Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I actually got vanilla Atelier Rarona in an unplayable state my first run because of the time limit. They are way more lenient now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the original atelier rorona was just an infamously rough game for the series, the ones before it are more lenient too

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, Rorona really felt like they were trying to add a bit more bite to the series at the time (or maybe just were really rough going into full 3D.)

I actually disliked Rorona so much I gave up on the series until Escha & Logy.

microfolk
Aug 15, 2023

CATGIRL DEATH INDUSTRIAL

The Colonel posted:

finished king's field 2. insane that this was the second game from ever made

It's a great game and it's also hilarious how the first three King's Field games have such a fast movement compared to King's Field IV, the game where turning 360 degrees around takes more than 10 seconds.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

while all the original Arland trilogy are to an extent Rorona especially feels like it was designed to be failed and replayed with your increased game knowledge in the style of some otome games

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Have you played Echo Knight yet

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
no i'm going in release order

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the only atelier game id say has an especially stringent time limit is totori, if youre going for the true ending you have a bunch of mini-deadlines that the game only half informs you of

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
checked out monomyth in the steam next fest demos just cause of the king's field angle. i have no idea why this game is angling itself on king's field enough to use the exact same title font when it plays nothing like it. at the very least i don't think i've ever wanted a king's field game with bad stealth

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Tequila Bob posted:

Maybe they're trying to fix some of S2's English bugs, and it's taking a while? That's the optimistic view I'm gonna take.

Hoo yeah, Suikoden 2 is maybe my favorite game of all time but I never realised how many bugs it has until I saw a patched iso.

quote:

Armor Attribute Fixes: Adjusts armor attributes and strips/restores resistances that were applied to incorrect items.

Badeaux Appears: Badeaux will appear in the castle grounds near the pond behind the library.

Castle Armory Fix: Prevents the Castle Armory from selling items when the player has insufficient potch.

Castle Farm Fix: Fixes the Castle Farm module so the player can hand in multiple seeds or animals at one time.

Chaco Bug Fix: Adds a missing Set Level command to Chaco’s recruit script.

Circlet Name Correction: Changes “circuret” to “circlet”.

Collectibles Fix: Repairs errors in the after-battle module that can prevent Recipes, Plans, Window Sets and Sound Sets from dropping.

Emilia Dialog Fix: Force Emilia to use the Hero’s alias during Greenhill events. Mostly for consistency, as the aliases are abandoned quickly by everyone else.

Forgiver Sign Fix: Fix display. Forgiver Sign does zero damage, but a huge value is displayed.

GodSpeed Rune Name Correction: Changes “True Holy” to “Godspeed”.

Gozz Rune renamed Minotaur Rune: Changes “Gozz” to “Minotaur”.

Gregminster Rune Shop Fix: Alters a script for the rune shop in Gregminster so only one set of rare finds is available, regardless of where the hero stands.

Gremio Text Fix: Fixes missing pointers for Gremio dialogues that should appear when you try to leave Banner.

GS1 Load – Names Fix: Fixes the transfer of the hero and castle Names from the original Genso Suikoden.

GS1 Load – Rune Import: Patches the broken Rune Import so that characters with unlocked, open slots can transfer runes.

GS1 Load – Tai Ho Import: Vincent (unplayable in GS1) is removed from the import and import bonuses are added for Tai Ho.

Inns Fix: Prevent the Inn from healing the party for free.

Join At 99 Fix: Prevents recruits from joining at level 99 in error.

Kindness Rune Fix (Penalty): When a character’s invisible Kindness Rating goes below zero the Rune gives a penalty to attack instead of maxing it out.

Knife Thrower Fix: Adds a custom routine for the Knife-throwing event in Ryube that keeps HP from being zeroed.

Lamb Fix (Unicorn Woods): Separates the acquired flag for the lamb from the flag for the first chest (can now get both).

Luca Battle Party-change Fix: The party is emptied but not reformed prior to fighting Luca, allowing the hero to be alone in the back row and effectively invincible. Fix forces the party to reform.

Matilda Gate Fix: Makes the Matilda Gate immovable.

Music Fixes: Fix various issues with music and audio.

North Sparrow Escape Talisman Fix: Prevents using an Escape Talisman in North Sparrow from allowing you to pass the guards, and return to Highland early.

Rope Climb – Turtle Plans #4: Prevents Turtle Plans #4 from being awarded multiple times by the Rope Climb mini-game.

Rune Speed Fix: Fixes an intermittent bug that gives healing spells’ temporary speed boost to Rune Unites.

Rune Unite Fix: Repairs a bug that could allow a single character to participate in multiple Rune Unite spells.

Scroll Shop Display Fix: Stops the Scroll Shop from displaying the actual Names of unidentified items.

Tenzan Pass Enemies Fix: Translates the Names of the enemies in Tenzan pass, and adds the formations that contain the Chimera-type monster to the encounter table.

Tinto Glitch Fix: Fixes a script error that could make it impossible to continue the game during events in Tinto.

Trade Gossip Translation: Translates the text of the trade gossip, which otherwise appears as a garbage in-game.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Xenoblade 2: Never has there been a game where I got more lost by consulting the in-game map and compass.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Xenoblade 2: Never has there been a game where I got more lost by consulting the in-game map and compass.

The map was even worse on launch!

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

There are like 2 quests in XB 2 I refuse to complete because I spent so long trying to figure out where they start using the map and it wasted like the whole play session.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm guessing you're not thinking of the quest where you dispatch a party member to elsewhere for sixteen cumulative hours?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its mostly that one zone, the ingame map isnt perfect but its a lot better in other places

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Endorph posted:

its mostly that one zone, the ingame map isnt perfect but its a lot better in other places

Yeah 90% of the time it’s fine.

