Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

abraham linksys posted:

Gotcha. I think I'll refund it for now since $30 is a bit steep for a game I can see myself abandoning in a few more hours, but I might give it another go if it goes on sale, or if they release the Hard Mode mentioned in their most recent news update.

Still on the hunt for some kind of grinding podcast game, just want one with a bit more going on... kind of a tricky thing to find, since so many games fall on one end of the difficulty extreme or the other. Like, a dungeon crawler like Etrian Odyssey seems cool conceptually, but way harder than what I want in practice. I'm pretty overloaded with story-heavy games right now (LAD:IW, Ace Attorney, some day I'm going to start on Live A Live in earnest...), so really want an RPG that provides a grind with engaging mechanics. Maybe one of the FF Pixel Remasters or a Dragon Quest makes sense...

Gran Blue Fantasy Relink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

abraham linksys posted:

really want an RPG that provides a grind with engaging mechanics.

If you don't mind a learning curve to your grindy RPGs, there's always Kenshi or Tales of Maj'eyal (the superior Tales game :smug:)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The new Shiren the Wanderer comes out in like a week.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you can do an interesting thing with colette getting her voice and identity taken away. tales of symphonia does not do that she just doesn't say anything for three hours and then it gets broken and she gets her personality back and spends the rest of the game playing a bit part because the bad guys have no reason to care about her anymore

symphonia just does not have any real moment in which colette makes a major choice that changes the tides of the game, there's sort of that with her asking the angels to save both worlds but ultimately everything that happens after is lloyd's choice. it's very different from what yuna gets in ffx where her refusal to become a sacrifice is grounds for the final act of the game, a showing of how much more independent and willful she's become since the start of her journey, how much hope she's come to have for creating her own, better path forward. colette in symphonia, literally gets a skit about how she doesn't really have much to do anymore

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 13, 2024

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tales of symphonia is a game that opens its final dungeon with the bad guy literally possessing colette and going "hahaha... i have kidnapped your friends, lloyd... and you must come to my evil sky castle to save them!!!" before flying away into the sky

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly "the lady is the chosen important one with the legendary powers and destiny but she ain't the main character" was an extremely common thing for a good long while.

Eh, I would classify that as a type of "ordinary person meets extraordinary person and is pulled into their extraordinary world." The main distinction being that Lloyd always lived in that world anyway, he just never paid attention before because he's really really dumb.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Junpei posted:

I mean Collette getting her personality removed is a Bad Thing, it's a Goal of the Villains, it's not supposed to be good

No one is complaining that Colette getting brainwashed, cursed, cursed again, and possessed isn't treated as a problem, but that it is treated as Lloyd's problem.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei posted:

I mean Collette getting her personality removed is a Bad Thing, it's a Goal of the Villains, it's not supposed to be good
its a shame Mithos Yggdrasil, the real person, put this into the game against the developer's wishes, because he was that evil

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also plenty of stuff has characters with no voice or an 'emotionless' shtick that manage to express more identity than colette does. symphonia largely just isnt that interested in colette as a character

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Junpei posted:

I mean, sure, but then she gets it back and not much changes.

Colette doesn't need to be the main character, but she needs to do more than she does.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

just remembered how bad Tales of Symphonia 2, such a boring sequel.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

GateOfD posted:

yeah as much poo poo as you can rightfully give the first one, it's not tos2 lmao

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

GateOfD posted:

Somebody seems to have forgotten that courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tos2 is better than 1 because theyre both really boring but tos2 is like half as long and i buy the main romance more

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Failboattootoot posted:

Gran Blue Fantasy Relink.

this totally would be it, but unfortunately I promised a friend I'd play through the endgame with them co-op (i already beat the campaign), and I'm waiting for them to reach it :(

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Endorph posted:

tos2 is better than 1 because theyre both really boring but tos2 is like half as long and i buy the main romance more

:agreed:

Also pokemon

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

ToS2 is bad because the main character's mystic arte is called 'Ain Soph Aur', meaning light without limit, but it is a dark elemental attack.

Also courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
while we're on the RPGMaker stuff I'm friends with the developer of this game, it's just a demo but I really like it

https://majimjam.itch.io/hyadesrpg

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

excuse me but Colette Brunel owns

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Endorph posted:

exit fate is one of the better rpgmaker games thats an actual classic style RPG and not some weird indie horror thing

bewilderment posted:

I second Exit Fate because like... it's a real RPG, it's free, and it's even a Suikodenlike with a decent plot (that cribs heavily from Suikoden2 and a little from Xenogears). Will probably never be sold for money since all the music is taken from other JRPGs.

