Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i switched to weed, it's a lot cheaper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I also officially quit drinking in 2023. So did my sister.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

silicone thrills posted:

:peanut:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

americans everywhere are refusing to drink now that beer has gone woke

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5ztwns5PkJY&pp=ygUYYmFjayB0byB0aGUgZnV0dXJlIHBvenph

this is amazingly prescient

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

SKULL.GIF posted:

Someone in this thread a few months ago mentioned that every time you leave the house it costs $50. That stuck in my mind and yeah I've found it's true whenever I leave my apartment for a reason other than going to work, a walk, or exercising.

It's pretty easy to find a free place to sit and chill as a group most of the year. In winter of course our choices are either each others' hot cramped apartments or like a coffee shop or pub. Not spending $50 lol but it's certainly not free

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

In Training posted:

I've been socializing more than even since COVID and I don't know why. It's still possible in some cities to do free poo poo at friends places like book clubs or meeting up at a movie theater but if you ever bother to include a meal or drinks in there it's just too fuckin expensive. They speak very briefly at the end of the piece but the #1 problem is definitely the lack of social infrastructure. Not just the idea of publicly maintained Third Places but getting to and from them cheaply and efficiently.

getting 2 narragansetts on a weekend at a bar is like 25 dollars. FOH. Forget it if you are also paying to do a paid shared activity like movie/play/concert etc.

thats just covid brain damage causing you to spread it more, it’s like toxoplasmosis

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Scarabrae posted:

thats just covid brain damage causing you to spread it more, it’s like toxoplasmosis

Woah

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Add the UK to the list with Japan of countries that need to be told 2 quarters of negative growth isn't a recession. If that meant a recession then Joe Biden would have entered the 22 midterms officially in recession. So just go "Nuh Uh."

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

SKULL.GIF posted:

Someone in this thread a few months ago mentioned that every time you leave the house it costs $50. That stuck in my mind and yeah I've found it's true whenever I leave my apartment for a reason other than going to work, a walk, or exercising.

yeah when I was in highschool I had a part time min wage job that I worked for 10 hrs/week and that was plenty of money to go to the movies or grab some food or w/e with friends. Those products or services have all like tripled in price but min wage is like a dollar or two more.

Granted 99% of the time hanging out was just chilling at one of our homes and playing video games or watching tv or whatever which was effectively free so I don’t think that really explains everything.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Scarabrae posted:

also the term “defeated” is pretty much perfect for how I feel about work in general

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

silicone thrills posted:

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1560899967908253697?s=20

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

too bad, it's one of the few goods that hasn't gone up like 20% in price

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Lpzie posted:

Yes, that's me. I've currently saved 6 figures to blow overseas in the next few months. And thank you for this effort post, but I disagree. America is like a big bucket full of money. The faster we can throw the money overboard, the faster it'll be out of money and collapsing.

What about the people left holding the bag, you might say. America collapses, all that money I gave them is worthless. Doesn't that make me a bad person? No. Here's why: 1) I don't spend a lot of money at one location. So the harm is minimal. 2) I don't bring the items I bought with me. I usually try to sneak them back into the store afterwards. This is pretty easy usually. Just put it back on the shelf or go into the backroom. 3) What about foods? I make sure to do a huge purging session before the flight back home.

This is probably the most moral thing anybody can do as an American. I encourage people to try it.

thank you. i’m going to do this as well when i have a chance.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Shear Modulus posted:

cheap vodka is the only thing i've seen getting cheaper over the past few years

dude at the liquor store said they were able to cut the price because now they're selling enough to get a bulk discount

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Griz posted:

dude at the liquor store said they were able to cut the price because now they're selling enough to get a bulk discount

It's incredible how many Soviet collapse parallels hold true.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

non alcoholic corona tastes the same as regular corona

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
:shuckyes:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Japan wants young people to drink more alcohol in an effort to reverse declining birthrates.

Foobie
Dec 14, 2022

err posted:

remember when Kansas did it and the legislature had to override the governor's veto to fix it

lmao

I remember that the schools had to sue the state to get enough money to function, and that many of the larger school districts just didn’t have enough money to start the school year until that lawsuit was settled. And yet I’ll still have dumbasses bitch and moan about the income taxes here.

