Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
E: 247 is the DB rail classification for the noble class 66, the lynchpin of the rail freight network and a sexy beast that makes absolutely no concessions to aerodynamics. Because 3250 horses under the cowling allows you to give absolutely 0 shits about drag.

Tesseraction posted:

Oh right, yeah. Basically I've been looking at options for dealing with an icy windshield as the previous few times has been a coin flip of mild annoyance in the morning to "gently caress I'M GOING TO BE LATE" and I was wondering if I could make the latter more like the former without making the neighborhood a zone rouge in my wake.
Get a good heavy duty carrier bag (foreign, non-woke ones are best) and fill it with warm water, then smear that over the windscreen like you're teabagging it. It's more efficient than trying to pour warm water over. Chemical antifreezes lower the melting point of the ice on the outside, but that phase change takes energy and if you're not careful that just makes the damp air inside the car freeze on the inside of the windscreen.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

According to people who've lived in our village for years, our local station was closed down in the 60s (ironically just as a ton of new housing was built), and every politician since has claimed that reopening it has been a key priority.
Our latest one (tory) is claiming that a private developer wants to build it, so doubtless this is another scam the government is either going to be renting back at an exorbitant cost, or maybe just a scammer wants to get paid millions to attend a bunch of planning meetings before concluding in a few years (once the money runs out) that it's sadly not possible.
Yes we're trying this in Leeds at the moment and it's an absolute loving nightmare. The only thing that keeps Network Rail in line is having to pay for what they ask for. Any system where the provider, beneficiary and payer are all separate parties (e.g. American healthcare) tends to be a morass of conflicting priorities.

BalloonFish posted:

There was a chap from the Resolution Foundation on the radio a bit earlier, discussing the recession news. He talked about the long-term factors that have weighed down the UK economy for nearly two decades and he was asked 'what the government - any government - should do to solve them. His reply was all the usual stuff
All I could think of was that however sensible and obvious this may be, any politician actually proposing any of this stuff would get absolutely monstered as a dangerous communist loon.

It's worth noting here that Torsten Bell is the Resolution Foundation, or at least the controlling mind. He's doing media relations sock-puppeting. Clicking the link on the tweet takes you to a nice report that explains how good things need to go up and bad things need to go down, which is all very nice, but it's technical dial-tweaking of tax and investment rates that does nothing to fix the fact that all main political parties have realised a better way to get votes is promising a face for every jackboot to stomp on.

Endjinneer fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Nuclear Spoon posted:

if you're on UC you can get a free eye test

Ah. That's where I was going with that. Surprisingly sound.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Tesseraction posted:

Basically I've been looking at options for dealing with an icy windshield

life hack: leave an old towel on your windscreen overnight and it won't frost up, a minute or so to demist and off you go. maybe not ideal if you park on the street however if your area is plagued by towel bandits

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

You may awake to discover a German sunbathing on your windscreen.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Nuclear Spoon posted:

that's really useful actually to know actually, thanks! it turns out that nhs employers explicitly say they provide one, gotta explore that at work tomorrow

https://www.nhsemployers.org/jobs/employee-benefits

Should add the caveat that it's extremely rare to get that £50 towards glasses designated only for use with screens. I assume it's more for addressing eye conditions / sensory processing issue caused by screens than for getting everyday specs.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Endjinneer posted:

Get a good heavy duty carrier bag (foreign, non-woke ones are best) and fill it with warm water, then smear that over the windscreen like you're teabagging it. It's more efficient than trying to pour warm water over. Chemical antifreezes lower the melting point of the ice on the outside, but that phase change takes energy and if you're not careful that just makes the damp air inside the car freeze on the inside of the windscreen.

Thanks for the tip, but does this not run the risk of the windscreen shattering unless the water's tepid?

kecske posted:

life hack: leave an old towel on your windscreen overnight and it won't frost up, a minute or so to demist and off you go. maybe not ideal if you park on the street however if your area is plagued by towel bandits

Well if I was gonna do this I'd do the £20 sheets you can buy and secure in place by closing their little flaps in the doors.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Are you in Scotland? Where's still freezing? It's been pretty mild round here.

Surprised your little Toyota or whatever it is can't precondition the cabin sufficiently to prevent a frozen windscreen. Thought it was new.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Tesseraction posted:

Thanks for the tip, but does this not run the risk of the windscreen shattering unless the water's tepid?

