Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Has anyone tried building a TV into a table or using a projector to project a map onto a table? Is the effort worth it?

Edit: After some research it looks like it might be more sensible to put a TV in a wooden case and put that on the table. Projectors aren't bright enough for a fully-lit room and building TVs into tables means you can't use the table for much else.

Gort fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I want to run Wildsea, but I just finished seven years running a D&D setting that was very nearly Wildsea already, and my players would mutiny. One day!

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Lemon-Lime posted:

I've been reading Wildsea and the following image sums up my feelings about the game:

Woah, when did they make a Bionicle RPG?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Kestral posted:

my players would mutiny
Sounds like a good premise for a Wildsea game

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

mllaneza posted:

Reading Wildsea is cool and good and more people should try it.

It is, but if they don't somehow end up with the Fallen London license to make a Sunless Sea game out of, it'll be the mother of all missed opportunities.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kestral posted:

I want to run Wildsea, but I just finished seven years running a D&D setting that was very nearly Wildsea already, and my players would mutiny. One day!
"-and that tale's as true as I'm standing before you," grins the strange looking taleteller as his hat begins to make the rounds. Seven nights he'd been telling it, and you delayed casting off just to hear the finish. Speaking of, where were you going again?

Splicer fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 13, 2024

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Gort posted:

Has anyone tried building a TV into a table or using a projector to project a map onto a table? Is the effort worth it?

Edit: After some research it looks like it might be more sensible to put a TV in a wooden case and put that on the table. Projectors aren't bright enough for a fully-lit room and building TVs into tables means you can't use the table for much else.

I had a millionaire friend who had a high-end home TV/movie projector jankily mounted on some wooden beams over his super fancy gaming table. It worked pretty well!

If you mount it in something, table or case, presumably you're going to put something over it to protect it and possibly use real minis on top. Be sure to put the grid on the plexi sheet, or have one with the grid available or whatever, and don't rely on the map on the TV. The gap between the plastic cover and TV is going to make the perspective wonky and hard to deal with, but it's a lot harder with the grid itself being off instead of just the terrain it's on top of.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

That Old Tree posted:

I had a millionaire friend who had a high-end home TV/movie projector jankily mounted on some wooden beams over his super fancy gaming table. It worked pretty well!

Even millionaires can't afford the official terrain!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I used to game at an LGS that had a substantial Warhammer/40k tournament scene for being next door to loving Iowa and even they didn't use official terrain, they had an extensive collection of scratch built though.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
My hobby store has a huge collection of both. I'm honestly shocked, there were only 5 or 6 terrain settings last time I was there 6 years ago.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Gort posted:

A friend of mine has a table with an integrated TV and I'd say it's worth it if you don't have nostalgia for battlemats and you don't mind maps that are kind of narrow.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
I'm thinking of writing an article series on mental health and its depictions in RPGs. I've already hit up the World of Darkness thread and got some good information relating to those games. I know about Call of Cthulhu and Delta Green already. I've heard about the weird disorder table in TMNT and Other Strangeness.

Are there other games that (for good or bad) made mental health a major part of the game?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sionak posted:

I'm thinking of writing an article series on mental health and its depictions in RPGs. I've already hit up the World of Darkness thread and got some good information relating to those games. I know about Call of Cthulhu and Delta Green already. I've heard about the weird disorder table in TMNT and Other Strangeness.

Are there other games that (for good or bad) made mental health a major part of the game?

I would definitely check out Unknown Armies and Glitch. Unknown Armies has a system where characters gradually become "hardened" to stressors they encounter frequently, which is beneficial in that narrow context but tends to render them less capable in other contexts, and Glitch is basically an extended supernatural metaphor for executive dysfunction and depression.

Or not quite "metaphor" but -- well, basically just read Glitch, it's the closest thing I can think of to a genuinely positive portrayal of mental illness through game mechanics. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 13, 2024

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

I’d add Trail of Cthulhu, which takes a slightly different approach to mental health rules as a reaction to Call of Cthulhu.

It’s also worth comparing Unknown Armies 1st edition and 3rd edition, since the rules evolved.

