Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
thinking again about the stories of the army using Hueys to fly out trays of hot food and coffee to GIs out on patrol in the boonies

seems like that'd be considered an excessive expense nowadays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

stephenthinkpad posted:

drat these meal plans touch alot of nerves. What if you lose the meal card?

You pay cash until you get a new one from s1

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

stephenthinkpad posted:

drat these meal plans touch alot of nerves. What if you lose the meal card?

Then you sign a logbook and pay for a replacement card I guess.

I guess it all depends on which civilian firm has the contract for managing your mess hall.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

gradenko_2000 posted:

thinking again about the stories of the army using Hueys to fly out trays of hot food and coffee to GIs out on patrol in the boonies

hardware serving the troops?

seems backwards.

i can't find it anywhere but i remember in afghanistan there was a story of a bunch of guys being hamburger hilled in order to retrive one (1) disabled mrap instead of scuttling it

Livo
Dec 31, 2023

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

the ADF has heard your concerns and today has floated a scheme to reduce all the injuries the new recruits suffer

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/defence-force-under-stress-as-chief-reveals-true-extent-of-staff-crisis-20240214-p5f4xp.html
Defence Force under ‘stress’ as chief reveals true extent of staff crisis

I can't read the entire article as I'm not a subscriber, but I have a sneaking suspicion they'll just replace it with nothing, which is LOL. Totally won't have unfit soldiers hurting themselves the first time they have do a somewhat strenous task!

Doing just situps or pushups by itself won't really prepare you for things you actually do in the military, especially if the new recruit is starting from a low fitness/strength level, which a lot of them are. That was partly why this recent-ish research trial did more realistic strength/lifting movements. Keep in mind if you take a couch potato and suddenly make them do a ton of physical activity on top of lots of structured exercise very quickly, your risk of injury skyrockets.* In the first study I posted, they also tested VO2, 1RM though out the trial & found more improvements for the research group. I can't find the exact details of their exercise types, I'll have to dig around on old hard-drives or find a full non pay-walled copy. Very generally speaking, the stronger you are with pull/push/lifting/dragging movements and fitter you are with cardiovascular endurance (walking with a heavy pack for example), the lower your chances of soft tissue injury.

*My uni did an older ADF study where they did occasional high intensity & interval exercise at the same overall volume i.e. 41 hours of the study exercise vs 41 hours of regular ADF exercise, but these sessions were broken up into short bouts. The occasional high intensity/interval stuff didn't really increase their soft tissue injury risk. This was because they deliberately only did high intensity stuff occasionally in little bursts so as to not overload new recruits, since they do a huge amount of physical activity outside of their structured physical exercise sessions.

Sorry for the off-topic rambling, I find it rather amusing & charming that my old uni has actual experience with the Australian Defence Force on this matter.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Nah its the ADF I can already tell you how it'll work without even looking into it. They'll have no fitness standards to become a recruit but to graduate basic and join your unit you'll need to meet standard X. Fail and you'll get back platooned until you pass. Or just get horribly injured because your flabby no exercise in your life xbox body has less muscle than some lean veal and end up medically broken and unfit for further service. Then receiving units will pick up the usual slack with the ones who aren't full of torn muscles and tendons. To say nothing of the ones who twist their spines or something trying to carry weight.

Hey-ho USA. Your vassal state in all its glory. Ready to fight... on Call of Duty with a controller.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

bobtheconqueror posted:

It is kind of insane, because we could absolutely just give a stipend via per diem or cola without the financial weirdness of BAS, but I think the logistical challenge of having a mixed civilian/military population is probably where the rationalization comes from.

The last mobilization I went through we had a per diem allowance. We were supposed to pay for our meals in the dfac. We went through and ate for free anyways because the smart card point of sale thing is just a head count tracker and they'd just swipe one person for every 10 that went in uniform.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The last mobilization I went through we had a per diem allowance. We were supposed to pay for our meals in the dfac. We went through and ate for free anyways because the smart card point of sale thing is just a head count tracker and they'd just swipe one person for every 10 that went in uniform.

Nice core values you have

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't understand how you guys are so blase about this - even if the system is administered rationally, it's completely irrational.

If you take the President's dollar, to loving die for the country, there should be no question of you being fed, clothed and housed for free. Having little deductions in your pay statement so it doesn't feel like you're paying for it, or "you're basically not paying for it (because they take it out before they pay you)" is still loving insane.

you'd think that, but as we all know history is over and there's no such thing as society

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't understand how you guys are so blase about this - even if the system is administered rationally, it's completely irrational.

