Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Son of Rodney posted:

Now that my quest 2 is likely getting fully refunded: is the quest 3 worth the upgrade? I'm enjoying vr a lot and play it a few hours per week for flight sim or just random games, it costs 200 euros more than the 2 and while money isn't exactly tight it's still a hefty price difference. I know they have pancake lenses which are less sensitive and lighter, and the display is better, anything else?

its hard for me to go by pure numbers or say "yeah its objectively better" because the only quest 3 exclusives are some ar poo poo i dont care about or like, still stripped down pcvr titles. the software isnt there to "prove" that the 3 is significantly better.

that said, i was playing walkabout minigolf with my dad last night and while i was lining up a put i realized holy crap i have peripheral vision now, and could see both the ball and the cup at the same time!!! probably knocked 5+ strokes off of my game. then i looked around and i cant prove it but i swear the lighting was much better: softer shadows, more realistic looking, probably higher resolution lightmaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
The 2 works and software is largely the same library, but the 3 is just plain better quality across the board. If you can get either, absolutely get the 3. Better lenses, better image, better passthrough, etc.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Son of Rodney posted:

Now that my quest 2 is likely getting fully refunded: is the quest 3 worth the upgrade? I'm enjoying vr a lot and play it a few hours per week for flight sim or just random games, it costs 200 euros more than the 2 and while money isn't exactly tight it's still a hefty price difference. I know they have pancake lenses which are less sensitive and lighter, and the display is better, anything else?

I own a Quest 2 and I was visiting a friend this week and played with their Quest 3. The sound is much better (if you don't use external headphones or anything), it's definitely lighter. I didn't find the visuals to be that much of an upgrade. I mean, they're better but in terms of noticing the difference in practical play I wasn't really blown away. However, the passthrough is obviously WAY better, clearer and in color, so if you're going to do anything in passthrough that would be a draw.

I don't feel a particular need to upgrade my Q2 after playing with the Q3 but if I was buying new I don't know what I'd do. Probably just a question of how much extra money you feel like you have to burn.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Son of Rodney posted:

I didn't think I would be as blown away by the quest 3 as I was, but my god is it good. It is really really good. There are some uses cases where the quest 2 is likely good enough for you but god drat the edge to edge clarity, the resolution, the pass through, the play area boundary scanning. Its just so drat friction free to use.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Quest 2 is good enough, but quest 3 has some serious quality of life improvements. Just buy a better strap right away, because ugh does the standard one ever suck.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Ha! Okay seems pretty unanimous, thx guys. I'll wait till our tax return comes in I suppose. i have a kiwi quest 2 strap, I suppose it won't fit the quest 3, right?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i like the new strap better compared to stock but one thing i noticed right away was that it made my head hurt if i tightened it as much. idk if anyone else has experienced this but the quest 3 doesnt really have to be tightened as much for me to stay firmly on my head without jostling. by comparison i felt like i was constantly adjusting the quest 2

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I’m actually totally happy with the basic cloth Q3 strap. If I over tighten it, it presses on something at the back of my skull which induces headache, but it’s fine a bit looser and I usually wear a little stretchy skull cap and that provides just enough traction that a looser, comfy fit is 100% secure. Like I can wear it basically indefinitely like that.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Bad Munki posted:

I’m actually totally happy with the basic cloth Q3 strap. If I over tighten it, it presses on something at the back of my skull which induces headache, but it’s fine a bit looser and I usually wear a little stretchy skull cap and that provides just enough traction that a looser, comfy fit is 100% secure. Like I can wear it basically indefinitely like that.

Same. I expected to hate it based on near unanimous reporting but found it serviceable. I added one of those Q2 skull cup things along with a silicone cover on the facial interface and it’s fine. I prefer the minimalism of it, plus, can finally put my head back when in seats with a headrest too..

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

And it means a significantly smaller travel case is an option. I grabbed this one, it’s barely bigger than the box the Q3 came in, which was surprisingly small: EUCARLOS Hard Carrying Case... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CGRX8MGN?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

e: the skull cap I’m referring to, not to be confused with the strap accessory cup thing: https://a.co/d/db6lOz3
Also helps prevent VR hair!

