Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Declan MacManus posted:

sorry hope you enjoy paying $12.99 a month so you can see #12 smu get fuckin ethered by #5 penn state at 4 pm on a thursday exclusively on fox sports

Hey, an improvement over the general assumption that Penn State is going to perpetually be the #12 team that staggers into the playoffs year in and year out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Also bold to assume the ACC will be so lovely, champion SMU isn't even the fourth-highest ranked conference champion.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah but your ascendancy as a program has matched with the NIL era and excitement around Heupel.

We’ve been stagnant for 14-15 seasons and there’s just no excitement for the future right now.

There’s a Gator podcast I listen to from time to time and they had Spencer Hall on as a guest and he basically roasted the entire athletic department and referred to 24 as a lame duck year. Said there was no good news unless there’s the turnaround of all time turnarounds but there’s no evidence Napier can coach his way out of it. It’s just how it is and the tenor is loving bleak right now.

Happy for all of you who get the feast on the bones, for now (and the foreseeable future) I guess.

My dude, getting to or near the mountaintop is not normal. It’s not what this sport, or being a fan of this sport, is like. Win some, lose some, enjoy watching better teams in the playoff every season is how the vast majority of the programs are the vast majority of the time. Even if you get a good season, you know you probably won’t get another one. It’s still fun. It’s not like Florida’s going 3-9 or anything. Remember that you are rear end, and to rear end you shall return. It is the way of things.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Thermos H Christ posted:

My dude, getting to or near the mountaintop is not normal. It’s not what this sport, or being a fan of this sport, is like. Win some, lose some, enjoy watching better teams in the playoff every season is how the vast majority of the programs are the vast majority of the time. Even if you get a good season, you know you probably won’t get another one. It’s still fun. It’s not like Florida’s going 3-9 or anything. Remember that you are rear end, and to rear end you shall return. It is the way of things.

Oh, yeah, no doubt. I’m realistic about that.

Doesn’t mean I have to like it.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Thermos H Christ posted:

No matter how bad it gets, I am always like at least I got to experience my team going to the mountaintop at least once in my life. As someone who is old enough to be a fan during the 90's run of the Vols, that thought alone helped get through the post-Fulmer years many times. It could be worse, I could be a UK or South Carolina fan.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

WVU is going to wear all black uniforms for a "coal rush" week 1 against Penn State. The contrast between Penn State's all whites is cool, but honestly, West Virginia needs to move beyond its coal mining identity.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Komet posted:

WVU is going to wear all black uniforms for a "coal rush" week 1 against Penn State. The contrast between Penn State's all whites is cool, but honestly, West Virginia needs to move beyond its coal mining identity.

I think they’ve made it clear that they collectively Will Not.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Komet posted:

Move beyond it to what, even more abject poverty? Just one giant oxy warehouse?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

General Dog posted:

Move beyond it to what, even more abject poverty?

Biosphere death is the most abject poverty there is.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Jesco White Day sounds like a gameday plan to me for WVA.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

Biosphere death is the most abject poverty there is.

Well, there’s no avoiding that; all anyone can do is try to save enough money that they’ll eat a few weeks longer than their neighbors when things really go bad.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

General Dog posted:

The University of West Virginia Learn to Coders

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

General Dog posted:

There are only like 10,000 coal miners left in the entire state. Fifty years ago, it was 100,000. All the less expensive and easy-to-get coal has been mined out of the state, and most of what's left can only be accessed via strip-mining, and that's largely mechanized. Coal isn't any cheaper than renewable energy production at this point.

West Virginia is making huge investments into tourism. It generated over $5B last year and growing every year, which is greater than similarly sized mountain states such as Vermont and New Hampshire. With rural broadband investment, the state is beginning to attract skilled laborers that can work remotely and choose the state for its outdoors amenities. There's still a reasonable amount of agriculture and other manufacturing.

WV needs to think strategically about the future, but coal mining still looms large on the state's psyche.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

dphi posted:

So did Lagway get the majority of the NIL pool or does he just really love UF?

A little of both. He's touted as a faster, more accurate, albeit less powerful version of Anthony Richardson. Loves the play action and mobile play

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Komet posted:

There are only like 10,000 coal miners left in the entire state. Fifty years ago, it was 100,000. All the less expensive and easy-to-get coal has been mined out of the state, and most of what's left can only be accessed via strip-mining, and that's largely mechanized. Coal isn't any cheaper than renewable energy production at this point.

West Virginia is making huge investments into tourism. It generated over $5B last year and growing every year, which is greater than similarly sized mountain states such as Vermont and New Hampshire. With rural broadband investment, the state is beginning to attract skilled laborers that can work remotely and choose the state for its outdoors amenities. There's still a reasonable amount of agriculture and other manufacturing.

WV needs to think strategically about the future, but coal mining still looms large on the state's psyche.
What if all that money they invested into tourism means they actually are thinking strategically about the future and using their coal mining history to craft a folksy outdoorsy image has, actually, worked :confused:

Is this just like an attempted dunk on the state as a whole because of the upcoming game or what

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Instead of mining coal they should be mining crypto

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Fifty Three posted:

What if all that money they invested into tourism means they actually are thinking strategically about the future and using their coal mining history to craft a folksy outdoorsy image has, actually, worked :confused:

Is this just like an attempted dunk on the state as a whole because of the upcoming game or what

First of all, I'm West Virginian, so despite me rooting to for Penn State to beat WVU, I have a vested interest in the state. And it's true that the investment in tourism is strategic thinking, but that doesn't mean that rank and file West Virginians don't still believe coal is essential to the future of the state.

