Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

lih posted:

who dies and who is the killer in the forgotten city are both randomised per save file and the timeline nonsense implications aren't revealed until part 3

Part 3 features a replayable cluedo minigame.

I watched the trailers attached to the game while downloading InterMission. I hadn't seen some of these before. The parts that stood out were,

Sepiroth trying to convince Cloud that Tifa is a Jenova clone based on his (probably legitimate) belief that he killed her at the Niblehiem reactor
Sepiroth saying the Reunion is where realities merge. (Which probably had relevance to Zack's continued existence)
Zack speaking with Biggs who seems to think that all of his Avalanche chapter is dead. I assume Zack will probably respond, "I was supposed to be dead too."
And Zack speaking with Marlene while Cloud is lying asleep on a chair, Marlene tells him that Aerith is going to be killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
my favorite ff7 development thing is that in the earliest drafts of the script the black-robed figures were actually going to be Jenova's floating disembodied limbs and head

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Blockhouse posted:

my favorite ff7 development thing is that in the earliest drafts of the script the black-robed figures were actually going to be Jenova's floating disembodied limbs and head

Yeah each Jenova boss was going to be a part of Sephiroth/Jenova that broke off to fight the main party. Eventually he'd just be a floating heart

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

Sepiroth saying the Reunion is where realities merge. (Which probably had relevance to Zack's continued existence)

This part is interesting to me because Sephiroth says something different in two different trailers. In one, he describes the Reunion as "when worlds merge." In the most recent trailer, he describes the Reunion as "when spite and sorrow are harvested to feed the Planet." Makes me wonder how those fit together.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Performance mode is getting graphical improvements that will be in the update on the 21st (and the full game, obviously).

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I wonder if they’ll try to explain how the party lost all their items from the first game. Maybe their car crashes or something

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Yuffie steals them.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

triple sulk posted:

Performance mode is getting graphical improvements that will be in the update on the 21st (and the full game, obviously).

Is that when they’re adding Junon to the demo?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Is that when they’re adding Junon to the demo?

Yep

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

RatHat posted:

I wonder if they’ll try to explain how the party lost all their items from the first game. Maybe their car crashes or something

"Man, that guy we got the ride from really drove a hard bargain, I can't believe we had to trade all our materia, weapons and various potions just to get in the car".

Then he shows up as an optional boss with a mech made from all the weapons stuck together with all the materia jammed in it, much later in the game.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

"Man, that guy we got the ride from really drove a hard bargain, I can't believe we had to trade all our materia, weapons and various potions just to get in the car".

Then he shows up as an optional boss with a mech made from all the weapons stuck together with all the materia jammed in it, much later in the game.

The secret origin of Triceratops Tank

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

RatHat posted:

That would be like needing to explain why a Phoenix Down won't work on Aeris.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
In the canonical playthrough, Cloud didn't pick up anything or get any level ups

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

triple sulk posted:

Is this the first time all the 'don't worry, this is just a demo, the full game will look better' comments could turn out to be true?

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

The Dave posted:

That would be like needing to explain why a Phoenix Down won't work on Aeris.

Did you think the guy that owns the truck from the end of Intergrade was giving them a lift for free?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

stev posted:

Is this the first time all the 'don't worry, this is just a demo, the full game will look better' comments could turn out to be true?

The only thing that really bugged me is how lovely some of the NPCs look. That and Aerith always looking weird in very specific lighting.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I didn't play the demo but the lighting on Cloud struck me as really weird in that first trailer with Cloud and Sephiroth doing a move together

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I didn't play the demo but the lighting on Cloud struck me as really weird in that first trailer with Cloud and Sephiroth doing a move together

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about. It happens to Cloud too sometimes. Aerith is just the worst for it.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
When I was a pre-teen I had a crush on Yuffie and worked hard to get her on the Gold Saucer date. Now I kinda hope she's not able to go :yikes:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mike the TV posted:

When I was a pre-teen I had a crush on Yuffie and worked hard to get her on the Gold Saucer date. Now I kinda hope she's not able to go :yikes:

"Cloud Strife is dating a teenager?!"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

To be clear, Cloud spent more time with her than we saw, they flash forward through multiple conversations and such. It still sucks though, especially considering that she was nothing but supportive of him.

My impression was that clearly remembering those interactions would just directly conflict with his "constructed reality," so his mind skipped past them.

triple sulk posted:

That's a nice surprise, since I had already adjusted to the way it currently is.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 14, 2024

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So, in Kingdom Hearts Nomura ALWAYS puts some explanation as to why Sora loses all his godlike abilities and power for the start of the new game. What is the explanation for why Cloud and co. won't be roided out at the start?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
They leveled up like 10 times in Shinra Tower but then lost those levels after the adrenaline wore out. Sephiroth stole most of the parties materia and gear while they were on their way out of the final boss dimension, to pawn for hair product money.

Tifa spent all of the parties gil in Kalm, on the most expensive shower in town.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gologle posted:

So, in Kingdom Hearts Nomura ALWAYS puts some explanation as to why Sora loses all his godlike abilities and power for the start of the new game. What is the explanation for why Cloud and co. won't be roided out at the start?

Any gain in power over the course of Remake can very easily (and reasonably) be attributed to "gameplay abstraction," since it doesn't logically make any sense for Cloud/Barrett/etc's combat ability to significantly increase over the court of their Midgar adventures.

Like there aren't any actual story events that directly impart power to the characters, so levels/stats/equipment is all just gameplay abstraction.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Any gain in power over the course of Remake can very easily (and reasonably) be attributed to "gameplay abstraction," since it doesn't logically make any sense for Cloud/Barrett/etc's combat ability to significantly increase over the court of their Midgar adventures.

Like there aren't any actual story events that directly impart power to the characters, so levels/stats/equipment is all just gameplay abstraction.

What a way to ignore our friend Chadley.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Cloud is trying his best

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Gologle posted:

ghosts did it

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

i hope we get a knights of the round summon in part 3

and it better have at least an uninterruptible 2 minute animation

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

biceps crimes posted:

I am positive we will and it will have a crazy big boss fight ala the FFXIV version.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Okay, summons I'll grant you. And I guess that one sword Cloud buys as part of the story.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

The Nailbat is the only canon that matters

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They beat up a bunch of monsters and houses and pick up sick loot/xp which is how most JRPG characters get more powerful.

Presumably they'll also be going from flinging firagas to barely scraping a fire together. Almost all of it can be explained by Yuffie robbing them though.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

biceps crimes posted:

KotR just summons 13 giant armored guys who all run around like a bunch of little kids playing soccer and dogpile the enemy in a big blob that fills the screen

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Asterite34 posted:

KotR just summons 13 giant armored guys who all run around like a bunch of little kids playing soccer and dogpile the enemy in a big blob that fills the screen

It's gonna kick rear end

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Asterite34 posted:

Sadly I think that’d be a bit much to keep track of during a fight. I’m guessing it’ll only summon Arthur, Lancelot, and Gawain(the last 3) at most and the other 10 will join for the ultimate attack.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I cant wait to see how they reimagine the weapon fights. Make them a set piece where if you've like, done the KotR side quest they're just summoned at the start of a Weapon fight and running interference while you're trying to get close enough to do damage. In my head I'm imagining the person spinning the spear at the top of the ocean so that there's a vortex to the bottom around you while you're fighting Emerald and that's how you get around a time limit for air.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The FF16 route where Cloud uses Gigantify materia to grow 500 feet tall for a fistfight

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My theory about the Weapons is that they'll be moved from Optional to Mandatory and tied to the Huge Materia questlines.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Weren't Ruby and Emerald the only optional ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RatHat posted:

Weren't Ruby and Emerald the only optional ones?

Ultima was optional as well.

Edit:

In fact, as released:

The original release ONLY had Ultimate Weapon, the rest were regulated to cutscenes and were entirely non-fightable.
International/The US release added a mandatory Diamond Weapon fight and optional Emerald and Ruby fights
Sapphire has always been regulated to cutscene only.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 14, 2024