Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
I don't know why, but "When you're a billion year old clown you need a strong sense of whimsy" is really resonating with me. Or may it's just that it's Friday night, I'm a bit drunk, and it tickles me.

Also, I only just noticed that the floor pattern of the stage is the same as the Black and White Lodges from Twin Peaks. Keeping my eyes peeled for a dancing dwarf to come finger-snapping out from behind the curtain any panel now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Wyld Karde posted:

I don't know why, but "When you're a billion year old clown you need a strong sense of whimsy" is really resonating with me. Or may it's just that it's Friday night, I'm a bit drunk, and it tickles me.

Also, I only just noticed that the floor pattern of the stage is the same as the Black and White Lodges from Twin Peaks. Keeping my eyes peeled for a dancing dwarf to come finger-snapping out from behind the curtain any panel now.

SardonicTyrant posted:

That worm you like is going to come back in style.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

Teleporting Behind the Bastards.

...but Gog, you know who won't lock the world into an endless, futile cycle of nihilistic violence forever?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You know, I've just realized the Maybe Sword could actually kill Gog. She dies all the time!

Can I suggest "Gog, A Glock?"

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

It's pretty surprising how fragile her individual mortal shells seem to be, I wonder if she has any bulletproof superhuman selves.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Mr. Lobe posted:

It's pretty surprising how fragile her individual mortal shells seem to be, I wonder if she has any bulletproof superhuman selves.

She's bulletproof in the way the ocean or a galaxy is bulletproof.

paranoid randroid posted:

...but Gog, you know who won't lock the world into an endless, futile cycle of nihilistic violence forever?

Products and or sponsors!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

A.o.D. posted:

She's bulletproof in the way the ocean or a galaxy is bulletproof.

No doubt, but she might also have some shells with extra oomph among her ranks

Like those orb things

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Can I suggest "Gog, A Glock?"

Glock a Gog.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Mr. Lobe posted:

Like those orb things

Here's how I think it works: the keys manifest power via your will. For Gog to be bulletproof, she'd have to care about being hit by a bullet. I think the bigger shell in her arsenal is to drop a planet sized ball of flesh on something. If that doesn't work, then she can escalate up to galaxy or universe sized balls. If she encounters something that can tank a black hole, then maybe she'd get creative. It's not like she's one to care about the collateral damage

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I’m really hoping the next beat is Gog failing to realize that for Allison, this is the only world, and blithely going on about how it’s all meaningless and so all the awful poo poo she does is just what anyone would do in a time loop.

Because she knows what the world is and still does what she does, without even the excuse of Jagganoth that he’s trying to change it, or Mottom that she was afraid.

She’s just as culpable as any of them, with the completely pitiful justification of “I was bored.”

I hope Allison goes for the throat.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Joe Slowboat posted:

I’m really hoping the next beat is Gog failing to realize that for Allison, this is the only world, and blithely going on about how it’s all meaningless and so all the awful poo poo she does is just what anyone would do in a time loop.

Because she knows what the world is and still does what she does, without even the excuse of Jagganoth that he’s trying to change it, or Mottom that she was afraid.

She’s just as culpable as any of them, with the completely pitiful justification of “I was bored.”

I hope Allison goes for the throat.

If she's bored, I feel like eons of failure might have given her an understandable sense of learned helplessness

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

That’s Jadis’ thing.
Gog-Agog mostly turns people into worms.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Joe Slowboat posted:

That’s Jadis’ thing.
Gog-Agog mostly turns people into worms.

Jadis is aware of eons of failure but hasn't experienced it first hand

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
I'm waiting for the balcony guest to pounce.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Mr. Lobe posted:

I don't think her shells are fragile at all. We've seen her at different times walk off basically any damage she felt like, including: Mottom using the Art to P E R IS H her head and simply remanifesting it, getting her head blown off (by Mottom again) and comically fumbling at her stump, Allison punching her emissary into worm bits and having it reform at once, getting impaled by Jadis's Art and just goofing around on it. I think the only times it has seemed to matter in the least is if something actually obliterates the component worms and then she has to have the closest pile multiply back.

In this sequence her various bodies are dropping pretty much because she is making a show of it. She gets shot and dies because it's part of her bit, just like the neck-breaking fall. It's not actually clear to me that this entire set isn't just made of more and more worms, and Allison is basically sitting in a giant Gog puppet theatre that is being staged purely because Gog has gotten too bored and frustrated to do anything besides mess around to amuse herself.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mr. Lobe posted:

I mean she kinda is, Jagganoth hit her in the face with a beam and she reformed immediately.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I mean she kinda is, Jagganoth hit her in the face with a beam and she reformed immediately.

not only that, she reformed while the beam was still trained on her

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

So its basically part of the bit that she plays corpse with each of those selves, huh

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

You don't need indestructible pawns when you have infinite pawns on demand. You can't beat Gog in anything like a conventional fight, and she'd eventually beat anybody not named Jagganoth through attrition. She's strong the point where actually fighting is boring to her, so she uses her terrifyingly vast knowledge and power for the sake of amusing herself.

I'm pretty sure she only participated in the rumble with Jagg's war form because it was so far outside the usual script that she thought it would be interesting.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder if Gog is actively imitating things she knows Allison's culturally familiar with because she's been to her Earth (usually as it gets destroyed) many, many times over the loops. And all the other universes, opened in this one or not.

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Is it just me or Gog is much better "morphed" into a human right now?

Like previously all her features were far more exaggerated, even in breaker of infinities. Here she is looking much more like Allison. Reminds me of Delirium's "I can do it like you but I just don't want to" talk with Destiny from Sandman.

