Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

PEOPLE!!! SKIVERS!!! push through your pains, forget your fatigue, ignore your incontinence, overcome that cancer THE ECONOMY demands that you train as a barista

King Charles better get back to work! He's got at least a 40% 5 year survival rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

crispix posted:

lol liz loving kendal on tv just now saying we need to get people off long-term sickness

That entire segment raised my blood pressure so high I expect my heart to explode any minute now.

Just 30 minutes spent swearing and yelling liar at the telly

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Gonzo McFee posted:

Looking at the number of people who voted it's not a huge gain of Labour voters so much as just the complete collapse of Tory votes. Labour gained 107 votes in Wellingborough. The Tories lost 24,869. It's not a huge gain of democracy, it's a huge number of people being completely turned off after the media decided it was safe to notice the Tories are poo poo.

From the graphs, if you add %Tory + %Reform in both cases it's bigger than %Labour. That's a bit of a worry!
I think that will push the Stormeroid rightwards thinking he has to go right to capture those votes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

smellmycheese posted:

Having had to do “marriage lessons” in order to marry in a Catholic Church I can confirm this is the official stance

crispix posted:

:mcrappe: UP BUM NO BABY
lol I just remembered that Boris Johnson got married in a Catholic Church on a "well, technically" after being divorced multiple times for being a serial adulterer and big piece of poo poo.

I wonder what level of favour he had to call in for that one. Something like Pope Francis writing an encyclical stating "God no longer cares what the gently caress Boris does, the forsaken wretch, we'll clean the church up after."

crispix posted:

lol liz loving kendal on tv just now saying we need to get people off long-term sickness
Although still not as bad as this poo poo.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

forkboy84 posted:

drat that's quite a lot of yelling at the television, even by the :scotland: baseline

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

JoylessJester posted:

Kingswood is being redrawn/abolished in the next election. I'm not actually sure what the corresponding new seat is. I think a decent chunk is going into Moggs seat and another portion is going to the Bristol Central (currently Bristol West Thangam's seat).

quote:

Further to the completion of the 2023 Periodic Review of Westminster constituencies, the seat will be abolished for the next general election, with its contents distributed three ways:[3]

- Southern areas, comprising the District of South Gloucestershire wards of Bitton and Oldland Common, Hanham, Longwell Green, and Parkwall and Warmley, included with the majority of North East Somerset to form the new constituency of North East Somerset and Hanham
- The town of Kingswood, comprising the Kingswood, New Cheltenham and Woodstock wards of South Gloucestershire, included in the re-established seat of Bristol North East
- Emersons Green transferred to Filton and Bradley Stoke

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
JobCentre Trip Report

The answer to NJAN99's question:

NotJustANumber99 posted:

How much job seeking are you required to do on jobseekers allowance or whatever it is? More than an hour a day? On a computer.

In my case, as someone with no dependents, no health problems and no other calls on their time is 35 hours a week (which is the maximum - if any of those other factors were in play it is reduced accordingly), so that's seven hours a day Mon-Fri they expect you to be looking and applying for jobs.

What constitutes evidence of this? The advisor who dealt with me was surprisingly vague - screenshots of my Indeed/Totaljobs/Findajob status pages were accepted, but she implied that simple typed lists of jobs applied for/interviews gone to would also do. My Claimant Commitment also includes things like "ask friends and family for jobs [the Tory method?]" and "search social media for suitable employment" so, unsurprisingly, a lot of this comes across as vaguely-defined and largely pointless busywork that can be used as an excuse for sanctions if they need/want to.

I voluntarily left my last job in mid-October. Between my savings and my partner's income we agreed that I would take a three-month 'sabbatical' where I wouldn't pay my share of the bills and was not expected to look for or take jobs. February was my first month of being back on paying bills and actively hunting for jobs, hence why I'm going on JSA to keep my bank account topped up. A key thing to bear in mind with this is that the JobCentre's 'clock' starts from when you left work, not when you started claiming, so as far as they're concerned I am now in no position to be choosy about jobs and if I'm not looking for/accepting jobs putting carrots in bags in a factory on a nightshift then they could sanction me for that. Of course the JSA payments don't actually reach me for two weeks and back-date to when I started claiming, not when I stopped working...because that's fair.