Obscure but still available: Chameleon Eclectic’s Psychosis series, starting with Ship of Fools. Unique early indie game.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Has ToC been updated? I like the game a lot, but I appreciate the way Night's Black Agents makes the whole thing more elegant and streamlined.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I haven't read it, but Pendragon's "madness" rules are sometimes discussed in this context as interesting because they're trying to emulate tropes very different from the Cthulhu ones.

Gorelab posted:

Honestly, I think Pendragon is the only game with 'madness' rules I like. And that isn't trying to be some specific mental illness and more is 'Dramatic Arthurian tantrum for a year or so'.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And usually resolved by running naked into the woods and coming back a year later having been taken care of by a kind maiden, a mysterious holy hermit and/or the fairies, possibly having gone on some stranger than usual adventure.

Oddly enough one of the better ways to handle sensitive topics in genre media is to go the opposite way from trying to apply modern frameworks to them, because the latter often ends up with the worst of both worlds.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Thanks all. Those all sound really interesting in their own right. I'd never heard of Glitch. It would be great to have some more positive and unique (like Pendragon) examples, too.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Sionak posted:

Red Markets. The game about scavenging in a zombie apocalypse to make rent and pay for your kids' insulin. The mental health mechanics themselves aren't anything complex. That said, its the only game I've ever had to end a session with "its going to be okay guys, its just a game."

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
The base example is always Call of Cthulhu but it’s not really positive as the idea of having “mental HP” is perniciously wrong. At least it doesn’t connect it with suicide in the way some video games or movies do.

Unknown Armies 1e and 2e are quite clear on the fact that to be able to use magic you have to be unhealthily obsessed or potentially mentally ill. UA 3e goes further and requires you to be mentally afflicted in order to be good at fighting (which kind of comes up in 2e as well, but less directly)

Red Markets has an optional mechanic which directly models the irrational mental effect of long term poverty. Reactions to this I’ve seen online range from “that’s stupid” to sympathetic tears.

Glitch is.. odd? It kind of takes a mental affliction but turns it into a supernatural property, but it’s still not a positive one. The only awkward thing is that the class the PCs fit into are the villains of the wider setting, although even that could be vaguely representative (ie, most sad people aren’t bad, but many bad people are sad) I guess?

Chuubo’s, The Jennaverse game immediately before Glitch might also do this to some extent, as some of the standard PCs are Glitched and some could potentially represent other issues (Seizhi). That said, I finally got into a game and getting to play basically a manic pixie dream girl for a few hours may have actually made me a bit less depressed :)

Perfect has villains that deliberately induce mental illness as a punishment for crime, although it’s so obscure there’s little detail. Don’t Rest Your Head has a ton of insanity metaphors as monsters. Underworld had one or two as items.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
I have a general question with a sort of specific application.

What in general do you want to see from the second edition of a game you liked the first edition of?

(If you want to tell me specific things you'd like to see from a second edition of Strike!, you can do that, too.)

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
A revision summary!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Sionak posted:

The Alien RPG has a stress mechanic that is pretty core to play. Stress gives you more dice for checks but bad results on the stress dice cause your character to react in increasingly severe ways

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

There's also A Penny For Your Thoughts which seems like a very intense therapy session from the one AP I listened to

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Jimbozig posted:

(If you want to tell me specific things you'd like to see from a second edition of Strike!, you can do that, too.)

So I ran an absolute ton of Strike for the same three players in settings ranging from Warhammer Fantasy to Shadowrun to the Like a Dragon video games, and it was a blast. Here's what I reckon worked, what I reckon didn't work, what could've worked better with a bit of adjustment, and what I'd like added.

Things that are so good they shouldn't be altered:

*The skill system. Being able to generate the outcome of any situation with a single D6 to the granularity of success with a bonus/success/success with a cost/twist/twist with a cost is so good I've often ported it to other games that I feel have worse skill systems. (EG: Gubat Banwa) Players love learning skills in play, and like being able to look over their character sheets at the end of a long campaign and remember the time they learned "Getting out of the way of cannonballs" or "Ultimate pullup" or "Big leg". Don't touch the skill system.