It's pretty clear this is a level of focus we've never seen from Gog before, as evidenced by her speech font.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

MikeJF posted:

I wonder if Gog is actively imitating things she knows Allison's culturally familiar with because she's been to her Earth (usually as it gets destroyed) many, many times over the loops. And all the other universes, opened in this one or not.

Or maybe we just imitate her because we're all already infected with her brain worms.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

A fun note: There's no evidence in the story that her worms form from anything other than people she wormed. All that biomass apparently comes from somewhere, given how much she seems to need biomass!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Mr. Lobe posted:

Like those orb things

Her instantiations have shrugged off bigger hits repeatedly through the comic, including a demiurge PERISH the very first time she appeared. Gogs die when it's funnier for them to die, which is frequently.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I assume Gog's earliest appearance is mostly down to figuring out the character. That being said, her describing herself as a whimsical billion-year-old clown means that she is eternally doing one bit or another just to keep from getting bored. Mad, faceless idiot god? Yeah she's got that in her deck. Not her favorite, but the Mass loves the hits.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Thyrork posted:

Well that final panel is the angry lefty energy I crave.

Bringing this post forwards onto page ACAB.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I assume Gog's earliest appearance is mostly down to figuring out the character. That being said, her describing herself as a whimsical billion-year-old clown means that she is eternally doing one bit or another just to keep from getting bored. Mad, faceless idiot god? Yeah she's got that in her deck. Not her favorite, but the Mass loves the hits.

It also quietly solves the question of "Why does she simply not try to overwhelm everything everywhere by force with Worms?"

She probably has, multiple times, and it's just bo-ring now.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Individual worms are pretty easy to kill, but she's got a lot of spares.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It also quietly solves the question of "Why does she simply not try to overwhelm everything everywhere by force with Worms?"

She has also heard the heir's reasons for want they want countless times too. She is genuinely curious to see if Allison says anything she hasn't heard before. Beating every bastard to death seems like it would have come up in the past.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It also explains why she's the multiversal media maven of the current cycle. At this point it's just showbiz, and this time central casting sent over a damsel with some range to her.

Donkringel posted:

She has also heard the heir's reasons for want they want countless times too. She is genuinely curious to see if Allison says anything she hasn't heard before. Beating every bastard to death seems like it would have come up in the past.

This exchange kind of solves the question of whether or not Allison was the intended heir this time. Gog Agog remembers that she isn't supposed to be the one, Jadis knew that she would be the one. What that amounts to remains to be seen.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 17, 2024

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Joe Slowboat posted:

A fun note: There's no evidence in the story that her worms form from anything other than people she wormed. All that biomass apparently comes from somewhere, given how much she seems to need biomass!

Being her is reaaaaaaaaaaaly fun!

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Feb 17, 2024

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Bilirubin posted:

This conversation feels like absolute proof that’s a big fat lie.
Become Gog-Agog! You’ll have a billion years of envy, depression, and selfish futility, but you’re good at putting on a fake smile about it!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

Gog's playing to an audience of one, ultimately. If a molecule of the Mass remembers, then all the Mass remembers. Jagganoth can't die, so he sort-of remembers

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Does Gog have multiple personalities who don't always get along? This whole bit of one aspect of Gog wanting to say something and another aspect telling the first to gently caress off reminds me of the different commentator Gogs during the tournament arc.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder if Gog ever tried to deal with the loops themselves, how far she got. If she ever had chats with Zoss or Metatron.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Joe Slowboat posted:

Become Gog-Agog! You’ll have a billion years of envy, depression, and selfish futility, but you’re good at putting on a fake smile about it!

Really is it though? Eat the worm, you'll see how pathetic Solomon David is, you'll see how venial and vicious Mottom is, what a walking corpse Mammon is, what a disgusting ineffectual creep Incubus is.

As for Jadis? She knows all the above, but the day she gets off her rear end and does anything remains to be seen

She's yet to find a solution for Jagganoth I guess, but that's the thing about the Mass. It remembers.

drat I love the direction abaddon went with gog agog

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

IMJack posted:

Does Gog have multiple personalities who don't always get along? This whole bit of one aspect of Gog wanting to say something and another aspect telling the first to gently caress off reminds me of the different commentator Gogs during the tournament arc.

I think this comes back to that author comment, "Gog Agog is pure kayfabe and will always commit to the bit."

If it's funny to have a talk-show-host character interrupt the dramatic dancer character mid-speech, well, she's going to commit to each of those personas and play things out. They may be both controlled by the same will, but if she steadfastly refuses to break character with either puppet, at a certain point it's probably easier for an outside actor to treat them that way. Like you'd address separate characters voiced by your DM based on what you think the DM's going for with that character, while keeping in mind that they're both fictional. (...If your DM never acknowledged OOC speech and refused to end the game session or let you leave. Maybe the analogy breaks down.)

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Feb 17, 2024

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gog's playing to an audience of one, ultimately. If a molecule of the Mass remembers, then all the Mass remembers. Jagganoth can't die, so he sort-of remembers

Jagganoth is a worn groove in the cycle of the universe. He always sit at the End as the arbiter and executioner of the Hero, and it's why those instincts/memories are strongest.

Jadis probably knows Everything, but only within the extant confine of the current Loop start-to-end, and probably assumes all Loops are identical.

It's only Gog Agog who actually has the closest to a full picture from across the thousands of Loops that have occurred.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I thought Jadis knows everything everything? Doesn’t she have omniscience?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Joe Slowboat posted:

Abbadon once described her as "samsara maxxing". Her endless memory is making her miserable but she still clings to it.

coolusername posted:

Jadis knows everything but it's on a more mystical level I think. She's completely in tune with causality. Gog has to physically store all of her memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

coolusername posted:

She's seen the wheel but we don't necessarily know whether she knows about the other turns. Some infinities are bigger than others.