Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tighclops posted:

video game Chief was initially envisioned as the faceless cypher for the player so yeah

this season is more interesting and less WTF but we're only on episode 3. Lol that they humanized Ackerson

Yeah, of the three lines Chief is most famous for from the games, only one of them is longer that five words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Ackerson is the best character in the show right now which is wild.

Chief is a dick to everybody :( I know he's under a lot of pressure and is being gaslit by the cia and his mom died and his illegal girlfriend died and his vtuber got taken away but cmooon Chief

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ackerson was always a tremendous dick in the books but I can't help but like the guy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Did his daughter just vanish or am I forgetting.

Wondering if the subplot with the random marine was originally for her in some way.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh my god just get to the fall already

e: Also is Miranda popping back in at some point? She was pretty big in S1 lol

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 16, 2024

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I know it was dramatic and all that, but how did that marine suddenly learn how to speak fluent alien?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
She probably studied Sangheili in military training and can translate it. Or if not, she ran it through a translator.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

What was the point of introducing a "no one believes the chief and everyone is turning on him and gaslighting him and the team is falling apart because they think he's going crazy!" drama beat, when 25 minutes later its all resolved when they start blowing the gently caress out of reach, proving he was right all along?

Bloody Pom posted:

I've been out of the loop about this show until starting it last night. I assume we'll be seeing Spartan-IIIs later this season? Hope they go into how hosed up they are due to their origins.

Bad news, based on everything hinted at in the preview clips of the season, I'm 99% sure the spartan 3's are being rolled together with the spartan 4's and they'll all be adult volunteers. (how they'll have time to put that together if the fighting on reach has already started, i have no idea)

Gonz posted:

She probably studied Sangheili in military training and can translate it. Or if not, she ran it through a translator.

Its also stated in the first episode where she's rescued by john, she and the others were specifically coms officers, so it stands to reason she would have better understanding of sangheili radio transmissions.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

No "wort wort wort", that wasn't Sanghelli :colbert:

No but I've forgotten, did the Reach game "translate" Elite speech? In Halo CE there was no translation, it wouldn't have made sense to have already translated it in Reach times but lose that information by Halo CE times.

What I'm getting at is that we're sorely missing out on grunts and their banter.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gonz posted:

This is the main thing that made me wonder if the character was originally the translator character from last season.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

huh posted:

Kwan is a much better character than in the first season. Less talk, more assassinating.

Always better to have a side-character with some agency than a side-character that has to be constantly rescued. I'm pleasantly surprised, even though the entire plotline could have been supplanted with a much shorter reason to go to Reach.

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, of the three lines Chief is most famous for from the games, only one of them is longer that five words.

"I need a weapon."

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
This season feels like its better because it's only kind of spinning its wheels as opposed to last season's dead stop. I'm confused about enough things that I'm starting to wonder if I'm the goon who is bad at watching tv.

Was it just me or was the hallway scene at the end of the last episode complete nonsense? Why are you sending your guys 2 by 2 down the dark hallway of death, knowing full well you're walking them into melee range of a hostile melee enemy? Was anything accomplished by this other than another Darth Vader light up a dark hallway with my glowing sword reveal? How many assets have they lost contact with on their home planet and still pretending like nothing is happening? Is Ackerson covering all this up? Is he just being a typical selfish intelligence mook or is he actively working to exterminate humanity, because of what Hasley did to his sister?

Did Ackerson really go through all the effort to find and capture Soran just because he thought putting him in a room with Hasley would be a poetic way for her to die?

Why is there a shot of a Covenant Fleet coming up out of the clouds, are they on Reach too? I can understand sneaking a covert ops team onto Reach to screw with the transmitter and to steal the mcguffin, but how did an entire fleet get down on the planet without anyone noticing? Even more to the point, why are they even waiting there? If you have to wait until the covert team is done before you can start your attack, just float out in deep space and warp in when necessary, you'll gonna have to fly back up into orbit to glass the planet anyways, why put all your forces where you could easily, and realistically you should, be detected?

