Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

ill give b&w this: the "explode everything" miracle icon looked like a flower and when i casted it for the first time i was very confused but also _very_ amused

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

ragdolls were the best invention made in videogames

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Space Kablooey posted:

ragdolls were the best invention made in videogames

no
this basically exchange is the best invention in video games:

npc) hi would you like to exchange
a) yes
b) gently caress you bitch
- player selects b)
npc) you've made an enemy for life
npc throws a wheel of cheese

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Disco Pope posted:

Richard III & Knuckles

this one was better imo

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

"Worshippers need food"

"Worshippers need food"

"Worshipper need food"

gently caress you I'm not casting Miracle: Grain. Just eat somebody.

deeeaaath

deeeaaaattthh

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vic posted:

Let's not go that far, the later levels were a slog to play through and they steal your pet too which is like half the gameplay gone. It then turns to a really tedious RTS with less mechanics than populous. You probably just experienced it at the right age of 10-15.

Haha yeah I loved it when it was new but I eventually replayed it as an adult and yeah, it was fun at first maybe too easy once you know what you're meant to do, and later on stopped being as fun and more feeling like chores.

What I really just want is someone to take the fun parts and just lean into it and see where it goes without trying to mash it into something familiar or popular at the time. More a sandbox than a manager I think. Falling sand world building continents Sim Earth style and doodle god combining the elements to make people thrive and generate faith energy to raise your big demigod critter.

There was an Xbox live arcade game where all you really did was sculpt sandy terrain and splash some crude water physics around, maybe some more structure to it than that but I spent a ton of time just landscaping.

Realistically since the games sucked and involve some weirdo AI (seems like good AI is the most out of reach coding thing for indie projects) there's no winning template to copy for amateurs and "risky one-time-sale sandbox game based on a few working parts of an old game from a dead company" is a hard pitch.

Also lol at Wikipedia having a Fate: Dissolved tag for Lionhead.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Anyone remember Kartia? The world of rpc

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Vakal posted:

As fun as a new Black and White would be, I think I would be more interested to see what a Giants: Citizen Kuboto remake would look like on a proper modern game engine.

I got to play that back in the day, went in knowing nothing more than I liked the developer. Giants is such a wild ride.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

The Moon Monster posted:

Concept pitch: Ye Olde Gamer Theatre

It's like a regular theater except half of the stage is taken up by a big screen that displays all of the characters' dialogue. You can read Hamlet's entire soliloquy by the time he's only 1/4 of the way through giving it, and then play Angry Birds on your phone or something while he catches up.

ill stick to watching plays/musicals normally thanks
but they really need to invent this for AAA moviegame cutscenes

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

Vic posted:

Let's not go that far, the later levels were a slog to play through and they steal your pet too which is like half the gameplay gone. It then turns to a really tedious RTS with less mechanics than populous. You probably just experienced it at the right age of 10-15.

oh yeah, this is certainly true. i was 13 and i was (and continue to be) enamored by games that simulate little worlds/systems/minds. b&w is one of the most polished examples of that if you just ignore, you know, most of the game

related: the same problem of "cool unique concept awkwardly shoehorned into an rts" happened to dungeonkeeper. another molyneux joint iirc

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

At least in the 90s and early aughts there were legitimately interesting and fun things attached to Peter Molyneux's wild-assed lies

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

MrQwerty posted:

Peter Molyneux's wild-assed lies

Eh, I'd try it

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I will defend the RTS aspects of Dungeon Keeper, without them and that external pressure you end up with some weird crafting village Ouroboros where all you do is struggle to meet creature needs, like a lovely sim city. This has also been done unironically in games such as Before the Storm and frankly its nowhere near as cool as just shoving all your dudes into a blender and attacking. I know the era of early computing games was very heavy on RTSs as it was low-hanging-fruit and other engagement systems had yet to be invented, and I'm a huge RTS fan at heart and therefore biased, but sometimes the formula just works. Yes DK2's combat was simplistic and unfixable as such, but the combat was still the right type of spice.