*The attack system. So many RPGs have rubbish attack systems that use way too many dice and have too many stages to get to the basic good hit/hit/bad hit/miss results. Doing it all with a single D6 is great. Don't touch the attack system.

Things that are good but could be better with adjustment:

*I really like the concept that player character damage goes up a lot with levels, but their hitpoints stay the same, while NPC hitpoints go up a lot with levels. Everyone likes to generate a big damage number. The problem mostly comes in with the NPC stats - since NPC damage also goes up, you can end up in situations where a critical hit from an NPC can bring a player character from full hitpoints to none, which feels bad. Players gain more "turn a hit into a miss" powers and damage reduction features as they gain levels, which mitigates the problem somewhat, but not every class gets them and for the ones that do they become a sort of second hitpoint pool where even if you're at full HP you're a moment away from being taken out because you're out of auto-miss powers. My suggestion would be to make NPC damage remain pretty much static as levels go up, but not give player classes the extra defensive powers.

*Feats. I feel like I was seeing the same ones too often. Toughness was very common, Fast Reactions were very common, every archer had Fast Archer, for example. Maybe four feats per character is too many for the size of the feat list. I thought a way to improve feats would be to have maybe only two - one you start with and one you get mid-way through the character's life - but they improve as you level up.

*One of my players said they really liked action points and using them on tricks, but they thought that activating complications to get action points felt too much like "seizing the reins from the GM". Not sure how you fix that exactly, but that's why I'm not a game designer. "Awesome points" felt like a necessity the characters really needed to get by in combat, so in the end I was just giving every player two action points at the start of a session rather than one - an "assumed awesome point" if you like.

*Kits. One of my players focused on the lying skill, putting Expert and Master on it and the feedback was that it felt that they couldn't fail any more. When the core skill system is so good, I think it's important to avoid anything that messes with it too much.

Things that didn't work for us:

*Chase rules. When I ran them they seemed unnecessary. A series of skill checks did the job just fine.

*Team Conflict. Same as chase rules. It felt like a lot of rules, but with effectively the same results as a few skill checks. Am I getting across that I like the skill system?

*The Wealth system. Felt very complex and kinda unnecessary. I didn't really have a problem with either giving my players an explicit amount of money (helped that the Shadowrun and Like a Dragon settings are close to the real world in this regard so players should know what say, a sports car might cost) or an item like "A lot of money" that could be degraded by Costs on skill rolls to "Some money" and then "Not much money" before being destroyed entirely.

What I'd like added:

*NPC enemies that are easier to field. I'm a lazy GM, and the gold standard for me in this regard was 4E D&D's monster manuals. Often in those books you'd turn to a monster page and it wouldn't just be "Goblin", you'd get one that shoots arrows at you, one that rides a wolf or something, a sneaky one that tries to backstab you, and one that uses magic. That's an interesting set of enemies for a good encounter right there, and you don't have to do any prep at all. Strike gives you 16 premade templates which is okay, but you still have to work out their hitpoints, modify them based on their level, and modify them again if you want them to be anything other than a standard monster. Beyond that, it's pretty much homebrew time. It'd be good to have a Strike Monster Manual (or whatever) built around interesting encounters - if you have a fight against ninjas, here's three kinds of ninja you might fight. Tough because Strike doesn't have as much specificity in its setting as D&D does, but I still want to be lazy.

*Trap rules. Every good RPG should have a section where it tells you how to run a room where the walls are closing in to crush you. I could do the work to think about that stuff on my own, but it's much easier for me if I can just look over a big list of traps and go, "That one looks good, I'll put that in the adventure".

*Treasure/Equipment/Loot. I know there's a section called basically this, and it does have some examples, but I want a big list I can just pick from, not to use my own brain.

Something that doesn't really fit above:

*The "striker" role. I always just kind of wish that every role was a striker but with something extra and then that there was no striker role. So leaders can still do striker level damage (or at least similar to what everyone else can put out), but they also get all their healing and buffing stuff. Defenders still get to defend everyone and be super tough, but they can also do big damage with a decent roll. It just felt like by high level when other roles did damage it was basically nothing compared to what the striker could do.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Jimbozig posted:

I have a general question with a sort of specific application.

