Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Tory councillor Atiqul Hoque expelled for alleged antisemitic comments

quote:

A councillor has been kicked out of the Conservative Party over alleged antisemitic remarks, the BBC understands.

The Salisbury Conservative Association said it had received a formal complaint about "offensive and inappropriate comments" by Salisbury mayor Atiqul Hoque on social media and WhatsApp.

The party said it would expel the councillor following an investigation.

I tried to find a screenshot or mention of what he said, but it was probably something damning like "Israel shouldn't genocide"

e: And talking about genocide, these two genocide enablers are trying to pretend that they didn't OK this ethnic cleansing

https://twitter.com/lisanandy/status/1758089750261510322

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Feb 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Formal definition of antisemitism now to be "when a left wing or Muslim councillor says anything" while specifically excluding sincere articles of faith like Jacob Rees-Mogg saying "of course they all killed Christ on purpose, the new Pope is mistaken."

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol:

quote:

An association spokesman said the party was "committed to upholding the values of tolerance, diversity, and respect".

Presumably before further adding TWO GENDERS 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

sebzilla posted:

Otherwise there's nothing but tumbleweed to the left of Labour

Tell me more about this tumbleweed candidate? Sounds like a promising fellow

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Anyone who does not vote in favour of the SNP ceasefire bill should be hounded till the end of their days.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/TorstenBell/status/1758069451012903350

Why won't Corbyn apologise for this?!?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Maugrim posted:

Anyway, hey UKMT, today is your last chance to vote for who will be trustees of the Solidarity Fund that does such fantastic work keeping goons alive because the sixth richest country in the world has maxed out its credit card and just can't afford to!

I voted for Kodos

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I haven't voted in the solidarity fund thing because I'm happy with how it's run and haven't really looked into the candidates but trust them all

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Also kinda surprised no-one has mentioned Steve Wright dying. One of the only radio voices that didn't spike my blood pressure.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I was just disappointed that it wasn't Steven Seagal when I saw the picture with the article

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lololololol

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tesseraction posted:

Also kinda surprised no-one has mentioned Steve Wright dying. One of the only radio voices that didn't spike my blood pressure.

Old DJs never die, they just spin in their graves.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tesseraction posted:

I was exercising my "if you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything" control.

It's impossible for me to have a fair take on Wright because I grew up in a house where he was unpopular. Specifically, my mother hated him because he would keep talking so much. Not just between songs but over the starts & ends of songs. And eventually he started doing his shtick over the middle of them. And I dunno, that sounds absolutely insufferable to me, I listen to the radio to listen to music, if I wanted chat then there's Radio 4 or 5 or various other talk stations. Some of the Radio 6 DJs are bad enough at just going on, loving interviews with actors or other people who have nothing to do with music. Lauren Laverne for example.

I just want to hear music, I don't need that faux-chumminess where the DJ acts like your mate, which I guess is a sort of pre-internet parasocial relationship. Of course I'm also a massive hypocrite because I loved when Adam & Joe were on 6 Music & nothing about that was to do with the music, but they were actually amusing. But man, talking over the tunes should get you punted to an LBC call-in show or something similar, it's rotten.

But I also accept that I'm apparently in the minority on this as Steve Wright was indisputably popular. Might be incomprehensible to me but it still is.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I honestly couldn't mention more than a couple of DJs currently working, let alone historic ones. I can't believe his death even has the cultural relevance to be news.

:iiam:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

It's remarkable how the absolute failure of the economic philosophy of both parties is ignored because it overwhelmingly benefits the rich. Even tying the economic failure to the economic policy is treated as wild eyed lunacy.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

BBC Verify says everything is completely fine... a storm in a teacup

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

forkboy84 posted:

I was exercising my "if you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything" control.

It's impossible for me to have a fair take on Wright because I grew up in a house where he was unpopular. Specifically, my mother hated him because he would keep talking so much. Not just between songs but over the starts & ends of songs.

That was almost certainly something he was told to do. Radio DJ's were told to talk over the beginning and ending to songs so that people wouldn't tape popular songs and were instead encouraged to buy the singles.

It was probably at the behest of his bosses.

I wonder why the economy started doing really badly after 2016. What event could have possibly caused this?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The Question IRL posted:

That was almost certainly something he was told to do. Radio DJ's were told to talk over the beginning and ending to songs so that people wouldn't tape popular songs and were instead encouraged to buy the singles.

I wonder why the economy started doing really badly after 2016. What event could have possibly caused this?

The last ever Land Rover Defender being made presumably.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

In fairness, failing to call the Gospel Oak to Barking line the Goblin is a crime for the ages

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The Question IRL posted:

fuctifino posted:

Why won't Corbyn apologise for this?!?

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Fascism with British Characteristics (ie: ours can't even promise to get the trains running on time)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tigey posted:

Fascism with British Characteristics (ie: ours can't even promise to get the trains running on time)

IIRC the trains never really ran on time under Mussolini, and although it was initially a point of fascist rhetoric it transformed over time into a bitter ironic joke, especially by the time of WW2 when the Italian rail network collapsed.

