Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

soggybagel posted:

More came out about the guy today. Like, he was shoving sticks up his own rear end as well. Dude liked having fun.

https://x.com/nypost/status/1757789126995157368?s=20

Good news, Penn State fans fed up with Sandusky jokes....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Komet posted:

Somebody please start talking about barbecue

what the gently caress is wrong with the big 10. so many schools in that conference seem to be magnets for sex pests.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I. M. Gei posted:

The gently caress did I miss? :catstare:

This pretty respected Chemical Engineering prof got caught loving his dog last year and begged the cops to kill him.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Neil Armbong posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with the big 10. so many schools in that conference seem to be magnets for sex pests.
it's the lack of good barbecue I think

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Komet posted:

Y'all like hardwood charcoal or briquettes?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Why not stick things up your rear end in the privacy of your own backyard

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Fifty Three posted:

Plenty of midwesterners enjoy a nice hot dog or burger straight from the grill!

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Rectal Placenta posted:

That's a cook out, my man

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Fifty Three posted:

drat this is good bait

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Neil Armbong posted:

someone post Ohiostatefan.jpg stat

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Thermos H Christ posted:

Coal chat, mostly

:coal:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Henchman of Santa posted:

This pretty respected Chemical Engineering prof got caught loving his dog last year and begged the cops to kill him.

when the cops are even too disgusted to murder you

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

drunk leprechaun posted:

I'm a mining engineer who worked in WV mines early in my career. You can make fun of people from WV identifying so much with coal mining, but it's a very real cultural phenomenon out there.

I actually think it makes total sense to develop an identity around literally powering American industry and innovation for over a century.

Thanks for the write up. I agree this was a good derail.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

sharknado slashfic posted:

Why not stick things up your rear end in the privacy of your own backyard

Rectal Placenta posted:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

they should call it Unhappy Valley imo :hmmyes:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

drat Dirty Ape posted:

This coal thing kind of reminds me of Pittsburgh and all the “Steel City” stuff.

Pittsburgh still produces a lot of steel at multiple mills and has one of the last six fully integrated mills in the US. Even with reduced production, there's still a lot of steel flying around doing other things. There's at least three plants that I can think of that process slabs produced in Ohio into sheet products, a few treatment lines, and two companies that make shapes.

And that's just from plants that I drive past when I'm back home.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

LeeMajors posted:

I actually think it makes total sense to develop an identity around literally powering American industry and innovation for over a century.

Thanks for the write up. I agree this was a good derail.

What if we do a switcheroo/Freaky Friday season where Iowa and Nebraska are all about coal and West Virginia is really into corn.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Let's focus on the really important bit about the Penn State Perv Prof:

The Article posted:

Matsoukas — who earned his Ph.D. from Michigan and was with Penn State since 1991 — was relieved of his responsibilities as a professor and put on leave after his arrest last year.\

Hail to the victors.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Might as well ask the question here since the article and the company's webpage doesn't:
What is the source of carbon to alloy the iron into steel if not from coal/coke in this process?

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Maxwells Demon posted:

Might as well ask the question here since the article and the company's webpage doesn't:
What is the source of carbon to alloy the iron into steel if not from coal/coke in this process?

It doesn't use carbon. The article literally has a flow chart that shows conventional and the new process side by side. And I thought did an OK job explaining the process from a high level.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Have it your way

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Cthulu Carl posted:

Let's focus on the really important bit about the Penn State Perv Prof:

Hail to the victors.

Just ban the entire B1G, just to be safe

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Komet posted:

WVU is going to wear all black uniforms for a "coal rush" week 1 against Penn State. The contrast between Penn State's all whites is cool, but honestly, West Virginia needs to move beyond its coal mining identity.

When I think of a sport that gracefully ages its way out of now-irrelevant cultural markers, I think of college football

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Just ban the entire B1G, just to be safe

Lookit this guy not wanting to stick things in his rear end in privacy!

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

drunk leprechaun posted:

It doesn't use carbon. The article literally has a flow chart that shows conventional and the new process side by side. And I thought did an OK job explaining the process from a high level.