If you take the President's dollar, to loving die for the country, there should be no question of you being fed, clothed and housed for free. Having little deductions in your pay statement so it doesn't feel like you're paying for it, or "you're basically not paying for it (because they take it out before they pay you)" is still loving insane.

Because for all our bluster about defiance Americans are a house broken people that can't imagine resisting or things being better

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

GoLambo posted:

Hey don't sweat it some of the most famous soldiers in history had to pay for their own gear, like the Landsknechts. They were well trained, highly disciplined fighters, especially noted for their flexible loyalty. And as we know, flexibility is important on a modern battlefield.

What could possibly go wrong?

Showing up to the recruiters with a full delta dan kit complete with personally owned sig mcx spear+thermal sight and 250 lbs of rippling muscle to get double pay

...then going across town and doing it again at a different recruiter

Re: meal cards, we just typed our SSN on a little USB number pad, I never saw a physical card ever. There's a lot of hosed up things about the military but the way the dining facilities/BAS work isn't really that hard to understand or all that terribly irrational

Justin Tyme has issued a correction as of 16:23 on Feb 14, 2024

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
during the US civil war, federal recruiters sometimes just had plants in the audience after a recruiting pitch. They’d loudly proclaim the bonus and free set of boots to be a grand deal and rush to sign up, in an attempt to get others to fear missing out on the deal.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol
Poking the Bear: Social Media and Human Intelligence Recruitment

rusi.org posted:

Innovative tactics: the UK's agencies could learn from US efforts to target disillusioned Russians for human intelligence recruitment

Recent CIA social media campaigns have shown how the past can be weaponised to encourage modern-day potential agents to work with the West. The UK’s intelligence agencies would do well to take note.

The CIA recently released a video appealing to Russians disillusioned with their government to spy for the US agency. It is the third time that the agency has produced such a video, aiming to capitalise on concerns within Russia’s intelligence agencies and wider government over the implications of the country’s invasion of Ukraine.

A CIA spokesperson said that two previous campaigns, launched in 2022 and 2023, had been extremely successful, being viewed more than 2.1 million times across multiple social media platforms including Telegram, Facebook, X (previously Twitter) and Instagram. The CIA joined Telegram, the popular Russian social media platform, in May 2023, having previously issued instructions in 2022 on how disaffected Russians could contact the agency on the Dark Web.

This latest Russian-language video, titled ‘Why I contacted the CIA: the motherland’, follows the story of a fictional officer in Russia’s military intelligence agency – the GRU – reflecting on the legacy of his father, a Russian paratrooper, and his own son’s future. ‘My father was a practical man –[he] believed in Russia’, the official says, ‘He talked of cosmonauts and scientific achievements that the whole world admired’. Now, the narrator says, the real enemy is Russia’s leadership.

‘Our leaders sell out the country’, he says, ‘for palaces and yachts while our soldiers chew rotten potatoes and fire ancient weapons’. At the end of the video, the narrator says he wants to save Russia by contacting the CIA for his son’s future. ‘The people surrounding you may not want to hear the truth. We do’.

The video now has over 22,000 views on the CIA’s dedicated Russian-language feed.

quote:

At the very least, CIA and MI6 attempts to troll their Russian counterparts serve to stoke the paranoia the latter already feel

The attempt was naturally mocked by the Russian government. ‘Somebody should tell the CIA that VKontakte is much more popular here than the banned X’, said Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov. The CIA’s use of social media has also not been without problems; a cyber security researcher was able to exploit flaws in the agency’s Telegram channel to redirect users to his own site.

But the video is an innovative way of targeting disaffected officials. Last July, CIA Director Bill Burns told the Ditchley Foundation that Russia’s invasion created a ‘once-in-a-generation opportunity’ to recruit agents. ‘We’re not letting it go to waste’, he said.

It also echoes similar statements made in July 2023 by Sir Richard Moore, Chief of the UK’s MI6. Speaking at the UK Embassy in Prague weeks after the rebellion by Wagner leader Yevgeny Prigozhin, Moore encouraged Russian officials to reach out to his agency. ‘There are many Russians today who are silently appalled’, he said. ‘Our door is always open’.

Whether such campaigns have led to high-level human intelligence (HUMINT) recruitment remains to be seen. Yet at the very least, CIA and MI6 attempts to troll their Russian counterparts serve to stoke the paranoia the latter already feel. Famously, counterespionage is a ‘wilderness of mirrors’, and stoking that paranoia can only be a good thing – as Russia knows from its previous successful campaigns against Western intelligence during the Cold War. Fear of penetration can be just as debilitating as real agents passing information to the other side.