It seems to work OK even with not very hot water cause you can use the bag to hold it in place for several seconds, whereas if you tip it on the water's gone more or less instantly.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NotJustANumber99 posted:

How much job seeking are you required to do on jobseekers allowance or whatever it is? More than an hour a day? On a computer.

For Universal Credit you are are expected to...I forget if it's 8 hours a day or 7.5 hours a day.

I want whoever came up with that poo poo to have to actually try looking for work 8 hours a day

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Are you in Scotland? Where's still freezing? It's been pretty mild round here.

Surprised your little Toyota or whatever it is can't precondition the cabin sufficiently to prevent a frozen windscreen. Thought it was new.

Right now? It's not, but I was bored at work and remembered I needed to look into it because there was a cold snap over the other side of the pond.

And it's not a new Toyota lol I can't afford a brand new car.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

How much job seeking are you required to do on jobseekers allowance or whatever it is? More than an hour a day? On a computer.
poo poo, last time I checked it was 2 actions, an action being defined as 'a thing that is actively working towards getting you a job' or somesuch with a requirement of how many of those per week had to be job applications.

There was a point in the long distant past where you could run through a whole string of 'read through the requirements for the job,' 'applied for the job,' 'phoned to check if they got my application,' 'phoned to check if I got an interview,' 'went for an interview,' and eventually 'phoned to see if I got the job' and 'called for feedback on why I didn't get the job.'

Now I suspect it's down to whether someone in a call centre has met their refusal quota and can think of a reason it doesn't count.

It's loving brutal now, why do you ask?

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 15, 2024

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Anyone got any experience of using an escrow account in the UK?

We're planning on some essential building work to the roof of our block of flats about £17k, the roofers want a large deposit (£10.5k) which we (the Directors) are a bit reluctant to part with. We have excellent references for them but they're a small family firm.
I was thinking if we paid say 25% to them and the rest of the money over into escrow they could see we have the money but they would only get it in stages.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
They simply won't do the work

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

escrow doesn't work for small firm building work, domestic jobs etc. Knowing that money is there isnt enough as they aren't particularly liquid and need that cash lump upfront to get materials in, pay scaffolders, etc. Big companies have lines of credit and liquidity specifically to front load on construction projects for set up costs etc, something that small companies can't do and will walk away from.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

You're probably right. Just wondering how to convey this to the other directors.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I'll do it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Wow thanks! Erm.... ?
(I haven't read your thread, just got a vibe from here).

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I literally signed up for JSA for the first time in my life yesterday (let's say that my 2024 plan of "quit the horrible under-paid over-worked job with no future to find a better one" has not yet come to full fruition) and my 'Claimant Commitment' meeting is tomorrow. So I can report back with exactly how poo poo the system is now.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Wow thanks! Erm.... ?
(I haven't read your thread, just got a vibe from here).

It'll take 15 years and be wrong.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The last time I had to apply for JSA I managed to get my poo poo together and get another job before seeing a single penny of it, and they rang me about 6 weeks later to tell me that things were finally in motion and were very surprised to hear that I hadn’t just curled up and died in the interim.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

BalloonFish posted:

I literally signed up for JSA for the first time in my life yesterday (let's say that my 2024 plan of "quit the horrible under-paid over-worked job with no future to find a better one" has not yet come to full fruition) and my 'Claimant Commitment' meeting is tomorrow. So I can report back with exactly how poo poo the system is now.

Best wishes to you. :thumbsup:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

As always I document my two experiences with JSA:

right out of uni: "log in your 40 hours of looking for work or we'll sanction you, oval office"

after nearly a decade in work: "oh no don't worry we're sure the right job will come any day now, now if you'll excuse me I need to tell the oval office scheduled after you to spend 40 hours looking for work, have a nice day!"

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Just Another Lurker posted:

Best wishes to you. :thumbsup:

Thanks. While the continual process of putting yourself out there and getting 95% tumbleweed and 5% automated rejection messages is pretty dispiriting, as is the dawning realisation that I'm in the unfortunate situation of being over-qualified for general roles and under-experienced for specific ones, I'm not in any financial or physical risk if this drags on (I have never been the breadwinner in this household...) so I'm not at the mercy of The System as others are.