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 14, 2024

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
I have an Apache 3800 (Pelican case knockoff from Harbor Freight) I used to stuff my index kit into for traveling that comfortably holds my Q3 kit inc powerbanks, chargers, cable, my tiny router for wireless, some pc accessories. It was a bit small for index but perfect for my Q3… when I bought it I knew vr stuff would get smaller so started with a cramped travel case

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
So uh

https://valveprism.com/

Wut?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
$1300 lol

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Is that actually a Valve website? Seems very...strange.

If it's real then I guess I better get it in my budget now.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i'm calling shenanigans, steampowered.com and valvesoftware.com are registered through network solutions and served via akamai but valveprism.com is registered and served through cloudflare

e: also cloudflares whois redaction doesn't mask the state/country of the real registrant, and they're in ohio, not washington

repiv fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 14, 2024

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
If you believe in it hard enough it could be real

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop
Also all instances of 'Valve' in the legal text are VaIve with a capital I.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

cant wait to get dropshipped a google cardboard with two goya bean lid lenses for 1300

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Son of Rodney posted:

Quest 3 is worth it just for the lenses alone imo, they are such an enormous difference coming from the Q2. Everything is so much clearer it's like a generational leap.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

edit: nm there's no mention on steam store so presumably this is fake.

I'll say that when I tried my wife's Q2 I didn't find it any real improvement over my Q1 so even when she wasn't using it I still preferred my Q1 for the ipd adjustment and the more comfortable strap I had on it. OTOH, putting on the Q3 was an immediate huge improvement over both in visuals (res/lenses/fov). The stock strap was the most uncomfortable vr strap I've ever worn, but when I switched to an aftermarket strap it was more comfortable than the Q1 or Q2. I think it weighs the same, but it's a bit thinner and feels less awkward on the face.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 14, 2024

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

FuzzySlippers posted:

So a steam deck for your face? More powerful than the Q3 but I would assume most pcvr games still won't run acceptably on it. I wonder if it'll stream from the computer any better than a Q3 (same 6E wireless but maybe there's some magic they can do).

It's higher res than the Q3 but I think the res is already more than sufficient on the Q3. The issue is more driving content at that resolution. Higher FoV would be nice, but I didn't see it listed. Though not $1300 nice for also losing access to the quest store (beyond oculus exclusives there are occasionally games they don't bother to port to pcvr).

vreenak.gif

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/NaraWithVR/status/1757883293138080242

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Son of Rodney posted:

Ha! Okay seems pretty unanimous, thx guys. I'll wait till our tax return comes in I suppose. i have a kiwi quest 2 strap, I suppose it won't fit the quest 3, right?

Q2 headstraps are not compatible with Q3. The arms on the headset are larger so the Q2 parts won't snap on. You will need to buy either a Q3 compatible headstrap or buy a 3D printed adapter off Etsy.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

I want to believe

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Al! posted:

cant wait to get dropshipped a google cardboard with two goya bean lid lenses for 1300

Hey now that’s a high quality P-p-p-p-prism to you.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It would be pretty insane if Valve put out something like that which could essentially play anything a steam deck could in some kind of VR space, AND do PCVR at least reasonably well.

Maybe it's too early for that, but give it a few years.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it would be insane in a different way for valve to put out a $1300 headset in tyool 2024 though

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I was willing to believe it was real because I just bought a Quest 3 recently so I just naturally assumed Valve would immediately announce a new upgraded Index the moment the return period was over.

And yeah, I had borrowed a Quest 2 to try it out and it was good, but the 3 feels better across the board, definitely concur with the previous posts that it's worth getting if you have the choice and the money difference isn't a big deal.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

repiv posted:

it would be insane in a different way for valve to put out a $1300 headset in tyool 2024 though

A VR headset, yes. A Spatial Computing Gaming Headset though... Not really? Your use-case is more comparable to replacing a laptop for this thing and, if the resolution's up to snuff, you'd be getting a pretty decent portable gaming device that presumably does floating BIG SCREENS for all your Steam Deck games and does VR on top of that with all the best toys (foveated rendering, plus eye and face tracking). Not to mention you have a standalone VR device that'd potentially run PCVR VRChat rather than Quest VRChat, which is relevant as that's pretty much the primary platform for eye and face tracking.

This wouldn't be the thing that replaces your Quest 2 or 3, it's way too expensive for that. But if you make it a question of replacing that Quest and a decent little gaming laptop, it's much more viable at that price.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Alright I did find something about the Quest I’d like to hack: shut off the stupid volume warning. The headphone jack isn’t particularly powerful so I have to crank it on headphones which pops the warning and also means it lowers the volume when it goes to sleep.

I just got in the ksc75s which live up to their rep as sounding great for the price. I didn’t like the experience of fiddling with ear buds or headphones so I want to recreate the movable headphone arms setup of the vive das on my bobovr strap. I can definitely just bend the wire on the ksc75s to hang there but to get the move out of the way and snap back in place action of the das will require some tinkering.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FuzzySlippers posted:

Alright I did find something about the Quest I’d like to hack: shut off the stupid volume warning. The headphone jack isn’t particularly powerful so I have to crank it on headphones which pops the warning and also means it lowers the volume when it goes to sleep.

I just got in the ksc75s which live up to their rep as sounding great for the price. I didn’t like the experience of fiddling with ear buds or headphones so I want to recreate the movable headphone arms setup of the vive das on my bobovr strap. I can definitely just bend the wire on the ksc75s to hang there but to get the move out of the way and snap back in place action of the das will require some tinkering.

Go look up the Bionik Mantis Earpods. They strap on just fine onto a Quest.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Gort posted:

$1300 lol

I mean "3840x3552 per eye" if that weren't fake I'd go for it. If it had Pimax FOV then absolutely I would.

edit: It would have been about the same launch price as the Index kit after inflation too.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 15, 2024

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The Apple VR headset is a joke of a product but I hope that insane screen resolution becomes the norm and gets picked up by other VR companies

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

smoobles posted:

The Apple VR headset is a joke of a product but I hope that insane screen resolution becomes the norm and gets picked up by other VR companies

It will take a while to filter down. The only thing comparable right now in PPD is the gigantic Pimax headsets.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Is there a program that let's me manipulate my PC files and favorite websites as like floating neon cubes, like we were promised in the 90s?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Nreal was talking about an AR laptop without a screen but not sure if anything came of it. If the intent is to make something for productivity too then cramming all the hardware into the headset seems unnecessary since it’ll just make it heavier and more awkward and you need accessories to use it productively anyway. Put just the display, sensors, dedicated wireless antenna, and a battery in the glasses and everything else in a thick keyboard. The constraint of staying somewhat near the base unit when playing wiggle around VR would seem nbd.

Then you could license the old Commodore name and call it Commodore AR/VR. gently caress slick gaming laptop looks make it a slab of beige plastic with clacky mechanical keys. Give it a retro sci-fi OS skin.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Nalin posted:

Q2 headstraps are not compatible with Q3. The arms on the headset are larger so the Q2 parts won't snap on. You will need to buy either a Q3 compatible headstrap or buy a 3D printed adapter off Etsy.

Well as luck would have it I already own a 3d printer so will probably be able to print one myself. Thanks for the clarification!

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
The Quest 3 with a Kiwi battery strap + AMVR facial interface is peak VR comfort for me. I have my head strap dialed in to where I can just pull it down onto my head and be in VR instantly, and I can tilt it up and it’s will stay just like a halo strap if I want it to. The weight balance is awesome, too.
I kept my Quest 2 also for playing with my kid, and it wasn’t until going back to that after a while with the Q2 that I realized how much narrower and bulkier the Q2 was on my face; my sinuses were screwed up within 5 minutes of playing (even with a better head strap). So now that one is the designated kid/guest headset for sure

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I have an issue with Meta and their referral system, in the last two redemption attempts, the app didn't give me 5€ to my credit account as it should (but it didn't have any error and the transaction 'completed'). I have opened a support ticket with them, let's see how it goes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Not sure if it was mentioned here but it looks like they've removed Stormlands from the Oculus store. Huge bummer. I loved Insomniacs VR games, sad they totally abandoned the genre.