Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The Bridge is a fun watch because of all the remakes.

I’ve been enjoying watching it but I’m probably missing a lot because I can’t tell the difference between the Swedes and the Danes and I’m not sure which country they are in half of the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The Sinner is like a dumber, schlockier True Detective but I enjoyed it anyway (well, season 2 and 3), mainly because of Bill Pullman's weirdly subdued performance as the introvert lead detective.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Deadite posted:

I’ve been enjoying watching it but I’m probably missing a lot because I can’t tell the difference between the Swedes and the Danes and I’m not sure which country they are in half of the time

Perhaps you'd enjoy the British/French remake with Stannis and an autistic blond or the U.S./Mexican version with Matthew Lillard and an autistic blond.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Origami Dali posted:

The Sinner is like a dumber, schlockier True Detective but I enjoyed it anyway (well, season 2 and 3), mainly because of Bill Pullman's weirdly subdued performance as the introvert lead detective.

....How Daryl Zero is he?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Monica Bellucci posted:

....How Daryl Zero is he?

poo poo, I'm glad you mentioned that, I've been meaning to check it out for years.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I’ve just spent the entire Saturday morning rewatching all the episodes of this show in an effort to figure out what in the hell it is about. What in the hell is going on. Making sure to pay attention to everything.

But it has only made things worse.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Origami Dali posted:

poo poo, I'm glad you mentioned that, I've been meaning to check it out for years.

You have it to look forward to, I am jealous. It also has an excellent meta joke concerning the plot.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Thank you for the recommendations everyone, I already enjoyed Broadchurch, The Killing, Deadloch, and Mare of Easttown. Of all the detectives in these shows I liked Joel Kinnaman of The Killing the most, he is the closest to a True Detective in my mind

Origami Dali posted:

The first season of The Sinner was some of the stupidest poo poo I have ever seen. Just a dogshit, idiot detective bumbling around with the prime suspect but it is played completely straight. It would have been better if they turned it all into a joke like Deadloch

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I expect the last episode to be shot in the style of a TV musical. If it isn't, then season 4 will be the turdiest season of True Detective

Danvers' hit song and dance scene should simply be titled, "gently caress"

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Monica Bellucci posted:

You have it to look forward to, I am jealous. It also has an excellent meta joke concerning the plot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcVph_23VIE

I quote this all the time. It's a great tragedy that the TV pilot wasn't picked up.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
I quote The Way of the Gun and lots of people think I'm a psycho. :(

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Search Party is great . It really, really goes places.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
She's hosed 2 people in the show? The teacher and the police chief guy.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
and the mine owners husband

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme
re: the cinematography, I noticed there's no stars visible in the sky anywhere, despite Rust in S1 emphasizing how great the night sky in Alaska looks. In fact I think it was the only thing he liked there. I kinda wonder if they originally meant to add them in post, to make it look like the Alaskan night sky. Either way that and the flat lighting imo contributes to the feeling that it was shot on a sound stage, even though it wasn't.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Has there been any aurora in the show?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Its really hard to capture both the characters and the nightsky in the same light

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
the light ain't winning

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
bite country

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

State of Play rules, absolutely worth a watch.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Mare of Easttown is good, but I'd go season one of Broadchurch over many I've seen.

Yeah, season one of Broadchurch is excellent. Just don't expect it to be anywhere near indicative of the quality of anything else the showunner/writer has made before or since :sigh:

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
I hated the ending of Broadchurch S1, felt like it turned into pure schlock. Watched 1 ep of S2 and checked out :shrug:

I liked Mare of Easttown a lot though, it really captured a vibe, moreso than this show is trying to with its dumb pointing ghosts

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I'm rewatching TD season one and gently caress almighty is it ever engaging. Like I've seen it a bunch of times now and obviously its reputation is sterling so it's entirely old news how great it is, but it catches me by surprise every single time with how hard it is to not just immediately start playing the next episode. Even if it's fuckin' two in the morning and I need sleep.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I always thought Broadchurch was twice chewed cud; a bunch of cliches of UK police procedurals (of which there are a truly staggering number) given a glow up by casting and a decent soundtrack. It's very mediocre.

Compare with Happy Valley, which occasionally trends this way, but is rendered incredibly watchable by Sarah Lancaster's insanely good performance as a human steamroller. She's just so loving tired of running people over, guys, stopping making her run people over.

Or even something like In The Dark, which crafts this fascinating character arc for its alcoholic, emotionally manipulative lead. When she becomes certain that the drug dealer behind her apartment has been murdered, she takes increasingly self-destructive plays in order to prove her case to the cops, her friends, literally any human being who'll listen, resulting in the complete collapse of all their worlds. There's nothing comparable in Broadchurch, it's all bitty, the characters are mostly static or they do all the typical cliched things.