Its like Magic Carpet. Yes, it's a straitforward FPS with a tiny amount of base-building and resource gathering (a RTS mix-in, since that's all they could think of) but it's still cool as poo poo.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

MrQwerty posted:

At least in the 90s and early aughts there were legitimately interesting and fun things attached to Peter Molyneux's wild-assed lies

Hey, what's up with that guy? What's he done lately? I know he had a rough run in the 00s but he sure was a pioneer at one time.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I was gonna say No Man's Sky, but that was some other shameless liar.

edit: Funny how that's Molyneux's legacy.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
No Man's Sky got a lot of work put into it tho, and a lot of people enjoy it, quite the turnaround from launch.

Molyneux was a guy that just hoped tech and games could keep up with the poo poo he mouthed off about, and unfortunately it could not keep pace.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

credburn posted:

Hey, what's up with that guy? What's he done lately? I know he had a rough run in the 00s but he sure was a pioneer at one time.

First he scammed people with a mobile game where he never delivered on the grand prize and abandoned the game, and then recently hes failed to scam people with NFTs

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Serephina posted:

I will defend the RTS aspects of Dungeon Keeper, without them and that external pressure you end up with some weird crafting village Ouroboros where all you do is struggle to meet creature needs, like a lovely sim city. This has also been done unironically in games such as Before the Storm and frankly its nowhere near as cool as just shoving all your dudes into a blender and attacking. I know the era of early computing games was very heavy on RTSs as it was low-hanging-fruit and other engagement systems had yet to be invented, and I'm a huge RTS fan at heart and therefore biased, but sometimes the formula just works. Yes DK2's combat was simplistic and unfixable as such, but the combat was still the right type of spice.

Its like Magic Carpet. Yes, it's a straitforward FPS with a tiny amount of base-building and resource gathering (a RTS mix-in, since that's all they could think of) but it's still cool as poo poo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bullfrog_Productions_games

Every bullfrog game (except Hi-Octane, which sucked) had some sort of RTS element.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Molyneaux is a professional bullshitter who kept selling people on games that would never exist and was a nightmare to work for. His "vision" was always a vague idea of a simulated universe inside your computer and esoteric concepts which kept changing, and what was implemented was always poorly done smoke and mirrors.

Many of his ideas were pretty neat but that's all they were.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Serephina posted:

I was gonna say No Man's Sky, but that was some other shameless liar.

edit: Funny how that's Molyneux's legacy.

Eh, I'd say the NMS folks oversold their product by mistake, and were then handed a pile of money by Sony to follow through on a probably impossible project. To their credit, they've put a ton of work into the game and are probably one of the most successful turnarounds in gaming history. I'm looking forward to Light No Fire, personally.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

Serephina posted:

Yes DK2's combat was simplistic and unfixable as such, but the combat was still the right type of spice.

I really don't think it was. It was billed as a reverse dungeon crawler where you build a dungeon full of traps and monsters and then heros would invade. It was like that for a few levels but eventually it broke down to you build a base until you bump into the enemy dungeon at which point you pick up all your monsters and drop them on the enemy, hoping you had more dudes than them. like they didn't even have to walk, the best strategy was to pick them up and drop them into one big decisive brawl. If there are ever dudes in your dungeon past a certain level, something has gone wrong. total bait and switch on the reverse rpg idea.

I still really like dk because I will play basically any rts, but I think the mechanics fail to deliver on the original intent even worse than b&w

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

MSPain posted:

I still really like dk because I will play basically any rts

Did you try stormgate, the world's most uncared for genre with the world's most generic art style and name being sold to thousands of 50 year old whales that insist brood War is the peak of gaming because no you see games are meant to be full of not fun stuff like guiding your army around by the hands as one would with a small child in a crowded room

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
gospel. you are 100% right about stormgate. the art/setting looks so goddam boring and it will fail for the same reason harley davidson is failing: they are trying to sell new things to a group of people defined by a dislike of new things.

but yes, i'm going to play it

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Oh the open beta was this weekend so thought you were coming fresh off it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Its funny because the stormgate simps insist that it's because starcraft designers are hard focused on the game design so graphics is kinda secondary.

That'll be the exaxt same people who took 7 years to incorporate the 3 different races having different mmr numbers. Lmao

gently caress Stormgate, hope it crashes and burns purely on the loving name

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Definitely a bold naming choice lol

Edit: nm, thinking of Stormfront

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Stormgate is such a crumbly fast food burger that I didn't even know it existed until a few weeks ago, I'm 100% it's targeted demographic as I love bw/sc2, and what little I saw was such a huge turnoff. Forgettable visual design, and boring units that are based around high-hp blobbing. It's like WoW met WC3, insipid.

I will be goddamn shocked if that thing makes any lasting waves.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Definitely a bold naming choice lol

Edit: nm, thinking of Stormfront

It's danger close to it. I'd still call it pretty bold given how close to the mark it lands.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I really wish they would make a Dungeon Keeper but Really Good This Time. The Dungeons franchise is annoying as hell, the humor is grating. War for the Overworld does it better, but it's still the same lovely DK combat.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
There was an Apple dealer in a shopping centre in Inverness called Stormfront for a while. AFAIK, it's still there.

Edit: it rebranded just under 2 years ago.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

why has no one made a good cannon fodder clone? you could probably even roguelike that poo poo up and do procedural level gen and all that poo poo devs love now

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
the meteorologist on the local news keeps talking about stormfronts. loving chuds have gotten too bold

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

There was an Apple dealer in a shopping centre in Inverness called Stormfront for a while. AFAIK, it's still there.

Edit: it rebranded just under 2 years ago.

What they just wanted to name themselves after that The Boys hero. What's wrong with that?

One of the many many problems with Nazis is they loving love putting in references to Nazi poo poo into things and then acting innocent that that is what they are doing when someone calls them out on it. Is this a case of that? *shrugs* Stormgate reads as generic fantasy to me.

MSPain posted:

the meteorologist on the local news keeps talking about stormfronts. loving chuds have gotten too bold

Swastikas are an important religious symbol how dare you suggest I'm a Nazi! Context matters and mocking somebody for being like "eh I don't know about that" is kind of poo poo.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 15, 2024

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
this isn't the thread for this discussion but you can't just stop using normal-rear end words because racist idiots have used them. in fact, it seems critical to not let racist idiots annex large swathes of language and culture without resistance

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lol they tried to claim "okay" at some point and lmao gently caress off

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I don't think the developers of stormgate are nazis. I just think of nazis when I hear their product name, which, uh, is not an association you typically want in a consumer.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Bring back Battle Realms I say!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

MSPain posted:

this isn't the thread for this discussion but you can't just stop using normal-rear end words because racist idiots have used them. in fact, it seems critical to not let racist idiots annex large swathes of language and culture without resistance

Lol you sure as gently caress can stop/be more careful about using words when the meaning shifts to "also I might be signalling I'm a Nazi". They want to be able to give their not so secret handshakes to one another all while going LOL IT'S JUST AN OKAY SYMBOL YOU STUPID WEIRDO!

I don't think Stormgate is this, but I don't think mocking those who do accomplishes anything positive.

Edit: Besides it's not even that but "ehhhhhhhhhhh". I didn't like Glorious PC Gaming Race (gaming accessories) now Glorious, and Skypad's logo has lightning bolts that make me think SS (good mouse pad though, I like fast surfaces and it does come in a text logo version).

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 15, 2024

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

why has no one made a good cannon fodder clone? you could probably even roguelike that poo poo up and do procedural level gen and all that poo poo devs love now

Off the top of my head:

Jools, Jops, CJ, Bomber, Chris, Ubik, Stan, Brains, Goofy, Norris, Toilet... thats as many as I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Lies of Pete Molyneux