Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
Good news for all my coworkers out sick with "that bug that's going around" time to go back to the office!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

it's week two of my company getting serious about annoying people about coming in to work.

it looks like maybe 15% commitment on that front. literally just empty desks with post it notes saying whose desk it is.

D- for effort.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

the school closures are three and a half years in the past now and they will never, ever, ever let them pass into history. They will be shrieking about how school closures harmed kids a decade from now. Local radio here ran a bit about how the city school district "fell behind on services to disabled students by 600,000 hours and still hasn't made up for it."

there was a segment on NPR the other day about "chronic absenteeism" in public schools and how to address it

of course covid was not mentioned a single time

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

it's week two of my company getting serious about annoying people about coming in to work.

Not sure what line of work you're in, but my large employer is continuing to hire remote and there's no push for anyone to come back. I'm in a high-visibility role that would generally require some travel and have explicitly said "no" due to COVID concerns. Zero pushback on that. My wife's company also had a large remote presence in the "before times" and continues to do so, so that's another option. We're both in tech roles for non-tech companies (insurance and healthcare).

Not sure what specific openings are available, but PM me if you want the names of the companies.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Baddog posted:

Heh, telling people lies ("meeting them where they are") for 4+ years now is what led to people not believing them anymore and to stop listening.

This is the final straw, people will say "see the CDC finally admitted we can go in sick now, it's not a big deal, the whole thing was overblown the whole time"

But no one in public health seems to see how one thing leads to the other, they are just standing around like "what can we tell them to get them to listen to us again".

That and I guess it's an election year and Biden is behind in the polls. We gotta run just a tiny bit to the left of eugenics and fascism to pull this one out.

Also for the first year of the pandemic the CDC was utterly beholden to Trump and literally sat by while he said the dumbest poo poo. People who hated Trump saw the CDC for what they were, most of the people who loved Trump were never going to listen to the CDC anyway, their reputation was hosed and they never got it back.

Also there was already a growing trend in anti-vaxx and vaxx conspiracies and I have a hunch that the whole QAnon thing turbocharged everything to do with conspiracies including anti-vaxx and anti-medical establishment in general.

Snowglobe of Doom has issued a correction as of 17:35 on Feb 13, 2024

Iverron
May 13, 2012

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

it looks like maybe 15% commitment on that front. literally just empty desks with post it notes saying whose desk it is.

big local employer here went through a few cycles of this, then their stock price poo poo the bed and they started just firing whoever wasn’t there on a given day so now their glassdoor is a nightmare of very mad people and people writing positive reviews presumably at gunpoint

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

Griz posted:

there was a segment on NPR the other day about "chronic absenteeism" in public schools and how to address it

Two of my aunts are teachers, and two of my friends are a middle school teacher and a college professor. They all "gave up" on taking precautions in 2022 and are seemingly never not sick. All of their schools had multiple weeks in 2023 where they shut down entirely due to widespread illness.

I sent them all Coway Airmega 400s for their classrooms and I beg them to wear masks to no avail. Two of their spouses have Long COVID and they STILL won't wear a mask anymore, I think mainly due to peer pressure (they're in rural school districts) and the futility of it all. What a nightmare.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Neat, I was hoping there would be an authoritative action that would make my masking stance look even more unhinged with my spouse. Thanks public health!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

yellowD posted:

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1757415581400358994

haha dropping the 5 day quarantine and hospital acquired infection reporting. I am losing my loving mind here. How is any of this real

lmfao

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Neat, I was hoping there would be an authoritative action that would make my masking stance look even more unhinged with my spouse. Thanks public health!

There always seems to be another level to this.

Next year CDC recommends spitting directly into the mouths of people you sit next to on the bus, to keep your immune system well exercised.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Pingui posted:

:coronatoot:
The new reality — with most people having developed a level of immunity to the virus because of prior infection or vaccination

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

They want this to be true so bad lmao
ignoring reality is the new reality lol

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Griz posted:

i assume lockdowns were to blame and that only a renewed emphasis on presenteeism was the solution

Griz
May 21, 2001

Insanite posted:

i assume lockdowns were to blame and that only a renewed emphasis on presenteeism was the solution

if they keep going with this poo poo they're gonna end up with Kamala's policy of throwing parents in jail if their kid gets sick too much

quote:

Malkus points to some low-cost options — like texting or email campaigns to increase parental involvement and encourage kids to get back in school – but says these, alone, aren't "up to the scale of what we're facing now."

Higher-cost options for schools to consider could include door-knocking campaigns, sending staff on student home-visits and requiring that families of chronically absent students meet in-person with school staff.
https://www.npr.org/2024/02/09/1228441120/covid-schools-students-learning

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Insanite posted:

link? been eyeing those euro combo tests.

right here I saw a French shop as well but didn't get the link

even with a downright criminal amount of shipping/customs cost they're still... less than half as expensive as rapids off the shelf here. also there's one study out there lamenting the "poor sensitivity" at like 80% and I'm like lmao please

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Well, at least nuking the brains of the next generation gives me better job security.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

It's gonna suck rule when they push for one days off for Measles too to get everyone back in school/work

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gunshow Poophole posted:

even with a downright criminal amount of shipping/customs cost they're still... less than half as expensive as rapids off the shelf here. also there's one study out there lamenting the "poor sensitivity" at like 80% and I'm like lmao please

I can buy them off the shelf here in Australia but last time I checked they were AUS$24 for a pack of 2 which is US$16

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I finally found a store here in Melbourne which sells the combo covid/flu A+B/RSV rapid tests.

