Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

mystes posted:

You can always play BAA games but right now that probably limits you to Cult of the Lamb

I think you’d qualify to play the works of Jeff Minter.

Sounds pretty cool, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

mystes posted:

You can always play BAA games but right now that probably limits you to Cult of the Lamb

sheepo

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
genshin impact is an indie game

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Does using an existing IP license really make a game not indie? Sure it puts outside limitations on what a studio can do. On the other hand, that Robocop game seems a lot more indie than 2022's Indie game of the year Dave the Diver.

I know that studio made a terminator game as well, but again I don't know if they're independently owned or what. My work network blocks almost all gaming sites, so I can't look this stuff up at the moment.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
What are you doing, step-publisher?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

John Murdoch posted:

Has there ever been a magic-focused FPS that really nailed the feel of blasting poo poo with spells?

I mean specifically shooting stuff straight from the hands, rather than the Heretic/Amid Evil approach of magical implements.

The same old weird, flat combat that results from it was the first thing I noticed about Immortals of Aveum, and how it sure seems like they tried to compensate by just adding more Dr. Strange particles on top.

The now defunct battle royale "Spellbreak" had pretty fun shooty spells. Third person though, idk how much of a difference that makes.
Also it was an egs exclusive :rip: playerbase

Orv
May 4, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Has there ever been a magic-focused FPS that really nailed the feel of blasting poo poo with spells?

I mean specifically shooting stuff straight from the hands, rather than the Heretic/Amid Evil approach of magical implements.

The same old weird, flat combat that results from it was the first thing I noticed about Immortals of Aveum, and how it sure seems like they tried to compensate by just adding more Dr. Strange particles on top.

Yes hello I am here to sing the praises of Dark Messiah once more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6i7dByBIIQ

Unfortunately most of the videos of people doing cool stuff with Dark Messiah multiplayer magic are 480p videos from a century ago that run at 5fps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJEJ3vqLJZg&t=318s

Orv fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 14, 2024

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

skeletronics posted:

Does using an existing IP license really make a game not indie?

It'd be insane to suggest that the hundreds of Warhammer-licensed jank out there is anything but Indie :v:

Half the appeal, at least with that IP, is that it's accessible to studios who don't have the funds to craft an original world. The other half being that you ostensibly have an existing marketbase.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

FishMcCool posted:

Of course, there's also Warframe, which is literally an AABC game.

Well done.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

I can't remember the name of it but there is this, I think ps2 era?, game where you play as an Irish guy who fights demons with a gun in one hand and magic in the other. If I remember correctly that had really good magic. The flaming skull spell was especially satisfying.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

If the publisher and developer are the same then the game is indie to me, I know there's the conflicting (and valid!) use of the term for "games made by small studios not beholden to major game publishers."

Counter Strike 2 is indie, Baldur's Gate 3 is indie, Cyberpunk 2077 is indie, Valorant is indie, Genshin Impact is indie.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 14, 2024

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

that indiana jones game coming out is also indy

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I can't remember the name of it but there is this, I think ps2 era?, game where you play as an Irish guy who fights demons with a gun in one hand and magic in the other. If I remember correctly that had really good magic. The flaming skull spell was especially satisfying.

Clive Barker's Undying.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you. I spent like ten minutes failing to find it because I kept googling "John Carpenter video game". I remember some horror guys name was on it just not the right one.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

e: wrong thread, buy video games

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

queeb posted:

Man all these stupid huge AAA gaas crazy marketed games fail and here I am having a blast playing bg3, Homeworld 1, rimworld, Elden ring. Maybe they should try making good games. There's been a lot of big stinkers lately. Starfield was my big letdown so far
Please understand, you can't expect these AAAA developers to be capable of putting out Larian levels of quality in their games, they only have multimillion dollar budgets! Will nobody think of the AAAA companies?! :qq:

I said come in! posted:

Honestly I feel like the line is so blurred now that I just dont bother to think about it. The indie / AAA labels mean absolutely nothing to me. I just want good games.
:haibrower:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Though at this point I can't tell if I've once again overthought myself into a corner or folks are glossing over what I meant, which is specifically the animation work and, in essence, the "gunfeel" of spells. Most of the games cited have spells with memorable effects, but the majority of them lack really punchy animations. As in, whatever mystical hand jiving the player character does, the rumble of growing power as they charge up a spell, a sense of recoil as they unleash a fireball, etc. A whole lot of them are just kinda point and click or hold down the button to hose stuff down with fire or w/e.

