Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Pretty sure it's all tied to difficulty levels. I wanna say you get that one at Maniac?

Gotcha, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Dug out my HORI pad with turbo buttons and now I can finally play Rackam, Charlotta, or Lancelot without my hands hurting after 20 minutes. Why does CyGames hate thumbs?

Anyway, I took a small break but now I'm back in. Working through Very Hard. I've got everybody recruited but one person. I already got the ticket for trading Gold Emblems so I'm assuming that last crewmate ticket is a quest reward at a higher difficulty.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Paying2Lurk posted:

I've got everybody recruited but one person.

You have made a mistake if there's one character you main and you plan on getting their final weapon in a reasonable amount of time.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Hommando posted:

You have made a mistake if there's one character you main and you plan on getting their final weapon in a reasonable amount of time.

I'm still going through Very Hard difficulty so nowhere close to that yet. I don't know where I get the final ticket from. I already bought the one with gold emblems from doing Quick Quests online so I'm assuming I get it as a reward at some higher difficulty.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Paying2Lurk posted:

Dug out my HORI pad with turbo buttons and now I can finally play Rackam, Charlotta, or Lancelot without my hands hurting after 20 minutes. Why does CyGames hate thumbs?

Anyway, I took a small break but now I'm back in. Working through Very Hard. I've got everybody recruited but one person. I already got the ticket for trading Gold Emblems so I'm assuming that last crewmate ticket is a quest reward at a higher difficulty.

I just set up steam controller to do the mashing and it's great. Any time I double tap and hold it just auto fires the button. It's even nice to have for basic poo poo like rosetta comboes, why push square 4+ times when 2 will do the trick?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Fedule posted:

?????????

Cracked the case lads. The offending string is "he!!", or, "hell", which I guess is prohibited in barks despite literally being used in the game on multiple occasions. That's not the stupid part though. The censorship doesn't actually trigger off of substrings - dictionary words like "shell" and "hello" are permitted, as is any word other than exactly "hell". However, the system also detects certain character substitutions, and if it matches one of those will censor the entire word it matches in, delineated by punctuation and whitespace.

That's right, motherfuckers: this is regex's fault.

(At least that's my strong suspicion. Can any passing nerds propose a test given only a 12 char input and the returned censored word for if the game is actually using regex to match people bypassing a word blacklist and misfiring? After all this I am intensely curious)

Anyway I'm trying Vaseraga's Great Scythe Cancel Finisher and it feels illegal as gently caress.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Fedule posted:

Cracked the case lads. The offending string is "he!!", or, "hell", which I guess is prohibited in barks despite literally being used in the game on multiple occasions. That's not the stupid part though. The censorship doesn't actually trigger off of substrings - dictionary words like "shell" and "hello" are permitted, as is any word other than exactly "hell". However, the system also detects certain character substitutions, and if it matches one of those will censor the entire word it matches in, delineated by punctuation and whitespace.

That's right, motherfuckers: this is regex's fault.

(At least that's my strong suspicion. Can any passing nerds propose a test given only a 12 char input and the returned censored word for if the game is actually using regex to match people bypassing a word blacklist and misfiring? After all this I am intensely curious)

Anyway I'm trying Vaseraga's Great Scythe Cancel Finisher and it feels illegal as gently caress.

What about "kn!ght" ?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Spanish Manlove posted:

What about "kn!ght" ?

Fascinatingly (?), this one is permitted even though the specific three letter combination that causes problems in Dark Souls is also banned here. So I guess we've narrowed it down to matching substrings where the terminating (or initiating?) character is a punctuation mark?

Fedule fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 15, 2024

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I kinda wish they did something else than these many difficulties between Normal and Proud because Hard/Very Hard/Extreme/Maniac is kind of a slog. I get it’s shortening the game in theory, but I still feel like they could have condensed these difficulties into a lean middle tier that on-ramps you the grind that matters more quickly. Plus, I don’t know if it’s my luck but almost no one is actually playing these difficulties in co-op a lot of the time

Valdent
Mar 16, 2016
After finding myself playing narmaya I decided to get yodarha sort of set up and this tiny blender is incredibly fun to play. I just wish his personal sigils were a bit more useful. 70% not to eat shroud is ok since his skill cds feel pretty fast but bonus attack from combo finishers feels worthless. Maybe get a decent + version of the shroud mark and just run with that instead.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
There we go. Got the final crew card. Just had to get into Extreme difficulty and it was a reward. Now the gang's all here.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Paying2Lurk posted:

There we go. Got the final crew card. Just had to get into Extreme difficulty and it was a reward. Now the gang's all here.

