Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/PokeMikuVOLTAGE/status/1758423490229936478

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUMn-kJbNc0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Muscle Tracer posted:

lol i had erased that stake poo poo from my memory. just awful.

Play Arceus and marvel at doing something like that but 108 times just to get the one mon.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Saoshyant posted:

Play Arceus and marvel at doing something like that but 108 times just to get the one mon.

Honestly getting a Cherrim was even worse. At least Spiritomb had a quest.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I found all of the digletts in the isle of armor without a guide 😁

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Jay Rust posted:

I found all of the digletts in the isle of armor without a guide 😁

the modern gamer's greatest fear

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Forbidden Stakes: Relatively easy to see, but you'll need a fully upgraded Raidon. Only 8 needed in each quadrant of the map to unlock each Legendary for 4 Legendaries in all.

Zygarde cube quest: 5 cores and 95 cells in all, scattered throughout Alola. Some are only available during the day while others are only available at night. the prize is an extremely powerful Legendary Pokemon from the Gen 6 games.

Spiritomb sidequest: 107 Spirits, generally only appear or are more visible at night in 5 large areas of the game, you can sleep until nightfall, but some are only accessible once you've gotten all the ride Pokemon. Most are out of doors except 1 or 2 which are in enclosed areas. Prize is a generally rare Pokemon and you can get more afterwards.

Alolan Diglett sidequest: 151 of the things in one large area. Pain in the rear end to see and you need to inspect the ground closely. Will need the upgraded bike to even access a lot of them. Prize is Alolan Pokemon from the previous games including a starter that's the same type as your starter. Final prize is an Alolan Diglett.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Zuzie posted:

Alolan Diglett sidequest: 151 of the things in one large area. Pain in the rear end to see and you need to inspect the ground closely. Will need the upgraded bike to even access a lot of them.

Oh god, that's even worse than the 108 spirits in Arceus. I had completely obliterated that memory and I did this mess.

Do... do people find these sort of pixel-hunting quest fun? Is that why they keep bringing it back between games?

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Huh. I genuinely thought the digletts were just randomly generated and you'd come across all of them eventually just by normal fuckin around. That's how I got them. Probably because I knew what the final reward was and I didn't really care, so I wasn't actively hunting them down, just pulling them up whenever I saw one.
gently caress this stupid poo poo though. poo poo is so much easier if you don't collect them as you go; just wait til you're ready to do them all and follow a guide. If you take them as you go, you'll still need to come back to each location because you won't remember 100% for sure if you got that particular one, and the guides aren't always super specific about where a thing is. I remember scrutinizing the horizon in Violet, seeing if it matched up pixel-perfect to the location I was standing in, where the screenshot on the guide said there was supposed to be a stake. Am I in the right place? I thiiiink so, must have got this one already.
I'm not certain the game didn't gently caress up for me. In the end I was missing one, went over the guide for that particular color multiple times, and when I finally found the one I was missing, it was the closest one to the door which I'm positive not only I picked up first, but had gone over that location more than once while trying to figure out which I was missing.
Yeah, so fun. All for a legendary Pokemon that will sit in a box forever because legendaries are bad and lame, and using them makes the hair on your head fall out and regrow on your rear end.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zuzie posted:

Forbidden Stakes: Relatively easy to see, but you'll need a fully upgraded Raidon. Only 8 needed in each quadrant of the map to unlock each Legendary for 4 Legendaries in all.

Zygarde cube quest: 5 cores and 95 cells in all, scattered throughout Alola. Some are only available during the day while others are only available at night. the prize is an extremely powerful Legendary Pokemon from the Gen 6 games.

Spiritomb sidequest: 107 Spirits, generally only appear or are more visible at night in 5 large areas of the game, you can sleep until nightfall, but some are only accessible once you've gotten all the ride Pokemon. Most are out of doors except 1 or 2 which are in enclosed areas. Prize is a generally rare Pokemon and you can get more afterwards.

Alolan Diglett sidequest: 151 of the things in one large area. Pain in the rear end to see and you need to inspect the ground closely. Will need the upgraded bike to even access a lot of them. Prize is Alolan Pokemon from the previous games including a starter that's the same type as your starter. Final prize is an Alolan Diglett.