But the videos also tell us a lot about the use of history and nostalgia as a weapon. The CIA’s latest video plays on Russians’ love for the good old days of the Soviet Union to encourage reflection. Equally, while MI6 (rightly) does not reveal the identities of former agents, Moore’s most recent speech draws on the lessons of the past. Prague was chosen as the site of the crushing of the Prague Spring in 1968, an event that – like the earlier Soviet intervention in Hungary in 1956 – did much to help Western HUMINT. Then, as now, Russian officials ‘had no wish to be on the wrong side of history’. Soviet actions became an important ideological driver serving Western intelligence. One of those Moore certainly alluded to, yet never named, was Oleg Gordievsky – MI6’s most prized asset in the KGB, recruited in 1974. ‘The totalitarian world was’, Gordievsky wrote, ‘blinded by prejudice, poisoned by hatred, riddled by lies’. It was worth betraying – and others followed.

quote:

In today’s world where the UK’s agencies have a growing media profile, perhaps history should be used more fully than it has been up to now

History is not just a feel-good thing. It can be weaponised. Russia’s intelligence agencies know this already, having fully exploited the legacy of the Cambridge Five. The KGB’s successor organisation, the SVR, has openly exploited past successes for propaganda value. The SVR today holds ‘Kim’ Philby as the ‘true example of noble, courageous and principled service’. The stories of the Five are openly celebrated. ‘Putin has provided a financial grant to a project which is cooperating with the press bureau of the Russian Foreign Intelligence Service’, says Berenice Burnett, a researcher at King’s College London, whose research focuses on the legacy of the Cambridge Five. The aim is to ‘preserve and promote information on the Five’. It remains likely, she tells me, ‘that Putin’s personal interest, and presidential cash, will continue to flow into expanding the legacy of the Cambridge Five’.

The CIA itself recognises the importance of the past. The case of Oleg Penkovsky, jointly run by US and UK officials, is told through documents available online. The agency has also previously pushed the story of Penkovsky publicly, as well as disclosing the cases of others who followed in his footsteps.

The UK’s role in running Penkovsky, while an open secret, is not officially acknowledged. For MI6, it remains policy not to disclose the names of agents or officers. Only in a few cases has this policy been waived, most notably for Keith Jeffery’s authorised history of the service. The cut-off, however, is 1949, when the service was still finding its feet against the Soviet Union. The service, while undoubtedly having its disasters, has also had significant successes, running several high-level agents inside the Soviet Bloc. Some, like Gordievsky, are known; most are not.

It is right to protect the names of those who volunteer information to the UK’s foreign intelligence agency. But, as even Moore alludes to, the past can be used to encourage modern-day potential agents to work with the West, or even stoke pre-existing paranoia in Russia.

The names of agents will always be hidden – and rightly so. Agents supply information knowing their identity will always be a secret, protecting their families and future generations from harm. But in today’s world where the UK’s agencies have a growing media profile, perhaps history should be used more fully than it has been up to now. We should also play on the past, as our opponents have done. History can be weaponised – let’s poke the bear some more.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

bobtheconqueror posted:

soldiers on bases integrated into communities
a mixed civilian/military population

Fancy words for using civilians as human shields.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Orange Devil posted:

Fancy words for using civilians as human shields.

Lmao yeah. I mean less so the civilian contractors, but the human shield argument really falls short when the vast majority of military bases in the Western world are in cities.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Sure, last time we had human assets in Russia they all got rolled up because we didn't bother encrypting our communications but we've learned our lessons.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owbCW5jBQZc

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

You need to log flight hours on your helicopters. Its a better use to actually use them for something than just fly around doing nothing for training purposes

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

Now they have pizza delivered! Works for the corporate world!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You need to log flight hours on your helicopters. Its a better use to actually use them for something than just fly around doing nothing for training purposes

reminds me of the argument that "actually, air strikes on weddings saves the American tax payer money, because otherwise we'd have to decommission the missiles and that's super expensive"

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Now they have pizza delivered! Works for the corporate world!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCset-gk7no

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

We got some dudes who got kicked out of their LRS unit for jumping in beer and ordering taco bell out to the dz. Like a bunch of dudes with m4s and nvgs ran out on the road and flagged down the delivery driver. Apparently their attached air force tacp guy saw this and went "nah, gently caress this" and had his buddy come pick him up in his pov and he tattled on them

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Cheatum the Evil Midget posted:

Joe Biden has shown how much elders can contribute

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

...they're hiring the olds to blow reservists??

