Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

BigWeirdSashimi posted:

A few pages back, but I am training up for the big American Cheese Society Certification. There are lots of raw milk cheeses not only sold in America, but made here as well. The issue is that they are supposed to sit for 60 days before they can be sold to prevent listeria outbreaks, and a lot of French raw milk cheeses are supposed to be consumed young, especially the soft ones. This is why cheeses like Vacherin d'Or can't be brought to America.
oh interesting. whats special about 60 days that prevents it? anyways good luck on your cert!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
sometimes i wonder if it really is better to have the brains of a rutibex so i could get hyped for something for once

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Xaris posted:

sometimes i wonder if it really is better to have the brains of a rutibex so i could get hyped for something for once

Elizabeth Holmes is kinda my hero because it's all bullshit and grift. Why be honest?

I'm getting the AI-900 certification and practicing a buzzword speech so I too may get a taste of the figgies. This is an inspiring step forward.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1758557353702744561

OrangéJéllo
Aug 31, 2001

ladies and gentlemen i give you the hyperloop of chip manufacturing

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

7 trillion eh

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

gently caress me that's so insane to say "I'm going to need seven trillion for this."

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Xaris posted:

oh interesting. whats special about 60 days that prevents it? anyways good luck on your cert!

op can probably go into more detail but aging cheese typically becomes more acidic and reduces water activity, meaning the bacteria dry out and die. 60 days is just accepted as long enough for that to occur

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Xaris posted:

Oh absolutely, you gotta learn to find joy in some dumb poo poo or other, otherwise life is just an endless conveyor belt of tedious bullshit.

Welcome to your newfound interest: Cheese

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

mawarannahr posted:

7 trillion eh

Bernie's proposal to universalize Medicare would've cost 1.6 trillion per year and would've made life immeasurably better for millions and millions of people while employing a huge amount of medical workers.

:nsa:

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Cheese is the best thing white people ever made. I assume they stole it from somewhere, but by God is it fantastic.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Wonder what will make our lives better, 7t to force rocks to generate minute long videos, or universal healthcare

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Cheese is the best thing white people ever made. I assume they stole it from somewhere, but by God is it fantastic.

probably some Egypt or fertile crescent thing

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Healthcare?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Vox Nihili posted:

Oh absolutely, you gotta learn to find joy in some dumb poo poo or other, otherwise life is just an endless conveyor belt of tedious bullshit.

Welcome to your newfound interest: Cheese
sadly about the only thing I can get hyped for is games these days. Pacific Drive comes out in a week and is going to be sick as hell. everything else for me is just a tedious slow grind downwards watching material conditions rapidly decline for everyone around me with no light at the end of the tunnel.

unironically it must be nice having technocratic normie rutibex mind where you are constantly riding on the hype converor belt getting pumped up and simping for AI, VR, metaverse, latest crypto tether, whatever constantly about how its going to revolutionize society. all i see is dogshit worthless waste of resources and immiseration machines.

but yes I do love cheese way too much, just dont know much other than it's delicious. when i was younger, i always thought the dream job would be to like living in a very remote tiny monastery-thing deep in the Swiss Alps just making some kind of fancy cheese all day.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Cpt_Obvious posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3yNEeBKMZI

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

My fridge failed so everything in the fridge part has to get wasted. The freezer is fine, too cold even. The defrost system must have failed and gotten clogged. Hopefully it's just a matter of clearing the blockage and turning the machine to a lower setting from now on or replacing the defrost thermostat, but I could easily see as a total loss. It's only 3 years old.

Xaris posted:

sadly about the only thing I can get hyped for is games these days. Pacific Drive comes out in a week and is going to be sick as hell. everything else for me is just a tedious slow grind downwards watching material conditions rapidly decline for everyone around me with no light at the end of the tunnel.

unironically it must be nice having technocratic normie rutibex mind where you are constantly riding on the hype converor belt getting pumped up and simping for AI, VR, metaverse, latest crypto tether, whatever constantly about how its going to revolutionize society. all i see is dogshit worthless waste of resources and immiseration machines.

:same: And increasingly not even games. I know the new stuff is going to be released a year too early. Plus there are nights where I sit down to game and just don't care and never pick anything and just shut the computer off.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

skooma512 posted:

My fridge failed so everything in the fridge part has to get wasted. The freezer is fine, too cold even. The defrost system must have failed and gotten clogged. Hopefully it's just a matter of clearing the blockage and turning the machine to a lower setting from now on or replacing the defrost thermostat, but I could easily see as a total loss. It's only 3 years old.

:same: And increasingly not even games. I know the new stuff is going to be released a year too early. Plus there are nights where I sit down to game and just don't care and never pick anything and just shut the computer off.

fridges and microwaves are intentionally engineered to fail in like 24-36 months

anyways if you have a fridge/freezer at your office, take the important/$$$ stuff there, or ask a neighbor if you can stash some stuff in their fridge for a few days. either that or run over to BB/Costco and pickup a mini-fridge for $60 and return it afterwards (if it's not too late)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

skooma512 posted:

Plus there are nights where I sit down to game and just don't care and never pick anything and just shut the computer off.

this is depression

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

mawarannahr posted:

7 trillion eh

Yeah it's smart they give you a trillion instead and you get a trillion dollars and the idiots who gave it to you think they are art-of-the-dealing

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this is depression

Only if I lose interest in things that used to interest me for 2 consecutive quarters

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I like birdwatching. Time to turn on the news and see how the birds are doing.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

skooma512 posted:

And increasingly not even games. I know the new stuff is going to be released a year too early. Plus there are nights where I sit down to game and just don't care and never pick anything and just shut the computer off.

