Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Vermintide was so good

The characters in Darktide just don't have the same charm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Breaks my heart to see that past tense.

Although they have just finished adding the final fourth class (Necromancer for Sienna), makes me wonder if Vermintide 3 is now in the works. I kind of hope so, instead of them wasting time on a 'versus mode' that no one is going to use.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Phlegmish posted:

Breaks my heart to see that past tense.

Although they have just finished adding the final fourth class (Necromancer for Sienna), makes me wonder if Vermintide 3 is now in the works. I kind of hope so, instead of them wasting time on a 'versus mode' that no one is going to use.

I didn't know V2 was still updating!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Jack Trades posted:

Ghostwire: Tokyo had pretty satisfying to use hand-spell-guns.

Yeah, this.

It's a solid lite-horror Japanese Far Cry, ripping out the cores of headless prancing school girls never gets old.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't know V2 was still updating!

Oh, yes. Just a few days ago they launched the alpha test for their versus mode that (presumably) almost no one is interested in.

Could be worth checking out if you haven't played in a long time. I love Grail Knight and (to a lesser extent) Sister of the Thorn, I'm more mixed on the other fourth classes (although Outcast Engineer is incredibly OP right now), but they definitely play differently.

Deakul posted:

ripping out the cores of headless prancing school girls never gets old.

A great out-of-context quote

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah, good point. Ghostwire has issues, but they're largely downstream from the actual magic pew pews, which have pretty good animations. I think they just needed a bit more feedback on the enemy side of things to really give them that last bit of oomph.

Phlegmish posted:

I love playing Sienna in Vermintide 2, especially Pyromancer with the beam staff. Whenever there's a horde, I let enemies get really close before I use the alternate mode (which she uses her left hand for, so that satisfies your requirement) to blast dozens of them at a time into a different area code.

I know half my posts involve VT2, but I am being completely sincere here, I think some of her builds have great kinetic feel.

I could only find this random YT video but I think it gets this across:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwX5uw0GeoM&t=384s

:hmmyes: The rhythmic blam blam blam is simple but good.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I finished Ghostwire: Tokyo, and aside from the setting, it just felt like a standard Ubisoft collectathon game.
Your character is also pretty much the only non-enemy character (outside of some scripted ghosts for certain quests) , so the entire world felt extremely empty.

It's a hard recommend at full prize, but if you think you can handle looking for hundreds, if not thousands, of scattered collectibles, it has some neat missions here and there.
Recommend it on sale though

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Abandon AAAAAA return to interactive fiction--

https://youtu.be/R91a-Fi-fGY

I love Lurking Horror, we had the Infocom Collection with all the included maps and stuff.
A modern remake of this as a point and click adventure game would be really neat.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

John Murdoch posted:

Has there ever been a magic-focused FPS that really nailed the feel of blasting poo poo with spells?

I mean specifically shooting stuff straight from the hands, rather than the Heretic/Amid Evil approach of magical implements.

The same old weird, flat combat that results from it was the first thing I noticed about Immortals of Aveum, and how it sure seems like they tried to compensate by just adding more Dr. Strange particles on top.

I got a pretty good kick out of Lichdom Battlemage. Reception was mixed, but it did make me feel like a badass wizard. Fast spells, charge spells, shields and blinks, from what I remember. It did start to feel repetitive, but the spell blastin' was pretty great, I thought.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

FishMcCool posted:

Or the pricetag, or the marketing.
The single thing I saw get the most traction about the game was the horrible TAA:

https://i.imgur.com/dAiM03N.mp4

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It's funny because nobody want's to admit that they just made a bad game.

Like, I'm seeing something similar right this moment: Helldivers 2 has a battlepass, microtransactions, and all the GAAS accoutrements that Sucide Squad does and yet everyone loves it and it's selling gangbusters for the simple fact that people really enjoy playing it.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Mordja posted:

Because that's not enough for a game to fail. A bad game sold cheap enough with good marketing can still sell. They just seem to have failed at everything, which is quite a feat.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mordja posted:

Like, I'm seeing something similar right this moment: Helldivers 2 has a battlepass, microtransactions, and all the GAAS accoutrements that Sucide Squad does and yet everyone loves it and it's selling gangbusters for the simple fact that people really enjoy playing it.

It's really nowhere close to the level of Suicide Squad. It has a premium currency that you can earn with in-game pickups and (at least so far) the stuff you can buy with that currency is a couple bucks as opposed to the $40 skin packs in Suicide Squad. The people carrying on about Helldivers having an in-game cash shop and bloviating about p2w in an exclusively PVE co-op game are really making it sound worse than it is. You are right though that people are more willing to put up with that stuff when the game is actually fun to play.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
I made a similar post elsewhere in this thread a while ago, but GaaS is a doomed business model to begin with. There is only so much time and money that people have that not everything can be a forever game printing money non-stop. Yet every publisher keep pushing this type of game. Sony just cancelled 6 of a planned 12 (:siren:) GaaS games.

I'm not in the games industry, nor even a business major, but even I can see that this is self-cannibalizing.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Maybe we can finally be rid of superhero media altogether

A man can dream

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

skeletronics posted:

I got a pretty good kick out of Lichdom Battlemage. Reception was mixed, but it did make me feel like a badass wizard. Fast spells, charge spells, shields and blinks, from what I remember. It did start to feel repetitive, but the spell blastin' was pretty great, I thought.