Why the gently caress is that communications officer sitting in a church with a Sangheli transmission? Everything about that is so dumb I don't know where to start. How can she translate it in the first place? Six months ago the three people with the most direct exposure to the language and one of the smartest people on the planet all worked together to figure out a partial translation, and now this comm officer can figure everything out by herself? Setting aside how she did it, why is she in possession of what I have to assume is a classified-as-gently caress transmission on her walkman listening to it on headphone in a public place? And why isn't she screaming to anyone in charge what it says?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

This season feels like its better because it's only kind of spinning its wheels as opposed to last season's dead stop. I'm confused about enough things that I'm starting to wonder if I'm the goon who is bad at watching tv.

Was it just me or was the hallway scene at the end of the last episode complete nonsense? Why are you sending your guys 2 by 2 down the dark hallway of death, knowing full well you're walking them into melee range of a hostile melee enemy? Was anything accomplished by this other than another Darth Vader light up a dark hallway with my glowing sword reveal? How many assets have they lost contact with on their home planet and still pretending like nothing is happening? Is Ackerson covering all this up? Is he just being a typical selfish intelligence mook or is he actively working to exterminate humanity, because of what Hasley did to his sister?

Did Ackerson really go through all the effort to find and capture Soran just because he thought putting him in a room with Hasley would be a poetic way for her to die?

Why is there a shot of a Covenant Fleet coming up out of the clouds, are they on Reach too? I can understand sneaking a covert ops team onto Reach to screw with the transmitter and to steal the mcguffin, but how did an entire fleet get down on the planet without anyone noticing? Even more to the point, why are they even waiting there? If you have to wait until the covert team is done before you can start your attack, just float out in deep space and warp in when necessary, you'll gonna have to fly back up into orbit to glass the planet anyways, why put all your forces where you could easily, and realistically you should, be detected?

Why the gently caress is that communications officer sitting in a church with a Sangheli transmission? Everything about that is so dumb I don't know where to start. How can she translate it in the first place? Six months ago the three people with the most direct exposure to the language and one of the smartest people on the planet all worked together to figure out a partial translation, and now this comm officer can figure everything out by herself? Setting aside how she did it, why is she in possession of what I have to assume is a classified-as-gently caress transmission on her walkman listening to it on headphone in a public place? And why isn't she screaming to anyone in charge what it says?

I *think* I can answer some of this.

Talia, the Comms Officer, has been ordered to lie about her experiences on Sanctuary by Ackerson. Ackerson is part of a coverup that's, essentially, planning on letting Reach fall to Covenant forces for as yet unknown reasons. This is part of why she's anxious about the medal, she knows she doesn't deserve it not just because she failed to distinguish herself but because she's party to propaganda. It's the carrot, so where's the stick?

From her perspective there's no one she can trust -- except, perhaps, John.

It's not clear how Talia was able to translate the message, however it does appear that she's been affected by the message in some way (I sense that the repeated tapping which several characters are now displaying seems to indicate there's some sort of unusual phenomena going on -- see, also Kwan's demon visions and her tapping) which could explain why she's become able to understand the Covenant language.

It's not clear where she got the message from (her suit recording?) or how she smuggled it out, but it's clear the conspiracy is fairly leaky so that makes some sense. Anyway, why bother stopping her when it'd be basically impossible for her to interpret the message anyway? It's not like she's going to live to see next week.

She only seems to recognise what the message is literally saying partway through this episode, during the sequence where she's tapping in her sleep, and she only fully groks the significance during her visit to the church. By which point it's too late to warn anyone else.

As for Ackerson's conspiracy, it's not clear what's going on. He seems to be working for a faction within the ONI that's keeping secrets from another faction, resulting in some sort of civil conflict. He resents his job but he's still committed. That's about all we know. It's possible that they're deliberately sacrificing the planet for some greater play involving the artefact that Mackee (or, rather, "Mackee") grabs at the end of the second episode, and if so it's logical for him to staff the comms array with incompetent soliders.

Edit: Alternatively, the second team of Spartans was sent to retrieve the BDO from the comms array (rather than being deliberately sacrificed in order to sell the idea that the magic glowing space rock is important), but the comms array soldiers are the kind of people you stick in a low priority job away from the front lines so of course they'd never put up much of a fight.

