Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Dub moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Dub game. Aside from the yelling it's alright, but the troubled production is obvious with the lack of English lip sync. It's Garth Marenghi's buddy, Dr Sanchez.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I feel like the dub improved in Torna a fair bit (save for certain characters) but that may be just an association thing since so many other things were better in Torna in general.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Terper posted:

Creator of Suikoden and main scenario writer/boss for Eiyuden Chronicle passed away last week

F

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Terper posted:

Creator of Suikoden and main scenario writer/boss for Eiyuden Chronicle passed away last week

Right before Eiyuden came out too, that’s beyond brutal

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

at least he was able to finish his work on it, but yeah, rough

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That absolutely blows

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's good that he was able to see the fan response from the kickstarter even if he didn't live to see the response to the game at least. RIP.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Nucular Carmul posted:

Having Tales of Symphonia be my first Tales game sucks rear end because I love it and have tons of nostalgia for it but everywhere online talks mad poo poo about it lmao

That game was fun to play but had so many dumb moments. Regal letting fly with a Kamehameha for plot progression reasons then going back to "nah I continue to refuse to use my hands to fight due to guilt, being ok with putting two worlds at risk in the process" was some peak stupidity though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that was also one of the best scenes in the game

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Ys X releases in the west in autumn. Durante is on the PC port.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
i watched a stream of someone playing the first two hours of P3 Reload, and damnit, i'm so thirsty to play it now. to scratch that smt or persona itch
i just wait for a sale price though, played the hell out of P3 in college forever ago.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's free on gamepass

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GateOfD posted:

i watched a stream of someone playing the first two hours of P3 Reload, and damnit, i'm so thirsty to play it now. to scratch that smt or persona itch
i just wait for a sale price though, played the hell out of P3 in college forever ago.

If you've a Xbox it's on gamepass.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
i don't.
why does it seem like xbox is worth getting, but not for any actual xbox games you be willing to pay for. just the stuff on gamepass

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GateOfD posted:

i don't.
why does it seem like xbox is worth getting, but not for any actual xbox games you be willing to pay for. just the stuff on gamepass

That's basically X-Box's model at the moment, which is why there are all those ongoing rumors they're going to be DYING FOREVER AND BECOMING GAMEPASS ONLY.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Gamepass is also on PC.:cheerdoge:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I beat Yakuza 0. This November, I’m going to vote for Kazuma Kiryu to become the President of the United States.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Xenoblade 2 Chapter 3: Good Christ, this map was designed by someboy who wore boxing gloves while they typed.

NBA FAN !!!!!!!
Dec 4, 2002

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Xenoblade 2 Chapter 3: Good Christ, this map was designed by someboy who wore boxing gloves while they typed.

Don’t go as the crow flies to any compass goal, you’ll usually be either way above or below it. I was bothered by the map design at first but it encourages you to figure out weird paths to your goal and it’s cool. Also what

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
i think i know what map he's talking about.
i too got really annoyed by that part and took forever trying to figure out where the tracker was telling me where to go.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
beginning my second attempt to finish king's field 2

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

NBA FAN !!!!!!! posted:

Don’t go as the crow flies to any compass goal, you’ll usually be either way above or below it. I was bothered by the map design at first but it encourages you to figure out weird paths to your goal and it’s cool. Also what

Yeah you get used to it. 3 fixes it from what I’ve seen so far with the dead space string that just tells you where to go when you toggle it on.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

MechaX posted:

Right before Eiyuden came out too, that’s beyond brutal

Suikoden 2 & 3 are among my favorite RPGs ever so yeah the news this morning sucks. RIP to a real pioneer.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
1, 2, 3, and 5 are all bangers... 4 is... confused

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Mad Wack posted:

Murayama didn't actually have anything to do with Suikoden 4 or 5, or any of the spinoffs after 3.

Personally, my favorite part of Suikodens 1-3 was carrying data between each game. It made me feel super invested in the world; it's not just Suikoden, it's my version of Suikoden. I hope Aiyuden carries this tradition forward if it continues as a series.

(I seem to recall Suikoden Tactics had some bonuses from S4 data too? Never played S:T so I can't say for sure)

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Tequila Bob posted:

(I seem to recall Suikoden Tactics had some bonuses from S4 data too? Never played S:T so I can't say for sure)

I know the import at least carried over your name for the protagonist from 4 but forget what else, it's been a while.

Tactics saved 4's characters for me but I don't think I'll ever go back and replay 4.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KariOhki posted:

I know the import at least carried over your name for the protagonist from 4 but forget what else, it's been a while.

Tactics saved 4's characters for me but I don't think I'll ever go back and replay 4.

