Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
king's field 3 is somehow more obtuse about some things than 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

You can't fool me I see the Heron laguz from Fire Emblem

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I just realized Yodarha from gbf is a send-up of Yoda

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I also realize we have a GBF Relink thread but having peeked in on it I've decided, you know I think I'm good bestie

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Is there any indication of whether the Switch version of Unicorn Overlord will be a quality port? It'll probably be fine, but I think I'll want to see a comparison before I commit to a version.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The switch version of 13 Sentinels ran better than the PS4 one, so much so that they back ported all the improvements, if that's any indication.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Xenoblade 2 Chapter 4: The game has had its inevitable bathhouse scene, and we now know the leading lady's clothes aren't attached to her, so really she chooses to dress like a stripper who got lost in a curtain factory.

The quest where Rex gets pickpocketed by a gang of orphans feels really tone deaf. Putting them into child labour sounds like a joke.

I'm told that the game remembers its a Xenoblade sequel after this chapter, and Tora loses all plot significance after this point, so you can just bench him since the party's bigger.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Xenoblade 2 Chapter 4: The game has had its inevitable bathhouse scene, and we now know the leading lady's clothes aren't attached to her, so really she chooses to dress like a stripper who got lost in a curtain factory.

In what way are her clothes reminiscent of curtains? What on earth does this analogy mean?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

This game doesn't explain poo poo, so I don't have to either.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Normal behavior.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

The Colonel posted:

king's field 3 is somehow more obtuse about some things than 2

I’m curious, which things?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Flying Zamboni posted:

In what way are her clothes reminiscent of curtains? What on earth does this analogy mean?

OP is afraid of women and seems to be getting confused by a game that constantly stops dead to have characters stand around and explain terms to one another going by

This game doesn't explain poo poo, so I don't have to either.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

That's how that guy posts about every game. It's like if chatGPT was a poster.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

PLaying a game that takes 20 hours to get to where it tutorializes the first of the 4 hit combo that makes up a huge portion of combat in a chapter all about the main character being sat down and mentored and very very slowly explained poo poo about being a Driver and thinking "This is TOO FAST PACED! Please spend more time explaining poo poo to me!" is so alien to me.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Glad it wasn't just me then lol.

Anyways to post about a game I'm actually currently playing, I picked up Etrian Odyssey 3 HD on a recent sale and I'm liking it a lot. I decided to give it a try after playing the Sega AGES Phantasy Star and the first person dungeon segments made me want to give a more full featured first person dungeon crawler a try.

I thought I might end up put off by the constant dipping in and out of the same floors but I really like the feeling of incremental progress and being able to gradually move through areas that previously gave me a lot of trouble with more confidence as my party (and my own knowledge of how the game works) improves.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

That's how that guy posts about every game. It's like if chatGPT was a poster.

It's really bad and awkward lol...stop trying to be funny dude it's not working

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Flying Zamboni posted:

Glad it wasn't just me then lol.

Anyways to post about a game I'm actually currently playing, I picked up Etrian Odyssey 3 HD on a recent sale and I'm liking it a lot. I decided to give it a try after playing the Sega AGES Phantasy Star and the first person dungeon segments made me want to give a more full featured first person dungeon crawler a try.

I thought I might end up put off by the constant dipping in and out of the same floors but I really like the feeling of incremental progress and being able to gradually move through areas that previously gave me a lot of trouble with more confidence as my party (and my own knowledge of how the game works) improves.

Sega ages Phantasy Star came out the year after I played the original on the PS3 Sega collection and the Sega ages version is like the best port of an old game I’ve ever played.

Drawing the maps on the original version seems cool, but I am so bad at drawing maps and the late dungeons are brutal if you don’t map them perfectly.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

PLaying a game that takes 20 hours to get to where it tutorializes the first of the 4 hit combo that makes up a huge portion of combat in a chapter all about the main character being sat down and mentored and very very slowly explained poo poo about being a Driver and thinking "This is TOO FAST PACED! Please spend more time explaining poo poo to me!" is so alien to me.

This guy is posting 100% stupidly but let’s not got overboard and pretend 2’s tutorials/combat pacing aren’t dogshit lol

If someone’s not getting the actual themes of the story that’s on them but normal people playing 2 are also going to be asking wtf is happening with the combat system

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Erg posted:

This guy is posting 100% stupidly but let’s not got overboard and pretend 2’s tutorials/combat pacing aren’t dogshit lol

If someone’s not getting the actual themes of the story that’s on them but normal people playing 2 are also going to be asking wtf is happening with the combat system

It is poo poo! It takes an eternity to dp anything and when it does it takes forever repeating it and explaining it even when you understood the first time.

they're saying it's too loving fast and doesn't overly.explain itself.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

It’s a slog until at least chain attacks are open.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
It was a fun experience not understanding chain attacks at all in Xenoblade 2 until the literal last chapter where it finally clicked on me how you're supposed to use them, and then I proceeded to annihilate every mildly threatening enemy with element bursts.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sleng Teng posted:

I’m curious, which things?

oh i was mostly posting that when i was still stuck in the training grounds cause it's full of puzzles that aren't telegraphed super clearly and with the game's framerate doing all of them takes like an hour lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

this is my favorite joke from the 2010s

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Testekill posted:

Lucretia at least looks cool and is very gay with Lelei but she's basically just the Suikoden version of Zhuge Liang and all the "just as I predicted" borderline magical bullshit tactics that entails.