Ted Wassanasong
Apr 8, 2020

Slavvy posted:

Actually, beggaring your own troops in the name of means tested rentierism is Correct

If they deserved more they wouldnt be in the military, and if they wanted more they should have been an officer. Enlisted are little more than the burger flipper at a fast food joint and should be treated by society as such.

Frosted Flake posted:

Because not correcting this will lead to the downfall of the great satan, hth, but not everyone on this forum wants the military to be better at imperialism, even if people like you, do.

Ted Wassanasong has issued a correction as of 20:29 on Feb 14, 2024

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
"Stop ordering loving pizza to the war zone." said Hamas.

BillsPhoenix
Jun 29, 2023
But what if Russia aren't the bad guys? I'm just asking questions...
Russia tried to assainate/poison the US SecDef right? As were openly killing their generals and defense peeps, it's just a return to cold war killings.

The other option is he's sick with a super secret illness that can't be disclosed for reasons, he can't be replaced because ??? and what?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

He has prostrate cancer and keeps making GBS threads the bed because of it.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Cao Ni Ma posted:

He has prostrate cancer and keeps making GBS threads the bed because of it.

HouseofSuren
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica
Russia is not going to lose the war, not because all of this dumb political stuff.

It's because they have the exact same technological capabilities we do, and you're being lied to every day.

Never in my life at plant 42, did I see anything that made me go "That's something no one else has", no I actually asked the head of an ATDC lab one time "Who would win" between the US and Russia and his reply was "Neither."

Those tiny European countries are impotent and technologically backwards, alongside having so few people and weapons.

These are the facts; they liars and time will prove this.

BillsPhoenix
Jun 29, 2023
No it's because their shovels are OP.

HouseofSuren
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica
the chinese have a cool one that's basically a multi tool

https://www.amazon.com/Chinese-Military-Shovel-Emergency-WJQ-308/dp/B00A2GLZS8

BillsPhoenix
Jun 29, 2023
I'm digging the Russian nukes in space talk all over reddit today. Specifically people (in communities that are dead certain western technology is unparalleled and Russia is just hordes) are freaking out about Russia putting nukes in space to emp western satellite systems.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
it’s cool that goldeneye is finally real

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

BillsPhoenix posted:

I'm digging the Russian nukes in space talk all over reddit today. Specifically people (in communities that are dead certain western technology is unparalleled and Russia is just hordes) are freaking out about Russia putting nukes in space to emp western satellite systems.

Starfish Prime ... 2

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

BillsPhoenix posted:

Russia tried to assainate/poison the US SecDef right? As were openly killing their generals and defense peeps, it's just a return to cold war killings.

The other option is he's sick with a super secret illness that can't be disclosed for reasons, he can't be replaced because ??? and what?

He's dying of prostate cancer. They can't admit it or replace him because it would start raising questions about Biden's fitness for office. Our political system is completely paralyzed

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Biden Slashes F-35 Jet Order 18% in 2025 Budget Request, Sources Say

quote:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -U.S. President Joe Biden wants an 18% cut in the number of F-35 jets the Pentagon buys next year after Congress' cap on the size of the upcoming defense budget compelled the administration to find savings, two sources familiar with the situation said.

The Pentagon order for Lockheed Martin's stealthy fighter will drop to below 70, down from an expected order of 83, for an estimated $1.6 billion drop in spending on jets.

Is having fewer of these bad planes good or bad?

quote:

Biden's overall defense and national security budget request is expected to be $895 billion, the sources said, compelling deep cuts in a wide range of programs, delays to existing programs and slowing efforts to build weapons stocks depleted by wars in Ukraine and Israel.

On one hand, a bunch of grift programs aren't getting funded. On the other, America can't even rebuild its weapon stocks at the glacial rate they said they could.

OhFunny has issued a correction as of 23:00 on Feb 14, 2024

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

OhFunny posted:

Biden Slashes F-35 Jet Order 18% in 2025 Budget Request, Sources Say

Is having fewer of these bad planes good or bad?

On one hand, a bunch of grift programs aren't getting funded. On the other, America can't even rebuild its weapon stocks at the glacial rate they said they could.

man inflation really is out of control if increasing the defense budget by 5% can't even keep up.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
lmao that we can't keep the empire going with 895 billion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i could