A lot of new games suck. Either they release incomplete or as GAAS poo poo. I put together a new gaming computer for Starfield (yes I'm a dumbass) and I haven't bothered installing anything since. I went right back to Civ6.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

DickParasite posted:

A lot of new games suck. Either they release incomplete or as GAAS poo poo. I put together a new gaming computer for Starfield (yes I'm a dumbass) and I haven't bothered installing anything since. I went right back to Civ6.

I got Gamepass for that, Forza, and Cities Skylines 2. All were bad. The only decent recent game on GP was Football Manager. I let that poo poo expire.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

the japanese indie scene is where it's at right now. they're making all your favorite games from your youth, but much better. the chinese indie scene has been getting a lot better too.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Xaris posted:

yep. the AItoids are all out in full force right now. it's actually insane how much true believers there are. everyone is jacking themselves off over sora

i sometimes feel like im in crazytown because i think it all looks like absolute poo poo. like i'm in They Live except instead of glasses my eyeballs just naturally replace all this ai stuff with GARBAGE and apparently no one else sees it

I'd make the gif if I wasn't so lazy.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Animal-Mother posted:

I'd make the gif if I wasn't so lazy.
sounds like a good use-case for...... AI!

for real I think I posted this before but recently I was doing some SME T&E review for applications for an engineer position and like there were about 6 or 7 apps that used ai for the application questions, and i just immediately zero'd them out without a second glance with "plagarized ai response' note and moved on. the other reviewer and hr was like wait how can you tell???? and I just feel like it's so obvious that I don't understand how people can't tell.

even with the sam altman sora video that he put out, everyone was jerking off trying to do ai fellatio going WOW! SO COOL! THIS IS THE FUTURE! and i felt like I was the only person in the world wholly unimpressed thinking it looks like poo poo.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 01:07 on Feb 17, 2024

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

skooma512 posted:

Only if I lose interest in things that used to interest me for 2 consecutive quarters

lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

my hyper lib union named its push to undo loving over so called 'tier 6' employees' pension deal with the lol acronym: "COPE"

im in the not totally hosed over tier 4 and support my less fortunate brothers now that they are the majority of workers they deserve to have fixing their poo poo a priority but the name COPE is very on the nose because the chances of rolling back the ways they got hosed over* are slim and the COPE plan is to beg the union members for donations to help have a better plan later.

*they lost a vestment date (used to be 10 years) after which they wouldnt have to contribute to their own pension and they lost the 55yo retirement option and have to work until 63 paying huge pension fees the whole time

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I like birdwatching. Time to turn on the news and see how the birds are doing.

Do not self-harm.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this is depression

or sleep deprivation, if a nap or a cookie doesn't fix it it's probably depression

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

skooma512 posted:

lol

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Mad Wack posted:

or sleep deprivation, if a nap or a cookie doesn't fix it it's probably depression

It's actually SOP to boot up Steam, peruse the library, fret over the amount of income sacrificed to hours played for the contents of said library, then end up going to bed instead.

See also any streaming service when combined with no real mood for what to watch.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

skooma512 posted:

there are nights where I sit down to game and just don't care and never pick anything and just shut the computer off.
okay cool good to know I’m not the only one who stares at a steam library for ten minutes and then just hits the power button

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

It's actually SOP to boot up Steam, peruse the library, fret over the amount of income sacrificed to hours played for the contents of said library, then end up going to bed instead.

See also any streaming service when combined with no real mood for what to watch.

I do this too. Browse 3 different services going "No, no, no, that has cops, that's about the military, no, no, cops, Israel" and then just turning the TV off.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

LonsomeSon posted:

crucial to emphasize for anyone who’s not from the us that this, despite reading as sarcastic, is the no-bullshit, no-joke-no-bamboozle actual law here

That's not quite true, they charge the money with the crime specifically so that you're not a party to the case and it has to defend itself

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mandoric posted:

That's not quite true, they charge the money with the crime specifically so that you're not a party to the case and it has to defend itself

Money talks.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

Money talks.

Strangely, near every time it pleads the fifth and loses its case.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

BigWeirdSashimi posted:

A few pages back, but I am training up for the big American Cheese Society Certification. There are lots of raw milk cheeses not only sold in America, but made here as well. The issue is that they are supposed to sit for 60 days before they can be sold to prevent listeria outbreaks, and a lot of French raw milk cheeses are supposed to be consumed young, especially the soft ones. This is why cheeses like Vacherin d'Or can't be brought to America.

poo poo like this is why I love these dead gay forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Joey Steel posted:

poo poo like this is why I love these dead gay forums.

I love cheeeeeese. :negative: