Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Decon posted:

On the other hand, Americans are loving dumb and they'll tolerate nearly any thought or opinion so long as it doesn't threaten corporations' bottom line and isn't racial slur riddled (and even then the jury is out). Your "drunk racist uncle" is just an an annoyance, but anyone that thinks maybe Walmart should pay taxes is an active threat to the nation.

Eh, corporations are perfectly happy to sell you Eat The Rich T-shirts when they're comfortable that nothing will get done about it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

PhazonLink posted:

you know even if it most likely helps Rs lose, I dont like that people just use this as a shortcut to thinking who/what to vote for.

18% of a demographic that tends to skew young isn't too bad. Lots of kids who haven't yet formed their own beliefs vote based on what an authority figure says or tells them. Swift is as good a choice as what their parents grumble about at the dinner table.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Clarste posted:

Eh, corporations are perfectly happy to sell you Eat The Rich T-shirts when they're comfortable that nothing will get done about it anyway.
Jon Stewart very accurately both-sidesing how hosed it is that we as people just let Trump vs. Biden II happen is a great example of how paying people to express dissent is good for our oligarchs because it allows people to feel frustrated, heard and valid without affecting any actual change

(if primary voters could get it through their thick loving skulls that the purpose of a primary is to vote for who you actually like Biden would be out pretty fast, now and four years ago)

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Feb 15, 2024

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Subjunctive posted:

I think it’s important to note that the FBI did not do that in order to have those people make leftist movements more successful, exactly.

I understand that.

EDIT

Follow up

1 in 3 Republicans believes baseless Taylor Swift election conspiracy theory, poll finds

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/14/media/taylor-swift-election-conspiracy-theory-poll/index.html

quote:

About one-third of Republicans say they believe Taylor Swift is involved in a covert government effort to help Joe Biden win the 2024 presidential election, a poll published Wednesday from Monmouth University found.

The absurd and baseless conspiracy theory in question, which was popularized in right-wing media ahead of Super Bowl LVIII, alleges Swift’s relationship with Kansas City Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce was fabricated by the government as part of a sprawling psychological operations plot. The goal of the purported plot is that the Chiefs’ victory on Sunday would present Swift with an even larger pulpit from which to endorse Biden, swinging the 2024 presidential election in his favor.

While the pop superstar endorsed Biden ahead of the 2020 election and has encouraged her fans to vote in recent years, there is no factual evidence to support the conspiracy theory that has quickly moved from the fringe into the public discourse.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 15, 2024

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

The Islamic Shock posted:

Jon Stewart very accurately both-sidesing how hosed it is that we as people just let Trump vs. Biden II happen is a great example of how paying people to express dissent is good for our oligarchs because it allows people to feel frustrated, heard and valid without affecting any actual change

(if primary voters could get it through their thick loving skulls that the purpose of a primary is to vote for who you actually like Biden would be out pretty fast, now and four years ago)

The primary is useless when the party suppresses any challengers

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

I understand that.

EDIT

Follow up

1 in 3 Republicans believes baseless Taylor Swift election conspiracy theory, poll finds

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/14/media/taylor-swift-election-conspiracy-theory-poll/index.html

I have friends that continue to go down this "Deep State" rabbit hole and its pointless to argue, best we have found is to just try and get them to explain how they think it all operates and hope they catch on to their own dissonance and contradictions when it starts to become obvious it doesn't make any sense. Unfortunately within a week it seems they've picked up some new RWM hot take and the cycle continues. Best I can do for my own mental health now I think is try and stay off the internet.

RadioDog fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 15, 2024

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

...! posted:

lol Fox News recently asked Blackburn what she'd do if Taylor endorsed her opponent again this time. Blackburn responded with the most pathetic answer basically sucking up to Taylor. The Fox News people clearly thought she would attack Taylor if asked so they kept rewording the question and asking her again. Her answers got more and more pathetic, basically begging Taylor not to do it.

She's scared as gently caress of Taylor.

I mean, it's still Tennessee. Unless Swift uses her billions to start relocating left-wing voters en masse to the state, it'll be a long, long time before a Dem ousts anyone in a statewide election. (I think the last time was, what, the 1996 presidential election?)

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

BiggerBoat posted:

I understand that.

