drones are definitely in use.

I figure a helicopter isn’t a great plan for the same reasons it isn’t on Everest? That said, they’re definitely misleading in the beginning about the accessibility, how they have to walk 100 miles to get to the big cliff…but then at the base of the big cliff, they’re met by supply boats

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ilmucche posted:

Survivorman was great for that. Multiple episodes he would complain about having to take care of the camera equipment or end up taking it apart for parts.

There was one episode I think in the tundra where he sets up a camera and basically goes "I'm going to get a great shot of me walking away over those hills in the distance. Then I'm going to have to come back to collect the camera" and they speed up the shot to see him come all the way back

In Arizona, he said “lmao I am not coming back for this one. I’ll have the crew do it.”

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Anne Whateley posted:

They’re 100% using drones for some of the shots. There could also be hidden camera people, idk, but drones are definitely in use.

I figure a helicopter isn’t a great plan for the same reasons it isn’t on Everest? That said, they’re definitely misleading in the beginning about the accessibility, how they have to walk 100 miles to get to the big cliff…but then at the base of the big cliff, they’re met by supply boats

Well helicopters wouldn't struggle quite the same way since the absolute height (and thus air pressure) is so much lower, the highest peak in Greenland is only 3700m, compared to like 8850m for Everest. Even Everest base camp is 5400m.

If there's an issue I'd say it's because the windspeeds/visibility are an issue (idk I haven't watched it), or it's just too expensive to justify staging the fuel.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I'm guessing another reason is that they're mountain climbers who want to climb mountains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Elukka posted:

I'm guessing another reason is that they're mountain climbers who want to climb mountains.

climbing mountaisn rules