As to the 'vibes' - I went there dressed smart-casual (chinos, button+collar shirt under a smart woollen jumper), with my documents in my fancy leather messenger bag and turned up 10 minutes early. The person dealing with me was perfectly polite and professionally helpful (no outward or implied 'you're lazy scum who just needs to sharpen up and get to work') but they had a script of certain statements/messages they were clearly required deliver and the overall organisational tone was clearly "we just want you In Work and Off Benefits ASAP." An interesting contrast of posters on the wall behind too - half "come to us for help with SKILLS" and "How to NAIL your next INTERVIEW to get that GREAT JOB you've always WANTED" and half "Here's our definition of FRAUD - DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT. WE ARE WATCHING YOU" and "LATENESS MAY CAUSE SANCTIONS". The fact that there were multiple corporate security guards on each floor, roaming around in all-black uniforms was pretty telling as well.

The thing that really hacks me off is that this is all for £80/week, which doesn't even cover my agreed half of our standard household bills (and we're two people in a two-bed terrace house with good insulation, all LED lights and the heating set low). If they were paying out an amount that was actually enough to live on, then I could sort of understand the hoop-jumping and all the attached strings and the dangling damoclean sword of sanctions. But for a pittance that isn't actually enough to cover basic outgoings? Just give people the money.

sebzilla posted:

What sort of work are you looking for BalloonFish?

Simple question with a complicated answer.

I've spent the past 12 years in print media/publishing, doing writing, editing and production, then a later switch to digital (writing and video). I sacked off the job because the money was lousy (only a few pence/hr above minimum wage), the hours were getting longer and less predictable, the need to travel and spend days away from home was going up, the stress was ever-increasing and the creativity and satisfaction was plummeting as the whole business turned into a low-effort content farm and there was zero chance of professional progression.

I would take a job in the same sort of line if the pay, conditions and prospects were good enough. I've also been going for social media/marketing jobs, but while my previous work did include aspects of that, it was never the primary role and so I lack demonstrable experience in managing/implementing strategy, which is what those jobs seem to require if you want to get in higher than 'proof-read SEO-optimised swill generated by an AI'...which is pretty much what I left.

I'd be quite happy with an admin/management role of some sort (in any industry) with predictable hours and a chance of professional development/progression.

My career has been a real smorgasbord that has left me with a lot of transferable skills but not the good chunks of experience or qualifications that employers want. I did Archaeology at uni (Russell group, as if that matters), then had a brief spell helping doing archaeology/heritage assessments for HS2, then a spell in the Navy, then a few years being a data wonk in the NHS, then off into this career in publishing where I went through the ranks at a newspaper (staff writer, features writer, deputy editor), then left that company and went freelance (writing and editing), then went back to that company as a production editor, with side-roles producing and presenting video and podcast, then content writing for digital then finally videography. I also had a very brief time as an events manager (three weeks in March 2020 before the pandemic killed that career just as it began!) which then led to spells doing the aforementioned carrot-packing factory work and delivery driving.

So I'm left with little bits of skills (heritage, land surveying, admin, team management, production management, data crunching, IT, leadership, writing, editing, video, social media marketing etc.) and an odd array of qualifications picked up here and there over time but nothing long-term or provable that's enough to (seemingly) get me into any role that majors on any one of these things. Since I was a graduate working for minimum wage I was, and am, massively over-qualified for entry-level roles and not experienced enough for the more senior ones.

It's frustrating because I'm demonstrably flexible, adaptable and a fast learner. I may not have experience of using [particular industry-specific database] but I'm pretty sure it would not take long for me to get to grips with. But not having that proven experience with that particular system is enough to get my CV chucked in the digital bin.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

When I was on JSA and couldn't drive, they also wanted basically full time hours spent Looking For Work. Which was complicated by the fact that I was qualified for gently caress all and had limited travel capability and there was gently caress all work actually available. The jobcenter's own stupid website listed the same half dozen jobs all week and half the stuff I could conceivably apply for was obviously a scam (travelling jewelery sales rep paid on commission!!).

It really is a loving stupid system that could be more efficiently replicated by just getting you to spend 30 minutes every week getting hit with sticks in a field and then allowed to go about your day.

E: I wonder if you'll get the same push I got which was to register as self employed trying to monetize arts and crafts or some poo poo. Just patently trying to get you off the books.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 16, 2024

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

It really is a loving stupid system that could be more efficiently replicated by just getting you to spend 30 minutes every week getting hit with sticks in a field and then allowed to go about your day.