Really stretching beyond the initial premise, I guess maybe the Psychonauts games might count? The basic mind bullet attack is possibly the most straightforward point and shoot attack ever conceived but the animations sell it pretty well.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Indie: I can count your dev team on one hand.
A: I can count your dev team on two hands
AA: I can reasonably be expected to be able to remember the names of most team members, perhaps could fill a medium sized classroom
AAA: I know the companies name or perhaps some guy who's face is at all the industry shows. Under them is an army of thousands of faceless nameless goons.
AAAA: Scam, fraud.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
They're called AAAA games because that's what you scream as you run away from them.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Serious Sam is an AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA game

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Indie: I can count your dev team on one hand.
A: I can count your dev team on two hands
AA: I can reasonably be expected to be able to remember the names of most team members, perhaps could fill a medium sized classroom
AAA: I know the companies name or perhaps some guy who's face is at all the industry shows. Under them is an army of thousands of faceless nameless goons.
AAAA: Scam, fraud.

Hmm but AAA batteries are smaller than AA batteries explain that

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

Though at this point I can't tell if I've once again overthought myself into a corner or folks are glossing over what I meant, which is specifically the animation work and, in essence, the "gunfeel" of spells. Most of the games cited have spells with memorable effects, but the majority of them lack really punchy animations. As in, whatever mystical hand jiving the player character does, the rumble of growing power as they charge up a spell, a sense of recoil as they unleash a fireball, etc. A whole lot of them are just kinda point and click or hold down the button to hose stuff down with fire or w/e.

Really stretching beyond the initial premise, I guess maybe the Psychonauts games might count? The basic mind bullet attack is possibly the most straightforward point and shoot attack ever conceived but the animations sell it pretty well.

At the very least I knew what you ment but I should of been clearer. That skull spell I mentioned specifically had good enough "feel" that it's been stuck in my head for like a decade. The way he pulls it out of the ground to reload, the flick of his wrist when he launches it has this real good snap to it. One of the few spells that give that good gutfeel a well done shotgun blasts and reload does.

In this regards, unfortunately leaving the world of fps behind, dark souls basic fireball spell and to a lesser extent lighting spell feel really good. Making the the fire appear in your hand then baseball tossing that poo poo in somethings face gives it this heft and weight a lot of magic lacks

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 14, 2024

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

kazil posted:

Hmm but AAA batteries are smaller than AA batteries explain that

Battery chart:

AAA: AAA, AA
AA: C, D
A: 9V, AAAA
Indy: 23A, circular watch batteries

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Also if I had the strength to stand by my convictions I'd define indie as a game made by Exactly One Guy, no more or less. But alas I cowardly allowed up to five entire people.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I'm tempted to get Ultros, the demo was cool on NextFest. The reception seems to be mostly positive. It would definitely be a game where splurging for the art book is necessary, though.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Any thoughts on Sands of Salzaar? Open world RPG is my jam and I'm seeing it touted as a Mount and Blade and Kenshi analogue, but I was curious how well it does in the jankiness to actual fun ratio compared to those games.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

John Murdoch posted:

It's probably not what you are looking for, but it made me think of the Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy games and blasting/throwing/choking stormtroopers. I haven't played them in a long time so maybe they don't hold up but the nostalgia is strong.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Aaaaah real games

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

AAA Indie, problem solved

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

what about an indie game about the American Automobile Association?

mystes
May 31, 2006

kazil posted:

what about an indie game about the American Automobile Association?
I could see a family road trip simulator set in the 80s or something

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Press F to TURN THIS CAR AROUND, I SWEAR TO GOD!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Perhaps they should make a driving game where you drive your pregnant wife to the hospital. You'll have to obey speed limits and obey road laws.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Destiny 2 Bundle: https://www.humblebundle.com/games/destiny-2-the-story-so-far

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Leal posted:

Perhaps they should make a driving game where you drive your pregnant wife to the hospital. You'll have to obey speed limits and obey road laws.

we're circling around the idea

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1351240/Taxi_Life_A_City_Driving_Simulator/

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Anybody know if "invert outer ring binding" still available somehow?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, as far as battle passes go, Helldivers really has one of the most player-friendly versions I've seen. The free track has much more stuff than the premium track (usually it's the other way around), it's not time-limited, premium currency can be gained ingame at a good rate, and real money exchange rates are pretty reasonable. :10bux: for the premium pass and about 2 bucks for a skin apiece is a whole lot better than the competition.
Isn't this how Battle/Premium passes started back in the day?
Stacked towards the Free with the Premium side being fancy dressups/skins and more frequent fun bux?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

kazil posted:

waiting for the elusive AAB game
I can only play AB+ type games.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Baldur's Gate 3 is an indie AAA game, the thing and its opposite (because of a false dichotomy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

bobthenameless posted:

that indiana jones game coming out is also indy

You call him Doctor Jones!