Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I'm fine doing housekeeping and lawn care in exchange for $100/month rent. Childcare too, if I need to get a granny-nanny gig, which has also crossed my mind in a pinch.

I don't think I've adequately conveyed how earth-shattering it was to have been homeless nearing my 60th bday, especially since it was due to poo poo beyond my control (except maybe for trusting those I shouldn't have trusted). Things have gotten better since then, but I've also gotten older, and I have no family left, so when the money runs out so do I.

eta: this isn't a pity play; I'm perfectly fine going to lie down in the forest when it's my time. :angel:

Willa Rogers has issued a correction as of 03:41 on Feb 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

dta

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

I'm fine doing housekeeping and lawn care in exchange for $100/month rent. Childcare too, if I need to get a granny-nanny gig, which has also crossed my mind in a pinch.

I don't think I've adequately conveyed how earth-shattering it was to have been homeless nearing my 60th bday, especially since it was due to poo poo beyond my control (except maybe for trusting those I shouldn't have trusted). Things have gotten better since then, but I've also gotten older, and I have no family left, so when the money runs out so do I.

eta: this isn't a pity play; I'm perfectly fine going to lie down in the forest when it's my time. :angel:

it could be worse, at least you dont live in the soviet union or communist chyna :downs:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/MrBeast/status/1758642415567819019?s=20

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

he's gonna run

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Dang, what a philanthropist

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

quote:

BOURNE, Mass. —Massachusetts couple facing threat of eviction from mobile home park over handicapped ramp

A Massachusetts property manager is taking steps to evict a woman living with an aggressive form of brain cancer after her husband had a wheelchair ramp installed to help her get in and out of their Cape Cod home.

George Frigon now spends most of his time caring for his wife Phyllis, who has glioblastoma, which is one of the deadliest and most aggressive forms of brain cancer.

"After the second day of the heavy dose of chemo she had no response," Frigon said. "She couldn't lift her hand."

"Can you describe for me what the last few months have been like as you're taking care of your wife?" 5 Investigates' Brittany Johnson asked him.

"Turmoil," Frigon replied. "My mind is racing. I don't know what to do. I don't need this hassle, you know."

The hassle Frigon is talking about is over a temporary wheelchair ramp that he hired a contractor to install outside of their home-- a mobile home in The Park at Pocasset mobile home community.

Phyllis needs a wheelchair to get around because of her cancer and aggressive chemotherapy.

"If I didn't have the ramp, I would have to call the rescue squad, which I've had to do already because I took her (Phyllis) out, and she fell getting in the car," Frigon explained.

How did we get here?

The Frigon's own their mobile home but they do not own the land that it sits on.

The land is owned by The Charles W. Austin Trust, and Phil Austin is the property manager.

Phil Austin sent the Frigons a 30-day notice to Quit, a legal document and a first step in an eviction process, which informs a tenant they have 30 days to leave.
There's also another legal fight involving Frigon and other tenants trying to block the sale of the mobile home park to a private company.

Frigon and others wonder if the eviction threat is connected, something Austin's attorneys denied.
rip willa

wodner what will happen when every mobile home park is bought out by chuck schumer and other private equity ghouls

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Systemic Risk Concerns Grow Among Money Managers as Real Estate Woes Cause Turmoil
US CRE, China real estate most likely sources of credit event
Latest inflation figures have lowered likelihood of rate cuts

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-02-17/systemic-risk-concerns-grow-among-fund-managers-amid-real-estate-tremors

quote:

Fears of a systemic credit event are growing among fund managers as alarms sound in property markets around the world.

About one in six of those polled considers such a crunch to be the biggest tail risk facing markets, compared to about one in 11 in December, according to Bank of America Corp.’s latest Global Fund Manager survey. The deepening disquiet in US commercial real estate and Chinese property markets means it’s now the third-biggest worry for respondents, lagging higher inflation and geopolitics.

Hopes that the Federal Reserve would cut interest rates and alleviate some of the pressure on real estate were dented by stronger-than-expected inflation numbers this week. Traders are now wagering on less than 90 basis points of cuts this year — almost half of what was expected in January. Meanwhile, more than $900 billion of debt on US commercial and multifamily real estate will require refinancing or property sales this year — a 40% jump from an earlier estimate — after banks extended loans among other factors, and as building values fall.