Can't risk having a system which 10%(?) of the population might actually enjoy.

Last time I was on the dole in Ireland in 2017, it was just

Me: "Hi, I have a PhD and postdoc experience so I'm looking for jobs in cancer labs or at a major pharma company!"

Dole lady: "...ok I can't help you best of luck with that"

Great times, except of course for the Mental Health

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 16, 2024

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ah but in Ireland everyone who enjoys spending 30 minutes every week getting hit with sticks in a field just joins the GAA.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

When I was on JSA and couldn't drive, they also wanted basically full time hours spent Looking For Work. Which was complicated by the fact that I was qualified for gently caress all and had limited travel capability and there was gently caress all work actually available. The jobcenter's own stupid website listed the same half dozen jobs all week and half the stuff I could conceivably apply for was obviously a scam (travelling jewelery sales rep paid on commission!!).

E: I wonder if you'll get the same push I got which was to register as self employed trying to monetize arts and crafts or some poo poo. Just patently trying to get you off the books.

That reminds me of another thing - the Jobcentre person said that they consider "90 minutes travel time" as an acceptable radius for deciding whether you are deemed able to get to an offered job. Which seemed ridiculous because London is only 50 minutes away on a fast train, and a 90 minute car journey will take you to Nottingham or most of the way to Norwich. Then she clarified that it's 90 minutes via the Stagecoach city bus system, so in effect it's only an hour's drive and they basically don't expect you to seek jobs outside the city's postcode area.

On an entirely different subject, I felt I had to share this wonderfully deranged response to the London Overground line naming (specifically The Suffragette Line) that I came across :

quote:

I suppose the good thing from a more conservative/centre right point of view is that it does re-open debate about whether giving women the vote was actually a good thing. I think it tends to be casually assumed that it was by many, but I'm not so sure. If it gave us the ever-growing reach of the state into private lives even as morality crumbles away, the fussy and judgemental environmentalism, the softening of justice for actual criminals, the oedipal nannying and the ballooning debt of the modern state. Whole great government departments devoted to nurturing and nagging. A society level manifestation of the neuroticism and over-emotional habits of the fairer sex with a heavy skew towards the unmarried and childless ones. Perhaps worst of all the existential crisis that is women no longer performing the basic biological function of reproduction.

All are at least arguably attributable to the rise of atomised individualism and the breakdown of family and community structures that resulted from the 'liberation' of women, which was anyway mostly liberating them to join the drudgery of full-time work without, in the final analysis, the accompanying benefit of raising household incomes. Doubling the available workforce by adding in generally more agreeable and loyal workers worked out very well for some.

Just maybe, if a trip from Gospel Oak to Barking Riverside gives people pause to wonder whether those zombified commuters, sexual deviants, listless consumers and other users of London's public transport are actually having lives more or less meaningful and enjoyable for the movement they are enjoined to celebrate.

Ah yes, just sensible centre-right politics, where some railways being named and coloured on a map makes you ponder whether women should have been given the right to vote.

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 16, 2024

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Ah but in Ireland everyone who enjoys spending 30 minutes every week getting hit with sticks in a field just joins the GAA.

:hmmyes:

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I wonder if you could just use chatGPT to generate your daily 7 hours of job hunting by padding the stuff you actually did.

Probably fairly trivial? It certainly beats doing the padding manually. When I was on JSA I spent multiple months applying daily to everywhere and eventually ran out of games companies on the planet.

I eventually did get a job interview right on top of my check in. Despite ringing in advance and telling them and forwarding my interview to them, they sanctioned me anyway. I lost the benefits for 2 weeks, got the job and never looked back.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

BalloonFish posted:

That reminds me of another thing - the Jobcentre person said that they consider "90 minutes travel time" as an acceptable radius for deciding whether you are deemed able to get to an offered job. Which seemed ridiculous because London is only 50 minutes away on a fast train, and a 90 minute car journey will take you to Nottingham or most of the way to Norwich. Then she clarified that it's 90 minutes via the Stagecoach city bus system, so in effect it's only an hour's drive and they basically don't expect you to seek jobs outside the city's postcode area.