Have fun getting all of the proto behamut weapons now.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Imagine not playing the game so you can min max drop rates

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I don't think anyone even knows for sure either. Everyone is just salty AF about terminus weapons lol

I wouldn't be surprised if they change something eventually. The game is so easy on the grind otherwise.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I play this game with two friends. One of them has all of the Terminus weapons, one of them has about half of them, and I have two. RNG gonna RNG.

(Seriously I got my first Terminus after my Lucky Friend already had six or seven of them, and I didn't get my second one until she had completed the collection.)

Valdent
Mar 16, 2016
It doesn't say it anywhere that I can tell but if you parry with yodarha's Y he gets a short supplemental damage buff. I swear he's got a perfect kit.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I unlocked a crewmate each time I got a new card and have zero regrets. Took until maybe the 5th weapon drop? to get cag's book but I also filled out some characters I was planning to play. Live your truth.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The grind honestly feels like an error, like, for as much as they've clearly done their homework and nailed the Action RPG concept, I think this is a case of a developer earnestly not understanding how to properly use Trophies, how to lay them out proportionately, and how to balance what the game has to offer, what the game demands of players, and what players will feel the game demands from them.

Like. If you take a scroll down the Trophy List a short ways into playing - or even a long ways, like, after literally rolling credits - it doesn't seem so bad. It's almost all clearing specific quests, clearing fate episodes, basically just seeing all the content. At a glance, there's no need to scrape your face over every inch of every explorable space or do much unreasonable grinding. There isn't even a nominal demand to proceed into Proud difficulty at all beyond the first quest, you only need to awaken an Ascended Weapon once, you only need to find a little over half of the goddamn crabs. At a glance.

Of course, we here have the Terrible Knowledge of what the grind actually requires. Clearing Every Sidequest requires a constant distraction by arbitrary tedium that loves to hide just outside of your notice, entire characters with entire chains of quests that you might never realise even exist even if you're diligent about hunting them down, that or you don't realize that just because they don't immediately pop up a new quest when you clear their current one doesn't mean they're done. And they are all pointless, save for how a handful of them yield very rare upgrade mats, there is not the tiniest shred of novelty, of creativity, of video games in a single one, save for how some of them have funny titles. And, of course, it means that the Trophy List's suggestion that you will only need to find 25 crabs is a goddamn lie. Searching for the crabs is a completely joyless experience. But even all that poo poo has nothing on Completing Lyria's Field Notes, which itself mostly isn't that big of an ask considering that clearing every quest and fate episode will get you all the enemies and characters (except for the Prismatic Slime! gently caress you!) and almost all of the treasures excepting a few that you might need to replay certain quests a few times to land (and it's actually possible to find out what these are without having to look up a guide, even!) and even that is, when considered very charitably, reasonable, when compared to the last thing, that one little thing, just one quick request - to farm the final quest for weeks at a time, to the complete exclusion of any other activity, to obtain every character's Terminus Weapon, even the ones you have no interest in.

If you know My Posting from literally anywhere you probably know that I have a bee in my bonnet the size and mass of Sagittarius A* about Trophies and how they are a gigantic misery engine, they are a blight on video games, they are a violation of the boundary between game and platform, they are, without exception, either hated or not cared about by any given player, and they almost always wind up causing players to resent their favourite games, because developers seem to neither understand nor care that players feel compelled to collect these things (or they will completely ignore them) and therefore they need to be designated responsibly. Nobody would give the first poo poo about grinding Terminus Weapons other than maybe for their mains (and it is itself a stupid design error to have them drop completely at random) if it were not the second-order implicit requirement of a Trophy. There is no reason to want to do this, and if someone does do it, nobody would care, nobody would think it was worth doing or having done. It is not even a transparent extrinsic compulsion to simply spend time playing the game, it is a transparent extrinsic compulsion to waste time in the game and there is absolutely nobody on earth who will not be rendered miserable by doing it. I think there is a real chance that whoever was responsible for this game's Trophy List actually doesn't understand the implications of what they've done, because this one thing is so, ridiculously, ludicrously, incredibly out of proportion to everything else. The alternative explanation is that they do understand what they're asking, and they do understand how players will be compelled, in which case they are simply a piece of poo poo. I suspect the former is more likely, and is the case across many of my and your least favourite Trophy Lists; these things are an imposition on developers, their presence infects game design generally, they are probably a pain to balance and certify, and they are a quick and easy way to make your players hate you. Having to meticulously think through these things is a bunch of work and just hooking them into whatever stuff in your game is already a completion meter must be very tempting because it's the path of least resistance.