What in general do you want to see from the second edition of a game you liked the first edition of?

mellonbread posted:

Listened to the RPPR game design discussion from late last year, where they talked about what changes they would make if they did a 2e of their games.

Red Markets
  • Make the negotiation system an optional/bonus rule. Nobody ever used it because it was a time consuming minigame that could lock you out of playing the actual adventure if you hosed it up.
  • Switch to a standard Stat+Skill system, allowing the skill list to be slimmed down (like just making a straight strength roll instead of needing a dedicated door opening skill)
  • Condense the massive lore writeup nobody ever read down to just the high points
  • Split the giant corebook into a DMG/PHB in order to reduce the information you have to plow through just to learn/find basic things.
Base Raiders
  • Massively simplify the power creation system so that you don't need multiple flowcharts with shifting exchange rates just to make a character.
  • Re-examine gaining powers during play, which was a central concept in the core rules but didn't end up being that important in actual play (including Ross' own games).
  • Better base building rules, both to make creating content easier for GMs and to allow players to make their own secret hideouts in-game.
Having played both games I completely agree with the proposed changes for both games. Caleb is easily in the 90th percentile of RPG designers when it comes to playtesting and improving his work based on feedback.
In both cases the devs identified things from 1e that seemed important when they were writing the game, but turned out to be unwelcome distractions or outright impediments in actual play.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Eclipse phase has some interesting instability rules, and there's that everyone is John game where you are multiple personalities in a single person trying to accomplish tasks

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Sionak posted:

There's the old PDQ game, Dead Inside, in which you lose your soul. I always wanted to run a game with it. It's a weird early 2000's game, the art is super corny, but hits a vibe I really liked and that felt weirdly familiar to a time when I was pretty depressed. I think it threads a needle pretty well given the time and scope.

Dead Inside core book posted:

In DI, the soul is a mystical essence that is separate from yet dwells within the body. It rarely interacts with gross matter. It’s energy, impulse, willpower, chi, force. It can be grown, wasted, burned, given, traded, stolen.

When you lose too much of this energy, you become Dead Inside. This means that there is hole in your self that cannot be filled with anything for long; you hunger deeply for something you can’t quite identify; you’re gripped by an internal chill that cannot be measured by any thermometer.

The world seems muffled behind a thick layer of cotton, blurred through a cloudy pane of glass. It’s difficult to feel a connection to anyone or anything. Most social interactions are challenging because of this distance. Most Average People – and most animals – are uncomfortable, creeped-out, and skittish around you. (Some canny Dead Inside take advantage of this unease, and use it to gain positions of authority, rank, or power.) You probably only have one or two people you can communicate enough with to call “friends.”

Furthermore, you’ve become vulnerable and open to dangers and experiences most Average People are blind to and armored against. You can sense ghosts, receive visions of the future, and walk through Gates to the Spirit World. You also have a deeper understanding of what a soul is and how it can be used to change yourself, your situation, and your world. Unfortunately, now that you have the knowledge, you lack the resources. If you could just regain a soul, you could do incredible things….

You feel an overwhelming urge to fill your hollowness. This obsessive need shapes your words, thoughts, and deeds. It nips at you when you’re busy, and gnaws at you when you’re not. The lack of a soul is like an itch in the middle of your back that you just can’t scratch. The only thing that can stop the cold wind whistling through that empty space is to put some soul in there.

I always liked that you have to die inside to realize how impossibly beautiful and simultaneously terrifying the world is, and most people just don't even notice all that. There are a lot of ways to get your soul back, most involve interacting with the new people/places you can visit and 'cultivating' soul energy in positive ways, but there are shortcuts that some people exploit and vices that degrade.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Sionak posted:

I just got a copy of Deviant the Renegades which I’d hope come up in the WoD spaces.

I’d also recommend Double Cross, Mothership, Broken Cities, Mazes, Wizards of the Wastes, Blades in the Dark, the non-d20 One Ring, traveller, Fate, Heart, first edition 7th Sea, -“and Die: the RPG.

