Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

night yorb
Apr 21, 2023

Turambar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOh9eEHA8Ng

Raxxanterax made a complete beginners guide, for those who are just getting to know the game

This is good. I'm locked in to start at the 1.0 release and haven't touched the game yet and this video has me feeling comfortable with game systems and hyped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I assume Last Epoch doesn't have D3's speed but how long would I expect to grind through stuff until I had the uniques/skills/etc for a given build that could start the endgame progression loop?

bamhand posted:

The cosmetics are grossly over priced and the game is just not very well designed. But I don't really see a connection between the two besides they're both bad.

The in-game buff/nerf cycle doesn't map directly to the cosmetics, but they heavily inform on the game's design. Everyone has to deal with Blizzard's not-quite-an-MMO systems whether or not they like paying money to dress up their character. You shouldn't avoid D4 because of that, though. You should avoid D4 because promising to look at fixing loot in a full-price title entirely about loot nine months after release is hilarious.

I have no idea if day one launch LE is going to be a dumpster fire, either for solo or multiplayer, but from everything I've seen/read it has functioning loot and a game loop that isn't tearing itself apart trying to be multiple conflicting things at once.

Rydash
Dec 23, 2011

You got a real problem in here, gonna cost ya extra.
I played the multiplayer tech tests and have been reading the lead-up-to-1.0 dev blogs and pondering everyone's helpful mastery takes in the thread and have ultimately discovered my brain is a duck's back.

I'm just excited to be ignorant and bad! And express zero nuance in the correct choice of item faction! And turn into a bear!!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

starting to think u have incredibly poor arpg taste

Which has a cooler / better presented storyline?

e; Disclaimer I cannot for the life of me get into Grim Yawn :imunfunny:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mailer posted:

I assume Last Epoch doesn't have D3's speed but how long would I expect to grind through stuff until I had the uniques/skills/etc for a given build that could start the endgame progression loop?

The in-game buff/nerf cycle doesn't map directly to the cosmetics, but they heavily inform on the game's design. Everyone has to deal with Blizzard's not-quite-an-MMO systems whether or not they like paying money to dress up their character. You shouldn't avoid D4 because of that, though. You should avoid D4 because promising to look at fixing loot in a full-price title entirely about loot nine months after release is hilarious.

I have no idea if day one launch LE is going to be a dumpster fire, either for solo or multiplayer, but from everything I've seen/read it has functioning loot and a game loop that isn't tearing itself apart trying to be multiple conflicting things at once.

Your first run? No more than 8 hours.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Hell yeah been waiting for release for a while now, after playing through with a homebrew necrodot lich! Thinking about starting as a bowlady this time!

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

How does online/offline play work for this game? If your character is offline is it that way permanently, or can you switch between them freely? Is offline the equivalent to PoE’s “standard” league and you’d therefore miss out on the latest cycle content?

Kinda wanna play offline for launch given the potential for server issues, but I can’t tell if I’ll be missing out on stuff like item factions if I do (obv trade doesn’t work, but if I had the SSF faction offline that sounds great)

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

D4s campaign has some cool set pieces in between, but its a complete mess with poor pacing. The open world is a giant albatross around its neck: you spend so much time running from A to B and you don't get the mount until pretty late into the campaign. And even then its just completely against what ARPGs are about, because running past instead of murdering everything is loving stupid ARPG design.
Say what you want about the PoE campaign, but outside some mild villain monologues you at least spend all your time killing poo poo.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh yea, I'm mostly talking about the major cinematics and things like that. Not like, the whole process of going 1-50.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Traitorous Leopard posted:

How does online/offline play work for this game? If your character is offline is it that way permanently, or can you switch between them freely? Is offline the equivalent to PoE’s “standard” league and you’d therefore miss out on the latest cycle content?

Kinda wanna play offline for launch given the potential for server issues, but I can’t tell if I’ll be missing out on stuff like item factions if I do (obv trade doesn’t work, but if I had the SSF faction offline that sounds great)

Offline characters are stored on your disk, online characters are on the game servers. They can't move in either direction. Content is the same, though obviously the trade faction won't do anything for offline characters. The devs have mentioned in the future that some content will be online only initially. For example I think they said that when they add pinnacle bosses they will wait until they have been killed online before they add them to offline.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wuxi posted:

D4s campaign has some cool set pieces in between, but its a complete mess with poor pacing. The open world is a giant albatross around its neck: you spend so much time running from A to B and you don't get the mount until pretty late into the campaign. And even then its just completely against what ARPGs are about, because running past instead of murdering everything is loving stupid ARPG design.
Say what you want about the PoE campaign, but outside some mild villain monologues you at least spend all your time killing poo poo.

But we wouldn't get the pure joy of finding crafting consumables if we didn't have the overworld

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Sab669 posted:

Oh yea, I'm mostly talking about the major cinematics and things like that. Not like, the whole process of going 1-50.

lol that does kind of change things

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
Online and offline are slightly different branches of the game. There are some noticeable differences like offline still has an extra loading screen when you go to the safe zone between monoliths and it has an older, better version of the door locator mechanic in dungeons. There are numerous bugs for skills that are offline or online specific. And some other minor things like warp tunnel animations playing offline when you time travel during the story. For someone who's played for a couple years, it kind of feels like offline is becoming a fossilized version of the game even though it does get all the updates to items and skills.

There have been multiple times during the 0.9.x patch cycle where offline had a game breaking bug that blocked progression for a week or more before getting a fix. Hotfixes for major online bugs were usually released within 24 hours. It's hard to predict whether that's a trend that will continue or if it was simply of result of the push for 1.0.

Playing without the bad netcode does make the game feel way better, mainly due to more responsive movement skills and no rubber banding.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Maybe it's just my internet/geography, but I've never experienced any rubber-banding in this game.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

zoux posted:

Your first run? No more than 8 hours.

Nice, that's pretty much me sold...

gnoma posted:

Playing without the bad netcode does make the game feel way better, mainly due to more responsive movement skills and no rubber banding.

...aaaand unsold until I read they apparently they have AU servers so sold again! I don't really complain too much about always-online if it's of the Warframe variety, and D3 always played fine, but not living in either United Eaglegun or Euroland usually is a multiplayer lockout most of the time. Probably would have bought this a while back when it became apparent D4 was going nowhere, except the OP said it'd be cheaper on release for some reason. I assume that's weird old info, given the 2020 release year.

Also I just checked the OP to make sure I'd read that and noticed this is an ICR thread. So now I want to be sold, but I know the game is cursed.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I never really had any problems playing solo online but as soon as you try to play with somebody else it's awful

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Got back into this game in preparation for 1.0, the only issues of online that I have noticed in my spin2win void knight are tapping the warpath bind occasionally causing to warpath while walking normally, or even more rarely spinning while not actually any damage.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
If you play a spin to win build you deserve every bad thing that happens to you, that poo poo is lame as gently caress.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
If I am interested in the game but have not got it yet, should I wait till 1.0 later this week for whatever it adds or can I try it out right now and not miss out on anything if I am not playing at a mad man's pace?

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Field Mousepad posted:

If you play a spin to win build you deserve every bad thing that happens to you, that poo poo is lame as gently caress.

I was testing out spin while casting Abyssal Echoes but that felt weak and too mana intensive.

There is noting wrong with spin2win :colbert:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Unlucky7 posted:

If I am interested in the game but have not got it yet, should I wait till 1.0 later this week for whatever it adds or can I try it out right now and not miss out on anything if I am not playing at a mad man's pace?
You can play it now and the only thing you'll be missing is two subclasses and the trade/ssf item system.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Field Mousepad posted:

You need some therapy.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

qnqnx posted:

I was testing out spin while casting Abyssal Echoes but that felt weak and too mana intensive.

There is noting wrong with spin2win :colbert:

spin2win builds are great for me because button mashing builds tend to give me wrist pain fairly quickly.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
While I personally dislike one-button specs (like WW and similar), other people can play whatever they like. Let’s not pretend that there’s a massive skill gap in play with ARPGs, or that it would matter even if there was.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
spin2lose

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Which has a cooler / better presented storyline?

e; Disclaimer I cannot for the life of me get into Grim Yawn :imunfunny:

GD is much more sedate & i like it. :razzy:

Wish i had bought LE instead of Wolcen (Umbra) back in the day. :shrug:

Thankfully i seem to have missed every single Diablo game released, much more money saved.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

You can play it now and the only thing you'll be missing is two subclasses and the trade/ssf item system.

