Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Nice Van My Man posted:

I hope they don't do annoying as gently caress DLC characters again.

There was a leak that said Fahkumram is a year one character so lol lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I really really do not miss negan especially. noctis was more annoying to fight but negan never shut the gently caress up and his rage art was boring and took about three times as long as it needed

geese was fine but I like snk stuff

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Mode 7 posted:

I get that Tekken doesn’t have zoning/zoners in the 2D fighter sense but as someone who generally leans towards zoners in fighting games, can anyone recommend which characters might scratch that sort of itch? I’m feeling a bit lost, character choice wise.

What I love about playing zoners is the combo of being able to repeatedly stuff their approach by either smart space control or predictively shoving a hitbox into where they’re going, and being able to condition or frustrate opponents to get them stuck back in my zoning blender.

How can I translate this to Tekken? There seem to be a few characters who have good keepout tools but nobody I’ve tried so far “feels” right - I probably just don’t know enough about Tekken yet to understand what I’m looking for. So yeah, any other Degenerate Zoner Enjoyers in other games got character suggestions?

time to pick lee and push b4 a bunch

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
It's making me want to learn Leroy, I'm such a goddamn Johnny card gamer.

(Although Jun owns bones, I've always loved playing her in every game she's been in.)

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
jun does indeed own. after stalling out in red ranks and getting mad about hwoarangs and victors and DJs fraud checking me i tried to shift my mindset back to every interaction being a learning opportunity (that is - i stopped getting mad and tried to stay calm and figure out how to beat what my opponent is doing, instead of [incorrectly] assuming i knew how to beat it and was loving it up, and if i kept losing the interaction then that's just new information work with. though like at least 50% of the time the answer was to attack and threaten them way more so they couldn't do whatever the bullshit was) and got to purple rank :cool:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Nice Van My Man posted:

Law hates rich people and his only reward is the sweet embrace of death, he's very relatable.

This was my favourite ending by far

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Mode 7 posted:

I get that Tekken doesn’t have zoning/zoners in the 2D fighter sense but as someone who generally leans towards zoners in fighting games, can anyone recommend which characters might scratch that sort of itch? I’m feeling a bit lost, character choice wise.

What I love about playing zoners is the combo of being able to repeatedly stuff their approach by either smart space control or predictively shoving a hitbox into where they’re going, and being able to condition or frustrate opponents to get them stuck back in my zoning blender.

How can I translate this to Tekken? There seem to be a few characters who have good keepout tools but nobody I’ve tried so far “feels” right - I probably just don’t know enough about Tekken yet to understand what I’m looking for. So yeah, any other Degenerate Zoner Enjoyers in other games got character suggestions?
They added this guy called “Akuma” in Tekken 7 who would probably fit your needs but he didn’t come back in 8 for some reason :(

It sounds like you might like Law though. He feels more pressure-focused in 8 but a lot of his game is about using your legs smartly to keep people at the idea range for stupid bullshit more complex mixups

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Nazzadan posted:

Zafina was never popular anyways in 7 even when she was one of the best characters in the game, something about her has always kept her in the bottom few characters in every single Tekken game. I don't know if people are scared of her stances or just don't like her aesthetic or what, but regardless of her power level no one plays her.

Stances don’t feel like a big issue in Tekken but she has some weird rear end stances, so that might be part of it. There’s also the deliberate self harm factor without Jun’s capacity to heal it back up.

Anyway, no idea where she is tier wise, but I’ll keep trying to knowledge check the poo poo out of folks with her weirdness.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I've decided my most hated character is actually Claudio, by such a large degree it's truly silly.

Oh, that thing you learnt was 'punishable'? Too bad, it pushes you miles away, so you whiff and eat an Orbital anyway.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Is it Claudio's while running punch? I usually try to duck it and launch since it's pretty telegraphed. It causes them to try to mix it up with a mid but you can usually tell since they have to get closer and stop running.

Revins posted:

I really really do not miss negan especially. noctis was more annoying to fight but negan never shut the gently caress up

"ow ow godDAMNgodDAMN ow godDAMN!"

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

2 weeks and some days later I still haven't settled on a main yet. I thought I was all in with Leroy cus the dudes cool as hell, but then I look at all the cool poo poo guys like Vincent and Lars and Devil Jin and Kaz and Raven do and I'm like, if I'm gonna spend all this time playing a character at least I want to become a demon, or shoot guns or electricity and use swords.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.
Sure you can shoot a cool gun or have a flashy sword, but I've been all in on throwing fools in 20 different ways with King. Who cares if I lose, the opponent still has a bad time regardless.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I just like some good ol' fashioned nice martial arts choreography and mocap. Personally the characters who just kind of zoom around the screen and teleport or whatever kind of bore me because you can get that in any game. Nice choreography is way more impressive to me.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Nice Van My Man posted:

I just like some good ol' fashioned nice martial arts choreography and mocap. Personally the characters who just kind of zoom around the screen and teleport or whatever kind of bore me because you can get that in any game. Nice choreography is way more impressive to me.

this is why I like Leo, cool looking bajiquan inspired moveset

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Drone Incognito posted:

Sure you can shoot a cool gun or have a flashy sword, but I've been all in on throwing fools in 20 different ways with King. Who cares if I lose, the opponent still has a bad time regardless.

always love when i put someone in a chain grab and the special style controls keep flashing on screen as they hit every button trying to mash out

(its almost always 1 until you get to higher ranks and run into the chicken wing poo poo)

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Nice Van My Man posted:

Total agree. I miss vf a bunch.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Cat Machine posted:

They added this guy called “Akuma” in Tekken 7 who would probably fit your needs but he didn’t come back in 8 for some reason :(

It sounds like you might like Law though. He feels more pressure-focused in 8 but a lot of his game is about using your legs smartly to keep people at the idea range for stupid bullshit more complex mixups

Bryan is probably the biggest rear end in a top hat for playing keepout, 3+4, qcb1, are safe or plus and ch into full combos

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
So funny story. I am a lot better at Tekken if I use the color filters. Unfortunately they make the game look like pure poopy. Kinda sucks but I'll be out of yellow ranks in no time now. Jeez. Gonna have to take a screenshot so y'all can see what I mean it is horrifying.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Five Kazuya's in a row can yall wannabe edgy nerds gently caress off

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Spuckuk posted:

Bryan is probably the biggest rear end in a top hat for playing keepout, 3+4, qcb1, are safe or plus and ch into full combos

This, Bryan is *the* keep out character. Aforementioned 3+4 and qcb1 are great keepout tools, and he also has orbital heel which has almost the same range as 3+4 to stuff out low approaches like slides. Qcf1+2 is also a very sick gently caress Off button and is a heat engager, and once he's in heat he gets to party for a few seconds with 3+4,2 and Neo Mach Breaker (ff1+2). Once heat runs out as long as you weren't using a Snake Eyes move during it fizzling out you get one more free charge of Snake Eyes and you can run back out with your new life lead and resume keepout or press your advantage near a wall and switch to his still crazy wall pressure.

I will say once they are in on you though, Bryan is sorta struggling right now to get them back off without burning heat.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Fuckin love Bryan. I've been hitting punishment training hard since my slow reaction is my number one fault right now, missing chances to capitalize f b 2s on punishments. Ive also been updating my nazzadan combo repertoire. I'm not a fan of the knee pickups but gwd of destruction got some bnb combos doing 80+ dmg with em so I'm downloading it to the muscle memory. Almost in yellow ranks now and everyone still gets hit by the f 2 3 2 1 2 even when they block the rest. The day that gets blocked is when I'll stop going up in rank lmao. Also throw Alisa B in there in the zoner chat with weird mobile moves and projectiles and lingering hitbox chainsaws.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

That Gwd of Destruction guy does have a nasty Bryan and I do like his combos from a pure damage point of view, but one thing I never like when I watch other Bryans do combos or in combo videos is the lack of getting Snake Eyes mid combo. That to me is worth the reduction in damage. I haven't watched Ty's combo video. I'll have to see if he does the same.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

imagine im captain kirk but screaming VICTOOOOORRRRR instead of khan

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

unattended spaghetti posted:

So funny story. I am a lot better at Tekken if I use the color filters. Unfortunately they make the game look like pure poopy. Kinda sucks but I'll be out of yellow ranks in no time now. Jeez. Gonna have to take a screenshot so y'all can see what I mean it is horrifying.

That's interesting, I read people speculating that despite the color filters looking kinda neat they didn't really help anyone. So you're proving them wrong!

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Played some raven in casual matches as a cool down after ranked with feng and .... Dang he's really fun. I played a bit of M Raven in t7 but they made the movelist even cooler now. It's too deep a character for me to dive into at the moment but he is really fun to play and the visuals and aesthetic are awesome especially if you put on the full ninja garb. People have no idea what is happening when you use him.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Symbolic Butt posted:

That's interesting, I read people speculating that despite the color filters looking kinda neat they didn't really help anyone. So you're proving them wrong!

Oh I don't think they're good. They just help me get higher contrast and cut down on visual noise. I am probably an odd use case they didn't consider when they put those in, imho.

But nah, still suck rear end. I dunno goons. I can see the appeal of Tekken now, but I'm starting to think it just isn't for me. I get the concepts. I get what I should be doing, but try as I might I'm just not locking into it. It's too bad. I've had fun with it but I'm at the point where I'm more frustrated than inquisitive and that's the exact wrong mindset for fighting games, or anything you're trying to learn really.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

unattended spaghetti posted:

Oh I don't think they're good. They just help me get higher contrast and cut down on visual noise. I am probably an odd use case they didn't consider when they put those in, imho.