I think the question is how you can make steel with no carbon in it when it's required to be in the alloy to actually make it steel

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Komet posted:

I got this a couple weeks ago.

Some dude on our Rivals board put together this nearly 300 page illustrated history of BBQ, restaurants, and recipes in South Carolina. There are like 27 recipes for hash alone! AFAIK that is a South Carolina thing.
I know it's popular to argue about BBQ here in terms of monolithic States, but the truth in SC is more nuanced as I expect it is everywhere.

This is super cool and I can't imagine the time it took to do this. The story of getting this published and the saga of following the box container across the Pacific to Charleston SC alone was almost worth the purchase price.

Now back to the Nitty Lion dog-pile.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Komet posted:

I've never had barbecue food before

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I miss Texas barbecue, it is good. Connecticut barbecue is not good.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

All cultures globally have their version of barbecue just like all cultures globally have some form of a dough stuff pastry that is probably fried. They are all good. Except Alabama and their disgusting white mayo barbecue sauce. I’ll die on that hill :colbert:

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

KKKLIP ART posted:

All cultures globally have their version of barbecue just like all cultures globally have some form of a dough stuff pastry that is probably fried. They are all good. Except Alabama and their disgusting white mayo barbecue sauce. I’ll die on that hill :colbert:

Also, everyone has a dumpling.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

That's what he meant but the probably fried comment is wrong the global probability distribution leans towards baked

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I'm in a weird spot where the old beater grill I inherited from my Dad when we got our first apartment finally died, a decade on. After he had run it into the ground for several years. I'm stuck in this weird middle ground where I want a new propane grill, I want an outdoor griddle, and I want a smoker. What's the best bang for my buck to grab one early season & save up for the next one or both? Probably just the plain jane grill, yeah?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Thermos H Christ posted:

Connecticut barbecue

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Rectal Placenta posted:

I think the question is how you can make steel with no carbon in it when it's required to be in the alloy to actually make it steel

Yeah, the diagram seems a little over simplified. It seems like an EAF that's being fed pellets, but the diagram only would produce iron? And how are you extracting impurities without a high carbonate material for them to bind to?

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Omnikin posted:

I'm in a weird spot where the old beater grill I inherited from my Dad when we got our first apartment finally died, a decade on. After he had run it into the ground for several years. I'm stuck in this weird middle ground where I want a new propane grill, I want an outdoor griddle, and I want a smoker. What's the best bang for my buck to grab one early season & save up for the next one or both? Probably just the plain jane grill, yeah?

Splurge for a Weber grill. They are pricey (you have to wait until fall to get them on clearance. I got the 3 burner one for $500), but it's a huge quality upgrade over a $150 propane grill from Walmart. They cook like a convection oven, and you can fall back on cooking food on the grill with a Dutch oven if you have a power outage in the winter.

The iron grill makes a huge difference. Having a smoker would be great, but the grill is much more versatile.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
https://www.facebook.com/share/NZfiQWgpxn4ZPfFT/?mibextid=WC7FNe

STAY CALMMM

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

drewhead posted:

Some dude on our Rivals board put together this nearly 300 page illustrated history of BBQ, restaurants, and recipes in South Carolina. There are like 27 recipes for hash alone! AFAIK that is a South Carolina thing.
I know it's popular to argue about BBQ here in terms of monolithic States, but the truth in SC is more nuanced as I expect it is everywhere.

This is super cool and I can't imagine the time it took to do this. The story of getting this published and the saga of following the box container across the Pacific to Charleston SC alone was almost worth the purchase price.

Now back to the Nitty Lion dog-pile.

this is really cool, is there a link where i can purchase the insane sc bbq manifesto

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hmmm they claim it's still releasing in July but it's College Football 2025 :thunk:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

that's the madden nomenclature so we're still on pace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

drewhead posted:

this is loving awesome. i remember going to myrtle beach a long, long time ago and on the last day of the trip we realized we hadn't eaten any bbq. we drove around until we found a place that looked like it was a converted trailer home with smoke pouring out the back and a rickety screen door. the food was absolutely amazing a+ would recommend sc bbq any day.