And graphical improvements and 60 pages of other patch notes, whatever those are.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Gwaihir posted:

I really don't like d4 because the itemization is a trash fire and there's no loot filter, but thus post is like completely incorrect lol.
Does "no loot filter" mean you can't like, filter by affixes and so on, or that there's no way to hide the "you have no reason to even think about these once you have all your slots filled" garbage white gear?

Mailer posted:

From what I understand if you need like, specific uniques or something, what you'll want to do is go into the endgame loop as soon as possible you can survive it because that's the place where you can more specifically target them.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Zereth posted:

Does "no loot filter" mean you can't like, filter by affixes and so on, or that there's no way to hide the "you have no reason to even think about these once you have all your slots filled" garbage white gear?

both lol, there's literally zero way to filter loot

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Herstory Begins Now posted:

both lol, there's literally zero way to filter loot

Not even the long-standard by rarity. Amazing.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
D4 has no loot filter and yet the loot system is designed in such a way that navigating it without one is a nightmare. Not having one in D3 does not feel remotely as bad. You literally have to sift through every loving thing you pick up in D4, it's dumb as poo poo. The design of D4 was not thought out.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Zereth posted:

Not even the long-standard by rarity. Amazing.

they now do this thing where they now mulch all the gear tiered lower than your highest tier drop possible into gold (which has just as little of use) but you're still forced to see every drop with the highest tier tag, regardless of how many (if any) mods are on the item. it's extremely bad and the issue is compiled with there being a maximum of 6 stash tabs, giving you roughly ~15 inventories of space before you're just out and have to figure out what to keep. but wait, there's more! all the stuff that you want to enchant on gear takes up that same inventory space! and if that wasn't bad enough, every time you cross paths with a player on screen, the game loads their entire stash space into your client so even if they wanted to change this, they can't!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Tonetta posted:

... and if that wasn't bad enough, every time you cross paths with a player on screen, the game loads their entire stash space into your client so even if they wanted to change this, they can't!

I'm not sure what this means

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Sab669 posted:

https://x.com/JPiepiora/status/1682622069807394817?s=20

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I love that describing D4 to someone not familiar with its addiction to unforced errors is so confusing. :allears:

Zereth posted:

From what I understand if you need like, specific uniques or something, what you'll want to do is go into the endgame loop as soon as possible you can survive it because that's the place where you can more specifically target them.

I assume in this case "endgame" means "post-campaign", which is significantly different than the campaignless D3 setup where I guess you'd define it by when you've locked in your speedrun setup. There's quite a few oddities, like crafting when leveling which is normally the worst time to invest in weapons, but this is all on the outside looking in at this point. I'm not quite sure how the level spread fans out and if you're endgame at 100 (or 20, or 50, or whatever) but that's probably just going to be answered by playing.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Sab669 posted:

Yeah, this is part of what I was talking about when I mention the game’s “surprising engine limitations”. The main form of character customization in the game is the legendary power system, which lets you attach unique powers to every piece of gear. The core system is alright, but a side effect is that it encourages you to develop a “wardrobe” of backup items so that you can potentially swap around multiple powers whenever you find an upgrade in one slot.

This is where the technical fuckery comes in. The stashes are propagated to every player in an open world game, forcing a limit to their size. They aren’t large enough to accommodate more than one character, and the stash is shared across all your season’s characters. Playing more than one character to a high level is thus totally non-viable. All of this is hardcoded and cannot be changed.

And don’t get me started on the dungeon keystone system. They made an ARPG engine that cannot procgen dungeon layouts, and coupled it with an endgame activity that encourages you to run the exact same dungeon again and again. It’s like a gameplay designer looked at the programming limitations in place and specifically tried to sabotage the final game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Mailer posted:

I assume in this case "endgame" means "post-campaign",

Campaign goes up to around level 60, although you can sort of opt out of it at any time past act 2 or so and start doing repeatable Monoliths. Monoliths start at level 57, but I've been casually doing them at around level 50—you level up really fast for a bit—and I assume it's easy enough to start even earlier if you care to/have a good skill build.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 17, 2024

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:wtc:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Even if that's true, it's weird that they'd say it out loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Simply do not load every other player's entire stash in my opinion