The big open question, to my mind, is who created the new Mackee -- the Covenant or Ackerson's conspiracy lot.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Feb 16, 2024

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My guess for a future twist is that Ackerson betrays the UNSC and joins the Covenant because they can make perfect clones, like Mackee, and he wants his sister back.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Halo episode 3: Chief goes to church

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ratjaculation posted:

Halo episode 3: Chief goes to church

For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Master Chief.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 16, 2024

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Surprised someone didn't write John 1:17 into the scene

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I'm assuming Ackerman and co just know with full confidence that Reach is done for, and there's no point in creating a hysteric panic, massive evacuation problems and to save their resources for a later fight / are focused on ensuring a small part of the human race simply avoids extinction.

Why they aren't bringing their Spartans along with them is a question. They seem to be just leaving a lot of their military might to die, when they probably need them the most.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's kinda the way Operation RED FLAG was supposed to work in the books. The Spartans were told the plan was to hijack a Covenant cruiser, fly it to the supposed Covenant homeworld and hold their leaders hostage to sue for peace. What they weren't told was that in order to bait a Covenant ship into a trap they were going to use Reach. The planet would be used as a big tar pit to lock down the Covenant at whatever cost so RED FLAG could succeed.

What the RED FLAG planners didn't count on was the Covenant discovering Reach first so the entire plan went to poo poo before it could even be enacted. The Spartan 2s were massed at Reach for the operation while being kept in the dark that the northern continent was already under attack for months by a cloaked Covenant fleet that had slipped past the orbital defenses.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
This is after a bunch of retcons to get all the different versions of the story to fit together, mind.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

General Battuta posted:

This is after a bunch of retcons to get all the different versions of the story to fit together, mind.

Well even in the original release of Fall of Reach the plan got scrapped when the Covvies arrived without warning. The main difference is trying to wedge the month-long war from Halo Reach into the time frame set by the novel where the planet gets attacked and glassed in a single day.

Really the craziest part is contriving a reason why the Pillar of Autumn would not only be aware of the ongoing invasion but then landing planetside at a drydock for repairs and a pickup in the middle of a gigantic ground assault.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 16, 2024

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

The idea that Reach itself was gonna be the bait for RED FLAG seems like a pretty recent addition too iirc.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

General Battuta posted:

The idea that Reach itself was gonna be the bait for RED FLAG seems like a pretty recent addition too iirc.

I'd have to check again. I want to say that the "Use Reach as bait" plan was added in some message between Parangosky and Admiral Stanforth after the battle at Sigma Octanus but I'm not entirely certain.

EDIT: I was right. It's from a Halo Data Drop from Waypoint. Data Drop #3.
https://www.halopedia.org/Data_Drop

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 16, 2024

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I'd have to check again. I want to say that the "Use Reach as bait" plan was added in some message between Parangosky and Admiral Stanforth after the battle at Sigma Octanus but I'm not entirely certain.

EDIT: I was right. It's from a Halo Data Drop from Waypoint. Data Drop #3.
https://www.halopedia.org/Data_Drop

I’m choosing to read this as a plan fabricated afterwards to justify their incompetence.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mimir posted:

I’m choosing to read this as a plan fabricated afterwards to justify their incompetence.

Not far off considering in-universe they were trying to spin the battle at Sigma Octanus IV as a great victory while behind closed doors they were making GBS threads their pants realizing that the amount of alien artifacts on Reach made it a giant glowing beacon for Covenant ships also seeking relics.

Out-of-universe it's literally part of a series of articles written as a post-hoc justification by by the lore nerds to mesh Fall of Reach and Halo Reach together when they're very different.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Arc Hammer posted:

Not far off considering in-universe they were trying to spin the battle at Sigma Octanus IV as a great victory while behind closed doors they were making GBS threads their pants realizing that the amount of alien artifacts on Reach made it a giant glowing beacon for Covenant ships also seeking relics.

Out-of-universe it's literally part of a series of articles written as a post-hoc justification by by the lore nerds to mesh Fall of Reach and Halo Reach together when they're very different.

It's been ages since I read/played either but I remember much preferring the version of events in the book and never understood why the game couldn't stick closer to its presentation. Its not like the passage of time in the game means anything.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Arc Hammer posted:

Well even in the original release of Fall of Reach the plan got scrapped when the Covvies arrived without warning. The main difference is trying to wedge the month-long war from Halo Reach into the time frame set by the novel where the planet gets attacked and glassed in a single day.