A lot of games will riff on mental health somewhere between resilience, exhaustion, call of Cthulhu, and like Unknown Armies.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Sorry to quote-post here, but I do agree with pretty much everything on that list. The rather short list of exceptions being:
- Keep the damage mitigation reactions, those are fun! (instead of higher damage, at higher levels they could be accounted for by enemies simply throwing more attacks, or having a few situational re-rolls).
- Have more feats to pick from, rather than less picks. Possibly roll this into one thing with boons / blessings / loot / gear / augmentations / secret techniques etc. Optionally acquire all of them narratively, maybe capped to a number of active traits dependent on your character level. Optionally have them grouped by tiers and / or upgradable.
- "seizing the reins from the GM" can be great for some groups. Whether it's activating complications or introducing new facts / elements to a scene. It's the kind of thing that can put a straight up multiplier on available creativity at the table and makes many players pay more attention to detail, to look for hooks and opportunities to join in with their own little moments and ideas. But of course it's not for everyone, and if you have a more top-down style of gm-player relationship, maybe action points work better as a "devil's bargain" where the GM prompts players.
- I don't personally need traps. Take this as an indication of just how strongly I agree with all the points Gort made that I'm not bringing up.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jimbozig posted:

a dedicated section explaining the differences from the first and second editions, for the people who've come from the first edition

either as an itemized list of changes, or even just a broad declaration of ethos and intent

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

Sionak posted:

Thanks all. Those all sound really interesting in their own right. I'd never heard of Glitch. It would be great to have some more positive and unique (like Pendragon) examples, too.

Seconding Glitch, it's the most beautiful game I own. A masterclass on handling difficult topics in a way that doesn't feel gross.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Incidentally, Jenna's been posting some previews of the new game she's going to Kickstart in March, The Far Roofs: Adventures with the Rats.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Has ToC been updated? I like the game a lot, but I appreciate the way Night's Black Agents makes the whole thing more elegant and streamlined.

Second Edition has been announced and will crowdfund later this year. It’s gonna be on Backerkit. Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan is working on it with Ken Hite, which I suspect will be a good addition.

I think Swords of the Serpentine and the various two player games are the current peak of GUMSHOE design, in fairly different ways, so there’s a lot of room to polish. There will also be new campaign frames.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Rand Brittain posted:

Incidentally, Jenna's been posting some previews of the new game she's going to Kickstart in March, The Far Roofs: Adventures with the Rats.

What happened to Nobilis 4e?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

With the track record that game line has, it's probably on hold because some fae have stolen the words out of Jenna's head and she has to unravel the riddle of the wind before she can reclaim them.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

ninjoatse.cx posted:

It's still in playtesting and will come out after The Far Roofs. The Far Roofs has kind of been on the cooker for quite a while.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Far Roofs doesn't really sound like something that would interest me thematically / tonally... except it's Jenna Moran, she has the benefit of the doubt a dozen times over.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Sionak posted:

Alien has a "stress" mechanic. In VERY tl;dr terms, you have a number for a stat and a number for a skill. That's the number of d6s you roll to see if you can do something. Any "6" means you succeed.

If you fail you can re-roll - you up your "stress level" by one, add a "stress die" (a different colored d6) and roll. This adds a chance to succeed - you're desperate - but any "1" on a Stress die means you panic.

You also accumulate stress dice from, well, stress. Seeing friends panic, terrifying situations, etc. More stress = higher stress level = more stress dice = higher chance of panicking. If - when - you roll that one on a "stress die" you roll on this table and add your stress level:

You can reduce stress, but that takes time and safety.

It's simple and straightforward, and fits the source material; things go well until they really, really don't and everything spirals out of control.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Sionak posted:

The superhero game, Underground, has it as a core mechanic. Due mainly to combat veterans who have been modified with xeno DNA to give them superpowers. The inherently (and no pun intended) alien nature of those powers conflicting with a person's body image as well as the primary management for for the trauma of assimilating those powers is by using a four-color comic-style fantasy world simulation directly beamed into the soldier's brain (called Slumberland) and then using incredibly powerful and dangerous anti-psychotics as the main form of aftercare.

The 'heroes' in that game are (justifiably) ten kinds of mentally unstable.

We called it the Marshal Law RPG after the comic by Pat Mills and Kevin O'Neill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
That sounds scarily like a game in which every PC is Homelander.