I'm still going to do it, despite how much I will hate it, because I know just as well as any of you that there is just something wrong with my brain and I've made my peace with it. I'll do the story mode re-run after, as a treat.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

That just sounds like Granblue Fantasy to me.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Less grind than I expected tbh. Was thinking as soon as main story ended it’d be hella grindy but really it’s pretty chill until Proud.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Speaking of farming, I need to work on my ascension weapon upgrades.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Fedule posted:

The grind honestly feels like an error, like, for as much as they've clearly done their homework and nailed the Action RPG concept, I think this is a case of a developer earnestly not understanding how to properly use Trophies, how to lay them out proportionately, and how to balance what the game has to offer, what the game demands of players, and what players will feel the game demands from them.

Like. If you take a scroll down the Trophy List a short ways into playing - or even a long ways, like, after literally rolling credits - it doesn't seem so bad. It's almost all clearing specific quests, clearing fate episodes, basically just seeing all the content. At a glance, there's no need to scrape your face over every inch of every explorable space or do much unreasonable grinding. There isn't even a nominal demand to proceed into Proud difficulty at all beyond the first quest, you only need to awaken an Ascended Weapon once, you only need to find a little over half of the goddamn crabs. At a glance.

Of course, we here have the Terrible Knowledge of what the grind actually requires. Clearing Every Sidequest requires a constant distraction by arbitrary tedium that loves to hide just outside of your notice, entire characters with entire chains of quests that you might never realise even exist even if you're diligent about hunting them down, that or you don't realize that just because they don't immediately pop up a new quest when you clear their current one doesn't mean they're done. And they are all pointless, save for how a handful of them yield very rare upgrade mats, there is not the tiniest shred of novelty, of creativity, of video games in a single one, save for how some of them have funny titles. And, of course, it means that the Trophy List's suggestion that you will only need to find 25 crabs is a goddamn lie. Searching for the crabs is a completely joyless experience. But even all that poo poo has nothing on Completing Lyria's Field Notes, which itself mostly isn't that big of an ask considering that clearing every quest and fate episode will get you all the enemies and characters (except for the Prismatic Slime! gently caress you!) and almost all of the treasures excepting a few that you might need to replay certain quests a few times to land (and it's actually possible to find out what these are without having to look up a guide, even!) and even that is, when considered very charitably, reasonable, when compared to the last thing, that one little thing, just one quick request - to farm the final quest for weeks at a time, to the complete exclusion of any other activity, to obtain every character's Terminus Weapon, even the ones you have no interest in.

If you know My Posting from literally anywhere you probably know that I have a bee in my bonnet the size and mass of Sagittarius A* about Trophies and how they are a gigantic misery engine, they are a blight on video games, they are a violation of the boundary between game and platform, they are, without exception, either hated or not cared about by any given player, and they almost always wind up causing players to resent their favourite games, because developers seem to neither understand nor care that players feel compelled to collect these things (or they will completely ignore them) and therefore they need to be designated responsibly. Nobody would give the first poo poo about grinding Terminus Weapons other than maybe for their mains (and it is itself a stupid design error to have them drop completely at random) if it were not the second-order implicit requirement of a Trophy. There is no reason to want to do this, and if someone does do it, nobody would care, nobody would think it was worth doing or having done. It is not even a transparent extrinsic compulsion to simply spend time playing the game, it is a transparent extrinsic compulsion to waste time in the game and there is absolutely nobody on earth who will not be rendered miserable by doing it. I think there is a real chance that whoever was responsible for this game's Trophy List actually doesn't understand the implications of what they've done, because this one thing is so, ridiculously, ludicrously, incredibly out of proportion to everything else. The alternative explanation is that they do understand what they're asking, and they do understand how players will be compelled, in which case they are simply a piece of poo poo. I suspect the former is more likely, and is the case across many of my and your least favourite Trophy Lists; these things are an imposition on developers, their presence infects game design generally, they are probably a pain to balance and certify, and they are a quick and easy way to make your players hate you. Having to meticulously think through these things is a bunch of work and just hooking them into whatever stuff in your game is already a completion meter must be very tempting because it's the path of least resistance.