EDIT

Follow up

As also mentioned above it seems like the super obvious counter to this is go "that's impressive, how'd they pull that one off" and make sure to let them know why the insane poo poo coming out of their mouth is insane poo poo in the most intuitive, easy-to-understand way possible

Not that they'd think of this but what kind of Radical Leftist Democrat is Joe Biden if he rigged the game in favor of a team named the Kansas City Chiefs

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I didn’t think Tucker could be any more pathetic, but this is just unbelievably sad. And all while daddy Putin dunks on him.

https://twitter.com/ronfilipkowski/status/1758115980759253306?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

The Islamic Shock posted:

As also mentioned above it seems like the super obvious counter to this is go "that's impressive, how'd they pull that one off" and make sure to let them know why the insane poo poo coming out of their mouth is insane poo poo in the most intuitive, easy-to-understand way possible

Not that they'd think of this but what kind of Radical Leftist Democrat is Joe Biden if he rigged the game in favor of a team named the Kansas City Chiefs

Trying to reason people out of positions they used emotions to get themselves in to never works though. At best, AT BEST, you'll get them to concede one specific sub-point of minutia tucked away in a corner of the conversation they don't actually care about while maintaining the same emotional core of their beliefs. That will evaporate in a puff of anger and dopamine when they go back to whatever well of hatred propaganda they're drawing from that reinforces their desire to hate whoever it is they hated in the first place.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Anno posted:

I didn’t think Tucker could be any more pathetic, but this is just unbelievably sad. And all while daddy Putin dunks on him.

https://twitter.com/ronfilipkowski/status/1758115980759253306?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

This is possibly a direct reference to when Boris Yeltsin visited a grocery store near Houston, TX in 1989. He was there visiting NASA and a conversation was had about seeing how everyday people lived - given his experiences in the Soviet Union and the politburo vs. the ordinary citizens, his handlers took him to the nearest Randall's.

He was surprised by the experience, in the best way possible.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Clarste posted:

Corporations are happy to sell anything, but in my personal experience individual Americans, even the "left leaning" ones, will trend towards anger at your "eat the rich" t shirt from Amazon.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
tried eating the rich once but found it to fatty and all the money they stuffed their pockets with added a weird aftertaste

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Idk where Tucker is but assuming he’s hitting rich bits of Moscow or Piter while being rich I don’t doubt he’s having a better time than what you would in an average american city.

My german bff loves NYC and NOLA and constantly complains about her small town in the former DDR. However she is smart enough to realize that being a tourist to touristy places is not representative of being an american in Wichita, Kansas

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He’s purposely ignoring the fact that he is shopping with dollars and is not a Russian citizen

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

gift shopping in the Emperor's Crystal Palace while your handlers cover your bills and saying "man, they got it so much better here in the Imperial Kingdom of Misery"

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

FlamingLiberal posted:

He’s purposely ignoring the fact that he is shopping with dollars and is not a Russian citizen

It seems like he's purposely ignoring any shopping at all and just standing at the front of the store in a spot where, conveniently, we can't see any of the great products or bargains he's talking about.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
My mom used to work with people from Brno and when they came to the US for business they spent 3 hours in a Walmart because they thought it was amazing to have a store with so much stuff.

The average-case shopping experience in the US is absurdly good compared to just about anywhere else, except for the part where you need a car.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 15, 2024

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OneEightHundred posted:

My mom used to work with people from Brno and when they came to the US for business they spent 3 hours in a Walmart because they thought it was amazing to have a store with so much stuff.

The average-case shopping experience in the US is absurdly good compared to just about anywhere else, except for the part where you need a car.
Lol when was that, in the 80s? :D

Nowadays there are huge supermarkets everywhere that aren't super different from Walmart. You even need a car to get to some of them.

E.
I don't know about russia but in Ukraine you'd have regular supermarkets that have also great selections of fresh food and cakes and bread that isn't poo poo. Which is in pretty stark contrast compared to the boring stuff most of western europe seems to get. Plus the basic stuff must look completely free to a rich gently caress like tucks

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 15, 2024

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

bird food bathtub posted:

Trying to reason people out of positions they used emotions to get themselves in to never works though. At best, AT BEST, you'll get them to concede one specific sub-point of minutia tucked away in a corner of the conversation they don't actually care about while maintaining the same emotional core of their beliefs. That will evaporate in a puff of anger and dopamine when they go back to whatever well of hatred propaganda they're drawing from that reinforces their desire to hate whoever it is they hated in the first place.
At best you get them to shut the gently caress up about that around you. They won't remember why, or probably that, they are wrong, they'll just know they didn't enjoy it.

World Famous W posted:

tried eating the rich once but found it to fatty and all the money they stuffed their pockets with added a weird aftertaste
The rich get to be functional drug addicts, gotta find those ones

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 15, 2024

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
to be honest, i don't need as much choice in the supermarket as offered. 20 different brands of the same poo poo, the store brand likely coming from the same source

insert burns in the grocery store gif here

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

World Famous W posted:

to be honest, i don't need as much choice in the supermarket as offered. 20 different brands of the same poo poo, the store brand likely coming from the same source

insert burns in the grocery store gif here

When I was a kid we had 4 flavors of gum

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

mobby_6kl posted:

Lol when was that, in the 80s? :D

Nowadays there are huge supermarkets everywhere that aren't super different from Walmart. You even need a car to get to some of them.

