Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Howdy partner!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHRHgU-MMO8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Hollismason posted:

Good 80s horror that's just chill

Spookies.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

TheKingslayer posted:

Don't get me wrong, it's fine! But it does not live up to what the mind of a ten year old conjured up.

Any time I was real little and saw a VHS cover with a skeleton on it I foolishly believed that meant the movie was about a skeleton. The DeadAlive/Brain Dead cover with the little skull in that woman’s mouth? It must be a movie about a tiny skeleton that crawls into people and kills them. People Under the Stairs? Some sort of giant skeleton or at least a giant skull is involved.

I still haven’t seen a good horror movie about a killer skeleton unless you count House on Haunted Hill. Or maybe Army of Darkness, there’s a lotta skellys in that.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Blind Dead from the Blind Dead series are pretty skeletal although they do wear clothes and a lot of them have beards.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I really wanna catch a movie this Saturday in a theater, are there any good horror movies being shown right now? Nightswim I’ve heard was disappointing which sucks cause I was looking forward to it

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

A Fancy Hat posted:

Any time I was real little and saw a VHS cover with a skeleton on it I foolishly believed that meant the movie was about a skeleton.

Childhood Fancy Hat waving the VHS rental case in the cashier's face and demanding his mom's money back because there weren't any spooky skeletons in the movie and his weekend was ruined.

TheRealGunde
Aug 13, 2007

A Fancy Hat posted:

Annabelle: Creation - I really enjoyed this one, it's much smarter than you'd think and it has some pretty strong characters and fun scares
I hated everything about it and would so incredibly disagree that it's in any way "smart".

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I really wanna catch a movie this Saturday in a theater, are there any good horror movies being shown right now? Nightswim I’ve heard was disappointing which sucks cause I was looking forward to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbqigevlxK0

Ryan George pretty much laid out how I felt about Night Swim. Movie had some potential but ultimately.... Killer swimming pool

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

TheRealGunde posted:

I hated everything about it and would so incredibly disagree that it's in any way "smart".

If you don't like movies with kids I could see it being grating. I dunno, I just really enjoyed it and found the relationship between the kids pretty charming and believable.

It's been a couple years since I saw it though so I could be overstating it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Lisa Frankenstein just started last week, I haven't seen it but it's giving a lot of Jennifer's Body vibes (right down to same writer and confirmation that it takes place in that universe), so if you liked Jennifer's Body I'd give that a try
Out of Darkness also just started last week, I haven't seen that either but it's a prehistoric horror film and looks interesting
Night Swim as you mentioned. I haven't seen that either but it's been on VOD services for a bit and it's been in theaters for over a month, this may or may not be the last week it ends up playing in theaters

Basically there's some selections, idk if any of them are good (I'll still see them all eventually lol). Each has a perk if you want to see it in theaters, I'd say take a chance on one. I'd do the same but my theater's playing Poor Things and Zone of Interest for one week only, so those are my priorities over the next 8 days

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Crescent Wrench posted:

Childhood Fancy Hat waving the VHS rental case in the cashier's face and demanding his mom's money back because there weren't any spooky skeletons in the movie and his weekend was ruined.

I was a remarkably dumb kid in a lot of ways and would take things very literally. Some kid at school told me the movie The Untouchables was about aliens that possessed people to do crimes (hence they were 'untouchable') and I asked my parents to rent the movie for me. The next time I saw him I kept asking where the drat aliens were and he admitted he mixed it up with some other movie (which I think might have been the Tommyknockers, since he also talked about green lights a lot).

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

A Fancy Hat posted:

I was a remarkably dumb kid in a lot of ways and would take things very literally. Some kid at school told me the movie The Untouchables was about aliens that possessed people to do crimes (hence they were 'untouchable') and I asked my parents to rent the movie for me. The next time I saw him I kept asking where the drat aliens were and he admitted he mixed it up with some other movie (which I think might have been the Tommyknockers, since he also talked about green lights a lot).

