Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Free the Artist is almost charming in its utter pointlessness and message to never trust artists, I think it should remain as-is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kraftwerk posted:

How do you guys play an evil character in this game. I find it extremely difficult to make those choices. Not sure I could deal with being a dark urge character.

Same. Although 'be evil for evil's sake does feel authentic to the people I used to know who had to run CE characters.'

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Snake Maze posted:

I don't think she has any reason for you to do it beyond "Praise the Absolute". It's probably one of the hardest choices to justify in-character, you pretty much just have to be an indulgent dark urge who likes killing people for its own sake.

Edit: I guess if you approach things the right way you can get her to agree to take you to Moonrise after the raid is over? Kind of finicky but you might be able to justify it for a more amoral character that way.

Devora Wilde (Lae'zel's actress) ended up betraying the Grove on her stream and in that case it was partly because she had already slaughtered a bunch of people there.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

Devora Wilde (Lae'zel's actress) ended up betraying the Grove on her stream and in that case it was partly because she had already slaughtered a bunch of people there.

What'd she do? Go into the kids' cave before getting the secret password so Mol sics everybody on you?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

This is one of the only games i've played where I love the combat. I look forward to fights. It's so satisfying to win. And the real chance you can get hosed up creates good tension.

But the puzzles are sucky and annoying.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

MeatRocket8 posted:

This is one of the only games i've played where I love the combat. I look forward to fights. It's so satisfying to win. And the real chance you can get hosed up creates good tension.

just wait until you try the firework store.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

MeatRocket8 posted:

Give Divinity Original Sin 1 a try after you're done, both the fights and puzzles are 10x dickier, for better and worse.

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023

Shard posted:

just wait until you try the firework store.

The solution is to cast fireball

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Finally beat this dumb game. It was my first time through and honour mode so I took no risks. left the hammer behind so turned Karlach into a mind flayer but ultimately sent gale to die. I couldn’t actually do what I wanted because of the hammer incident so I was kind of pissed haha

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Is it worth playing divinity original sin 1 or 2 after having played this? I had those games all along but never played them.

Last larian game I played was dragon commander and ego draconis.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I haven't played divinity 1, but I highly recommend the 2nd one.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Kraftwerk posted:

Is it worth playing divinity original sin 1 or 2 after having played this? I had those games all along but never played them.

Last larian game I played was dragon commander and ego draconis.

2 much more than 1 imo. Don't worry about continuity

But if you're committed to playing both, play 1 before 2, I think going to 1 after 2 would be something of a letdown

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Mr. Lobe posted:

2 much more than 1 imo. Don't worry about continuity

But if you're committed to playing both, play 1 before 2, I think going to 1 after 2 would be something of a letdown

And BG3 won’t somehow ruin that experience for me?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Kraftwerk posted:

I think I'd enjoy revisiting DOS2 but I've got no appetite for DOS1, I'll put it like that

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Kraftwerk posted:

The presentation is nowhere close to BG3 and the itemization in D:OS1&2 is much much worse, but the tactical combat in both games holds up pretty well. D:OS2's plot has its moments, mostly in the origin characters' beats. Lohse's finale is one of my favourite moments in any CRPG.

D:OS1 has the caveat that it is essentially a series of set pieces with a barely coherent (and over-verbose) "plot" and the difficulty falls apart in the final third before coming back for the finale. It also has way more complex/annoying puzzles than any of the other Larian games. It does have some of their best combat encounters if you've become a fan of how they design things and they're way harder there than in D:OS2 and BG3.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Well, they kinda sorta fixed Felogyr's Fireworks. I was able to fight the cultists and loot the corpses without being hassled. One guard did run inside to hassle my *zombies* specifically, though. I noticed they didn't leave the top floor, and when I switched back to one of them that was when the guard demanded a bribe, lol.

As for outside of the shop, well...

They just decided to chill there, rather than barging inside. I guess that's an improvement?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Since the new patch, shadowheart is just constantly sitting as soon as she stops moving. It's really funny

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The Glumslinger posted:

Since the new patch, shadowheart is just constantly sitting as soon as she stops moving. It's really funny

Relatable

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
OS1 is admittedly not very strong on actual plot, setting, or characterization but is pretty good in terms of Vibes. As far as combat goes, if your favourite thing about BG3 was using explosive barrels to set absolutely everything on fire or creating icy surfaces to make your enemies do pratfalls, you will have a good time. If not, well, get used to everything being on fire whether you want it to be or not. It's also not super long; I've got 46 hours in it and I think I saw pretty much everything.

OS2 has a lot more meat to it, with the characters and setting both giving you significantly more to engage with. The combat still frequently involves everything around you being on fire, although there are also more skills and spells to play around with if you prefer to go that way.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
This patch sounds late-lifecycle Division 2 levels of messy...?

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Medullah posted:

Lae'zel - "Oh, you sent me a present? I wonder what's in this box here let me just open it up and................IT'S PERFECT"

I chuckle sometimes in this thread but that made me laugh. Out loud. Thanks.

ZearothK posted:

Give Divinity Original Sin 1 a try after you're done, both the fights and puzzles are 10x dickier, for better and worse.

