Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

I think the patent must’ve run out because now Breville has an inverter microwave for $400 and Toshiba has one for $180 if you don’t want to pay $260 for the Panasonic one

To be quite honest though I think any cheap piece of poo poo microwave will work fine

https://www.amazon.ca/Panasonic-NNS...117&sr=8-2&th=1

Seems like there's a fairly similar Panasonic model that's about 180$ (Canadian!) on amazon sale right now, so I might just go for that. Sadly it's a touch bigger then my previous one (also a panasonic) so I might need to rearrange some poo poo to find a spot for it.

e: and I assume the toshiba equivelent:
https://www.amazon.ca/ML-EM31P-SS-C...B09NR71NPW&th=1

I assume more wattage = more heating power, is there a general rule of thumb? I sort of want to get something a little smaller, but it feels like size usually correlates with power? Is a 900w microwave going to inconveniently less powerful then a 1100-1200 one?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Oxyclean posted:

https://www.amazon.ca/Panasonic-NNS...117&sr=8-2&th=1

Seems like there's a fairly similar Panasonic model that's about 180$ (Canadian!) on amazon sale right now, so I might just go for that. Sadly it's a touch bigger then my previous one (also a panasonic) so I might need to rearrange some poo poo to find a spot for it.

e: and I assume the toshiba equivelent:
https://www.amazon.ca/ML-EM31P-SS-C...B09NR71NPW&th=1

I assume more wattage = more heating power, is there a general rule of thumb? I sort of want to get something a little smaller, but it feels like size usually correlates with power? Is a 900w microwave going to inconveniently less powerful then a 1100-1200 one?

Microwaves have generally the same power, they run at 1000 watts per cubic foot. An 0.7 cubic foot unit will have 700 watts and heat food the same as a 1300 watt 1.3 cubic foot unit, it’s just that the small one will only heat up a dinner plate and the big one will do a serving dish

Im guessing they do this so that instructions on microwave foods will all work the same

mystes
May 31, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Microwaves have generally the same power, they run at 1000 watts per cubic foot. An 0.7 cubic foot unit will have 700 watts and heat food the same as a 1300 watt 1.3 cubic foot unit, it’s just that the small one will only heat up a dinner plate and the big one will do a serving dish

Im guessing they do this so that instructions on microwave foods will all work the same
Is it watts that determines the cooking speed in a microwave or watts per cubic food? I thought the microwaves bounce around so I would have assumed only the total number of watts would affect the cooking speed for a given amount of food, in which case while it might be proportionally equally if you put in more food, the cooking time for prepackaged microwave foods would not be the same regardless of the number of watts.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
They absolutely don’t all work the same. Maybe it would work like that if both microwaves were packed solid, but under real-world conditions, my smaller/lower-wattage microwave takes longer than my parents’ regular one for everything from softening butter and steaming vegetables to reheating leftovers and making popcorn. Sometimes packages will even have a little table of different timings based on wattage.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I *think* it’s watts/cuft

I haven’t researched it but my tiny one cooks as fast as the big one at my sisters house

I *think* they do this so that microwave food instructions will be uniform

Edit ^^^^ I’m guessing there will be some variation between models/brands but I think watts/cuft is the industry standard target

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sometimes they have instructions for different powers in watts on the packages though?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Steve Yun posted:

Also, something like 80% of microwaves are all made in a single factory that are then encased in various brands shells.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Oxyclean posted:

Still wouldn't mind a thought on this, but also does OPs' recommendation on microwaves still stand? Panasonics with Inverters?

Just had my current (maybe 7-10 years old?) microwave die kind of unprompted with a "pop" and it seemingly just being dead.

This question came up around the end of 2023 in the General Questions thread, and the Panasonic inverter microwaves were still the go-to suggestion then. I doubt much has changed in the last 3 months.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

I *think* it’s watts/cuft

I haven’t researched it but my tiny one cooks as fast as the big one at my sisters house

I *think* they do this so that microwave food instructions will be uniform

Edit ^^^^ I’m guessing there will be some variation between models/brands but I think watts/cuft is the industry standard target
Panasonic's webpage currently lists a bunch of microwaves.