Smaller banks seem to be on a trajectory toward 8-10% default rates in their CRE loan books, warned Bruce Richards, Chairman of Marathon Asset Management, in a LinkedIn post this week. Those lenders are particularly vulnerable to the downturn in CRE after ramping up their exposure in recent years. By contrast, bigger banks “are as strong as the Rock of Gibraltar,” Richards said by phone.

A 10% default rate on CRE loans would result in about $80 billion of additional bank losses, according to a research paper on US bank fragility published in December. The paper warns that CRE distress could leave more than 300 mainly smaller regional banks at risk of solvency runs.

“We will continue to see upticking levels of distress,” said Omar Eltorai, director of research at data provider Altus Group. “It’s one of those variables that people can call early but there’s a delay before it passes through,” he said, adding that this can sometimes be measured in years.

Click here to read a charticle about the CRE debt crisis

For now, the Fed is coordinating with lenders with concentrated CRE exposure on a plan to work through expected losses. While the losses are a concern, US regulators are trying to ensure that loan-loss reserves and liquidity levels are adequate to cope, Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen said earlier this month.

Still, nearly 40% of fund managers see US CRE as the most likely source of a credit event, the BofA survey found, with a further 22% seeing Chinese real estate as the biggest threat. The survey took place from Feb. 2 to 8, just days after New York Community Bancorp slashed its dividend and stockpiled reserves, in part because of weakness in the office and multifamily markets.

Read More: NYCB’s Talks With Watchdog Led to Moves That Rocked Market

The turmoil has since spread to German lenders with exposure to US CRE. Bonds of Deutsche Pfandbriefbank AG fell further into distressed territory on Thursday after S&P Global Ratings downgraded the bank, citing its high exposure to the beleaguered market.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

RadiRoot posted:

getting a visit by the fbi isn’t so bad lol. seriously

CIA are the real fuckheads/dead eyed psychos. FBI are just cops with a wider jurisdiction.

Willa Rogers posted:

Jesus bro.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/SomeBitchIIKnow/status/1748372726635491460?t=_AjB13ldLxXCpH549M1JKg&s=19

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

who's the nerdling in glasses claiming that trump will win from inside prison?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Willa Rogers posted:

This seems like the appropriate time for 'goonbucks' or wever its called

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Joey Steel posted:

CIA are the real fuckheads/dead eyed psychos. FBI are just cops with a wider jurisdiction.

Yeah, CIA will force you to put tens of thousands in a shoebox and give it to them.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Fuligin posted:

This seems like the appropriate time for 'goonbucks' or wever its called

I'm ok now; I'm just thinking ahead 10 yrs bc of ptsd from having been thru the hard times.

Friends on another forum raised $2500 for me back during the hard times & it got me thru to the other side. I've given some dough here & there back to that particular mutual-aid fund, and I wish I could do more, as well as give to the goon fund too. Every day I see migrants with cardboard signs begging for change in front of groceries & it hurts my heart but also makes me count my blessings; I almost cried when I gave my aldi cart to a migrant yesterday & he seemed grateful for that drat quarter after I'd finished shopping.

I do consider myself fortunate in many ways, being surrounded by great friends (which is why I moved back to IL), and having good health & an under-market rental, as well as having learned to live within my means plenty of times since I started supporting myself at 17. In many ways, I'm happier & more content with my life than I was when I earned $100k for that one brief year, and that's more important to me than anything else.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Joey Steel posted:

Narrower, really

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Ur a good poster willa. Keep on posting on

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
we will all be in Willa’s shoes soon enough. just let me pick out a good spot in the forest and I’ll be happy.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Willa Rogers posted:

the last time I started getting scared about being old & poor I came across silvernest.com, in which olds offer to share their homes with other olds, and sometimes their listings look cool, like this one:

https://www.silvernest.com/room-for-rent/il/glenview/24878

lookit this cabin in the middle of nowhere, wisconsin, for only $100/month. It's gotta be a scam, right?

https://www.silvernest.com/room-for-rent/wi/brodhead/35102

I know someone who was involved in something like this, there was no direct rent paid, but there was a contract for so many hours of "work" a week that ended up being mostly cooking and some light cleaning. I think the kind of work expected was spelled out explicitly in the contract.

