Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

SH1 maybe but Covenant is pretty much Goth Looney Tunes and that's why it rules

Look I just want more people to play SH2 so I'm calling it a mature game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't think being silly or funny makes something not mature. (I mean the frigging Yakuza series was cited as one.)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Honest Thief posted:

xp was such a stepup from 2k3, i look at both very fondly, esp when i was doing stealth minigames out of the event switches features, and my own original sephirots with iDraw and Setzer's spritesheets
:unsmith:

How much control does xp give you over the battle system? Will I be fighting the editor much if I try to do something like eg FF 4 Heroes of Light?

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 13, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you can do almost any battle system in xp, but it requires some coding knowledge to get it outside of the very basic back and forth it starts with (or copying code other people have made)

like people have gotten the ar tonelico battle system going in xp so i assume someones done something similar to 4 heroes

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

the name change to Like a Dragon threw me off a bit. It was the first one I played.
I played it and it was jrpg style, so I was like "oh so its a spin-off with cameos from these random people from Tekken like Kazuma"

but its the actual western name change now for the series to be more accurate. So Infinite Wealth ect is all part of the main line is what I'm taking.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

How much control does xp give you over the battle system? Will I be fighting the editor much if I try to do something like eg FF 4 Heroes of Light?

If u want a bespoke fighting engine then you'll have to basically code one out of stratch. I recall 2k3 havijg some very impressive ff6 clones despite being limited to events switching but u could do it, with XP u had access to actual coding with Ruby.

The top ranked games at the time basically featured atb recreations with overly elaborate bars and custom UI.

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 13, 2024

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

RPG Maker XP is extensible through a domain-specific variant of Ruby scripting called Ruby Game Scripting Syntax. If you can code Ruby you can do pretty much anything (albeit with no guarantees it won't plummet your framerate)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think being silly or funny makes something not mature. (I mean the frigging Yakuza series was cited as one.)

Yeah as soon as anyone asked me any follow up questions or for examples I realized I had no idea what I was talking about or asking for. That's why one of the only examples I had was how graphic the violence is depicted because I had a deer in headlights reaction like: 'Oh god what do I actually mean?' Like that Billy Eichner 'For 1$, name a woman' bit. I just couldn't actually think of anything, plot, scenes, character dynamics, 0 examples.

I don't think that any media no matter the rating has to maintain one tone throughout the entire work though, that's kinda crazy. I mean you probably want to keep a horror movie or game low on slapstick humor but there's varying degrees to every thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Now I want to see a horror game full of slapstick it is just all the slapstick is incredibly dangerous and lethal and you have to navigate situations to avoid getting caught in wacky antics or you die horribly, with the tension coming from trying to figure out how to avoid triggering a dangerous 'comedic' response.

Just like "Protagonist-kun you BAKA *hits with a hammer*" *protagonist's head caves in, GAME OVER.*

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
should make a typing of the dead sequel

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

should make a typing of the dead sequel

https://store.steampowered.com/app/246580/The_Typing_of_The_Dead_Overkill/

They did that already

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

Now I want to see a horror game full of slapstick it is just all the slapstick is incredibly dangerous and lethal and you have to navigate situations to avoid getting caught in wacky antics or you die horribly, with the tension coming from trying to figure out how to avoid triggering a dangerous 'comedic' response.

Just like "Protagonist-kun you BAKA *hits with a hammer*" *protagonist's head caves in, GAME OVER.*

Isn't that Illbleed

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Twice, though the first one is still Japanese only, which is probably why it's not as famous.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Isn't that Illbleed

Illbleed is more just a surreal parody of movies more than anything. Maybe Deception is closer to what I'm thinking.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ImpAtom posted:

I Want To Be The Protagonist

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Has anyone here played WitchSpring R? It's on Steam and is basically an Atelier-like, from what I've experienced in the first 90 minutes. I have a friend who played through it and liked it last year but I'm not sure it's really going to develop in a way I'm gonna want to stick with, curious if anyone else here has tried it so I can get more opinions before I can no longer refund it.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

abraham linksys posted:

Has anyone here played WitchSpring R? It's on Steam and is basically an Atelier-like, from what I've experienced in the first 90 minutes. I have a friend who played through it and liked it last year but I'm not sure it's really going to develop in a way I'm gonna want to stick with, curious if anyone else here has tried it so I can get more opinions before I can no longer refund it.