1200 W@1.4 cu. ft. (857 w/ft^3)
1200 W@1.3 cu. ft. (923 w/ft^3)
1250 W@1.6 cu. ft. (781 w/ft^3)
1250 W@2.2 cu. ft. (568 w/ft^3)
1100 W@1.3 cu. ft. (846 w/ft^3)
1200 W@1.2 cu. ft. (1000 w/ft^3)

...and then more on another page I didn't bother to look at.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

alnilam posted:

I spent a while reading reviews and settled on the yosukata black carbon steel flat bottom wok. Serious Eats did a big review of flat bottom woks where they actually talk about the tests they did on them, which at least makes it a little more convincing than random paid promotion or machine generated garbage out there but who knows, maybe I've been fooled. I will let you know in a few weeks if I'm still happy with it, but for now I'm just passing on what I read.

It's still pretty heavy... not cast iron heavy but not light. But something light isn't going to take induction very well and isn't going to distribute heat very well either, so just make peace with the fact that anything good will probably be a bit heavy (maybe not cast iron heavy though)

First meal cooked on this new wok + new induction stove. I was very happy with it. I had expected to have to use the 6" or 8" burners and that they would only couple with that flat bottom part, but to my surprise the 13" burner was happy to couple with it and actually added some heat partway up the slope. The metal spread the heat around to the rest pretty nicely and for the first time since I used to have a gas stove, I really felt like the wok was doing what a wok should (okay not mega hot "wok hei" stuff but pretty drat good)

I make no claim that this is specific to the wok I bought, nor that it would perform the same with every induction cooktop, but I will say i was pleased with how the new system performed.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

They used to have an entire breed of dogs called turnspit dogs that would run on a wheel to turn meat on a spit

As cooking technology improved and there was no need for them anymore, they became extinct

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnspit_dog

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

mystes posted:

Yeah

Are you talking about the one in your refrigerator or a second one? Because I think chest freezers suck for your main freezer, because they're annoying for stuff isn't already fully frozen and sealed well, but for a second freezer that you're using for long term storage of stuff that's sealed well they work quite well.

I guess it depends how you use it though. If you don't vacuum seal stuff a chest freezer might be harder to use.

Been using a chest freezer as a main freezer since our main freezer broke because we can't decide on a new one and we thought a new one was expensive and decided to keep a look out for deals. But we've both kinda forgotten about it by now and we're just living like this for a year almost now :v:

It's not that bad, most of the stuff down there is frozen stuff like jams, berries and such harvested during the summer. While the stuff used more often is placed in holders higher up in the freezer.

I hate thinking about our need to buy a freezer so I'll repress it again now.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

They used to have an entire breed of dogs called turnspit dogs that would run on a wheel to turn meat on a spit

As cooking technology improved and there was no need for them anymore, they became extinct

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnspit_dog

We should bring them back.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

alnilam posted:

First meal cooked on this new wok + new induction stove. I was very happy with it. I had expected to have to use the 6" or 8" burners and that they would only couple with that flat bottom part, but to my surprise the 13" burner was happy to couple with it and actually added some heat partway up the slope. The metal spread the heat around to the rest pretty nicely and for the first time since I used to have a gas stove, I really felt like the wok was doing what a wok should (okay not mega hot "wok hei" stuff but pretty drat good)

I make no claim that this is specific to the wok I bought, nor that it would perform the same with every induction cooktop, but I will say i was pleased with how the new system performed.

Nice. I just read the entire Serious Eats review of that wok and think I'm gonna pick it up too. Did you do any additional seasoning of it when you got it?

Edit: did you get the 11.5" or the 13.5"?

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 17, 2024

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Sirotan posted:

Nice. I just read the entire Serious Eats review of that wok and think I'm gonna pick it up too. Did you do any additional seasoning of it when you got it?

Edit: did you get the 11.5" or the 13.5"?

The 13.5. and yes i washed and re-seasoned it as recommended. Also beware the serious eats article says the handle is removable, if a bit difficult, but the wok's manual says not to remove it. Still bet you could though. But just to be safe I seasoned it on the stove instead of the oven or grill.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

alnilam posted:

The 13.5. and yes i washed and re-seasoned it as recommended. Also beware the serious eats article says the handle is removable, if a bit difficult, but the wok's manual says not to remove it. Still bet you could though. But just to be safe I seasoned it on the stove instead of the oven or grill.