It worked out well, for both parties; they liked each other and got along. There was some friction years later because the renter was older too and started having their own issues, and the home owner had to hire home care for themselves and as we have seen in this thread eventually the money runs out and now the home must be sold for the owner's care and the renter has nowhere to go (yet, but they get months notice by the contract so there is time and theyre getting help with the agency that helped them before).

It's real poo poo now though for the both of them. But I think it was a good deal that lasted years, but that was entirely dependent on the match. The relationship or finances couldve been such that the renter could've lost their room much earlier, like to get someone else more physically capable of helping out when things started to go south.

Fuligin posted:

Ur a good poster willa. Keep on posting on

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

Narrower, really

They only pursue crimes that they are staging themselves for entrapment purposes.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Joey Steel posted:

thinking one type of horrific secret police is somehow less evil than another (albeit more domestic) type of secret police is

..its.

... it's just par for the course for this forum, honestly:colbert:

BornAPoorBlkChild has issued a correction as of 07:27 on Feb 18, 2024

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

thinking one type of horrific secret police is somehow less evil than another (albeit more domestic) type of secret police is

..its.

... it's just par for the course for this forum, honestly:colbert:

:nsa:

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

yep

is there anywhere besides being dead that doesn’t have someone doing that?

i am harry has issued a correction as of 08:01 on Feb 18, 2024

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

DaysBefore posted:

Smytheh....

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Rexicon1 posted:

we will all be in Willa’s shoes soon enough. just let me pick out a good spot in the forest and I’ll be happy.

Sorry to say but theres no forest left. It's all walmart parking lots now and if you try to lay down there to die, the police arrest you.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

timothy snyder again?!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

GrunkleStalin
Aug 13, 2021

PlushCow posted:

I know someone who was involved in something like this, there was no direct rent paid, but there was a contract for so many hours of "work" a week that ended up being mostly cooking and some light cleaning. I think the kind of work expected was spelled out explicitly in the contract.

I think the Netherlands has something like this for students/young adults. Greatly discounted rent for living with the elderly and helping around the house.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I think I would rather die in the street like a diseased dog than have to live with some demented old person.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Biplane posted:

Sorry to say but theres no forest left. It's all walmart parking lots now and if you try to lay down there to die, the police arrest you.

I figure I'll either be able to retire or I'll die hunting down the 1%. I see no middle ground.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

anonumos posted:

I figure I'll either be able to retire or I'll die hunting down the 1%. I see no middle ground.

Becoming an honorable and noble freedom fighter in my old age, bombing landlords and assassinating billionaires, does sound loving awesome.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Biplane posted:

Becoming an honorable and noble freedom fighter in my old age, bombing landlords and assassinating billionaires, does sound loving awesome.

Better than breaking a hip running from mall cops.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Biplane posted:

I think I would rather die in the street like a diseased dog than have to live with some demented old person.

misanthropy FTL

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Biplane posted:

your monitor

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Rexicon1 posted:

sorry all the forests are gonna burn down

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

Biplane posted:

inner ring suburbanite alarm is ringing off the hook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The advice it gave is nearly the opposite of the static page,

Which makes me think, Air Canada could have saved themselves a lot of trouble by just using the webpage.

The article actually points out that Air Canada spent far more on their AI initiative than they spend on human customer service reps, and that's a theme you're going to see repeated over and over and over again. It's the same poo poo I end up thinking when I read about Reddit trying to sell its "content" to AI firms.

To even come close to doing it correctly you're going to need humans to classify large quantities of that data and you absolutely cannot just have another model do it for you, especially if you're building a chatbot that's going to have human end users and that needs to provide correct information. The latter approach is where all the money is going and it's starting to fail in ways that are going to be legally costly.

These models are stupidly costly in a variety of different ways and right now everyone is spending ludicrous amounts of money chasing the idea that eventually it will all be automated and you can just dump your company's data into a model and you'll get some undefined result that will surely somehow justify your investment. Harvesting garbage data like Reddit posts will just make the situation even worse.