Is the Alolan Diglett special at least?

Also the Spiritomb quest is kind of funny considering the very next games you can find one just chilling out in the open.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Diet Poison posted:

Yeah, so fun. All for a legendary Pokemon that will sit in a box forever because legendaries are bad and lame, and using them makes the hair on your head fall out and regrow on your rear end.

This is how I know you don’t play VGC smh

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

No, it's just a Diglett variant in case you don't have the Alola games or don't play Pokemon Go. Same for all other rewards from that quest line. A cool thing to do just... not done in a non-frustrating way. Gamefreak.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Chien-Pao, Chi-Yu, and to a lesser extent Ting-Lu have been top cutting regionals in every regulation they’ve been legal, occasionally even winning them. really cool and interesting abilities, good stats, good offensive typing, good move pools

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If you only needed like 4 of the 8 stakes for each door that would've been Way Cool

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

This is how I know you don’t play VGC smh

Absolutely the gently caress not, gently caress that nonsense. I play games to relax, not to beat little kids (the only people I could ever beat in Pokemon) and get my rear end kicked over and over and over by the same 12 Pokemon.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I broadly hate competitive games—PvE for life!!!—but I have a lot of fun with VGC, which is mostly a community of friendly gay people doing funny jokes that is occasionally briefly punctuated with Pokémon battles. I hope to play at my first irl local tomorrow

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
drat Emerald is long but cool.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

It has maxed out IVs.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Oh I forgot, but Legends Arceus has a second collectathon sidequest with the Unown scattered in the game. Luckily there's like 28 of them, and the Pokedex even offers clues as to where each one is hidden.

Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon don't have the Zygarde cores and cells, but instead has its own sidequest where you collect Totem Stickers. 100 in total and you get a Totem-sized Pokemon for 20, 40, 50, 70, 80 and 100 stickers. They're not time sensitive but I believe they're in different spots then the Zygarde cells in Sun and Moon.

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 16, 2024

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I will say that the legendaries in s/v have been my favourite since like, gen2. They’re so weird and cool looking. Love Wo-Chien. Galar Zapdos was poggers too.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I know they're not really legendaries as the game treats them, but my favorite legendaries as a whole are definitely the Ultra Beasts. Poipole and Naganadel especially.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
They used to be considered legendaries until gen 9. With paradoxes existing now, they're pretty much just a strong subcategory of Pokemon. Which means if they ever become available again, no guaranteed perfect 3 IVs. Which frankly is a boon since bottle caps are more accessible, and it's the 0 IVs that are more valuable.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Also the Spiritomb quest is kind of funny considering the very next games you can find one just chilling out in the open.

This is pretty much the entirety of SV. GF finally dropped basically every previous limitation they had on what could be caught in the wild. No more “gift only” lines like Porygon or Fossils, no more refusing to put non-level up based evolutions in the wild (they always made an exception for Steelix for some reason). That and the constant rewards are the reason SV is the only game I ever completed the Pokédex for. But I admit it’s deflating to just see some trade evo walking around in the open after all those years of self trading. In my day we had to walk uphill to school both ways!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Sword and Shield did that first. Fossils are just wandering around in Crown Tundra and trade evos are just milling about in the Wild Area.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Muscle Tracer posted:

Honestly getting a Cherrim was even worse. At least Spiritomb had a quest.

I'm still farming shaking trees for cherubi or Cherrim. So many trees. So many. I have all these upper level quests and the bloom one just stares at me judging me.

But I am adoring my rock growlithe, who is now a cool Arcanine.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/PokeMikuVOLTAGE/status/1758438573928517736

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7Y30h8S7Uw

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Araxxor posted:

Sword and Shield did that first. Fossils are just wandering around in Crown Tundra and trade evos are just milling about in the Wild Area.

My guess is that starting with at least Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee, Game Freak started to use all the models and walk animations they've made for all the Pokemon, so that means having more Pokemon just appear in the wild without additional hoops to jump through to obtain them. This would include stuff like trade evolutions and Pokemon that were previously just gifts for the player.