I guess the thing to do is in your covering letter for the job put actual facts such as:
"I rely on public transport so the earliest I can get to the bus station in Job Town is 930am and there is the onward 20 mins walk to your company's place of work, so essentially it will be 10am before I can get in and as my last bus for the evening leaves Job Town at 5:05pm, I would need to leave work very promptly no later than 4:40pm. If you need me to work outside those hours, then my contract must include taxi provision at £100 each way."

I think I mentioned before, my niece who has a rare form of epilepsy & banned from driving got a job that was 10-4 and the company said that was fine. Then after 3 months they said she'd have to start doing shifts like everyone else. No public transport available outside the times that allowed a 10-4 shift, so as my sister has her own job to go to and just couldn't drive her daughter to and from work (40 miles round trip 2x per day/night), niece had to give up job.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

30 minutes every week getting hit with sticks in a field and then allowed to go about your day.

Isn't that just Morris Dancing?

Ed: I've just noticed these "hamas-supporting" down triangles by quoted names. Have they always been there? I don't remember noticing them before! I'm sure it used to say something different next to quoted names? Or is my imagination on overdrive? My mind is not flat (Guav - that book was tedious - sorry!)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 16, 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think that is a new forums feature (!!) which allows you to collapse or expand the quote box by clicking on it.

Eg which I shall demonstrate with a partial galtse:

quote:

"For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are perishing-you who dread knowledge-I am the man who will now tell you." The chief engineer was the only one able to move; he ran to a television set and struggled frantically with its dials. But the screen remained empty; the speaker had not chosen to be seen. Only his voice filled the airways of the country-of the world, thought the chief engineer-sounding as if he were speaking here, in this room, not to a group, but to one man; it was not the tone of addressing a meeting, but the tone of addressing a mind.

"You have heard it said that this is an age of moral crisis. You have said it yourself, half in fear, half in hope that the words had no meaning. You have cried that man's sins are destroying the world and you have cursed human nature for its unwillingness to practice the virtues you demanded. Since virtue, to you, consists of sacrifice, you have demanded more sacrifices at every successive disaster. In the name of a return to morality, you have sacrificed all those evils which you held as the cause of your plight. You have sacrificed justice to mercy. You have sacrificed independence to unity. You have sacrificed reason to faith. You have sacrificed wealth to need. You have sacrificed self-esteem to self-denial. You have sacrificed happiness to duty.

"You have destroyed all that which you held to be evil and achieved all that which you held to be good. Why, then, do you shrink in horror from the sight of the world around you? That world is not the product of your sins, it is the product and the image of your virtues. It is your moral ideal brought into reality in its full and final perfection. You have fought for it, you have dreamed of it, and you have wished it, and I-I am the man who has granted you your wish.

"Your ideal had an implacable enemy, which your code of morality was designed to destroy. I have withdrawn that enemy. I have taken it out of your way and out of your reach. I have removed the source of all those evils you were sacrificing one by one. I have ended your battle. I have stopped your motor. I have deprived your world of man's mind.

"Men do not live by the mind, you say? I have withdrawn those who do. The mind is impotent, you say? I have withdrawn those whose mind isn't. There are values higher than the mind, you say? I have withdrawn those for whom there aren't.

"While you were dragging to your sacrificial altars the men of justice, of independence, of reason, of wealth, of self-esteem-I beat you to it, I reached them first. I told them the nature of the game you were playing and the nature of that moral code of yours, which they had been too innocently generous to grasp. I showed them the way to live by another morality-mine. It is mine that they chose to follow.

"All the men who have vanished, the men you hated, yet dreaded to lose, it is I who have taken them away from you. Do not attempt to find us. We do not choose to be found. Do not cry that it is our duty to serve you. We do not recognize such duty. Do not cry that you need us. We do not consider need a claim. Do not cry that you own us. You don't. Do not beg us to return. We are on strike, we, the men of the mind.

"We are on strike against self-immolation. We are on strike against the creed of unearned rewards and unrewarded duties. We are on strike against the dogma that the pursuit of one's happiness is evil. We are on strike against the doctrine that life is guilt.

"There is a difference between our strike and all those you've practiced for centuries: our strike consists, not of making demands, but of granting them. We are evil, according to your morality. We have chosen not to harm you any longer. We are useless, according to your economics. We have chosen not to exploit you any longer. We are dangerous and to be shackled, according to your politics. We have chosen not to endanger you, nor to wear the shackles any longer. We are only an illusion, according to your philosophy. We have chosen not to blind you any longer and have left you free to face reality-the reality you wanted, the world as you see it now, a world without mind.

"We have granted you everything you demanded of us, we who had always been the givers, but have only now understood it. We have no demands to present to you, no terms to bargain about, no compromise to reach. You have nothing to offer us. We do not need you.

"Are you now crying: No, this was not what you wanted? A mindless world of ruins was not your goal? You did not want us to leave you? You moral cannibals, I know that you've always known what it was that you wanted. But your game is up, because now we know it, too.

"Through centuries of scourges and disasters, brought about by your code of morality, you have cried that your code had been broken, that the scourges were punishment for breaking it, that men were too weak and too selfish to spill all the blood it required. You damned man, you damned existence, you damned this earth, but never dared to question your code. Your victims took the blame and struggled on, with your curses as reward for their martyrdom-while you went on crying that your code was noble, but human nature was not good enough to practice it. And no one rose to ask the question: Good?-by what standard?

"You wanted to know John Galt's identity. I am the man who has asked that question.

I feel like it should probably start collapsed though personally.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 16, 2024

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

OzyMandrill posted:

My son is 11 and plays football. I'm not sure if it's the action or the result that came first, but rolling around holding your ankles in pain is to be 'in Brexit'. To tackle is to Brexit them, and you shout the Brexit means Brexit as a version of 'in your face, loser'

I know the chat has moved on but I'd never heard any of this before and it is absolutely hilarious to me. easily the best thing to come out of brexit

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Nice to see the forums have made it to 2005

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I guess the thing to do is in your covering letter for the job put actual facts such as:
"I rely on public transport so the earliest I can get to the bus station in Job Town is 930am and there is the onward 20 mins walk to your company's place of work, so essentially it will be 10am before I can get in and as my last bus for the evening leaves Job Town at 5:05pm, I would need to leave work very promptly no later than 4:40pm. If you need me to work outside those hours, then my contract must include taxi provision at £100 each way."

I think I mentioned before, my niece who has a rare form of epilepsy & banned from driving got a job that was 10-4 and the company said that was fine. Then after 3 months they said she'd have to start doing shifts like everyone else. No public transport available outside the times that allowed a 10-4 shift, so as my sister has her own job to go to and just couldn't drive her daughter to and from work (40 miles round trip 2x per day/night), niece had to give up job.

It's so typical of, well, everything that all the adjustments and accommodations have to be on the employee's side (presumably on the basis that they chose the job so have to take everything that comes with it, 'as is') rather than the employer's. Especially for people like your niece.

Bold bit - I would welcome some thread opinions on covering letters. I was always taught that they were an essential - sometimes the most vital part - of job applications, and always did one when applying for jobs in the past. My partner on the other hand was never taught/told to do one and has never included one with any job application. She has a much more lucrative and successful professional career than me, but she is an accountant where I suppose your CV really 'sells' you sufficiently as opposed to the more subjective creative/managerial type jobs where you have to sell yourself a bit more blatantly. All the job sites state that covering letters/supporting documents are 'optional' but I've been included them anyway because I feel they can't hurt.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Isn't that just Morris Dancing?

Ed: I've just noticed these "hamas-supporting" down triangles by quoted names. Have they always been there? I don't remember noticing them before! I'm sure it used to say something different next to quoted names? Or is my imagination on overdrive? My mind is not flat (Guav - that book was tedious - sorry!)

Yeah, these seem to have popped up on the forums today. I think they let you hide/grey out the quote (for multi-quotes?).

E:

OwlFancier posted:

I think that is a new forums feature (!!) which allows you to collapse or expand the quote box by clicking on it.

Ah, I get it.

So you can have the Daily Telegraph Paywall effect on my deranged conservative response to the London Overground, as your mind fogs over just as it begins blathering about reproductive functions.

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 16, 2024

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I used to take twenty minutes to apply for 7 jobs on Indeed or somewhere then put that in my account on the universal website stating that it took an hour to apply for each one. Day done. Do that for five days and that was my 35 hours and I have the weekend off.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Mebh posted:

I wonder if you could just use chatGPT to generate your daily 7 hours of job hunting by padding the stuff you actually did.

Probably fairly trivial? It certainly beats doing the padding manually. When I was on JSA I spent multiple months applying daily to everywhere and eventually ran out of games companies on the planet.