If you want some weirder graphics and plotting, Weird and Unfortunate Things Are Happening is a horror RPG in the Earthbound vein of things (as opposed to, a horror walking sim made in RPGmaker). It's also free and very high quality for that price!

Junpei posted:

while we're on the RPGMaker stuff I'm friends with the developer of this game, it's just a demo but I really like it

https://majimjam.itch.io/hyadesrpg

Thanks for the free games recommendations, I'd actually glanced at Exit Fate years and years ago but Suikodenlikes always give me anxiety because of missable and perma dead characters.

Snooze Cruise posted:

last profit is neat, soulestination is even cheaper than it normally is

The 7th Guest posted:

yea final profit is neat, and so is the lost art of innkeeping, tho neither are conventional RPGs in the slightest

also it's not on sale but Hylics is only $3

Love Final Profit. Soulestination is Tactical Nexus style game that's already in my library because I love the idea of playing those games more than I'm actually good at them. Put the Lost Art on my wishlist.

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

very personally speaking, VX Ace is still my favorite, I very much dislike the newer web-based ones. they reek of chromium embedded jank. that said VX Ace has limitations, like it can only get up to 640x480 resolution unless you do something wild like program an entirely new game executable for it or something.

XP is a perfectly good tool and it's the free one so it's definitely worth just getting for your steam library, but it does run an older version of the RGSS and it's noticeably slower when comparing heavily scripted games.

TheMightyBoops posted:

A license of MV is cool because it’s all built with JavaScript and if you know a little JavaScript it’s easy to poke at.

It crashes a lot though even if you don’t mess with that stuff so save often.

Good to know that people have preferences on RPG Maker itself but don't think I'm actually compelled to make anything. Thank you anyway.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

well you are in luck exit fate doesnt have any characters that can be missed or killed

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Having Tales of Symphonia be my first Tales game sucks rear end because I love it and have tons of nostalgia for it but everywhere online talks mad poo poo about it lmao

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I liked the cooking system

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Nucular Carmul posted:

Having Tales of Symphonia be my first Tales game sucks rear end because I love it and have tons of nostalgia for it but everywhere online talks mad poo poo about it lmao

A real gamer stands beside their favorite titles while admitting that, just like almost any other game, it has flaws. Stand proud gamer, like everyone who somehow thinks Final Fantasy VI is the best one.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Nucular Carmul posted:

its okay, i'm with you. I like it too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Symphonia was my first so I assumed the entire franchise was poo poo and didn't play another one until Vesperia came out and then I knew it was a poo poo franchise.

Abyss I still played because I have pattern recognition issues and sometimes it pays off.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Symphonia was also my first, it was one of the first fandoms I got into, and I absolutely love it to this day. It also sucks. You can like things that suck.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can also just like things and tell anyone who doesn't they can gently caress off

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's pretty simple, actually: If I like something then it can't be bad.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Nucular Carmul posted:

the lowest selling tales game is still 100x less than the population that bought and loved the game

Look at your fingers, slap them against a wall for each time you see a negative comment, and realize you are not hitting 100k anytime soon

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I really love Symphonia and I'm sure a ton of that had to do with when I got it and the relative dearth of RPGs I played before it. I dunno if I'll ever go back and replay it, but it is one of the few games I've beaten more than once and there's still stuff in it that stuck with me even after like 20 years.

Also for me Symphonia pretty much is Tales since I think I got bored of and abandoned uh pretty much every other Tales game I tried afterwards for one reason or another except for Abyss (which I also love).

microfolk
Aug 15, 2023

CATGIRL DEATH INDUSTRIAL
Off has always been my favorite rpg rpg-maker game, not only it has one of the greatest OSTs in the entire medium but it also has an unmatched atmosphere, it owns

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

You can also just like things and tell anyone who doesn't they can gently caress off

Hell yeah.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Creator of Suikoden and main scenario writer/boss for Eiyuden Chronicle passed away last week

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Just heard. Deeply sad news 😭

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Finished XC2 Chapter 1. I sure hope this Rex fellow doesn't stub his toe again. His mouth opens but the sound that comes out would sooner qualify for welfare than as a yell.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Huh.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Finished XC2 Chapter 1. I sure hope this Rex fellow doesn't stub his toe again. His mouth opens but the sound that comes out would sooner qualify for welfare than as a yell.

what

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I get the sentiment but the phrasing is bewildering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

No Dignity posted:

I get the sentiment but the phrasing is bewildering

Yeah.

Anyway Rex is the greatest XC protagonist and a good lad.