Very helpful, thank you. All I gotta decide now is whether or not to get it with a lid.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/azozenshop/status/1755442937129783798?s=46

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The knife my 3yo uses has one of those built into the sheath! Great device for accessibility / the young / the clumsy :3:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I was going to mock it, but yeah, I guess if you have a tremor it could be great.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

My kid uses one of those, despite all me efforts to teach them knife skills. Anxiety sucks.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

i have shaved my fingernails twice so while i still think it's kinda stupid, it's not as stupid as me cutting myself

i went and looked up pictures of it and i forgot that both times happened like within a week of each other. warning for the light of heart

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

On the bright side you’re doing a great job sharpening your knives.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My mom’s place only has blunt knives because she’s terrified she’ll cut herself. Honestly? So far it’s worked :shrug:

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

if you're willing to wait weeks for it to arrive, you could get that same knife protector for less than a buck on aliexpress

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

if you never cut yourself you'll never know what to do when you cut yourself

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

If you never cut yourself it means the blade's spirit grows increasingly thirsty for tribute in exchange for its use, becoming more dangerous over time.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Chemmy posted:

On the bright side you’re doing a great job sharpening your knives.

funny thing is that it didn't really hurt that much despite being gnarly. it's more just that its mildly uncomfortable for like two weeks. and kinda painful whenever i'd go to pick something up

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

What is this on my delitainers

It doesn’t scrub off

Is it micro cracks

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
It’s where the top of the food was when you microwaved it too long. It’s fine.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I’ve always wondered that too, makes sense. Just a bit of cavitation/very hot since that’s where it’s bubbling the most then.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Probably oil / fat floating on top of your leftovers hitting a much higher temperature than 212F if I had to guess

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

Probably oil / fat floating on top of your leftovers hitting a much higher temperature than 212F if I had to guess

yeah it's this. its why i now transfer a lot of stuff to a bowl before microwaving now.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

It's been established for a while that "microwave safe" plastic containers shouldn't really be microwaved

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Welp

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I didn't even think these things were microwave safe in the first place.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Honey wake up there’s a new dosa machine

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EHr-NFLaYaM&pp=ygUMRG9zYSBwcmludGVy

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
can't also make chocolate with it, 3/10

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Small home espresso machine? I introduced my co-workers to Cuban coladas, and we got to talking about coffee. That got me thinking about a new espresso machine. My old one died last year, and I never replaced it.

A quick note: I'd rather not use a Moka pot. I have an induction stove, which would necessitate a steel adapter. And I just don't have the skill to make a good espresso in that.

Can you recommend something based on this criteria? These are in order of importance.

-$200 or less. I know this severely limits my options
-Compact size. We have rather large drip coffee maker. I need something relatively compact.
-Attached milk steamer. I think(?) the steamed milk from a steam frother tastes better than those handheld motorized whisks.
-Available in the US (where I am)

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm a Flair devotee, so I only have secondhand info on pumped machines with steam wands.

The coffee thread has a hopelessly old OP, but it's very active so just post and I'm sure you'll get help soon!

Do you already have a grinder and kettle? What about a scale? Here's my small, end-game setup. It's way above your price range as-is, but if you already have a kettle and are willing to try a hand frother or French press method, then the cheapest Flair is $99 new or you can find one similar to mine for $200-250 on ebay. With this, you can easily upgrade components as you like. I started with the cheapest Flair and a hand frother, and fell down the :homebrew: rabbit hole once I saw I did enjoy it. As I upgraded, I went for ebay + sell my old kit, so it wasn't too bad at all, especially since now this is pulling shots on par with a $2,000 machine

Some "not steam wand" frothers:

https://youtu.be/q1mMPs4jH6s?si=biOC-9KjQyQSBzoR

https://youtu.be/WeNoDCWezls?si=zrPGCmMNPT9LUmsz

Going back to your original criteria, and going back to traditional pumped machines, the coffee thread again is your best bet. I think a used Gaggia fits the bill, but again that's just secondhand info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah i think the question in that price range will mostly be what tradeoffs are acceptable to you and how much work you want to do hunting down used stuff that's good deals. but yeah ask the coffee thread for more granular info

eke out fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 24, 2024