Severedseven
Jun 6, 2007

Heavy and light

Saoshyant posted:

To add on to that, in the post game you'll run into plenty of Spiritomb mass outbreaks where you can catch +10 of them and even alphas.

Since I've finished up most of what I want to do in SV I've switched back to Arceus for collecting some extra Husui variants and passively shiny hunting. It's much more relaxing than trying to get a shiny in SV, you can't cheese the outbreaks as easily but they sparkle and make a noise. It's crazy how much that little jingle makes a difference.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Severedseven posted:

To add on to that, in the post game you'll run into plenty of Spiritomb mass outbreaks where you can catch +10 of them and even alphas.

Since I've finished up most of what I want to do in SV I've switched back to Arceus for collecting some extra Husui variants and passively shiny hunting. It's much more relaxing than trying to get a shiny in SV, you can't cheese the outbreaks as easily but they sparkle and make a noise. It's crazy how much that little jingle makes a difference.

disagree about cheesing outbreaks in Arceus, if you keep a catch/faint ratio you can actually change what spawns if a secondary outbreak forms to farm for shiny alphas. I was able to get a shiny Spiritomb this way. The real pain of that game is trying to get alpha fossil pokemon, which means waiting ages for a space distortion only to get the drat starters again :argh:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Still doing Ultra Wormholes in Ultra Moon... for some reason, the white wormholes always take me to Ultra Desert. I already got a few Pheromosa game, let me get something else.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Hammerite posted:

Still doing Ultra Wormholes in Ultra Moon... for some reason, the white wormholes always take me to Ultra Desert. I already got a few Pheromosa game, let me get something else.

Holes need to have at least 2 circles to have a good chance to be Celesteela or Guzzlord. Particularly I never found a Guzzlord until I entered a fancy legendary one.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Guzzlord has a 1% chance of being in a standard white wormhole at any distance, then 5% in level 3 (2 rings) at 1k lightyears to 21% at 5k

Level 4 wormholes (flower aura) boost the chance even higher

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
So, I just wanna say, I made a file for my 7 year old nephew in Violet, and have, when the opportunity arises, let him play for a bit and have fun with it. He hasn't touched most of the story stuff, but he's taken on a gym, a Star Base, and a Titan. Otherwise he's mostly just been exploring and catching stuff, and he's been having a lot of fun with it.

Right now, the two strongest pokemon he's been keeping on his team are a Klawf and a Seviper - he's temporarily benched his Quaxwell to the box in favor of training a Paldean Wooper, since he wants to go after the Electric Gym. I'm not poking him about doing stuff in "the right order", I'm just warning him if he tries to go after stuff that's way above his current levels.

It's been a fun time. He particularly enjoys finding Pokemon from his favorite cards in the game. The most recent such acquisition was a Wattrel - which he leapt on once he realized it evolves into Kilowattrel, which is the card he was thinking of.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

BlazetheInferno posted:

So, I just wanna say, I made a file for my 7 year old nephew in Violet, and have, when the opportunity arises, let him play for a bit and have fun with it. He hasn't touched most of the story stuff, but he's taken on a gym, a Star Base, and a Titan. Otherwise he's mostly just been exploring and catching stuff, and he's been having a lot of fun with it.

Right now, the two strongest pokemon he's been keeping on his team are a Klawf and a Seviper - he's temporarily benched his Quaxwell to the box in favor of training a Paldean Wooper, since he wants to go after the Electric Gym. I'm not poking him about doing stuff in "the right order", I'm just warning him if he tries to go after stuff that's way above his current levels.

It's been a fun time. He particularly enjoys finding Pokemon from his favorite cards in the game. The most recent such acquisition was a Wattrel - which he leapt on once he realized it evolves into Kilowattrel, which is the card he was thinking of.

Rules. My 7 year old nephew was brought by my office on Friday, and found out he had been playing violet for a few weeks now(without my brother ever bothering to mention it). He had beaten 4 titans and 3 star bases but only two gyms. He wanted to show me a battle and opened with a lvl 54 toedscruel and said to me “this one doesnt attack very often but when it does it always wins!”