Speaking of Kansas schools in the early 2000s they tried to make schools funded by local property taxes. This of course means that the districts weren’t funded equally, and the state republicans response was that equality is bad actually, and restricts freedom. They even cited Harrison Bergeron by Kurt Vonnegut in court lol.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Scarabrae posted:

yeah, bad

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I just heard on NPR a psychologist talking about how humans are nostalgic creatures and this distorts how low the cost of living was in prior years, so if you feel pinched by inflation it's probably quite exaggerated but don't blame yourself for being wrong after all you're only human!

not saying this is related to any larger trend but I quit (maybe hiatus is a better word) this year, I wasnt big on drinking but maybe I'm saving 30-40 bucks per month

vibes confirmed

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Japan wants young people to drink more alcohol in an effort to reverse declining birthrates.

Yeah that ain't the problem.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

What the heck!!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Foobie posted:

Speaking of Kansas schools in the early 2000s they tried to make schools funded by local property taxes.

this is how schools are funded in Pennsylvania and people basically act like sending your kids to anywhere but a handful of (rich white) schools in any given area is child abuse.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

HashtagGirlboss posted:

$5 bottle of Ragu
$6 ground beef
$1 yellow onion
$1 spaghetti
$50 5 boxes franzia

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

the popes toes posted:

45% can save for spaghetti
67% can afford sauce

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Foobie posted:

Speaking of Kansas schools in the early 2000s they tried to make schools funded by local property taxes.

i thought this was a large part of all school funding

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Scarabrae posted:

All the rear end-flavour and none of the buzz.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Ground beef, pasta, pasta sauce, heavy whipping cream, some ice cream, nutella, shortbread cookies, and one (1) bottle of wine.

i was away all day so didn't get a chance to riff on this one until now

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

post hole digger posted:

i thought this was a large part of all school funding

Has been since the first public schools in the US iirc

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Griz posted:

i need to get ahead of this and create a vodka subscription app

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

this BloodNet reboot is garbage where's all the cool vampires

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

In Training posted:

I've been socializing more than even since COVID and I don't know why. It's still possible in some cities to do free poo poo at friends places like book clubs or meeting up at a movie theater but if you ever bother to include a meal or drinks in there it's just too fuckin expensive. They speak very briefly at the end of the piece but the #1 problem is definitely the lack of social infrastructure. Not just the idea of publicly maintained Third Places but getting to and from them cheaply and efficiently.

getting 2 narragansetts on a weekend at a bar is like 25 dollars. FOH. Forget it if you are also paying to do a paid shared activity like movie/play/concert etc.

people can "hang out" in high school and college because schools allow you to just occupy a space without paying for it, and without having to buy anything

it's a little bit like people making friends in the office: you're already in the office anyway, though that's perhaps less of a thing that we tend to look at fondly because of the whole "this is also where you work" issue

outside of it, there are no public spaces anymore. Nowhere to sit, nowhere to congregate without having to shell out however much money to buy your way in justifying occupying a seat and a table

people will blame phones and the internet but... el problema en es capitalismo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/SethGoldstein13/status/1758290368712642626

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Anything is possible when you abandon the entire concept of public health.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

😂

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
lol Japan wants young people to be salarymen without actually giving them salaryman jobs

Apr 7, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

lol Japan wants young people to be salarymen without actually giving them salaryman jobs

it's sorta telling that Japan had to concoct a term (salaryman) to describe the western-style exploitation they were forced to adopt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

quote:

In Italy, the Constitution guarantees a minimum wage, as stated in Article 36, Paragraph 1[14]

"Workers have the right to a remuneration commensurate to the quantity and quality of their work and in any case such as to ensure them and their families a free and dignified existence."

This constitutional guarantee is implemented not through a specific legislation, but rather through collective bargaining which sets minimum wage standards in a sector by sector basis. Collective bargaining is protected by trade unions, which have constitutional rights such as legal personality. The Constitution also guarantees equal pay for women, as stated in Article 37, Paragraph 1[14]

"Working women are entitled to equal rights and, for comparable jobs, equal pay as men."

A salary is often discussed or given in terms of "Retribuzione Annuale Lorda" (RAL), similar to gross annual salary. Also a severance pay, "Trattamento di Fine Rapporto" (TFR), is required to be deposited by the employer to be paid to the employee on termination.[15][16]

I'm sure this is just a way for the Italians to steal from the rest of us