But nah, still suck rear end. I dunno goons. I can see the appeal of Tekken now, but I'm starting to think it just isn't for me. I get the concepts. I get what I should be doing, but try as I might I'm just not locking into it. It's too bad. I've had fun with it but I'm at the point where I'm more frustrated than inquisitive and that's the exact wrong mindset for fighting games, or anything you're trying to learn really.

If you're getting frustrated my first advice would honestly to find a buddy (or buddies) to play with, and chat with them while you play. There is a big difference between playing best of 3s against random online folk, getting hit with the 'bullshit stuff' of 32 characters in rapid succession, and sitting down for longer sets against a single person with only one or 2 characters--especially if you can chat about their 'bullshit' in between.

I don't know how active or what the level of the goon fgc discord is, but that might be a place to look if you don't already have someone.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Autsj posted:

If you're getting frustrated my first advice would honestly to find a buddy (or buddies) to play with, and chat with them while you play. There is a big difference between playing best of 3s against random online folk, getting hit with the 'bullshit stuff' of 32 characters in rapid succession, and sitting down for longer sets against a single person with only one or 2 characters--especially if you can chat about their 'bullshit' in between.

I don't know how active or what the level of the goon fgc discord is, but that might be a place to look if you don't already have someone.

That's a good idea. Gonna take a break and see how I feel in a week or so.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
this is crazy but the game is saving graphical settings to the steam cloud, gd namco, you almost blew up my steam deck by having it run on my desktops settgins!

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Autsj posted:

Seconding this. Playing Tekken against friends has made me want to get good, otherwise I would've just put the game down after 20 hours

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I think I found the right balance of a rad character with cool moves and cool effects - Raven.

It's funny because I used to play him a lot in Tekken 5 and just kind of gravitated away from him over time.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Playing paul again today. Getting owned a lot.

wigglin
Dec 19, 2007

Fighting games definitely have tougher competition on the weekdays. If you decide to quit the game on a Thursday then you don't get to beat up the weekend warriors after taking your weekday lumps.

Been having fun (occasionally) hitting people with Alisa's chainsaws and disembodied head and I've never been so sure of who my main would be in a game. I learn like a dozen new things whenever I boot up the game which has been alternately satisfying and overwhelming. It'll be a while before I have enough baseline control and knowledge to feel like I'm interacting with the game at its pace but I'm having a great time getting there.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

I think I found the right balance of a rad character with cool moves and cool effects - Raven.

It's funny because I used to play him a lot in Tekken 5 and just kind of gravitated away from him over time.

He's cool and I like the changes to the movelist from 7 to 8. My one gripe is, if raven and Zafina etc are going to have 16 frame launchers while most of the cast has 15 frame launchers, they need to turn RA on block to -16. Doesnt make sense everyone else can get a nice combo off that. RA on bloc in 7 was so negative that you could RA them back so its not like there wasnt precedent for it being higher.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Does paul have a decent attack from the ground on wake up?

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

As an admitted hater of ragearts/x-rays/repetitive cutscenes I also liked the punishing -frames in 7, it meant a blocked rage art = death 100% of the time so you basically never saw them in later ranks. Now the best option for some people is a high damage throw since it's automatic. not sure why since this probably doesn't change too much at the high level and they're OP regardless at the low level.

That said there's nothing quite as satisfying as a person going into their rage art start cutscene, doing their pose, saying "get ready for a knuckle sandwich!" then immediately eating poo poo and dying to a kick in the face through their iframes once the cutscene ends.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Real hurthling! posted:

Does paul have a decent attack from the ground on wake up?

I say this as a very new Tekken player so take this with a grain of salt but as far as I understand it wakeup attacks are mostly the same set of a couple kicks across characters with a few exceptions and are generally worse than just standing up or at least risky so I would imagine that Paul's are the same as everyone else's and probably not something you should lean too much on. I'm sure someone will correct me on that though

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Glagha posted:

I say this as a very new Tekken player so take this with a grain of salt but as far as I understand it wakeup attacks are mostly the same set of a couple kicks across characters with a few exceptions and are generally worse than just standing up or at least risky so I would imagine that Paul's are the same as everyone else's and probably not something you should lean too much on. I'm sure someone will correct me on that though

Yeah the only difference is 1+2 get up kick. Some characters have poo poo ones, some ok, and a few good

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
The most powerful move from being grounded is usually either holding back or just laying there like a depressed rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, also staying down is a good option new players usually ignore.

E- especially against new players who will usually rip off a long string in its entirety while you just lay there waiting to punish them