Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I haven’t started watching this yet and I’m not sure if the season is finished quite yet, but is this season good? I’m not expecting season 1 levels of greatness, but better than 2 and 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

nwin posted:

I haven’t started watching this yet and I’m not sure if the season is finished quite yet, but is this season good? I’m not expecting season 1 levels of greatness, but better than 2 and 3?

Its a good tv show. Its just a tv series that has a very "special" following on the forums. They have brain worms.

Victory Lap
Feb 25, 2001
It's definitely the best small town murder show since Fargo season 5 ended

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Sickening posted:

Its a good tv show. Its just a tv series that has a very "special" following on the forums. They have brain worms.

I think you have little experience with this forum, sirrah!

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
It's better than 3 but way worse than 2.

The two leads just aren't very good, the writing is cliche and bad, and the horror/ghosts/hallucinations have been ramped up to ridiculous levels.

It still looks beautiful though.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Victory Lap posted:

It's definitely the best small town murder show since Fargo season 5 ended

Man, I'm still thinking about the ending of that, holy poo poo was it good.

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023
I'm definitely more entertained by this season than I was by 2. I think 3 still beats it. Some of the creative choices can feel weird in the context of a True Detective show, like how the song choice and when those songs come up drives some people in this thread crazy. Most of the cast does a great job selling their character. Not fair to Kali Reis that she has to try and keep up with Jodie Foster

So far I think it's worth a watch. I'm a sucker for stories that take place in tiny locations isolated by the cold, so this season has been a fun ride despite some of the more mediocre aspects that have popped up.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Yeah I’m on the not as good as 3 wagon as well.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The show is good. Jody Foster is great. Goons are perpetually miserably and also terrible at watching TV as always, which is why half the thread is bitching about how awful the show is and the other half is just making fun of them for their hilariously bad takes where they miss obvious parts of the story. Like space heaters.

It's not S1 of course, and the biggest departure seems to be ghosts are real and show up a lot, sometimes for a spooky jumpscare and sometimes to actually progress the plot.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I think the season has been solid, though not without flaws. I liked season 3 better, I like this season a lot more than season 2. Season 1 is still the strongest.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007
It's decent tv, but the final episode has a lot of heavy lifting to do in wrapping everything up. It's not something I'd go out of my way to recommend just yet.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I'd say it's a perfectly serviceable "Troubled detective with lovely interpersonal relationships solves murder mystery" show. Is it a landmark of television for this decade? No, but if the above description is what you want it'll scratch that itch.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Anybody else wanna pile on?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
My wife and I both look forward to it every week despite its flaws. That’s the best way I can put it.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

mrmcd posted:

I'd say it's a perfectly serviceable "Troubled detective with lovely interpersonal relationships solves murder mystery" show. Is it a landmark of television for this decade? No, but if the above description is what you want it'll scratch that itch.

it is a high tier landmark that you construct in your capital city

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
2 > 1 > 4 > 3

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I think it is the worst season, but I don’t regret watching it.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Who cares about/trusts viewership numbers in 2024? That should hardly be taken as any marker of show quality one way or the other.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

mark immune posted:

2 > 1 > 4 > 3

Unironically seconded. 1 is wonderful but 2 has some insane things going on in the background that still haven't been fully unpacked. Lots of Ballard and Burroughs influence.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I think season 1 is an A+ season. Season 2 is just incomplete for me. I found it so tedious that one weekend i simply forgot to watch it, and then a month later i went "oh yeah, that show"
Season 3 was a solid b- type of show. Season 4 so far is a c+, possibly b-, possibly d depending on how it lands.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I just rewatched Season 2 and it's a lot better than I remember. I think it was such a departure from Season 1, that it soured it for me at the time.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
You jerks are gonna make me watch Season 2 again arent ya?

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

mark immune posted:

2 > 1 > 4 > 3

Yea. Mahershala and Stephen Dorff were good as hell tho.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Just started this, on episode two. Is Travis supposed to be Rust’s estranged father?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Just started this, on episode two. Is Travis supposed to be Rust’s estranged father?

:(

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

TheBizzness posted:

You jerks are gonna make me watch Season 2 again arent ya?

fukn enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRh7O0zZzA4

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Yea. Mahershala and Stephen Dorff were good as hell tho.