I'm still going to do it, despite how much I will hate it, because I know just as well as any of you that there is just something wrong with my brain and I've made my peace with it. I'll do the story mode re-run after, as a treat.

didnt read

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
hope we get some info about future content beyond the announced three updates during GBF anniversary. even if just to confirm if theyre planning more or not

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT
Jan 6, 2005

you're
I will play this game for probably several dozen or a hundred more hours and not worry about unlocking all achievements/trophies, but I will check out the ones I did unlock over the course of my time and go hey thats neat I remember that :) :coffee:. I am sorry for your dark compulsion.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fedule posted:

calm down man

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think reacting like that to 'hey do uhhh 5 billion damage to goblins lol' is way more deranged than putting that in your game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like to the point it kind of disgusts me that youre a mod

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
whenever Vyrn talks about Baddies i think he means something different

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Fedule posted:

when compared to the last thing, that one little thing, just one quick request - to farm the final quest for weeks at a time, to the complete exclusion of any other activity, to obtain every character's Terminus Weapon, even the ones you have no interest in.

I never looked up her notes but that explains why it was the lowest achieved trophy last time I checked. Goddamn.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Countblanc posted:

whenever Vyrn talks about Baddies i think he means something different

Yup

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Vyrn I saw the dragon hit me in the face I know I need to heal shut up :mad:

I'm in extreme, have one last dragon and then angry manjuice to fight again before whatever that unlocks. So far my favorite characters to play are Siegfried and Zeta. Siegfried in particular is just so satisfying to land a perfect combo on, plus he looks cool as hell. So far right now my biggest bottleneck is weapon EXP but I'm guessing that becomes less of a problem in the future?

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 16, 2024

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i wish there was a way to speed up the slime quest, even by like 10-20 seconds. or like to spawn an extra wave of the big slimes (with a chance at a prismatic) if you kill enough by the 2:30 mark. as it is now its super boring because as long as you clear 100 (which at the level everyone is already at) is completely trivial and it make sthe last 90 seconds feel like a slog to get to requeue. the other grind repeat quests like the 2x griffins are a lot more fun because you can try to optimize for time and do fun tricks for that, but the slimes are just soooooo boring

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

easier than eating apples

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I got to 6 terminus weapons (never got Cagliostro's, which is what I wanted) before I gave up. That was a whole lot of boss kills too. . .including one long sequence in a baller group doing like 5 min kills. If they made it drop off other proud bosses or even better quick quests, I'd probably play more.

While it's cool that nothing is a terrible grind until that point (never felt like I needed to max sigils or do slimes or anything), it did end on a bit of a bummer.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i do think there needs to be more incentive to run other Proud fights. some of them are stinkers, but others are great and they feel pretty neglected once you get your initial clear

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think my biggest complaint with the game overall is the difficulty is completely hosed. Everything is a complete cakewalk until Proud and even then it's like. 3? fights that have any real bite to them.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I think my biggest complaint with the game overall is the difficulty is completely hosed. Everything is a complete cakewalk until Proud and even then it's like. 3? fights that have any real bite to them.

It was weird seeing that the final boss in Proud was probably the easiest fight in that section.

Also the dragon fights rule, the only Proud quest I don't ever want to touch again is Wolf and Veil.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Chillgamesh posted:

Vyrn I saw the dragon hit me in the face I know I need to heal shut up :mad:

I'm in extreme, have one last dragon and then angry manjuice to fight again before whatever that unlocks. So far my favorite characters to play are Siegfried and Zeta. Siegfried in particular is just so satisfying to land a perfect combo on, plus he looks cool as hell. So far right now my biggest bottleneck is weapon EXP but I'm guessing that becomes less of a problem in the future?
Yeah once you get to Maniac you can farm the 2 x goblin / Griffin/ eyeball missions and get access to easy exp. There's technically a defend mission in Ex that gives okay fortitude xtals but ehhh...

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Fedule posted:

read about three sentences, is there a trophy unlock if i finish this post or can i skip it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

You need to read it to unlock rank 11 for your Terminus weapon, sorry.