Murder In Small Town X (to, uh, coin a phrase) just doesn't do it for me, I guess. Broadchurch is Twin Peaks if Twin Peaks didn't have the parody, the supernatural, the camp, the surrealist horror... it's kitchen sink drama, but so far from the greats in the genre that it might as well be patio furniture drama.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 18, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

koolkal posted:

I hated the ending of Broadchurch S1, felt like it turned into pure schlock. Watched 1 ep of S2 and checked out :shrug:

I liked Mare of Easttown a lot though, it really captured a vibe, moreso than this show is trying to with its dumb pointing ghosts

Mare of Easttown felt to me like the American adaptation of Broadchurch that should have been, as opposed to Gracepoint which looked bad enough I didn't watch it, though ironically it seems the "twist" they added to their version of the show was the same twist that Mare of Easttown did, but the latter felt pretty solid while my understanding is the former was roundly mocked?

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

IMO this show is a really good example of rushed pacing. As others have pointed out, some of the plotlines (kid cop's marriage, the nomads living in the camp, etc) just haven't been given the room they need to be impactful. The show could have really benefitted from 2 more episodes, and a lot more introspection.

I think it would have been way better to have episode 1 start during the original case back when the two main characters were partners, discovering the body, getting utterly stonewalled, having the case get closed, pressure from the company, and then the second episode could be the episode 1 we got where everyone is weirdly aggressive and hate each other. There would have been less weird vibes for unexplained reasons- which maybe is what they wanted, I dunno- but the story would have certainly flowed better.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Matinee posted:

The uncanny feeling in the dialogue and general detached air of the characters is so distractingly present that it feels like it has to be deliberate, like they’re reaching for a Twin Peaks kind of vibe, but none of it works and it just makes the show unfun to watch.
Oh yeah, I mentioned that after the first episode, this has a David Lynch vibe. How long until someone watches Twin Peaks and says it sounds like it was written by an AI. :v:

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Have we seen a single detective in this season of True Detective? Either plain clothes police or a PI?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Origami Dali posted:

the light ain't winning

The viewers aren't either.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

CeeJee posted:

Have we seen a single detective in this season of True Detective? Either plain clothes police or a PI?
Throughout the season I try to find spots of the show to say "...that's because I'm a True Detective" or "...you're not a True Detective" and in this latest episode, I got to say it at least 4 times. I'd say Danvers is currently the most True Detective despite dipping when she decided to give up on the case because her "boss" told her to stop. Peter is the next in line because he out-detectived Danvers.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I want to make a True Detective board game or pencil & paper system. Without any of the characters or locations or tropes.

Just so people will debate whether it's truly a TD game or only has the name stamped on it.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Disco Elysium is basically True Detective: The Game

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023
You ask me, The Pale's winning

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The fight is winning.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

DaveKap posted:

Oh yeah, I mentioned that after the first episode, this has a David Lynch vibe. How long until someone watches Twin Peaks and says it sounds like it was written by an AI. :v:

Never because David Lynch is an actual filmmaker with a real pov and makes exactly what he sets out to make. Also season 4 is nothing like Lynch. In fact the season closest to David Lynch is actually season 2. Vince Vaughn feels exactly like a David Lynch character.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Toaster Beef posted:

I'm rewatching TD season one and gently caress almighty is it ever engaging. Like I've seen it a bunch of times now and obviously its reputation is sterling so it's entirely old news how great it is, but it catches me by surprise every single time with how hard it is to not just immediately start playing the next episode. Even if it's fuckin' two in the morning and I need sleep.

I always enjoyed the extended car rides and how the conversations evolved as time went on. You start with Marty basically saying to Rust...STFU, you are insulting our culture...to nodding his head sagely a few episodes later maybe realizing the insomniac-quasi-junkie does actually have a few nuggets of wisdom.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

The_Rob posted:

Vince Vaughn

that puffy motherfucker?!

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
What should I do if I'm meh on the actual work of the real David Lynch, just just bad attempts to be Lynchian? Just throw myself in the garbage?

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
You don't like The Straight Story? Dune?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Rob posted:

Vince Vaughn feels exactly like a David Lynch character.

To me he felt more like somebody trying to ape a David Milch written character. Some actors can pull that off, but even then it needs the right setting and most of the other actors to talk/act in the same way, and I wasn't feeling it in any respect for Vaughn's character. I don't know how much of that was Nic Pizzolatto's writing and how much was Vaughn's acting, but given they've both done other things I've enjoyed, maybe it was just the combination?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Speaking of good season long mystery shows, the second season of Max's Tokyo Vice has been very good so far. But the entire show is basically one mystery so far, so it's not a good idea to jump in partway through. Still, I recommend it.