Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

When it comes to fandom, more and more people should start to say fandon't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Panfilo posted:

So there's just as many Simpsons fans getting bullied into committing suicide as other cartoons?

Is there any way to determine this though?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I can't think of an interest of humanity that doesn't have a fervently vicious subset because hey, there are assholes in every group and assholes gonna rear end in a top hat. Cars, phones, computers, dog breeds, clothing brands, forms of therapy, mental or physical impairments, gender identity, religion, forms of government, hot dog toppings, pizza...

We literally kill each other all the times because of "opinion that doesn't affect me but I don't like it." Ghost Leviathan mentioned sports, where fans have repeatedly gone on rampage because their team won/lost. I was just reading about the Straw Hat Riots of 1922 where people were getting attacked en masse for wearing straw hats after September 15th.

We always, always do this poo poo because a cause makes people with too much anger feel righteous, even when the cause is loving stupid.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and the Zoot Suit Riots (which isn't just a Cherry Poppin' Daddies song) was over a cut of suit - and racism, because almost every riot in the US has some form of racism at the root of it. Fandom can be cool and many pros started in fandom, but it's important to have the ability to recognize when things are nuts and step back.

Social media unfortunately makes it very easy to rile people up and get into a mob mentality.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Srice posted:

When it comes to fandom, more and more people should start to say fandon't.

Are you a fandom or a fansub?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Antisocial and homicidal fandom behavior is a product of demographics that are alienated from control over their lives and environments. When you still live in your mom's house for whatever reason you have very little control over your actual life compared to the boomers who still post about season 6 of The Simpsons. When people like this have an opportunity to make an impact they often don't care what form that impact takes. As long as they feel powerful and influential they will find moral justifications for any act that gives them power and influence.

Some of this alienation is due to straight up age. Teenagers have no positive control over their own environments but tremendous ability to wreak havoc on other people. As wealth stratification across class and generational lines becomes more stark, The upper age boundary on this disenfranchised demographic rises continuously well into the twenties.

As discussed above, neurodivergence plays a major part also. These factors are not independent. Hyperfixation, rigid moral structures, and social dysfunction all contribute to antisocial behavior within fandom, and some fandoms are going to attract more intense hyperfixation than others for a variety of aesthetic and subject-matter reasons.

Some say that children's media is particularly prone also, because it is seen as morally instructive and poor moral instruction is there for a threat to children. I think there is the degree to which this is true, but I think this is diffused by the fact that, increasingly, all media is for children. The young adult demographic ranges from age 11 to age 40 now, especially if the media in question features any sort of fantastical or science fictional elements.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
It's mostly just that the things I am a fan of are better and objectively good, and the things you are a fan of are childish and have stunted your growth.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
There's definitely something harmful about how some people over-identify with their media consumption but at the same time its not exactly a mystery why people form communities around the stories they like.

mystes
May 31, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

Antisocial and homicidal fandom behavior is a product of demographics that are alienated from control over their lives and environments. When you still live in your mom's house for whatever reason you have very little control over your actual life compared to the boomers who still post about season 6 of The Simpsons. When people like this have an opportunity to make an impact they often don't care what form that impact takes. As long as they feel powerful and influential they will find moral justifications for any act that gives them power and influence.

Some of this alienation is due to straight up age. Teenagers have no positive control over their own environments but tremendous ability to wreak havoc on other people. As wealth stratification across class and generational lines becomes more stark, The upper age boundary on this disenfranchised demographic rises continuously well into the twenties.

As discussed above, neurodivergence plays a major part also. These factors are not independent. Hyperfixation, rigid moral structures, and social dysfunction all contribute to antisocial behavior within fandom, and some fandoms are going to attract more intense hyperfixation than others for a variety of aesthetic and subject-matter reasons.