There's some stuff as a kid you can never really replicate as an adult. My friend just telling me the plot and what happened in Event Horizon on a dark car ride through the country was a thousand times more scary than the movie ended up being.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

TheKingslayer posted:

There's some stuff as a kid you can never really replicate as an adult. My friend just telling me the plot and what happened in Event Horizon on a dark car ride through the country was a thousand times more scary than the movie ended up being.

My rear end in a top hat room mate told me I missed a Tick (OG Fox cartoon) special episode one night and told me all about it, I was so angry. Years later when the internet came to be I realized he was loving with me. Dammit, Wolftoes (a character with Wolverine's adamantium claws coming out of his toes) sounded hilarious!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I like my middle school friend's breathless retelling of each episode of FLCL the day after they aired on Adult Swim (which I wasn't allowed to watch) way more than the show itself. There's something about the newness of experience that turns certain feelings and moments in time into legends.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I remember the morning bus ride after a new episode of South Park would involve the story being passed down like a folktale going from generation to generation.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

There's also nothing like passed around ghost stories.

My dad used to tell me one about an old plantation house he worked on back in the 80s doing contracting, allegedly the old lady that used to own it would appear in the upstairs windows and the ghost of her giant servant would stalk the grounds at night running off trespassers. The graveyard up the road from it also is supposed to have a lot of spooky goings on. The place is housing for one of the local colleges now.

I know we had a thread for people writing their own ghost stories but is there anything on the forums where people collect and recount their local "real" stuff?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Medullah posted:

My rear end in a top hat room mate told me I missed a Tick (OG Fox cartoon) special episode one night and told me all about it, I was so angry. Years later when the internet came to be I realized he was loving with me. Dammit, Wolftoes (a character with Wolverine's adamantium claws coming out of his toes) sounded hilarious!

This is hilarious.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

TheKingslayer posted:

There's also nothing like passed around ghost stories.

We had a few where I grew up like Bachelor's Grove cemetery and some other smaller haunts, and there's some out here in Albuquerque. I'm also curious about a 'real' ghost thread. I think there might've been one when we had a cryptid/conspiracies subforum but I'm not sure if that's still around.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

To add my local ghost story; we had an abandoned house about a mile away that had sat there for a few years. It was still in pretty good shape but kids would sneak in there to smoke weed and drink sometimes, so I assume the inside was kind of trashed. The story became that if you sat in there alone and blindfolded a ghostly hand would reach out and stroke the back of your neck and if you didn't run away it would start choking you. I mostly remember this because a kid on my school claimed he did it. I asked what the ghostly hand felt like and he said it "felt like popcorn" which has stuck with me for nearly 30 years now.

The story was a previous owner of the house killed themselves in the middle of the living room after losing their life savings on the stock market.

Somebody lives in that house now and has chickens, when I go visit my parents I drive past it and think about those stories a lot. Does the owner even know we made up this massive mythology about their home?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Anchor Bay is coming back https://deadline.com/2024/02/anchor-bay-entertainment-relaunched-1235827165/amp/

First two items for distribution are a Gunnar Hansen documentary (Dinner with Leatherface), and a pretty good horror film I saw last Panic Fest called Abruptio that’s done entirely through puppetry and is also the last thing Sid Haig made

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

lol oh nooooo

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

*starts chanting Anchor Bay in the same way that you would chant 'one more beer' to a friend who has been drinking exclusively garbage beer and is absolutely hammered but you're going to get him in a bad situation anyway*

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

*starts chanting Anchor Bay in the same way that you would chant 'one more beer' to a friend who has been drinking exclusively garbage beer and is absolutely hammered but you're going to get him in a bad situation anyway*

THIS IS AWE-SOME

HO-LY poo poo

EE SEE DUB

ANK ORR BAY

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

THIS IS AWE-SOME

HO-LY poo poo

EE SEE DUB

ANK ORR BAY

Is Anchor Bay ECW, because I'm sorta thinking they're more CZW.