Really the craziest part is contriving a reason why the Pillar of Autumn would not only be aware of the ongoing invasion but then landing planetside at a drydock for repairs and a pickup in the middle of a gigantic ground assault.

Jesus, Halo Reach was supposed to take place over the course of a month? It did not feel like that long the last time I played it, it all unfolds so quickly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Professor Beetus posted:

Jesus, Halo Reach was supposed to take place over the course of a month? It did not feel like that long the last time I played it, it all unfolds so quickly.

Yep, Halo Reach starts on July 24 when Noble 6 joins Noble Team and ends on August 30 when 6 dies during Lone Wolf.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

It's been ages since I read/played either but I remember much preferring the version of events in the book and never understood why the game couldn't stick closer to its presentation. Its not like the passage of time in the game means anything.

Bungie did not like the books is the long and short of it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

General Battuta posted:

Bungie did not like the books is the long and short of it.

True that on the whole they disliked the books but they also admitted that ODSTs and ONI were pretty cool and put them in their games, and Joe Staten also wrote Contact Harvest.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

True that on the whole they disliked the books but they also admitted that ODSTs and ONI were pretty cool and put them in their games, and Joe Staten also wrote Contact Harvest.

Yeah, this angered the guy who’d made up ODSTs so much he never played Halo again.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

General Battuta posted:

Yeah, this angered the guy who’d made up ODSTs so much he never played Halo again.

That part I didn't know. That's hilarious.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

General Battuta posted:

That they put his creation in the game?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I assume it's because they made a whole ODST game and I bet he didn't get any royalties from it

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

That they put his creation in the game?

After telling him that ODSTs were poo poo and nobody would ever care about them (or about other Spartans) compared to Master Chief, yeah. The ODSTs come from the books, which were a Microsoft venture; Bungie wanted to kill the book deal and it came down to a standoff in which Eric Trautmann at Microsoft, who'd been brought in to finish scripts that Bungie was late on, refused to turn over his work to Bungie until Bungie allowed the Fall of Reach novel to go ahead.

There were a few different factions inside Bungie, one guy probably told ODST Creatorman that his ideas were poo poo and then a different guy fought to get them into Halo 2. I believe the guy who said ODSTs were a lovely idea was also the creative director on Reach, which pointedly does not give a poo poo about the novel.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I hate to say it but I like the show. As long as the next episode wasn't some dumb fake out. We may actually be getting the fall of Reach

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

General Battuta posted:

After telling him that ODSTs were poo poo and nobody would ever care about them (or about other Spartans) compared to Master Chief, yeah. The ODSTs come from the books, which were a Microsoft venture; Bungie wanted to kill the book deal and it came down to a standoff in which Eric Trautmann at Microsoft, who'd been brought in to finish scripts that Bungie was late on, refused to turn over his work to Bungie until Bungie allowed the Fall of Reach novel to go ahead.

There were a few different factions inside Bungie, one guy probably told ODST Creatorman that his ideas were poo poo and then a different guy fought to get them into Halo 2. I believe the guy who said ODSTs were a lovely idea was also the creative director on Reach, which pointedly does not give a poo poo about the novel.

This is interesting to hear. From my perspective, the story of the early books shits all over the games. I never felt I quite understood what was going on in anything post the first game, and I really did not care for arbiters or didacts or whatever the hell else was going on in the non human story.

Now I'm talking about the first couple of Eric Nylund novels, Fall of Reach and whatever it's follow up was. I read them as a teenager and fell in love with the universe. I re-read them again a couple of years ago and they still hold up. Started on some of the later ones and just... Gave up.

I'm glad the series is following the human stuff in those early novels - I remember the child soldiers / Halsey war crimes stuff being an interesting part of them. I also remember some interesting fleet / space stuff in the defence of Reach, which it looks like we won't be getting.

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
I also like the show, and totally don't mind the whole romance thing. That being said, Season 1 wasn't great - but let's see how Season 2 goes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I did like the bit where Vannak admits he took his chip out and he's spending his spare time watching the animal planet TV channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
My prediction for this season is that the rest of it is basically just going to be the fall of reach and Chief and the other spartans will be leading a resistance and trying to protect the artifact. Once that gets nabbed by the covenant, planet gets glassed. Chief and co get picked up by the pillar of autumn and they yeet themselves to the halo. Show gets cancelled.