Tesseraction posted:

As always I document my two experiences
with JSA:

right out of uni: "log in your 40 hours of looking for work or we'll sanction you, oval office"

after nearly a decade in work: "oh no don't worry we're sure the right job will come any day now, now if you'll excuse me I need to tell the oval office scheduled after you to spend 40 hours looking for work, have a nice day!"

Yeah, I've heard similar experiences. The phone call I got from the DWP this morning to confirm details seemed to lean very much towards the later of your experiences in tone. I have 20 years of virtually unbroken employment and an accent that makes everyone assume I'm a rich Tory twat in my favour so let's see...

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I got caught in the restart scheme. You guys who were only told to log 40 hours got it lucky.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Anyone got any experience of using an escrow account in the UK?

We're planning on some essential building work to the roof of our block of flats about £17k, the roofers want a large deposit (£10.5k) which we (the Directors) are a bit reluctant to part with. We have excellent references for them but they're a small family firm.
I was thinking if we paid say 25% to them and the rest of the money over into escrow they could see we have the money but they would only get it in stages.

It's fair to offer to pay for materials up front with a small outfit. If they're too small to be able to work with escrows or cashflow it themselves, they're probably too small to have anything worth going after if they fold at short notice and the money is unrecoverable.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

With anyone small I just say I'll pay for materials myself. And you quote me for your work as you want. It means, for me going and collecting materials but I guess you could organise another way to deal with that.

Had a mate pay a window man upfront recently. top guy very reliable, good reviews. But went bankrupt, the money for her windows material had been spent chasing debts on other peoples windows. No real way to avoid that unless you make sure you pay for whats yours materially upfront.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I did the old Dole thing for years then spent over twenty in actual jobs before voluntary redundancy.

The DWP route sounded much more insane than i remembered so i just retired early.

Need to be a penny pincher for the next decade or so but that might keep me sane. :stare:

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Don't blame the idler who does the odd nixer
Does the odd nixer while drawing the dole
But blame the landlord his car's like a Concorde
And he's charging fierce rent for a string of shitholes

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

What sort of work are you looking for BalloonFish?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

Oh yeah, that's a fun one! Don't know if this is still the case, but it used to be if you worked for more than a certain amount of time and racked up enough National Insurance payments, you got Contribution Based JSA and got treat completely different to the Income Based JSA claimants.

Looking at the government site there doesn't seem to be any sign of contribution based any more.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Endjinneer posted:

It's fair to offer to pay for materials up front with a small outfit. If they're too small to be able to work with escrows or cashflow it themselves, they're probably too small to have anything worth going after if they fold at short notice and the money is unrecoverable.

That's a good idea - if we pay for the materials & maybe have them delivered direct to us.
I'll talk to them tomorrow.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
this is incredible, I'm hooting

https://x.com/GrahameLucas/status/1757945782039097710?s=20

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
proper brexit tackle that

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

forkboy84 posted:

For Universal Credit you are are expected to...I forget if it's 8 hours a day or 7.5 hours a day.

I want whoever came up with that poo poo to have to actually try looking for work 8 hours a day

Yeah, basically you're required to search for the amount of time a full time job would be. So you're expected to be searching for work 30hrs a week.

It's very easy to do and not everything requires "proof".

Eg.
Monday:
8am-9am Checked emails (1hr)
9am-3pm Travelled to town and handed in CVs to shops (6hrs)
4pm-6pm Worked on CV (2hrs)
(Total: 9hrs)

Just mix it up all week.

I guess it depends on how chill your agent is.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
I have heard of a tackle being a bit Brexit but not going in without intention of getting the ball while saying Brexit means Brexit. I guess that’s more a playground thing.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Surely a Brexit tackle is going in hard, completely missing the other player and breaking your own leg?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The brexit tackle is when boris crushed that kid to death by rugby tackling him.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

The brexit tackle is when boris crushed that kid to death by rugby tackling him.

it's this.

Also, I'm watching Ep3 of that Mr Bates vs the Post Office thing (fairly shite, but aggravating nonetheless), and all of a sudden in a Parliamentary committee scene there's a guy who is the absolute loving head off Nadhim Zahawi. I go to IMDB and it turns out... he's playing himself

:dafuq:

Seems pretty bizarre that a sitting MP would play himself in a TV drama for the express purpose of sucking himself off and maybe bolstering his man-of-the-people credentials for another Leadership bid (?).

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

doesnt seem that bizarre?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

doesnt seem that bizarre?

seems pretty bizarre to me. Maybe we see different things as bizarre