Looking good Purple! Who’s the old man?

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

smh if you haven’t done this with the boys

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

jesus christ his name was velcoro

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Caspere knew this

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

stepfather, I think. Or mom's new boyfriend. Im trying to remember what Rust said his family life was in that one episode

e:Im not on discord, sorry. it's early

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 16, 2024

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Double post

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

HootTheOwl posted:

||stepfather, I think. Or mom's new boyfriend. Im trying to remember what Rust said his family life was in that one episode||

The show runner confirmed it’s his dad

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

nwin posted:

Can I answer this after the finale? There's pacing issues at the very least, but if they nail the final episode I could forgive a lot. I'm starting to notice shows being edited for binge watching more and more, so it could be one of those situations. The music isn't as bad as the thread makes it out to be. I don't necessarily think it's fitting for the setting, but eh.:shrug:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Needle drops are not fantastic if you’re trying to build a mood. I’d give the series so far a B, with a B+/A- grade-grubbing student at a fancy private college modifier for the last two.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

mark immune posted:

2 > 1 > 4 > 3

yep

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I'm confused about all the season 2 love.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

Robobot posted:

I'm confused about all the season 2 love.

That mid season shootout was loving gnarly. I liked that everyone is kind of a trainwreck. I thought the resolution was satisfying. Would never put it over season 1, but I did like it better than season 3 on rewatch.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I sometimes wonder if the poor pay and conditions have anything to do with an endless supply of people willing to put up with them in order to get a better CV for another career. (Or if these people are too few in number to really explain the situation.)

And whether there might not be oversatturation of applicants with EMS experience for some careers and degree programs.

When people were suggesting giving prisoners fighting fires in California firefighter jobs upon getting out, other goons chimed in with how silly that is to expect given that there are thousands of people driving ambulances for years after essentially burning out, hoping against hope that this is the year they'll get to interview for fire services in the state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Sickening posted:

That is what I meant. I also think people who have lived in alaska all their life have these basics figured out and it doesn't need to be explained in detail to the viewer. The assumption is that wonder boy is going to survive the night sleeping in the loser shed.

The entire point to the scene was "gently caress this shack sucks, why am I sitting in a lovely lawn chair instead of being at home?".
I agree with you that people who have lived all their lives in Alaska would have the basics figured out, which is why Pete wouldn't stay in that shed.

Pete would see that the shed is unfinished, unfurnished, unheated and immediately nope the gently caress out of there. Even if there was a space heater. Especially during a blizzard. He'd go back to the office and sleep there or get a motel room.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Nobody lives in Alaska without having a few portable space heaters around. I don't actually need to physically see a space heater and watch a character plug it in and turn on to believe that there might be one around. I guess others do. Are people sometimes confused when characters just show up in other locations on a show? They didn't show any sort of car or transportation, we never saw them drive there, yet this person is suddenly several miles away from where we last saw them! I hope someone got fired for that gaping plot hole!

counterfeitsaint posted:

The show is good. Jody Foster is great. Goons are perpetually miserably and also terrible at watching TV as always, which is why half the thread is bitching about how awful the show is and the other half is just making fun of them for their hilariously bad takes where they miss obvious parts of the story. Like space heaters.

It's not S1 of course, and the biggest departure seems to be ghosts are real and show up a lot, sometimes for a spooky jumpscare and sometimes to actually progress the plot.
I'm not saying it's a plot hole. I'm saying it's incongruous. Likely due to the fact that the writer are from L.A. and don't understand that finished in-law suites in the back yard shed are not the norm throughout most of the rest of the world.

To expand on your :iiaca:

If a show takes the time to show me that the car the characters are supposed to be traveling in doesn't have an engine or doesn't have wheels. Then yes. I'll be confused when the characters arrive at their destination in the next scene without explanation.

If Night Country had cut away as Pete opens the door to the shed, leaving us to assume that it's properly furnished for him to spend the night, then I wouldn't have a problem with it. But they took the time to show us the inside of the shed, which made it clear it was not properly furnished for him to spend the night, with or without an assumed space heater.

It's just a small detail that bothered me and I'm surprised that it's blown up into the meme of the season.

True Detective Season 4: Schrödinger's Space Heater