Some say that children's media is particularly prone also, because it is seen as morally instructive and poor moral instruction is there for a threat to children. I think there is the degree to which this is true, but I think this is diffused by the fact that, increasingly, all media is for children. The young adult demographic ranges from age 11 to age 40 now, especially if the media in question features any sort of fantastical or science fictional elements.
Thank you, this post has convinced me that people who are obsessed with hazbin hotel ships are no weirder than goons.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

mystes posted:

Thank you, this post has convinced me that people who are obsessed with hazbin hotel ships are no weirder than goons.

dont insult the hazbin hotel shippers like that.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

DoctorWhat posted:

I wonder if the Geek social fallacies play into this. If you always feel like a misfit rejected for arbitrary things, it's going to be hard to enforce boundaries that might make you look like the bad guy. So people that make others unsafe don't really get dealt with early on. I know aspects of furry fandoms had this problem. It wasn't that furries themselves were necessarily sex predators it's just that a lot of fans had a hard time dealing with people like that in their community. It seems like the more niche the Fandom the worse this tends to be because it's progressively more isolated from mainstream IPs.

Another competing theory I've heard is that some groups are actually far more quick to call out problematic behavior which draws more attention and association as a result. This can make a community appear to have a lot of social problems when the opposite in fact is true.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

CelticPredator posted:

I would like to read people discuss why everyone is so rabid about fake relationships. I get why people would want to write it. I get why people get into it.

I don’t understand why people fight about it
eh, everyone needs a hobby

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Panfilo posted:

Another competing theory I've heard is that some groups are actually far more quick to call out problematic behavior which draws more attention and association as a result. This can make a community appear to have a lot of social problems when the opposite in fact is true.

A frustrating consequence of the COVID era crackdown on sexual misconduct and antisocial behavior in the Super Smash Bros competitive community was that the smash community developed a reputation as being full of predators, rather than a reputation for exposing predators and driving them away.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Das Boo posted:

I was just reading about the Straw Hat Riots of 1922 where people were getting attacked en masse for wearing straw hats after September 15th.

Goddamn one piece has been airing for a long time

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think one should also be cautious of attributing everything to a single lurid cause, lest this become a "the Columbine shooter owned a copy of Counterstrike" sort of thing. A lot of people on the internet would be depressed or antisocial without cartoons, there isn't an answer that will Explain Everything.

mycot fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 13, 2024

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

mycot posted:

I think one should also be cautious of attributing everything to a single lurid cause, lest this become a "the Columbine shooter owned a copy of Counterstrike" sort of thing. A lot of people on the internet would be depressed or antisocial without cartoons, there isn't an answer that will Explain Everything.

counterstrike wasn't even released yet, the columbine kids were Doom boys

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I finally got around to watching across the spiderverse.

And jeebus…that is one hell of an animation. I’m not sure I’d say I find it pretty, but it’s so drat inventive and spectacular to watch. The different clashing artstyles that still somehow work.
Hindu spider-man and his diabolo webbing manoeuvres. Everything is a treat in animation seeming like every frame had thought and care put into it.
So much happens in the story yet somehow doesn’t feel crowded.
This is a bloody good animation movie.

Dang shame about that ending.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

CelticPredator posted:

im gonna start another riot if they don't wrap things up by 2027

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

Oda actually died in the 2000s and One Piece has been written by his brain in a jar since then. All subsequent public appearances have been an advanced hologram.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Lazy_Liberal posted:

im gonna start another riot if they don't wrap things up by 2027

It legitimately is clearly heading towards a conclusion at this point, it's definitely in the endgame.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It legitimately is clearly heading towards a conclusion at this point, it's definitely in the endgame.

so that'll be another 20 years for the anime.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/XBusiness/status/1757566794171117868?t=12zRQDbl-6tO8cZ2bix7yA&s=19

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Continuing my watchthrough of all WDAS movies with Fantasia:

This is one of the few early Disney movies that I actually have seen since childhood, although even that was a while ago. It's kind of fascinating this movie exists at all. It's like the exact opposite of the recent live action remakes: this weird art film that feels like it was made not out of any commercial appeal, but just as an experiment to see what exactly you can do with feature-length high-budget animation. And on a technical and artistic level, it's fantastic, with some really beautiful animation that fits great with the music.