I liked it a lot, it definitely like a budget atelier game. It was a breezy game with an easy combat system and a straightforward plot but a fair bit of charm. What specifically are you worried about?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

the concept of a budget atelier is kinda funny

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm actually really, really enjoying Tales of Berseria, enough that I'm probably going to try out the rest of the games.

Based on the responses here, I'll probably try either Abyss or Graces next.

Thanks for the suggestions, RPG Thread!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Annath posted:

I'm actually really, really enjoying Tales of Berseria, enough that I'm probably going to try out the rest of the games.

Based on the responses here, I'll probably try either Abyss or Graces next.

Thanks for the suggestions, RPG Thread!

Is there a definitive list of the good Tales games, including what versions?

It's like the Star Trek movie effect, where every other movie is poo poo, but also some of the ports to Steam are weirdly broken or 30 fps locked.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

really loved Graces, and the Xillias

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Meowywitch posted:

the concept of a budget atelier is kinda funny

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

pentyne posted:

It's like the Star Trek movie effect, where every other movie is poo poo, but also some of the ports to Steam are weirdly broken or 30 fps locked.

the good tales games are, most of them outside of tales of the tempest. it's going to seriously depend heavily on who you're talking to because there are clusters of tales games similar and different enough to attract their own fanbases. plenty of people in this thread who love vesperia and arise but don't like berseria

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

GateOfD posted:

the name change to Like a Dragon threw me off a bit. It was the first one I played.
I played it and it was jrpg style, so I was like "oh so its a spin-off with cameos from these random people from Tekken like Kazuma"

but its the actual western name change now for the series to be more accurate. So Infinite Wealth ect is all part of the main line is what I'm taking.

how did you mix up kazuma kiryu and kazuya mishima

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
kazuma kiryu does not have the devil gene, cannot do an electric, and has never thrown or been thrown by his dad down a cliff

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway i think symphonia is the only pc port that's broken but that's because every port of symphonia is a hack job of a hack job. the ps2 port was bad, so the ps3 port was bad and so on. symphonia's vicious port cycle will never come to an end. all the other games work fine. zestiria is locked to 30fps by default but that's just the engine, it doesn't go over 30 on console either. berseria and vesperia's ports are good

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

kazuma kiryu does not have the devil gene, cannot do an electric, and has never thrown or been thrown by his dad down a cliff

You can't prove any of those things.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Didn't Kiryu's dad die when he was an infant

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
it does feature cameos from other 3d fighting characters in the form of vitrua fighter arcade machines tho

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pentyne posted:

the only pc port with issues is symphonia, zestiria/berseria/arise are all fine.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Gaius Marius posted:

Didn't Kiryu's dad die when he was an infant

That doesn't rule out baby throwing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

as for 'good tales games' the issue is everyone has different opinions because to some people symphonia is a beloved jrpg classic and to some people its one of the worst modern tales games

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
again the overall fan favorite counting the jp fanbase is tales of destiny. and tales of destiny is like. a kinda mid ps1 rpg with yaoi. but that yaoi brought it so far it got one of the highest effort remakes i've ever seen, that added even more yaoi

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like the tales crossover comedy special where they get talking about all the iconic villains across the series and when they get to talking about the bad guy of tales of destiny they're like "oh yeah, him. he wanted... things? i think he had a motivation"

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Does anyone like Zestiria? Like, people like Sorey and Mikleo, but does anyone like the game itself?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

his motivation was sky racism and a sick space background for his body horror form 2

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Aethersphere is still such a sick idea

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i like the tales crossover comedy special where they get talking about all the iconic villains across the series and when they get to talking about the bad guy of tales of destiny they're like "oh yeah, him. he wanted... things? i think he had a motivation"
i like the bit in the pachislot where they depict that guys defeat as the joke party member punching him in the face

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I like the part in Destiny PSX when at the end of the game you go to recruit Chelsea and she's just sitting on Woodrow's throne and wearing his cape lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Hellioning posted:

Does anyone like Zestiria? Like, people like Sorey and Mikleo, but does anyone like the game itself?
Yeah ofc, it's just a game with a lot of valid problems but it's not like it's a total turd. If you're into the idea of fusing into a powerful being then you can probably enjoy the game on that alone. It still has the core of a Tales game with skits, music, the power of friendship, etc