E.
I don't know about russia but in Ukraine you'd have regular supermarkets that have also great selections of fresh food and cakes and bread that isn't poo poo. Which is in pretty stark contrast compared to the boring stuff most of western europe seems to get. Plus the basic stuff must look completely free to a rich gently caress like tucks

Yeah I do know about Russia and it’s pretty loving dire compared to anywhere in the US, Canada, or EU that I’ve been if you aren’t in one of the rich bits, which are growing smaller and more elite by the day

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

xeria posted:

I mean, it's still Tennessee. Unless Swift uses her billions to start relocating left-wing voters en masse to the state, it'll be a long, long time before a Dem ousts anyone in a statewide election. (I think the last time was, what, the 1996 presidential election?)

And yet she was clearly terrified anyway. Considering how Marsha tends to go for the throat of literally anyone who thinks even slightly differently than she does (she's one of the most evil fucks in Congress; look at her attacking Justice Jackson during her confirmation hearing for just one of many good examples), her obsequiousness toward Taylor is pretty telling. She must have seen that fan poll.

That's the power of Taylor Swift.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1758246226447737249

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woDbst5LJrU

OgNar fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 16, 2024

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Imagine that
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1758210392298279384?t=Jqw07X6zcgI9c9b_QflS6A&s=19

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Is this the same "damning witness" who didn't show up for his scheduled testimony because was a federal fugitive who'd fled overseas for several years, causing the FBI's ears to perk up when the Republicans announced he'd be in the country to testify?

Afterwards, this naturally caused all the Republicans to go on Fox News and yell "It sure is convenient that Joe Biden's FBI announced that they'd be arresting our star witness right before he was scheduled to testify about his son! Corruption!" Never mind that the FBI had been actively hunting for the guy for years. In fact, I'm pretty sure Trump was President when the guy was charged.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
So...republicans have memory holed reagan entirely I guess and are now all in on Russia is cool and good while Ronnie spins in his grave? I'd posit that most of them might be too young to know about Reagan but that doesn't check out either. I guess it's just down to a basic (misunderstood) understanding that RR was a conservative hero without knowing the first thing about anything he said, did or even stood for and now - since they have a new, modern nominee for Mt. Rushmore in Trump - they have to like and admire Putin/Russia like he does.

Come to think of it, I was pretty young at the time but all this is making me wonder how much republicans in the 80's really understood Reagan in the first place beyond "economy better now because Carter gone" but surely at least half of the GOP base has some basic sense of the Cold War and a few might have learned about the nuclear threat before that.

But god drat these people don't seem to really understand anything beyond flags, bibles and guns are good. Also money.

Which one can use to buy more guns, flags and bibles.

So simple.

USA USA USA

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

BiggerBoat posted:

So...republicans have memory holed reagan entirely I guess and are now all in on Russia is cool and good while Ronnie spins in his grave? I'd posit that most of them might be too young to know about Reagan but that doesn't check out either. I guess it's just down to a basic (misunderstood) understanding that RR was a conservative hero without knowing the first thing about anything he said, did or even stood for and now - since they have a new, modern nominee for Mt. Rushmore in Trump - they have to like and admire Putin/Russia like he does.

Come to think of it, I was pretty young at the time but all this is making me wonder how much republicans in the 80's really understood Reagan in the first place beyond "economy better now because Carter gone" but surely at least half of the GOP base has some basic sense of the Cold War and a few might have learned about the nuclear threat before that.

But god drat these people don't seem to really understand anything beyond flags, bibles and guns are good. Also money.

So simple.

USA USA USA
I think Reagan finally got so liberal by the window shifting that they can't really use him any more in general. I remind these fucks about Reagan and asylum whenever it's relevant. Also
https://www.theonion.com/embarrassed-republicans-admit-theyve-been-thinking-of-e-1819572284

They never had a clue anyway

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Anno posted:

This is, straight up, part of their state messaging playbook, a product of having never recovered from inverse messaging toward the end of the cold war. If it seems ludicrous, that's fine- it's intended for domestic consumption.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

So simple.

USA USA USA

For all the things that the right is incoherent about, cold warrior conservatives always focused on hating Russia because they were communists and the deification of Reagan really kicked in during the decade-long victory lap over the fall of the Soviet Union when they could say their boy Ronnie was the one who did it when all those Democrats failed to contain communism. Embracing their transition to a "capitalist democracy" made sense, even and especially when the words are bare cover for an authoritarian ethnostate with rigged elections and markets captured by oligarchs. Because boy is it a right-wing one. For them, Putin's Russia is Reagan's greatest victory, the ultimate reversal of Soviet communism. They don't even think of Putin, like Stalin, thinking himself as basically heir to the tsars.