Yep, gay or not she as an overall character is boring and sucks. I kept waiting for her eventual gently caress up to set the MC back but nope, she's just too perfect. It's like she has the True Rune of Boring Character Arcs.

Tequila Bob posted:

Maybe they're trying to fix some of S2's English bugs, and it's taking a while? That's the optimistic view I'm gonna take.

IIRC, all the text bugs and stuff like the Matilda Gate glitch were fixed in a rerelease they did on PSN.

Hopefully they're taking time to make the UI look better and to unfuck the bizarre design choices the original teaser showed, like when a character went into the Rune menu in combat everything had "Rune" at the end of the name which resulted in a bunch of ugly shortened names. Like in the PSX version of 2 you go in to the Rune menu and you see "Bright Shield" or "Pale Gate" whereas the remake showed someone go into the menu and it had entries like "Bri Sh Rune" and "Pl Gte Rune" or whatever. Between that and the Babby's First RPG Maker UI in the original announcement video they have a bunch of fixes and polish to do before release.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
idk it'd be nice if after the mgs master collection konami was actually putting effort into quality control but. for some reason i feel they're not going to put more effort into suikoden than into mgs

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If you have Break on an enemy before starting a Blade Combo, the entire party deals 50% more damage, just like that

XB2 is wild

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 18 days!)

its a great moment when you finally understand the chain attacks in Xenoblade 2, and remember the whole break/launch/smash cycle and it ends up being really neat. managed to get like halfway once I got some decent headway into getting some good blades and got deeper into their skill trees.

i like the chain attacks more in 2 than 3, felt much better integrated.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
I'd like chain attacks in 3 a lot better if there was a fast forward button. At the very least they're more intuitive to use.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I never want to hear the XB3 chain attack theme again in my life.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Raxivace posted:

I never want to hear the XB3 chain attack theme again in my life.

At a certain point if I wasn't fighting a boss that was a higher level than me I'd just set it to automatic and come back in a few minutes. I like the mechanic but man having those animations be mandatory is ruinous

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

XB 2 chain attacks get real when you understand the orbs man.

Edit:

Srice posted:

At a certain point if I wasn't fighting a boss that was a higher level than me I'd just set it to automatic and come back in a few minutes. I like the mechanic but man having those animations be mandatory is ruinous

I’m playing XB3 right now and I didn’t realize there was an auto. Thank you for this.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Two of XB3 biggest three flaws could have easily been patched. There should have been an option to toggle off the menu and chain attack theme. Also you could have allowed de-leveling from the start so your classes don't plateau early.

There's nothing that could be done with the lame villains, Z and half the alphabet.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
De-leveling is in there somewhere. Might be NG+ in XC2/XC3?

I don't remember having XP complaints in XC3 even though it's one of my usual pet peeves in rpgs. I think as long as you didn't touch the bonus XP, things mostly settled down. The hardest difficulty had some pretty challenging bosses in the first half of the game. I don't really expect a lot of challenge in the second half of XC games since they kind of have to balance for people who don't want to use the entire battle system.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 16, 2024

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

CullenDaGaDee posted:

I'd like chain attacks in 3 a lot better if there was a fast forward button. At the very least they're more intuitive to use.

Playing the game now and God yes this

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Rascyc posted:

De-leveling is in there somewhere. Might be NG+ in XC2/XC3?

I don't remember having XP complaints in XC3 even though it's one of my usual pet peeves in rpgs. I think as long as you didn't touch the bonus XP, things mostly settled down. The hardest difficulty had some pretty challenging bosses in the first half of the game. I don't really expect a lot of challenge in the second half of XC games since they kind of have to balance for people who don't want to use the entire battle system.

I think they mean your characters class levels, not their normal levels.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Terper posted:

If you have Break on an enemy before starting a Blade Combo, the entire party deals 50% more damage, just like that

XB2 is wild

The difficulty curve for XB2 is way less severe then people think, it's just that figuring out that last 5% mastery will take you from doing 300k damage to doing 10 million damage with almost the exact same blade combo.

The 300k is still enough to kill story bosses and beat the game, you could just punch wildly above your level when you hit that final point of understanding.

You'd probably spend far more time running blade missions to grind them out all the way then you would fight literally every story boss in the game with little more then break-topple, occasionally using launch for harder enemies.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Two of XB3 biggest three flaws could have easily been patched. There should have been an option to toggle off the menu and chain attack theme. Also you could have allowed de-leveling from the start so your classes don't plateau early.

There's nothing that could be done with the lame villains, Z and half the alphabet.

I wouldn't have cared about being a bit overleveled in XC3 if it didn't gently caress with mastering classes on people too.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I liked XC3 but I felt like I spent 75% of the game shuffling jobs around between characters

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think a lot of people try and get every character through every class in a way that doesnt really matter because generally speaking tank characters only want tank skills, healer characters only want healer skills, etc, so you can mostly just pick roles for everyone and only put them through those classes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

The switch version of 13 Sentinels ran better than the PS4 one, so much so that they back ported all the improvements, if that's any indication.

Good enough for me. Thanks.