I eventually did get a job interview right on top of my check in. Despite ringing in advance and telling them and forwarding my interview to them, they sanctioned me anyway. I lost the benefits for 2 weeks, got the job and never looked back.

Sounds somewhat similar to the last time I was on JSA, it was when workfare was a thing so they were going to make me start working in a charity shop essentially full time for the JSA payment and I'd still have to look for work when I wasn't doing that, they actually told me I shouldn't go to the interview I had for an actual job cause it sounded not promising and I think they wanted me to do either an induction or a meet the boss thing at the shop, something like that. Ended up going anyway because they all seemed like loving idiots so why would I listen to them and got my first games job. I don't think they sanctioned me but I honestly can't remember, I signed off anyway obviously.

It broadly worked out for awhile I guess, feels like my time of not experiencing a mass layoff might be coming to an end at some point soon just based on the odds though.

BalloonFish posted:

It's so typical of, well, everything that all the adjustments and accommodations have to be on the employee's side (presumably on the basis that they chose the job so have to take everything that comes with it, 'as is') rather than the employer's. Especially for people like your niece.

Bold bit - I would welcome some thread opinions on covering letters. I was always taught that they were an essential - sometimes the most vital part - of job applications, and always did one when applying for jobs in the past. My partner on the other hand was never taught/told to do one and has never included one with any job application. She has a much more lucrative and successful professional career than me, but she is an accountant where I suppose your CV really 'sells' you sufficiently as opposed to the more subjective creative/managerial type jobs where you have to sell yourself a bit more blatantly. All the job sites state that covering letters/supporting documents are 'optional' but I've been included them anyway because I feel they can't hurt.

I've been told at one job that my covering letter was what made my application stand out, I suspect most of the time it matters very little though. It probably never hurts to put a bit of effort into it if the option is available, if they're the type to read it and give a poo poo, it could be that extra little push, if they don't care then they just won't read it probably?

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 16, 2024

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Had the same poo poo basically, except I just never really had the combo of time & disposable income to get around to learning to drive. It's real annoying. Actually, mine was worse, I was clear I can't work Sundays because Sunday buses are dire. So I get the gig, go in to training on the first day & the trainer is explaining that "so you can get any shift when the building is open, 7 days a week, from 8am until 10pm". And I'm like "No I can't, I can't finish later than 9pm & I can't do Sundays unless Capita are putting me in a taxi for the 30 miles" and so the guy from the agency was called over & apparently he'd forgotten this was agreed.

And then they eventually accept it, I have to work every Saturday in place of not having Sunday availability, then they offer me a permanent contract at the end of my 3 or 4 months only for them to then pull it when someone pointed out I couldn't work Sundays. Now I was looking to find a place much nearer by to live because I hated the commute, it was sapping my will to live, but the way they just pulled the permanent contract 1 week before it was due to start had me so hosed off that I didn't even bother arguing, and went from one of the better (by their stupid metrics) people in the call centre to one of the worst because poo poo doesn't matter. If you got though to me you got such a good chance of getting a gift card at the maximum I was able to offer without needing approval. Basically all they had to do was not be rude.

It's been 9 years & I'm still raging. Didn't even like the loving job.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 16, 2024

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

bessantj posted:

I used to take twenty minutes to apply for 7 jobs on Indeed or somewhere then put that in my account on the universal website stating that it took an hour to apply for each one. Day done. Do that for five days and that was my 35 hours and I have the weekend off.

One hour per job is not desperately unreasonable in itself - when I was getting started and having to re-draw my CV and write covering letters tailored for specific job types it probably did take around an hour per one. But now I'm into the swing of it I have a 'media' CV/covering letter, an 'admin' CV/covering letter, a 'management' CV/covering letter, a 'technical' CV/covering letter and so on and I just adapt each one for the specific company/role/job spec so it's much quicker. But the DWP don't need to know that...

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

bessantj posted:

That's the thing, you can do that and they don't care because the people at the Job Centre generally know the impossibility of the target. But clearly someone in government doesn't realise that & that everyone has to cheat it should probably make someone somewhere rethink such a stupid target.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh I got stuck on charity shop workfare. The manager was not terribly impressed when I said the reason I was "applying" was because the job center told me I had to or they would take my JSA away.

I've mercifully not had to do actual job hunting in a long time but the odd time I tried for something better than my last place, the amount of loving work they expect you to put in re-typing all your info into their lovely web form based application systems means you literally do need hours to apply for jobs.