In the UK you just don't bother building any new rail, and devote all your resources into fining passengers

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

Maugrim posted:

I always end up voting Green, and I will never not vote, but I sure wish that vote did or meant anything.

I was thinking about how I'd vote if we had a STV system. Would I even rank Labour or just leave their box blank? Genuinely would struggle to decide where to put them vs the tories.

I would fill all the boxes so would go: Green > Labour > Lib Dem > Tory going by my constituency options in 2019.

Starbucks fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Feb 15, 2024

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yes the rebrand will cost a few million, but think how much the NHS will save in the long run when all those boomers keel over dead from the news.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

The Question IRL posted:

Me, trying to see how this comment corresponds to any noticeable change on the graph it refers to: :crossarms:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

John Peel managed to avoid that : shrug:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

I honestly couldn't mention more than a couple of DJs currently working, let alone historic ones. I can't believe his death even has the cultural relevance to be news.

:iiam:

He uh, is a current broadcaster. Well, was.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Every time I see a graph like this I get sad/angry at that tantalising little glimpse on on-trend growth in 2009/2010, caused by Gordon 'Spent All The Pounds' Brown and his 'There's No Money Left' Last Labour Government. New Labour were poo poo in a lot of ways, late-era NuLab especially, but Brown had a basically good response to the Great Recession - certainly better than Cameron and The Big Society.

Nice to see the Conservatives being more honest in their response - "we would have sold the naming rights to the private sector! Wouldn't you like to get to Crystal Palace on the Citigroup Line In Associaton With JD Sports?"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

BalloonFish posted:

Every time I see a graph like this I get sad/angry at that tantalising little glimpse on on-trend growth in 2009/2010, caused by Gordon 'Spent All The Pounds' Brown and his 'There's No Money Left' Last Labour Government. New Labour were poo poo in a lot of ways, late-era NuLab especially, but Brown had a basically good response to the Great Recession - certainly better than Cameron and The Big Society.

Literally all the Tories would need to do was nothing and they could have taken credit for saving the economy by stealing Brown's work. But instead they had to loving piledrive the economy into the ground out of hubris and greed.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Nah, there'll be a countermove to rename some of the other lines, so in the interest of fairness we'll also have the enoch powell line, the large immobile gamete line, and we already have the lbc nick ferrari phone line.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

forkboy84 posted:

John Peel managed to avoid that : shrug:

too busy noncing to get the talking in

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

kecske posted:

too busy noncing to get the talking in

Not like that stopped other DJs of the time though

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

djs are inherently untrustworthy

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
The well-known to be mutually exclusive concepts The Names of Train Lines and Trains That Run on Time.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

the large immobile gamete line
They just sit there blocking all other rail traffic

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Maugrim posted:

Me, trying to see how this comment corresponds to any noticeable change on the graph it refers to: :crossarms:

Looking at the graph, the GDP is slowly going upwards after 2009/2010 up until just after 2016 where it levels off, goes up a slight bit and then starts going down before plummeting again around the Pandemic.

But the labeling at this point of the graph is just "Pre-Pandemic" trend.
One could think that the graph is just trying to say "the economy did bad because of the financial crash of 2008 and then the Covid Pandemic. They are the only reasons things are bad."

There must always be moves to highlight when Conswrative Governments are bad for the economy.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It's nice to see Piss Morgan has landed on his feet... lmao....

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1758101669278072899

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The man who ran a mansion of sexy women to attend to him 24/7 wasn't a humble gentleman??

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

Literally all the Tories would need to do was nothing and they could have taken credit for saving the economy by stealing Brown's work. But instead they had to loving piledrive the economy into the ground out of hubris and greed.

There was a chap from the Resolution Foundation on the radio a bit earlier, discussing the recession news. He talked about the long-term factors that have weighed down the UK economy for nearly two decades and he was asked 'what the government - any government - should do to solve them. His reply was all the usual stuff that anyone with half a brain would say: the UK needs to up its public investment by 50% just to reach the OECD average, let alone any extra to make good the shortfall, UK businesses are worse than nearly all our peers for investing in the long term and profit/dividends need to be spent on modernisation, productivity, skills and higher wages. Huge geographic inequality in terms of economic activity. Higher benefits/welfare payments to reduce 'social debt' of poverty, illness etc., a higher tax burden focussing particularly on wealth etc. etc. etc.

All I could think of was that however sensible and obvious this may be, any politician actually proposing any of this stuff would get absolutely monstered as a dangerous communist loon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

The man who ran a mansion of sexy women to attend to him 24/7 wasn't a humble gentleman??

I actually read an interview with...I think her, certainly one of his exes. It was honestly hideously depressing. Like, obviously all this misogyny & poo poo which is unpleasant, but Hugh didn't even seem to particularly enjoy his life, it was all pitifully lonely, as well as being creepy as gently caress.