I can never remember the name of that game but honestly that's one of the ones I think of as having not really pulled it off. But my memory might be conflating that with the clunky spell customization stuff.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, as far as battle passes go, Helldivers really has one of the most player-friendly versions I've seen. The free track has much more stuff than the premium track (usually it's the other way around), it's not time-limited, premium currency can be gained ingame at a good rate, and real money exchange rates are pretty reasonable. :10bux: for the premium pass and about 2 bucks for a skin apiece is a whole lot better than the competition.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

John Murdoch posted:

Has there ever been a magic-focused FPS that really nailed the feel of blasting poo poo with spells?

I mean specifically shooting stuff straight from the hands, rather than the Heretic/Amid Evil approach of magical implements.

The same old weird, flat combat that results from it was the first thing I noticed about Immortals of Aveum, and how it sure seems like they tried to compensate by just adding more Dr. Strange particles on top.

Dark Messiah let you build your character as fighter/mage/thief (or some combination of the three), and so you could perfectly well make a nagic-focused character who slung all kinds of spells around.

skeletronics posted:

On the other hand, I got this when it was on sale for a dollar and I just couldn't stand it for more than a few levels.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Maybe we can finally be rid of superhero media altogether

A man can dream

If only :sigh:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Anno posted:

I mean, Elden Ring and especially BG3 are AAA games. Not service games really, but they both had hundreds of developers cranking away for a long time.

BG3 is an indie game.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

ZearothK posted:

BG3 is an indie game.

Then the term is meaningless

Unless you just mean they don't have a publisher

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Velocity Raptor posted:

I made a similar post elsewhere in this thread a while ago, but GaaS is a doomed business model to begin with. There is only so much time and money that people have that not everything can be a forever game printing money non-stop. Yet every publisher keep pushing this type of game. Sony just cancelled 6 of a planned 12 (:siren:) GaaS games.

I'm not in the games industry, nor even a business major, but even I can see that this is self-cannibalizing.

Yeah, it seems similar to MMOs, where business people thought there was some huge untapped market, but it actually has a fairly low ceiling. One or two will stick around forever, but most of these also-rans are doomed from the start.

There was an article on GamesIndustry.biz last week about it: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/the-live-service-model-is-all-played-out-opinion

quote:

In the space of just a few years, that's a paradigm that's gone from being on top of the world – incredibly successful and broadly welcomed by players as a way to ensure ongoing support for their favourite titles, as well as being more transparent and player-friendly (in theory) than the "pay-to-win" style microtransactions that were public enemy number one at the time – to being for all intents and purposes an epithet.

In 2024, calling your game "live service" might as well be tantamount to telling players it's going to creep into their house at night and kill their dog. The online response to stylish, promising-looking game trailers at awards shows and announcement livestreams notably tanks at the point when players figure out that it's going to be a live service title. Tastes have shifted dramatically, and many publishers and developers have been caught on the hop.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

John Murdoch posted:

I can never remember the name of that game but honestly that's one of the ones I think of as having not really pulled it off. But my memory might be conflating that with the clunky spell customization stuff.

I enjoyed the feeling of throwing out big nukes, but everything else seemed unnecessary. Like all the different spell types were barely different from each other, and combat always boiled down to using one spell to apply vulnerability, followed by a nuke, so if that didn't click, you're not going to enjoy it.

I think there was also a mind control effect, but I never got much out of that as the enemy ai wasn't good enough to be useful.

There was a way to combine spells to get bigger effects, like a cc or vortex to get better use out of the apes, but again I don't remember the details.

Idk, it clicked with me enough to finish the game, even though the last quarter of it felt like the game could ended already.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

ZearothK posted:

BG3 is an indie game.

That's like saying starfield is an indie game because Bethesda self published

mystes
May 31, 2006

Indie has a lot of meaning, just like roguelike

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

I don't think anyone should be saying that BG3 is an indie game, even if Larian are actually independent, but your comparison just doesn't work, because Larian aren't owned by loving Microsoft.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

mystes posted:

Indie has a lot of meaning, just like roguelike

So does triple A

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

SirSamVimes posted:

Ehhh, Bethesda are literally owned by Microsoft, while Larian doesn't even have investors to answer to. By any measure, they are independent.

The thing that makes BG3 not an indie game is that it's an officially licensed D&D product :v:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think of indie games as having low budgets and the dev studio self funds and publishes, but even that is problematic because what does that actually mean? what is the threshold between indie and large budget game studio? Baldur's Gate 3 arguably isn't an indie game, it was crowdfunded and had investors as well.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

AAA just means "high budget." BG3 is a AAA game, as is Elden Ring, as is Final Fantasy 16, as is Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Forgot that Bethesda has a parent so fair point. Ubisoft and Assassin's Creed then?

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
BG3 might not be indie, but the earlier Larian games sure are.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Indie is a vibe, like Imagine Dragons.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

exquisite tea posted:

AAA just means "high budget." BG3 is a AAA game, as is Elden Ring, as is Final Fantasy 16, as is Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League.

AAA don't mean poo poo anymore now that AAAA has entered the ring.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

Forgot that Bethesda has a parent so fair point. Ubisoft and Assassin's Creed then?

For indie game? UBISoft is both its own publisher and developer, but it has like 20+ studios and employees more people than any other game developer in the world. Their games have like 10,000 employees listed in the credits. Avatar Frontier of Pandora has an over 1 hour long end credits.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Honestly I feel like the line is so blurred now that I just dont bother to think about it. The indie / AAA labels mean absolutely nothing to me. I just want good games.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Larian was a bona fide indie company at one point but Tencent owns 30% of them now.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

That's the point yeah

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Indie is a game I liked and was following before you did, but it's not the same now that it's gone full AAA and I don't care for it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Volte posted:

Larian was a bona fide indie company at one point but Tencent owns 30% of them now.

Its easier at this point to list the companies not owned by Tencent.