Still a bit irritated about the time when I failed the co-op personality test because I was apparently not maximally motivated to work in a profit making environment.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 16, 2024

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Paperhouse posted:

I know the chat has moved on but I'd never heard any of this before and it is absolutely hilarious to me. easily the best thing to come out of brexit

I've heard kids at the bus stop using it as an insult for a few things, like mocking someone with knock-off trainers or sportswear.

"Here comes wee Johnny with his brexit trainers", or "Your da voted brexit".

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

BalloonFish posted:

One hour per job is not desperately unreasonable in itself - when I was getting started and having to re-draw my CV and write covering letters tailored for specific job types it probably did take around an hour per one. But now I'm into the swing of it I have a 'media' CV/covering letter, an 'admin' CV/covering letter, a 'management' CV/covering letter, a 'technical' CV/covering letter and so on and I just adapt each one for the specific company/role/job spec so it's much quicker. But the DWP don't need to know that...

Also when I went to meet the person at the job centre I made sure to come across a bit thicker than I actually am so they thought I was doing an amazing job.

forkboy84 posted:

That's the thing, you can do that and they don't care because the people at the Job Centre generally know the impossibility of the target. But clearly someone in government doesn't realise that & that everyone has to cheat it should probably make someone somewhere rethink such a stupid target.

The best thing was getting an interview, even if it wasn't for a job you wanted, because that's basically your day done and you can apply for one or two jobs to bloat out your hours.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I've heard kids at the bus stop using it as an insult for a few things, like mocking someone with knock-off trainers or sportswear.

"Here comes wee Johnny with his brexit trainers", or "Your da voted brexit".

Lol, this gets better and better.

Waiting for the Tory columnists to cry about their Brexit kids being bullied

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I feel quite lucky to have a job where my job security is pretty good and where it would be easy (at the moment) to get another role somewhere else if I needed to.
The NHS doesn't pay a lot and I'd be able to make more working privately, but that's the tradeoff for wanting job security and the moral superiority of providing socialised healthcare.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

OwlFancier posted:

Woah.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
It's so grim how needlessly cruel and punitive the UK JSA is. I've claimed the local equivalent in two other countries and while it wasn't a great time at least nobody tried to make me feel like a criminal for using the social safety net, and they actually paid enough to reasonably live on. Turns out it's a lot easier to learn new skills, search for and get a new job if you aren't also struggling to pay rent and having to do hours of useless busywork to claim your pittance.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Years ago I got stuck in a depressive rut and couldn't motivate myself to find any job. After 6 months of JSA I got a 'placement' at a large toy store chain doing 30+ hours a week for £10 on top of my benefits. It was for 3 months starting at the end of September. I remember the person at the job centre trying and failing to convince either her or me that this placement that ended on Christmas Eve could potentially lead to a full-time job offer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Even if it could why would it when they can get away with the jobcenter not paying you but forcing you to go there.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Precariat getting uppity ITT.

I really hope I don't get sacked anytime soon.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Interestingly I've just this minute received an email from Ipsos inviting me to do a survey about my experiences when dealing with the DWP lol

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Private Speech posted:

I really hope I don't get sacked anytime soon.

Was thinking recently that I wouldn't mind it so much, been here for a long time and would get quite a nice payout. Finding anything else seems like a massive pain in the arse though.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

sebzilla posted:

Was thinking recently that I wouldn't mind it so much, been here for a long time and would get quite a nice payout. Finding anything else seems like a massive pain in the arse though.

I was actually in a somewhat similar position to be honest, we were having redundancies and the payouts were okay, 3 months salary and a bit on top (although heavily taxed).

But the job market in tech is abysmal right now.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Solefald posted:

Interestingly I've just this minute received an email from Ipsos inviting me to do a survey about my experiences when dealing with the DWP lol

Send them link to thread

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Can't risk having a system which 10%(?) of the population might actually enjoy.

Last time I was on the dole in Ireland in 2017, it was just

Me: "Hi, I have a PhD and postdoc experience so I'm looking for jobs in cancer labs or at a major pharma company!"

Dole lady: "...ok I can't help you best of luck with that"

Great times, except of course for the Mental Health

Christ... that made me all nostalgic for a minute. :magical:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

That entire segment raised my blood pressure so high I expect my heart to explode any minute now.

This is why I stopped watching current affairs programmes entirely.