Mega64 posted:

You joke, but my parents' county commission rejected a permit to build a crypto mining facility nearby. Dumdums were like "it'll bring tech jobs!!!" but actually after the facility gets built, it just drains a ton of water and electricity and causes electric prices in the county to surge because of increased demand.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Komet posted:

So you're broad point about the declining importance of coal to WV is correct, but you've got lots of errors in your details my friend. About 82% of WV coal is produced in underground mines. Not surface. About half of the coal produced in WV is for coke production, not power generation, so relative price with renewable is irrelevant. And most of that power generation coal is high enough quality it could be used for coke if they wanted to. WV also has the second largest coal reserves in the country behind on Wyoming.

Like yes it's not as important economically to the state as it once was. And yes the industry will continue to contract. But it won't happen quickly, and it's still one of the most important sources for the world's highest quality coal. WV produces the majority of the coking coal used in US steel mills. And none of this touches on the historical and cultural importance of coal to the state.

I'm a mining engineer who worked in WV mines early in my career. You can make fun of people from WV identifying so much with coal mining, but it's a very real cultural phenomenon out there.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
This is one of the best offseason derails I've ever seen and I'm actually 100% interested. Goons with nuanced opinions ITT

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Seaniqua posted:

This is one of the best offseason derails I've ever seen and I'm actually 100% interested. Goons with nuanced opinions ITT

Yes, I learned something today.

I wonder if WV is also doing any PR around the end-use of their coal as being for coke rather than power generation. That would change perceptions somewhat over the entire mining industry there.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Mega64 posted:

texas did this. and was so desperate to attract 'tech' to the state, they have contracts where they have to pay the miners when they have to ask them to conserve energy.

our state run by free market capitalist is so loving stupid that the agreements result in miners making more money conserving energy than mining crypto: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bitcoi...%20the%20state.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Coke is made in Colombia, not WV

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

kayakyakr posted:

I wonder if WV is also doing any PR around the end-use of their coal as being for coke rather than power generation. That would change perceptions somewhat over the entire mining industry there.
the culture war aspect of coal-mining benefits west virginia capital much more so

mine owners love people hating their mines, because they turn that into "liberals hate miners!" and away we go, dividing the classes

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

kayakyakr posted:

As of my last visit home (Wyoming county), not really. People still assume power generation.

I heard from more than a few people that the rise of EVs would ‘bring back’ coal, if you want a regular person’s view on it.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
Yeah I don't think most people even know coal is an important raw material for steel. Trying to say that "our coal is metallurgical coal so it's OK" would take a lot of education to land as a PR effort.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

the culture war aspect of coal-mining benefits west virginia capital much more so

mine owners love people hating their mines, because they turn that into "liberals hate miners!" and away we go, dividing the classes

1000 times this. It's not in the interest of coal companies to educate the general public on the real nuances of the industry. Especially in Appalachia.

Skoots
Sep 6, 2006

Komet posted:

Imo Penn State should move on from its kid diddling identity by shutting down its football program.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

drunk leprechaun posted:

About half of the coal produced in WV is for coke production, not power generation, so relative price with renewable is irrelevant.

But for how much longer though? https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidrvetter/2021/08/19/how-sweden-delivered-the-worlds-first-fossil-fuel-free-steel/?sh=2aa243d96b55

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Penn State should move on from its Nittany Lion identity after they killed and skinned the last remaining one to make the mascot

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

Yeah that stuff is really really cool. I'm not convinced that a lot of mills, especially in Asia and the US, will do the change over anyeimt soon, but I'd love to be wrong.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

This coal thing kind of reminds me of Pittsburgh and all the “Steel City” stuff.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

drat Dirty Ape posted:

This coal thing kind of reminds me of Pittsburgh and all the “Steel City” stuff.

"Furniture City" sounds like a discount liquidators store and not a cool nickname for a city though, even if its more accurate

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Fifty Three posted:

Penn State should move on from its Nittany Lion identity after they killed and skinned the last remaining one to make the mascot

looks like they are loving the animals at Penn State instead of skinning them these days, so upgrade?

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

drunk leprechaun posted:

Yeah that stuff is really really cool. I'm not convinced that a lot of mills, especially in Asia and the US, will do the change over anyeimt soon, but I'd love to be wrong.

I can see it being done in China. Substantial amounts of WV coal is exported to India and China. As relations continue to sour, China will look to making its steel industry entirely self-sufficient, for the same reason we're starting to build semiconductor factories in the US.

France and England once considered intervening on behalf of the Confederacy because of the demands of textile mills, but they couldn't overcome supporting slavery, so they moved all their cotton production to Egypt. Not that colonial rule in Africa was much better, but the South was seriously hosed by the loss of the cotton market in Europe. The US will slow walk transitioning industrial uses for coke, but if China gets it in their mind to stop using coal, WV will lose a huge market.

You're right that the coal industry is still worth well over $10B to the state and it's contracting slowly. But that trickle could turn into a waterfall if new policies are implemented. The price of coal has risen sharply with the Russian invasion of Ukraine, but that's not sustainable revenue for the state.

In any case, I think the coal mythos West Virginia has built around itself is ultimately harmful to its future.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Fluffdaddy posted:

looks like they are loving the animals at Penn State instead of skinning them these days, so upgrade?
and apparently begged cops to kill him when he was caught, christ :smith:

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
More came out about the guy today. Like, he was shoving sticks up his own rear end as well. Dude liked having fun.

https://x.com/nypost/status/1757789126995157368?s=20

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

It's time we address The Penn State Situation

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

soggybagel posted:

More came out about the guy today. Like, he was shoving sticks up his own rear end as well. Dude liked having fun.

https://x.com/nypost/status/1757789126995157368?s=20

People are under a lot of stress these days

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The gently caress did I miss? :catstare:

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

I. M. Gei posted:

The gently caress did I miss? :catstare: