Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You had to fight Ultima weapon at Mideel right before Cloud takes a mako dip, but finishing it off was optional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SettingSun posted:

You had to fight Ultima weapon at Mideel right before Cloud takes a mako dip, but finishing it off was optional.

Yeah, sorry, to be clear you had a mandatory encounter with it but then you could ignore it. (Why you would is a question but you could.)

But at this point Weapons are such a big part of FF7 that I can't imagine they won't make them something you have to fight, maybe with a harder version or something as an unlockable.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Part 3 is going to be named Reunion isn’t it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TK-42-1 posted:

They already used Reunion on Crisis Core.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I think sometimes about how goddamn weird it is that the world itself has a defense against threats, and that defense is a squad of supersize organic gundams.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I'm still gonna guess Redemption

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

TK-42-1 posted:

If Part 2 ends significantly differently from the original I'm guessing Redo or Rewrite for Part 3

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SettingSun posted:

I think sometimes about how goddamn weird it is that the world itself has a defense against threats, and that defense is a squad of supersize organic gundams.

I mean it makes sense in that the world in FF7 is an actual sentient living thing in a universe where alien invaders who eat planets exist. Even if they didn't exist before I figure a Jenova is enough to make you start investing in killing machines.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

They already used Reunion on Crisis Core.

Oh right. That seems like a bit of a wasted opportunity. What other Re- word would even fit? Redemption maybe if they go full Nomura?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Revengeance

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

If not Redemption, then Retribution

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh, I get it. Nanaki will die in Rebirth. That will make the third game Red Dead Redemption.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

stev posted:

Revengeance

I think it's time for Cloud to let 'er mosey!

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Final Fantasy 7: Requiem

...naw, too vampire-y

Final Fantasy 7: Relapse

...no that doesn't sound good either, doesn't have that triumphant last entry vibe

Final fantasy 7: Renegade?

pff gently caress no, sounds like a Syfy original movie

Maybe Final fantasy 7: Redeem? Ya know, if they go for the "Sephiroth turns good" angle?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Revolutions

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Reloaded

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
RE

For Resident Evil. That's why there's been no RE9 news, because Umbrella and Shinra were going through a merger.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

RatHat posted:

If Part 2 ends significantly differently from the original I'm guessing Redo or Rewrite for Part 3

But I was told You Can (Not) Redo

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Can’t wait for the trilogy collection: Final Fantasy 7 RRR

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

SettingSun posted:

Speaking of WEAPONS, are they going to make them smaller in the third game? Because in the OG they were absolutely massive, every single one dwarfed the party, I can't imagine it would play well in the modern games, it would either be laggy as hell or you would essentially be cutting down fleshy tree trunk legs.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Gologle posted:

Speaking of WEAPONS, are they going to make them smaller in the third game? Because in the OG they were absolutely massive, every single one dwarfed the party, I can't imagine it would play well in the modern games, it would either be laggy as hell or you would essentially be cutting down fleshy tree trunk legs.

Well, we had the Whisper Harbinger as sort of a test bed I guess but I'm not sure anyone would find that compelling.

Asterite34 posted:

Final Fantasy 7: Requiem

...naw, too vampire-y

Final Fantasy 7: Relapse

...no that doesn't sound good either, doesn't have that triumphant last entry vibe

Final fantasy 7: Renegade?

pff gently caress no, sounds like a Syfy original movie

Maybe Final fantasy 7: Redeem? Ya know, if they go for the "Sephiroth turns good" angle?

Revengence

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

stev posted:

Revengeance

Zack is back.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Actually I was watching the trailers again, did they ever fire the Junon cannon for any reason before Sapphire Weapon?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Caidin posted:

Actually I was watching the trailers again, did they ever fire the Junon cannon for any reason before Sapphire Weapon?

I don’t think they did. It was supposed to end the Wutai war but they surrendered either right before or right after it was finished

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Caidin posted:

Well, we had the Whisper Harbinger as sort of a test bed I guess but I'm not sure anyone would find that compelling.

Seems like it would make the most sense, unfortunately. Hopefully they can come up with something better!

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Part 3 will be called Reeeeeeee

It's pronounced like tinnitus.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
FFVII: Rebound - Cloud dates Tifa for a bit to get over Aerith, but then ghosts her in more ways than one

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

FFVII Repeater… Repeater… one, two, three, Repeater

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Played the demo, it's good although God drat I'm having trouble with the co trols after playing lots and lots of Horizon: Forbidden West and then Final Fantasy XVI.

I love how there are loads of little hints that Cloud's telling of the story isn't accurate if you know what you're looking for. There were a few departures from the old script that made me a little sad - no Sephiroth calling Hojo a 'walking mass of complexes', he doesn't ask himself "Was I created this way, too? Am I....human?" the way he used to, and I wish it had gone to the end of the flashback with him opening the sealed chamber in the Nibelheim reactor. One problem for me was that the town wasn't laid out the way it used to be, and the Shin-Ra Mansion wasn't in the right spot - it meant that Sephiroth would have had to take a little detour on his way to Mt. Nibel and honestly at that point in his derangement I can't imagine him making the effort.

I loved how they showed his descent into madness and represented it with the change in his eyes. I love how the candles flared up when he announced his decision to go and see his mother and how 'Those Chosen By The Planet' started up when it happened. In fact, all the music was great, but of course we knew that it would be. I liked all the little details. One thing that really stood out for me was the decorations in Shin-Ra Mansion - there's paintings of Mt. Nibel in the niches on either side of the doorway and there's a portrait of President Shin-Ra over the fireplace in the dining room.

God, I'm so excited for it all.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

SettingSun posted:

We were all really high on Evangelion back then.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SettingSun posted:

And ghosts

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Final Fantasy VII: Rehydrated

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Final Fantasy VII: Rip A Huge Fart And Then Leave

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
The Weapons are both very cool and it's sort of a shame that they are really useless when it comes to the whole Jenova problem.

The one they invented for Dirge even sounds like it was made for exactly situations like Sephiroth's Meteor plan too

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Caidin posted:

The Weapons are both very cool and it's sort of a shame that they are really useless when it comes to the whole Jenova problem.

The one they invented for Dirge even sounds like it was made for exactly situations like Sephiroth's Meteor plan too

It is kind of hilarious that the WEAPONs, which were made by the planet to fight Jenova, instead of staying at the Northern Crater were Jenova was, hosed off elsewhere around the world as soon as they were awakened and were then locked out of the place where Jenova was by Sephiroth's barrier, so they just kind of milled around and started attacking humanity's most gaudy insults to the natural world: Junon, Midgar, and the Gold Saucer.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Weapons not being fightable in the original release blows my mind; they don't do anything otherwise.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm honestly not sure what the plans with the Weapons were considering that Jenova mainly killed the Cetra by shapeshifter-murdering her way through the population. Not really the type of problem a giant robot is going to solve.

And now in Remake there's the added lore that the basis for Shiva's the one who froze Jenova in the Northern Crater to begin with so good job, Weapons!

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

I'm honestly not sure what the plans with the Weapons were considering that Jenova mainly killed the Cetra by shapeshifter-murdering her way through the population. Not really the type of problem a giant robot is going to solve.

And now in Remake there's the added lore that the basis for Shiva's the one who froze Jenova in the Northern Crater to begin with so good job, Weapons!

isn't it said at some point that the point of the weapons is just to wipe out all life, under the principle that hey, there's one way to guarantee you kill someone who could be anyone

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the weapons exist because the staff had just seen EVA and theyd work out why they existed or why they were even in the game later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The WEAPONS were to fight off any threat to the planet. Omega WEAPON was to be an ark of all the Lifestream if things got so bad the Planet decided "gently caress this poo poo I'm out" and CHAOS was to kill off any stragglers to get them onboard.