The import is what lets you recruit Protagonist4 and Snowe.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
5 has always been my favorite and tactics is one of those really boring games that even I couldn't get into

2 > 3 > 1

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

bewilderment posted:

If you want some weirder graphics and plotting, Weird and Unfortunate Things Are Happening is a horror RPG in the Earthbound vein of things (as opposed to, a horror walking sim made in RPGmaker). It's also free and very high quality for that price!

The conversation has moved past this but I'll second this rec. WUTH is a real good time.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mad Wack posted:

Suikoden 3 just had so much tedious back-and-forth running around due to the lack of an overworld coupled with Viki being available so late, making you run through the same.loving.forest.over.and.over. Also having certain runes only available as drops in certain areas that are only available to specific characters/chapters.

The quality of the series is definitely 2>5>1>3>Tactics>4 with Tierkries sitting in the garbage bin where it belongs.

I put 5 in a close 2nd behind 2 because 5 has so, so much going on and is worse on blink-and-you-missed-it recruitment windows. The first couple hours of Suikoden 5 gets hate for being slow but there's a lot of story going on and gets set up there. 5 does have hands down the worst tactician though.

KariOhki posted:

You had to import Suikoden 4 data to be able to recruit Lazlo and Snowe, they just aren't available (outside the initial tutorial level) otherwise. Lazlo is, unsurprisingly, broken as all hell in Tactics.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Suikoden 3 just had so much tedious back-and-forth running around due to the lack of an overworld coupled with Viki being available so late, making you run through the same.loving.forest.over.and.over. Also having certain runes only available as drops in certain areas that are only available to specific characters/chapters.

The quality of the series is definitely 2>5>1>3>Tactics>4 with Tierkries sitting in the garbage bin where it belongs.

I put 5 in a close 2nd behind 2 because 5 has so, so much going on and is worse on blink-and-you-missed-it recruitment windows. The first couple hours of Suikoden 5 gets hate for being slow but there's a lot of story going on and gets set up there. 5 does have hands down the worst tactician though.

You had to import Suikoden 4 data to be able to recruit Lazlo and Snowe, they just aren't available (outside the initial tutorial level) otherwise. Lazlo is, unsurprisingly, broken as all hell in Tactics.

i was gonna say drunken lady from 4 is worse but at least i remember her while i dont have any memory of the suikoden 5 tactician

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I wanna know, idly: the impression I got was that Shining Force games had way weirder characters than your average Fire Emblem, and that by endgame, only about a third of your party was basic knights, archers, mages and healers and that the other two-thirds were things like robots, guys who ride flying machines, werewolves, small people in mecha, people in Da Vinci style flying machines, baby dragons and the like. Is that an exaggeration, either in terms of how many their are or how unique/mechanically interesting/viable they tend to be?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the visual designs are fairly interesting but they arent really that mechnically interesting. like the centaurs are just taking the place of cavalry in normal SRPGs. werewolves are just unarmed fighters. theres like maybe two or three characters who are that oddball mechanically per game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

babypolis posted:

i was gonna say drunken lady from 4 is worse but at least i remember her while i dont have any memory of the suikoden 5 tactician

5's tactician is Lucretia, who just basically never makes any mistakes and always knows what to do and is basically the perfect strategist to the point of being boring. Apple, Shu, and the Silverbergs in 1-3 all were more interesting and, more importantly, had flaws and made mistakes. I forget if there was a tactician in Tierkries because I've mercifully forgotten a lot (but not enough) of that game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
spent all day playing king's field 2 and all i have to say is, その資格はない

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lucretia is kinda boring but also shes gay-coded so i support her

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
she was cool, I think apple is my favourite of them though

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Endorph posted:

the visual designs are fairly interesting but they arent really that mechnically interesting. like the centaurs are just taking the place of cavalry in normal SRPGs. werewolves are just unarmed fighters. theres like maybe two or three characters who are that oddball mechanically per game.

Kiwi in SF2 is one of the coolest characters both design-wise and mechanically and it's tragic that he's almost unusably bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Junpei posted:

I wanna know, idly: the impression I got was that Shining Force games had way weirder characters than your average Fire Emblem, and that by endgame, only about a third of your party was basic knights, archers, mages and healers and that the other two-thirds were things like robots, guys who ride flying machines, werewolves, small people in mecha, people in Da Vinci style flying machines, baby dragons and the like. Is that an exaggeration, either in terms of how many their are or how unique/mechanically interesting/viable they tend to be?

It's primarily aesthetic. The game has unit paradigms that most units fall into regardless of how they look because the games are mechanically somewhat basic. Guntz from Shining Force 1 might be an armadillo man wearing steam powered power armor, but in practice he functions very similarly to your normal dwarf warriors(slow, tanky frontline beatstick with no magic).

That said, the visual variety is extremely awesome. Lyle from SF1 might effectively just be a mounted archer mechanically, but he's a centaur with a bazooka and that goes a long way.