I'm guessing you're not thinking of the quest where you dispatch a party member to elsewhere for sixteen cumulative hours?

That’s not what I’m talking about but I never saw that blade again after sending them off on that quest.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I think at some point after 2017 game designers agreed that if a quest asks you to kill giant crabs for their drops, even having a marker pointing to said crab, then the loving crab should drop its item on death 100% of the time.

I never played more than thirty minutes of NieR.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 15, 2024

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
grats on not playing nier because you morally reject the least important part of the game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't remember any crabs in Nier

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

I think at some point after 2017 game designers agreed that if a quest asks you to kill giant crabs for their drops, even having a marker pointing to said crab, then the loving crab should drop its item on death 100% of the time.

I never played more than thirty minutes of NieR.

it's a really good game

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i just finished final fantasy 1 via pixel remaster, that is also a really good game

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't remember any crabs in Nier

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The crabs were in Xeno 2. I dropped NieR very early on, so I never got to try the fishing minigame that is fondly remembered, if not played.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

XB 2 has some issues, but it’s one of a kind. XB 3 dialed it back which it probably needs but I loved getting lost in the XB 2 systems.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I really liked the XB2 combat, far more than any other XB game. It wasn't explained very well and I needed to turn to YouTube to understand how the heck it was supposed to work, but once I did it worked fine and I had a lot of fun with the game.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
I really needed to immerse myself in Xenoblade 2 to get into it, but I really started to enjoy it once I began to get a grasp on its mechanics. I think the game rewards investment if you're willing to make it.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

XC2 also has the best challenge mode content out of 1/2/3 by a good margin imo.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

After finishing Parasite Eve I can't help but think of how similar it is to the first Raidou game. Both battle systems are struggling so much between their action and RPG sides that the whole thing ends up feeling jank. I wish that they had found a way to refine it better instead of ditching the whole system for 2 with Parasite Eve. If you'd opened up the customization options and made the spells more diverse you could've really gone somewhere with the system. Maybe give Aya a mitochondrial enhanced partner in battle so you aren't always leaning on her for all roles in combat.

I do appreciate that despite how silly the story is science wise the actors on it all treat the situation with the seriousness it deserves. It might be the single most effective you ever see a bureaucracy in an RPG with the management of evacuating all of Manhattan and actively working to take Eve out, despite being totally outmatched. Aya herself was a little bland almost totally because the plot is so wrapped up around Maya and Melissa and escalates so quickly that you don't get a lot of time to see her not in go go go mode. Daniel was good for most the game although I question why his son didn't get evacuated immediately, but the man totally won me over with the helicopter bit, that poo poo owned. Maeda sucked, dime store otacon. Eve was an interesting villain, very theatrical a trait I assume she inadvertently caught from Melissa. Klamp sucked.

The atmosphere was killer for most of the non sewer sections but I wish there had been more like the start of Day 3 where you run around abandoned streets and loot shops for supplies to match the mitochondrial creatures. Nineties New York is a vibe, Christmas in New York is a vibe, and abandoned New York is a vibe. I just wish there had been more chances to experience that.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The crabs were in Xeno 2. I dropped NieR very early on, so I never got to try the fishing minigame that is fondly remembered, if not played.

the fishing minigame is fine. the part that's remembered is someone comically failing to understand basic directions or try changing fishing spots, as a fishing minigame it's a grind but not one the game ever asks you to do for anything more than completionism. you got weirdly tied up on parts of nier the game itself barely tries to concern you with

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the wacky science stuff in parasite eve is hard to judge for me because literally all of it is taken from the book. like all of parasite eve is them taking a really lovely book and making a sequel out of it that is 90% its own thing and, way better than the book. everything original to the game is the cast and they're far and away the good part of it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The goofy science stuff is honestly also just 100% in tone for the kind of story it is telling. It isn't really aiming for realism so much as just like the same sort of tone you get when something horrible happens in a film because humans use 100% of their brain or unlock a secret genome or whatever. It isn't realistic but honestly PE is basically a cheesy sci-fi/horror film turned into a game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
parasite eve is the only ps1 rpg with a dungeon revolving around preventing the acquisition of a sperm bank

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Not gaming related in the slightest but related to goofy science in weird/bad books, have any of y'all read the novels the movie The Ring/Ringu are originally based on? Because they loving go places.

Like, the fact that the tape kills via a mutated strain of psychic smallpox is the least weird/bizarre thing about them.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Loop is an insanely bad book

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

kirbysuperstar posted:

Loop is an insanely bad book

Yeah, but it was so completely unhinged, especially when your only point of reference is the movie, that I couldn't stop reading it.

It was like watching a house burn down but then it turns out to be a meth lab and explodes.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Unicorn Overlord preview

https://www.rpgfan.com/2024/02/15/unicorn-overlord-hands-on-preview/

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think that may be the first time I've seen an owl be designed with Sexy Lady aesthetic instead of Wise Old Man aesthetic.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I think that may be the first time I've seen an owl be designed with Sexy Lady aesthetic instead of Wise Old Man aesthetic.

Go watch under the Silver lake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

got to the point where I can't just blind spam attack in Crisis Core, got a few gameovers when I just spammed, and got caught in an AoE and died instantly.

i do hate when I try to rush the map and avoid the mob spawns, if I escape, I take one step and I get pulled back into the random encounter, so i have to just kill them to 'reset my encounter timer' anyway. Really annoying when I'm missing one chest and can't figure out where I missed it.