So spent the next 30 minutes explaining pokemon levels, which he hadn’t really noticed much, and showed him a few more gym locations that he slowly cleared.

Sent him home with a laminated 8x11 type effectiveness chart… felt like a good uncle lol.

I know we all like to gripe about how obtuse things like EVs/IVs are, but hell for a kiddo even type effectiveness is basically a black box. Makes me understand why they added the effectiveness comment to your moves once youve seen a mon before.

Cant wait till I get the chance to link trade him one of my six rayquazas so he can go brag to all his schoolyard friends about his pokemon master uncle.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

BlazetheInferno posted:

It's a remarkably accessible game. My five year old beat Diamond on my old DS and talked so much poo poo about how good he was and how much he'd beat me that last October I bought him a switch lite and Scarlet, and he did beat the whole game and DLC on his own. He's now reading the blueberry quests on his own tho and doing them up, it's pretty cool. Thursday I helped him finish his Paldea pokedex so we can shiny hunt tomorrow.

The other night to help him understand buffs/debuffs we got out little domino blocks to practice and went through "okay so if chiyu uses snarl, that's 4 blocks. But it's STAB so now you can add 2 blocks. And now if you add choice specs... And then with helping hand..."

It owns.

Also I let him borrow my spare Miraidon for a while and he traded it back named "sooprspeed," the kid names are the best part.

Last week using a rental team turn one he blocked a glimmora meteor beam with Raging Bolt and psybladed with Iron Crown to blow it up and I was extremely proud.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 19, 2024

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Zuzie posted:

I don't know why, but the Digletts never felt like too much of a chore... might be that they were in pretty predictable places and didn't require to fight with the clunky-rear end Miraidon control like the Stakes. Being on a flat plane also helped to reduce the tedium, not need to climb every empty mountainside. With network off you can keep a double digit framerate, again, unlike S/V.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Paramemetic posted:

Last week using a rental team turn one he blocked a glimmora meteor beam with Raging Bolt and psybladed with Iron Crown to blow it up and I was extremely proud.

Lmao that kicks rear end.

I went to my first irl local this weekend and it was fun. everyone there was grown with one exception—a kid in Seniors division, which is I think 13 to 15 years old—and several of the players had won regionals or even top-cut Worlds.

everyone was super friendly and helpful and the matches were fun and tense. the kid in Seniors and I both finished 1-3 (lol) and I felt I had to sort of gently nudge him toward teaching his guys Protect, since that’s what VGC is built around, but sometimes hyper-offense pays off! (Urshifu ignores Protect anyway, so whenever one is on the field you have to kinda lock in. but it’s fun!)

the guy who won the Premier Challenge went undefeated and picked up the 30 points he needed to get his Worlds invite, which is really cool. his name’s Shiliang Tang and he was funny and nice, here’s a vid of him playing Wolfe Glick at the Hartford regional semifinals last season (a regional which Shiliang ultimately won): https://youtu.be/xb_gqOpdl_0?si=VSthM76lBhGBFyNb

I had a really good time and I’m definitely going back next month for the next Premier Challenge (I skipped yesterday’s Midseason Showdown because I didn’t have the time or the wherewithal to drive 40 minutes before noon lol)

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
How many total participants were there?

I went on the vgc website to look into going to one but the only premier events I could find were all an hour+ away.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

our PC had 13 entrants; the next day’s MSS had 31. I suspect that’s on the big side for a suburb, but we are close enough to NYC that people came out from Pennsylvania and New Jersey to play in the Midseason Showdown.

not sure how big your local scene is but if you’re near a metro area or a sufficiently popular college town those numbers are probably roughly equal?

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Just curious, for everyone's first playthrough of Legends Arceus: Did you guys focus on catching everything before or after Catching Dialga and Palkia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

The man called M posted:

Just curious, for everyone's first playthrough of Legends Arceus: Did you guys focus on catching everything before or after Catching Dialga and Palkia?

You are told to help with the pokedex in like the first hour of game play. What other way is there to play?