As a viewing experience...well, I'm posting this about three weeks after watching Snow White and Pinocchio because I actually fell asleep about halfway through watching it the first time. The sequences themselves are kind of a mixed bag in that regard, with some excellent ones and others that feel like a bit of a drag. In order:

Toccata and Fugue in D Minor
One of the stranger ones, this is basically an abstract art film. This one is mostly about the possibilities of combining shape and color with music in varying ways, and while it's not the most exciting segment, it's pretty cool the ways that the mood of the music is conveyed visually.

The Nutcracker Suite
One of my least favorites. Like it's fine aside from the racist mushrooms, and admittedly this was in the part I watched a couple weeks ago while half asleep, but nothing really sticks out here one way or the other.

The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
And we go right from one of the least interesting to the best sequence. This is the one everyone associates with Fantasia, including the marketing by Disney, and for good reason! One of two sequences in the movie that I'd say are primarily comedy, it tells a fun narrative completely visually, with a lot of personality in the animation that brings real life to the characters and story, including somehow making a broom into a compelling antagonist.

Rite of Spring
The first half is cool visually, with the formation of the earth, but not all that exciting to watch. The second half with the dinosaurs is excellent, and while some of the dinosaur portrayals are a bit dated scientifically (including, notably, no comet involved in their extinction, which was still decades away as a theory), they also feel surprisingly modern in some ways, particularly the speed and agility that the animators give them. The animation is great for all of these so I'm refraining from saying that all the time, but the dinosaurs particularly feel lifelike here, and notably like a serious portrayal of a real animal rather than a cartoon or monster.

Pastoral Symphony
Another fine, if not great one. The Pegasus stuff is cute and fun, the centaur parts are weirdly horny and last too long, and the best part is Zeus and Hephaestus just having a blast laying waste to the world with lightning. I wonder if Hercules borrowed some of the design elements for their gods from here; there's definitely similarities.

Dance of the Hours
The other comedy sequence, and another highlight. Just a ton of character in the animal dancers, and a lot of fun.

Night on Bald Mountain/Ave Maria
Closing on a high note, we get one of the other iconic elements of the movie with Satan/Chernabog, who is excellently creepy. This one is less about narrative than atmosphere, but it's some really good atmosphere, and it doesn't outstay its welcome.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Sorcerer's Apprentice is so well-timed that if you hear Dukas' composition in isolation and close your eyes, you can pretty much perfectly recreate the entire sequence in your head.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

thanks i hate it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Weirdly horny is about on theme for centaurs at least.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
No one left at twitter can write? That took me a couple of tries to parse what it was saying. Also, fuckin lol, no I don’t want to watch anything over it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Twitter, the platform with the famously high-quality video compression settings.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The_Doctor posted:

No one left at twitter can write? That took me a couple of tries to parse what it was saying. Also, fuckin lol, no I don’t want to watch anything over it.

It kind of scans like a first pass translation.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

DoctorWhat posted:

There’s also a lack of alternative vessels for that level of emotional investment. I feel like religion (as bullshit as it may be) used to act as a heat sink for this kind of thing but now that nobody believes in god anymore (especially American Christians) all that energy is finding it’s way into these fictional worlds because they are the only part of modern living that consistently feels good for a lot of people.

See also: Political leaders, war heroes, movie stars, ones neighbors and community, etc.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Watched the Welcome Home Franklin Peanuts special today. It's pretty decent for what it it. I don't want to oversell it but the people who made it clearly cared about what they were making and it's worth checking out if you like Peanuts stuff.

