Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Skios posted:

Chip Bok

A wealthy, powerful man who acts purely in his own self-interests and may yet effectively be king is being executed and this is a bad thing. A literal right-wing cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Amazing.

Adam Zyglis

Clay Bennett

It says "COVID-19 Booster Vaccine".

Dave Whamond

David Horsey

David Horsey posted:

Today’s teenagers live in a world of bullying, vicious gossip, sexual harassment, commercial exploitation, self-harm and alienation — a world they cannot escape because it exists in the cellphones and computers that are the most intimate objects in their lives.

Parents have plenty of cause to be alarmed. Social media, for Gen Z, might be better characterized as anti-social media. The anonymity provided by internet platforms allows the worst human impulses to be exercised without penalty and with a powerful reach unavailable to past generations. And those platforms, such as Meta, X and TikTok, are designed to be addictive and nearly irresistible to a young person’s developing brain.

Last month, the Senate Judiciary Committee heard testimony from the CEOs of major social media companies. Senators took turns raking the tech titans over the coals for their failure to show concern for the children who are hooked on their extremely lucrative products.

“They’re responsible for many of the dangers our children face online,” committee Chairman Dick Durbin said in his opening remarks. “Their design choices, their failures to adequately invest in trust and safety, their constant pursuit of engagement and profit over basic safety have all put our kids and grandkids at risk.”

Meta boss Mark Zuckerberg claimed his company is making a serious effort to address the problem, but he was contradicted by Arturo Béjar, a former engineering director at Meta.

“They know how much harm teens are experiencing, yet they won’t commit to reducing it, and most importantly to be transparent about it,” Béjar said. “They have the infrastructure to do it, the research, the people, it is a matter of prioritization.”

The internet has opened up the biggest Pandora’s box in human history. All the benefits it has provided may well be outweighed by the deep injuries that have been done to society. International criminals and rogue regimes have been empowered, political extremists have been given a huge megaphone, the newspaper industry has been decimated and, as a result of all of those factors, democracy is imperiled.

Most of the destruction is probably irreversible, but there may still be a chance to save our children from being lost down the alluring dark hole of the online world if political leaders take effective action that forces tech billionaires to undo the worst that they have done and begin to develop a conscience.

David M. Hitch

Ed Gamble

Jack Ohman

Jeff Danziger

Jeff Stahler

Jimmy Margulies

John Branch

Kevin "KAL" Kallaugher

Lee Judge

Lisa Benson

Mike Smith

Phil Hands

Rivers

Robert (R.J.) Matson

Ward Sutton

Yaakov Kirschen (Dry Bones)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Kellies Nomination: The Circus Is In Town

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
dammit, new orleans ain't the only of us in the usa that do mardi gras, hell they weren't even the first!

as a mobilian im legally obligated to complain about this

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Sutton continues to be fantastic at caricature; I should study his method sometime.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

How old is Kirschen anyway? I couldn't find it on his Wikipedia page but I did find this:

Wikipedia posted:

Kirschen won the Israeli Museum of Caricature and Comics' Golden Pencil Award for his work.
Did literally nobody else enter the contest?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

How old is Kirschen anyway?

85-86. (He was born in 1938.)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

But...he's a bad and lazy artist. The people and objects in his cartoons are usually just collections of unsteadily drawn spheres mashed together. He never uses compelling visual imagery, there are no metaphors, and there is no subtlety in the messaging or anything else he does. 80% of his work involves nothing more than a poorly drawn mouthpiece directly facing the camera while plainly stating their support for Palestinian genocide. I refuse to believe that he has ever won any sort of award relating to cartooning

e: if he is really that ancient, maybe he used to be better.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

But...he's a bad and lazy artist. The people and objects in his cartoons are usually just collections of unsteadily drawn spheres mashed together. He never uses compelling visual imagery, there are no metaphors, and there is no subtlety in the messaging or anything else he does. 80% of his work involves nothing more than a poorly drawn mouthpiece directly facing the camera while plainly stating their support for Palestinian genocide. I refuse to believe that he has ever won any sort of award relating to cartooning

Yeah that's the thing, in the time this thread has existed he's never been a good artist regardless of his views.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I feel like a couple years back someone unearthed some early career Kirschen and it was informative what was different and what was completely unchanged.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Nah we’ve pulled cartoons from the 70s and he’s always drawn like a five-year-old.

I assume he knew someone at the paper and just became a legacy artist. His aging, murderhungry audience would probably riot if he was replaced.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
A true pioneer of those clowns in congress storytelling.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Contrast this with early Payne where it becomes obvious that it was a choice made in the interest of speed above all else.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

What's that you say? Post a bunch of really old Kirschen cartoons? Can do!

A mail happened.

This one is about Henry Kissinger. (Kirschen did not like him in 1975.)

[trombone]

[snare drums]

(timged because it's huge)

[laugh track]

So, yeah, he was never good at art or telling jokes.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Doomykins posted:

A true pioneer of those clowns in congress storytelling.
Those badchens in Knesset!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Contrast this with early Payne where it becomes obvious that it was a choice made in the interest of speed above all else.

I've never seen early Payne, but I don't think he is a horrible artist even now. He has his signature style of snooty, pointy-nosed people, that I would guess became overly stylized and exaggerated with time, but I wouldn't mistake a Payne cartoon for anything else. Just my assessment as someone who has no background in art whatsoever. He also attempts to be clever in his observations, despite usually failing.

Kirschen is just on a different level from almost everyone else in this thread, literal children could make better cartoons than most of the ones I've seen from him. It's baffling that his work was apparently published at some point (and still is?).

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

I've never seen early Payne, but I don't think he is a horrible artist even now. He has his signature style of snooty, pointy-nosed people, that I would guess became overly stylized and exaggerated with time, but I wouldn't mistake a Payne cartoon for anything else. Just my assessment as someone who has no background in art whatsoever. He also attempts to be clever in his observations, despite usually failing.

Kirschen is just on a different level from almost everyone else in this thread, literal children could make better cartoons than most of the ones I've seen from him. It's baffling that his work was apparently published at some point (and still is?).

Yeah it's mostly been for the Jerusalem Post, a right wing English language newspaper for people just like Kirschen who moved from the US or other English speaking countries and drank the Flavor-Aid. But I still can't believe they couldn't have found someone more talented. And I say this as someone who can barely draw a stick figure.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Most newspaper comic publishing is done entirely by inertia and by virtue of finding a reliable hack who doesn't cost too much, political or not. I'd be surprised if any editing figure looks at his work in the first place past loading it onto the paper template.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

One notable change for Kirschen is that the text of his comics, the complexity, has gotten even simpler and, well, dumber. The historic examples above at least include attempts at sequential jokes.

Payne is notable because he started with a completely different, much more detail and ink-heavy style mixed with caricature that was common of the period and now mostly persists in Ramirez’s work (though without the same level of crosshatching). Payne was and probably is a conventionally skilled illustrator in that regard. From memory I think we decided one reason for the change is Payne is (or was) also a full time automotive journalist.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

One notable change for Kirschen is that the text of his comics, the complexity, has gotten even simpler and, well, dumber. The historic examples above at least include attempts at sequential jokes.

Payne is notable because he started with a completely different, much more detail and ink-heavy style mixed with caricature that was common of the period and now mostly persists in Ramirez’s work (though without the same level of crosshatching). Payne was and probably is a conventionally skilled illustrator in that regard. From memory I think we decided one reason for the change is Payne is (or was) also a full time automotive journalist.

Kinda like Delonas whose grotesque cartoons were a totally stylistic choice (though he put way more effort into them than Kirschen) and was actually a pretty good painter.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

As an aside, if anyone thought the mainstream media was liberal, the Washington Post runs way more Ramirez cartoons than Telnaes.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

https://x.com/KartoonistKelly/status/1757817356015841315?s=20
A Kelly Klassic from 2016

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Whenever I find out a political cartoonist is much more artistically capable than I thought, I like to imagine they’re sandbagging it because they’re trying to solve serial killings in their off time.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Adam Zyglis' version of the GOP elephant haunts my dreams and I kinda wish he would put less effort in there.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Byzantine posted:

Adam Zyglis' version of the GOP elephant haunts my dreams and I kinda wish he would put less effort in there.

Have you imagined what it would sound like yet? That made it a lot worse for me.

No lips so it’s just gonna be a breathy, wet rasp of teeth and tongue.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Nenonen posted:

It's amazing that the art quality matches so closely the original, if it was just monochrome lineart then no one would believe that the Yaakov character is a real Kirschen

I wanted to make this all monochrome, but none of my smartphone apps give me a paintbucket tool.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

:patriot:Tom the Dancing Bug by Ruben Bolling :patriot:

US liberals and leftist could actually take a hint from this.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

idonotlikepeas posted:

Ed Gamble

Ward Sutton

The Gamble's about that made-up opposite-of-reality poo poo that got jumped on immediately before the police account being full of poo poo came out, right?

About the Sutton: Gonzales v. Raich, the case I use as an example of this
The same species of plant grown by the founding fathers, not for sale, everything from the dirt up procured inside the same state, is "Commerce between the several states" and thus can be illegal under the CSA just as those founders intended. The reason given because the Court saying otherwise would have far-reaching consequences for actual interstate commerce. The reason they did the marihuana tax stamp law instead of an outright ban in the first drat place is they didn't think the latter would pass judicial review, very much like how Texas did the abortion ban via lawsuit thing. So yes they have a history of doing whatever the gently caress they want.

(bonus fact: thanks to US v. Leary weed was very much legal for a brief period of time in Alaska in 1969)

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Feb 15, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

axolotl farmer posted:

:patriot:Tom the Dancing Bug by Ruben Bolling :patriot:

US liberals and leftist could actually take a hint from this.

Hmm, not the best Bolling in my opinion, but no one can knock 'em out of the park (like Bobson Dugnutt would) every single time.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Andy Marlette

Chip Bok

The fire alarm incident was almost six months ago, and on top of that, the congressman at the time didn't even pull the alarm. He just tried to open a door to the outside that he didn't know was wired to the fire alarm system.

Chris Britt

Gary Varvel

Michael Ramirez

Mike Luckovich

Tom Stiglich

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Did the guy running Ramirez’s paper go full nevertrump?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

More than most political cartoonists, at least

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Did the guy running Ramirez’s paper go full nevertrump?

Pretty sure Ramirez has always been a nevertrumper.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Technowolf posted:

Pretty sure Ramirez has always been a nevertrumper.

Yeah, it's one of his few even remotely redeeming qualities. He's also been pro-vaccination since before the pandemic, having failed to get the notification it's now the orthodox GOP stance.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
It is comforting to see that Ramirez has still, to this day, never looked up how a battleship actually looks.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

"Hmmm, the meter should have "True" on the right and "False" on the left but I've already drawn Jean-Pierre. Oh well."

Hell, there's enough space behind her to fit the word false there... I'm always in awe of the sheer laziness of political cartoonists.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
False is the centerline, the pegs are Fact and Alternative Fact

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kikas posted:

It is comforting to see that Ramirez has still, to this day, never looked up how a battleship actually looks.

That’s actually not a bad cartoon of a Ticonderoga class cruiser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kikas posted:

Eh, it's a reasonable cartoony version of a Ticonderoga class missile cruiser.