This comment is how I just learned the CZW champ is loving Rich Swann?!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Is Anchor Bay ECW, because I'm sorta thinking they're more CZW.

This comment is how I just learned the CZW champ is loving Rich Swann?!

Toetag would be CZW: best in the edgy poo poo they did back in the day, virtually nonexistant but technically still around now

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

THIS IS AWE-SOME

HO-LY poo poo

EE SEE DUB

ANK ORR BAY

Is this where we start the conga line while chanting Anchor Bay?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

when you saw that sailboat you knew you were in for some good poo poo

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Anchor Bay released that Necronomicon edition of Evil Dead that basically disintegrated into dust when exposed to air- and we need more of that sort of ingenuity.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The days of Anchor Bay with Bill Lustig running their acquisitions was a real golden age for horror home video.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

when you saw that sailboat you knew you were in for some good poo poo

Yep

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_released_by_Anchor_Bay_Entertainment Final few years were whatever but they had a lot of gems, at their peak were putting out better (and more consistently) than basically everyone else in the genre physical media game, and are a big reason I was able to first get into Fulci

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

WeaponX posted:

Anchor Bay released that Necronomicon edition of Evil Dead that basically disintegrated into dust when exposed to air- and we need more of that sort of ingenuity.

I forgot about this :laffo: I remember coming home from college and wondering why there was dried chicken skin hanging from one of my DVDs

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I could be wrong but I recall Adam green getting mad at anchor bay for kind of loving him over with the hatchet movies but it’s been so long since I listened to his podcast and he just spent a lot of time Going Through IT so I don’t know lol

If anyone has more info lmk lol

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
VHS cover art question:

Usually my memory for this stuff is good, but drat if this one isn't annoying me. I cannot recall the movie name to look it up and put it in a queue.

The VHS cover (maybe poster art as well) showed a photo(?) of large office building at twilight, with windows lit up in the shape of a human skull. It would be a mid-to-late '70s to mid-to-late '80s movie, maybe Canadian, and may include the words "Hell," "Hospital," or "Hotel."

Google searches are stumped so far, but I know I saw it up on Netflix a few years ago and in video stores as a kid. Any idea(s)?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Naked Man Punch posted:

VHS cover art question:

Usually my memory for this stuff is good, but drat if this one isn't annoying me. I cannot recall the movie name to look it up and put it in a queue.

The VHS cover (maybe poster art as well) showed a photo(?) of large office building at twilight, with windows lit up in the shape of a human skull. It would be a mid-to-late '70s to mid-to-late '80s movie, maybe Canadian, and may include the words "Hell," "Hospital," or "Hotel."

Google searches are stumped so far, but I know I saw it up on Netflix a few years ago and in video stores as a kid. Any idea(s)?

Visiting Hours (82)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I found it just by searching movie poster horror hospital city ect lol

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
Well, then. Don't I feel like an rear end now. ;)

Um, here, some content:

Finally saw No One Will Save You this week. It's okay. The concept is great, there are a couple of good chase moments and stunts, but that ending - Look, as a Twilight Zone devotee, I get it. But I didn't LIKE the way it was done.

Also saw Censor tonight. Pacing felt a little slow, but the last 1/3 is pretty, with at least one good practical kill. Also, it does a good job capturing that excessive era of British "video nasties" censorship. Scariest thing, though, is just seeing Margaret Thatcher again. *Sideshow Bob shudder*)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Naked Man Punch posted:

Well, then. Don't I feel like an rear end now. ;)

It wasn’t easy to find for me at least lol. I almost missed it. I haven’t heard of it so it’s fun to see something new

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Anchor Bay should rerelease the Dawn of the Dead Blu Ray, then close down again.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I went to a CZW Tournament of Death once. It was pretty wild, a completely insane indie wrestler named Necro Butcher won so that probably tells you all you need to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Necro Butcher spent so much time voluntarily taking blows to the head and abusing his body that he now looks 100 years old and has renamed himself MAGA Butcher. That’s a horror story.