Also Franklin is now Charlie Brown's canon BFF. I support this retcon.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Who else does he have? Linus? Marcie?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Tonight, a double feature of baby animals traumatically separated from their parents: Dumbo and Bambi.

Dumbo
If you'd asked me before this rewatch what Dumbo was about, I probably would have focused on the whole "flying with a magic feather until he learns the real power was inside him all along" thing. It turns that's like the last five minutes, and the "you didn't need the magic feather" bit happens the first time he flies in public, takes about 15 seconds, and is pretty much the last plot point in the whole movie. And given that they pack all those story beats into such a short period means they must have had more plot than they knew what to do with, right?

Well, no. Dumbo is not really a movie where things happen, at least until the end. It feels padded and rushed at different times, which is a weird combo. It's also a noticeable step back visually, having been both animated on the cheap and having the animators strike during its production. It also has the dubious honor of being the first movie chronologically to get a content warning about offensive stereotypes on Disney Plus, and the less said about that the better.

Oh, and then it just ends! Dumbo can fly, we instantly cut to a montage to tell us that Dumbo became famous and everything worked out for his mom offscreen. That's like the one emotionally resonant part of the movie and they couldn't even bother to pay it off.

So overall this was not a great one, the big exception to a lot of this being the Pink Elephants on Parade sequence. This feels like where all the style and effort went. It's a great, psychedelic sequence with some fun design and animation work, and not really surprising that it's one of the most memorable parts.

Bambi
Now that's more like it. Bambi feels like a lot of the things in Dumbo done right. It's also very light on plot, but it feels a lot like Fantasia in that way where it uses mood and color and music instead to keep it interesting. It often treads a pretty fine line between cute and treacly in the first half, but it mostly stays on the right side of that line, and Bambi stumbling around remains adorable. Also Thumper is great.

And my god, let's not forget that this is an incredibly good looking movie. Every frame is a gorgeous painting. The color palette is so lush, with greens and browns in the early parts, cool whites and blues dominating in winter, pastels in spring, and angry reds for the fire. It's also just beautifully directed, with some genuinely interesting shots and really stylish sequences like the fight between Bambi and the other male. The animators famously used real animals as reference, and that really comes across in the finished movie sometimes feeling like an animated nature documentary.

And of course, it has the most evil Disney villain of them all:

Seriously, the role of humans is done really well. They're never seen directly, but in every scene they're featured, their looming presence and the feel of terror is conveyed so well. The fire at the end is terrifying in how it's presented, practically apocalyptic, and works great to show how devastating humans are to this world.

I hadn't seen this since childhood and had forgotten how great it was. I think Pinocchio is still my top movie so far in this watch through, but Bambi is a close second.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 18, 2024

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Dumbo has the honor of being the movie that saved Disney. I don't know if the remake is any good but it is longer and i don't think I need to see a longer version of that story.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ccs posted:

Dumbo has the honor of being the movie that saved Disney. I don't know if the remake is any good but it is longer and i don't think I need to see a longer version of that story.

No

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

the remake has two major strikes:

It focuses on the humans

and it's Tim Burton being Tim Burton

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
yeah it was real weird to have the crows all played by helena bonham carter

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Nikumatic posted:

yeah it was real weird to have the crows all played by helena bonham carter

I honestly can't tell if this is a joke or not.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Helena Bonham Carter hasn’t been in a Tim Burton film in over ten years, can we get a new joke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Lord Hydronium posted:

Seriously, the role of humans is done really well. They're never seen directly, but in every scene they're featured, their looming presence and the feel of terror is conveyed so well. The fire at the end is terrifying in how it's presented, practically apocalyptic, and works great to show how devastating humans are to this world.

I hadn't seen this since childhood and had forgotten how great it was. I think Pinocchio is still my top movie so far in this watch through, but Bambi is a close second.

I also haven't seen Bambi since I was a child and it was only once, but I can vividly recall the fire at the end. It's incredibly powerful imagery.