I've been keeping an eye out and most pharmacies don't seem to stock them, I guess there's not much call for them

I should go have another look, I'm guessing that demand hasn't been high so they might be on sale now

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Griz posted:

I listened to I think the same segment, from their podcast, and “illness” was brought up a few times and dismissed almost out of hand by the ”expert” they got to talk up the problem

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Potato Salad posted:

Well, at least nuking the brains of the next generation gives me better job security.

Just don't change jobs or you'll have the problem I'm having where the person training me doesn't have any brain cells left

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Ty

good lord is that shipping hefty but I am still considering

looks like it’s 76 bucks flat to me. wonder when these things expire—way less of a compelling case if they’re useless in a few months.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
yeah if it's a short expiration (package insert says shelf life is 24 months! but obvi no manufacture date until you get em in your hands) then I'll just distribute to infospace and my local lefty groups here

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Everyone cross bubonic plague off your 2024 pandemic bingo card

Oregon resident caught the bubonic plague from their cat, local officials say

quote:

A pet owner in Oregon has caught the bubonic plague from their cat in a rare example of the potentially deadly illness surfacing in the United States, local authorities have said.

The plague was responsible for the Black Death in medieval Europe and elsewhere which killed millions of people and devastated the continent. In modern times it has become much rarer.

Local officials said the unnamed person in rural Deschutes county, Oregon, had probably caught the plague from their pet, which was displaying symptoms of the disease.

“All close contacts of the resident and their pet have been contacted and provided medication to prevent illness,” said Dr Richard Fawcett, Deschutes county health officer, in a statement.

The case is the first example of the bubonic plague in Oregon since 2015. It is usually found in the area being carried by squirrels, chipmunks, mice and other rodents.

Symptoms of the plague begin two to eight days after exposure to an infected animal or flea and may include fever, nausea, weakness, chills, muscle aches and visibly swollen lymph nodes called buboes, which give the plague its name.

“Fortunately, this case was identified and treated in the earlier stages of the disease, posing little risk to the community. No additional cases of plague have emerged during the communicable disease investigation,” the county said in a statement.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

69 Euro is TOO MUCH for shipping for me, when I can get just-covid tests for free here. I went to my favourite domestic mask supplier website and saw that they at least have these guys: https://www.ppe-supply.com/products/ecotest-covid-19-flu-test that are OUT OF STOCK augh

$9CAD/test which is still more than I want to pay but that's a lot better than loving around with international shipping.

It does seem like they let you order 1870 Aura's by the carton, though, which seems new. They're on sale right now any Canada goons, $640CAD/440 Masks and they ship from Toronto.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

yellowD posted:

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1757415581400358994

haha dropping the 5 day quarantine and hospital acquired infection reporting. I am losing my loving mind here. How is any of this real

What an absolute failure of a society. I feel like crying and screaming. lmao!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
At least now that we're at zero days it can't get any worse.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lacrosse posted:

Just don't change jobs or you'll have the problem I'm having where the person training me doesn't have any brain cells left

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Salt Fish posted:

That's what I think every time!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

now, now, it can always get worse, just use your imagination. who knows, maybe the CDC will recommend infants get their covid antibodies through mandatory covid infections

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
nice buboes lol

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

cdc sucks rear end. here's a small positive thing, this black trans person who has barely 1000 followers got 50k views/10k likes on a slideshow about motivations for wearing a mask

https://www.tiktok.com/@the_great_tabby/photo/7334516400477703466

i know the situation sucks but it's good to be reminded there are other people out there including lots outside of cspam who know the score and appreciate your mitigation efforts and all

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Salt Fish posted:

They're going to ban masks next, aren't they

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
We need to meet people where they're at (restaurants and hospitals)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Why Am I So Tired posted:

i've entered exactly one place that had a big sign saying no masks, and they seemed serious about it.

my solution? I started coughing exactly as I entered, hacking and clearing my throat. I caught eyes with someone behind the counter, they said nothing. no biggie.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

U-DO Burger posted:

now, now, it can always get worse, just use your imagination. who knows, maybe the CDC will recommend infants get their covid antibodies through mandatory covid infections

Nah, I'm imaging that the next worse thing is that they're going to gatekeep medicine even more. I don't mean paxlovid, I mean all prescription medications.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NeonPunk posted:

Nah, I'm imaging that the next worse thing is that they're going to gatekeep medicine even more. I don't mean paxlovid, I mean all prescription medications.

Medicine is for closers!! You wanna pop them pills and cure them ills, you gotta show that you've a productive member of society

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Medicine is for closers!! You wanna pop them pills and cure them ills, you gotta show that you've a productive member of society

I was thinking more like "You have bacterial pneumonia, but you're young and healthy! I don't think you need antibiotics since it will not help all that much. Tell you what, I'm going to prescribe you some salt water and just gargle it, you'll get better in no time!"

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Speaking of whooping cough, this guy I posted about recently:

... has been coughing so severely that his doc made him test for pertussis today. He's been coughing so hard that it made him throw up.
That’s what tipped me off to whooping cough so good luck to that guy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

NeonPunk posted:

I was thinking more like "You have bacterial pneumonia, but you're young and healthy! I don't think you need antibiotics since it will not help all that much. Tell you what, I'm going to prescribe you some salt water and just gargle it, you'll get better in no time!"

A friend of mine recently had kidney surgery and they were short on heparin, at one of the largest cancer centers in one of the largest states in the US.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

There's no reason for drug manufacturers in the US to make common, low-margin (and essential) medications anymore when there's a glorious field of dick pills and psoriasis medications to chase after, so we're going to end up with gatekeeping of WHO essential medicines just because no one here's making them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Why Am I So Tired posted:

I stepped into the lobby of a gas station and the guy ahead of me asks the clerk 'have you gotten robbed lately' and I can't help but think he was insinuating I was about to rob the store because I had a mask on