Counterpoint: Playing the first Divinity game after playing BG3 is going to leave you very frustrated and likely questioning how the same developer that made BG3 made such a silly, badly-designed game.

Edit:

Thuryl posted:

OS1 is admittedly not very strong on actual plot, setting, or characterization but is pretty good in terms of Vibes. As far as combat goes, if your favourite thing about BG3 was using explosive barrels to set absolutely everything on fire or creating icy surfaces to make your enemies do pratfalls, you will have a good time. If not, well, get used to everything being on fire whether you want it to be or not. It's also not super long; I've got 46 hours in it and I think I saw pretty much everything.

OS2 has a lot more meat to it, with the characters and setting both giving you significantly more to engage with. The combat still frequently involves everything around you being on fire, although there are also more skills and spells to play around with if you prefer to go that way.

Pretty much agree except for the "Vibe" part, because I found it ridiculous most of the time. But definitely agree that if you love barrels, you will probably enjoy D:OS1. Can't speak to D:OS2, because I didn't play it.

rojay fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 17, 2024

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Shumagorath posted:

I'm waiting on a hot fix before resuming

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

I'm not having an issues honestly. I've seen several improvements. And I think most of the issues are around people who had mods installed.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Shard posted:

I'm not having an issues honestly. I've seen several improvements. And I think most of the issues are around people who had mods installed.

I played for about 4 hours tonight and I had a few times where it froze exiting a conversation with a vendor for a few minutes, but I just took that as a sign to go pee.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I just saw something I never seen before. In that room with the three ogres with the one that's really smart. I went and looked at a bookshelf and there was an old school journal and when I looked at it it played a scene with Shadowheart where she freaked out. I think she might be from this village.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I ended up managing to enjoy DOS1 after several attempts by turning off all voice acting. The writing and VA work is awful and off-putting, with lots of 'zany humour'.

Kind of incredible that BG3 came from the same studio.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
I'm of the mind that D:OS 1 has much better combat than D:OS 2 because I hate the armor system in 2. The rest of the game has a lot less going on however.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

Does Minthara try to justify why attacking the druids and tieflings is good, actually? I think i've always just hit the "attack her" option

Brain Worms, in fact if you do it and hers gets disabled later she wonder ask you she had brain worms and it made her do it but WTF was your excuse.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there a functional mod that allows controller-like movement while using the keyboard and mouse?

EDIT: Nevermind, found one but it's outdated because of Patch 6.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Feb 17, 2024

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Jack Trades posted:

Is there a functional mod that allows controller-like movement while using the keyboard and mouse?

You're looking for WASD Character Movement, but it's probably not updated for Patch 6 yet, given Patch 6 just hit today.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
edit too slow

also in other bugs, Patch 6 hasn't fixed my constant crashes in the Poltergeist Mansion (thank god I can just avoid it, but it sucks)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does anyone know what happen when playing multiplayer and reaching Act 3 Temple of Bhaal, Orin encounter with a party than has a Dark Urge?
Will it always activate the Dark Urge version, or will it decide what even to play depending on which character walked into the event first, ignoring the fact that Dark Urge exists if someone else walks into it first?

Because so far, the game seems to be extremely happy to just ignore the fact that Dark Urge exists in our multiplayer campaign.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Is anyone else having issues using shovels since the patch? I've only tried it on one treasure location so far, but nothing happens. Have tried dropping the shovel, giving it to other party members etc, but nothing.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Is anyone else having issues using shovels since the patch? I've only tried it on one treasure location so far, but nothing happens. Have tried dropping the shovel, giving it to other party members etc, but nothing.

Are you by chance using it on the spot by the Kua-toa in the Underdark? That spot has been notoriously bugged basically since launch. It gets stuck on geometry without being pulled up and you have to highlight it and drag it to the surface manually.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
loading any save now gives me 5+ inspiration + associated xp for stuff I've already done, and i get a duplicate of the night spear

it's official: this game is jankier for me than cyberpunk was at release

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Monathin posted:

Are you by chance using it on the spot by the Kua-toa in the Underdark? That spot has been notoriously bugged basically since launch. It gets stuck on geometry without being pulled up and you have to highlight it and drag it to the surface manually.

It's the spot just outside the mausoleum in act 2, where you speak to Raphael.

I've since found a spot inside that is digable, so looks like it's just one dodgy location.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

LOL word to the wise the old “cast fog cloud and steal the rune from Rath” trick will now cause the entire grove to aggro you. Killed Kagha but now almost everyone is dead. Oh well, always wanted to try the forbidden Shadowheart x Minthara romance anyway.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Divinity 2 is what made me *not* buy BG3 until I had enormous amounts of endorsements saying that BG3 is very different from it.

The actioneconomy especially at lower levels is lovely, dialogue and story carrying is all over the place, and the first chapter is frankly awful.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

DOS2 is an all time classic, surpassed only recently by the 2023 CRPG “Baldur’s Gate III.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

DOS2 is an all time classic, surpassed only recently by the 2023 CRPG “Baldur’s Gate III.”

This and additionally I'll also argue that DOS2 has better combat system than BG3, by virtue of not being shackled to loving D&D, even if by a narrow margin.