I mean, some of them like Tucker go full-on Russian toady, but for the most part even the pro-Russian right still like facing off against Russia as a rival power when like Putin talks about how Alaska should be Russian again or when their planes buzz ours in international waters or something. They don't care about Ukraine since it was part of Russia when they were young anyway, who cares. They see him as an ally in the War on Woke, and think the US could benefit from replicating his ideas of implementing social conservatism and nationalist jingoism. The whole thing is a lot like the relationship of the American right to Hitler before Pearl Harbor: they didn't want to see the US directly Germanized (except for the German-American Bund anyway) or subservient to foreign power, they just thought we needed Hitler's kind of white nationalist thinking here at home. Wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross, as the saying went. And saw him as less of a threat then FDR.

A lot of it's real dumb to be sure, but it's way less weird than the part of the left that spent ages stanning for a right-wing capitalist ethnostate because they still venerate Lenin's tomb :ussr: and talk poo poo about the west.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Oooh, SNAP

https://twitter.com/tomaskenn/status/1758167701506171113

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
It happened on my 9th birthday, but the way I understand it, under Reagan, there was an op designed to convince everyone on either side of the Berlin Wall that the Wall will no longer be guarded or some such, creating a flash mob on either side of the wall that soldiers would not fire upon.

And it worked, and then an angry mob descended on the KGB HQ, and the scrawny nerd inside barricaded the doors, burned all the documents, slinked out the door pretending to be a civilian hostage being released by the big bad mean James Bond type agents, then he had his caterer conspire with Bannon to get Trump elected.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Please read an actual history book about the ending stage of the cold war instead of whatever that semi word salad is.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I recommend this refresher:

https://youtu.be/xsKQtBCjmsM

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Killer robot posted:

A lot of it's real dumb to be sure, but it's way less weird than the part of the left that spent ages stanning for a right-wing capitalist ethnostate because they still venerate Lenin's tomb :ussr: and talk poo poo about the west.

So 1924*-present or we pretending that the USSR wasn’t Russian Empire, but flag red? Bein’ in Astana and raising my kids here I’ve kinda got to to point out how nobody wanted to be reconquered by Russia But Nice We Swear or the soviets being the ones who colonized and genocided this country or how the USSR itself constantly called itself Soviet Russia or Great Russia

*1921 but that was pre-mummy-Lenin

Lenin and Stalin woulda fuckin loved Putin is what I’m saying

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah I do know about Russia and it’s pretty loving dire compared to anywhere in the US, Canada, or EU that I’ve been if you aren’t in one of the rich bits, which are growing smaller and more elite by the day

Oh no doubt poo poo sucks in buttfuck Siberia but I'm sure tuck didn't go there.

Also there's now a community note on that post pointing out that over 60% of russian population spends more than half of their income on food. Oops. Also the average income of $700 is certainly skewed by bougie muscovites.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Josef bugman posted:

Please read an actual history book about the ending stage of the cold war instead of whatever that semi word salad is.

Seriously everyone knows it was Reagan himself who one day on a whim took a flight to Germany, walked up to the wall with a boombox blasting "born in the USA" on his solder and a sledgehammer in his hand and dismantled the entire wall single handedly, and thus defeating communism forever.

Of course he was so deep into dementia at that stage he thought he was dismantling a hospital treating AIDS patients.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

So 1924*-present or we pretending that the USSR wasn’t Russian Empire, but flag red? Bein’ in Astana and raising my kids here I’ve kinda got to to point out how nobody wanted to be reconquered by Russia But Nice We Swear or the soviets being the ones who colonized and genocided this country or how the USSR itself constantly called itself Soviet Russia or Great Russia

*1921 but that was pre-mummy-Lenin

Lenin and Stalin woulda fuckin loved Putin is what I’m saying

I won't dispute that, but I mean during the cold war you can squint and see why a Western leftist might have thought the Soviet Union was a socialist ally against capitalism and imperialism provided they didn't look deep and graded on a curve. But now any pretense of that is pulled away and Russia openly revels in being the imperialist capitalist state the socialists all warned us was the inevitable fate of the west. Even the brand of shallow-rear end leftist that just craves the aesthetic of red touching yellow on a flag no longer has a reason to support Russia, but some continue the ritual out of ancestral memory.

The right has plenty of poo poo that stupid and there are way more Trump-worshipping Christians than Putin-defending leftists for example, I just mean that it's perfectly consistent for an American conservative to hate the 1980s Soviet Union that (ever so performatively) spit on capitalism, right-wing ethnonationalism, and Christianity while embracing the 2020s Russian Federation that openly loves all those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Soviet Union was not only socialist but it was the greatest force for decolonization and anti-imperialism in history outside of the PRC.