Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

if i remember right you need 3000-4000 rp for each section of the bar.
theres 20ish? outposts split between 3 areas. so i THINK you can do all the outposts without ever triggering story progression. you can do most if not all of them only triggering one story progression in each area for sure cause thats what i did last time i played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Also you’re not forced to engage in the final progression mission of the area you’re in. They spare you of the sleepy bullet with that one.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

One of the areas story missions is probably the worst ive seen in any FC though. The others are all typical FC story mission poo poo but this one area all 3 story missions are the same time trial thing just with more enemies each time and different weapons.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It's just kind of obnoxious, I think. I remember when the game came out it was the main thing people were complaining about. Just gets on the nerves.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Volte posted:

Have you tried becoming the wall and moving it

:sbahj:
:perfect:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Orv posted:

The ability for a bunch of dudes with magic tranq guns to kidnap you out of literally any vehicle or no matter how well you try to fight them off is why it feels so terrible.

This includes somehow being shot with a tranq dart while flying a plane thousands of feet in the air. The cult full of Charles Manson-looking drug addicts also has the most skilled snipers in existence.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My most lasting memory of FC5 was being abducted midair while piloting a single-seat airplane to listen to another 10-minute villain monologue.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I tried out the Pacfic Drive demo and got incredibly carsick hahahah

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Azran posted:

Is either of the Odyssey DLC good?

Never, ever, ever play the Legacy of the First Blade DLC. Just trust me, avoid it like the plague.

John Murdoch posted:

The first one, Legacy of the Blade I think its called? Is the infamous "your big strong lesbian asskicker wants to settle down and have a baby with some random dude" one. And even beyond that garbage it's pretty dull.

Even worse, they actually do give you the option multiple times for Kassandra to say,"Yeah I'm not interested." "No, I don't have romantic feelings for you." "No, I don't want you to stay here with me." and after all that Milhouse will finally gently caress off. At which point Kassandra says,"Hmm, I should go take another look at the house," so you go there at which point a cutscene immediately plays where Milhouse comes back and cutscene Kassandra goes,"Actually yeah I'm hopelessly in love with you let's get married and have kids, which as a woman is of course my only goal" at which point an achievement (since edited) called "Growing up" would kick in.

Words can't express how much I hated that whole stupid loving thing and I wish I had known before I played it that I should have just never touched it or just avoided that one house for the rest of the game after getting the dud to gently caress off.

Edit: The Atlantis DLC is very good, however, and notable for the fact that Kassandra meets a bunch of people she cared for in the afterlife and the dud isn't anywhere to be seen.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I hope it was at least a nice wedding

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I hope it was at least a nice wedding

None of Kassandra's family could attend because they're all dead. Doesn't matter if they're all actually alive and actively working for Kassandra on her boat, the DLC decides for you that they're dead and that Kassandra desperately misses them and wishes she could be married and have a baby and then she'd give up that whole silly vengeance quest she's on because now she's happy cooking, cleaning and living in a little village. Her ship and entire crew are just.... gone until like a year or so later when you need them back and then they just exist again.

I really, really hate that DLC, in case I was being too subtle.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Person 1: "Odyssey is like pretty good, I guess, and really really really long."
Person 2: "How about the DLC?"

The length is 10/10 but the game is 8/10 so you probably won't get there anyway.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I like first person open world games so I have a weakness for Far Cry games but 5 was the worst of the whole series. The non numbered games are the best (Blood Dragon, Primal, New Dawn, whatever the Avatar one is called) though I haven’t played 6. I assumed it would have some weird pro CIA/contras/whatever poo poo.

They really should stop having those games set in real places. If they don’t want the settings to be too fantastical they should do Ace Combat style and just make it a completely nonsensical version of the world

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

They should do a Far Cry on like a tropical island, with mercs and mutants and poo poo

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Jerusalem posted:

Never, ever, ever play the Legacy of the First Blade DLC. Just trust me, avoid it like the plague.

Even worse, they actually do give you the option multiple times for Kassandra to say,"Yeah I'm not interested." "No, I don't have romantic feelings for you." "No, I don't want you to stay here with me." and after all that Milhouse will finally gently caress off. At which point Kassandra says,"Hmm, I should go take another look at the house," so you go there at which point a cutscene immediately plays where Milhouse comes back and cutscene Kassandra goes,"Actually yeah I'm hopelessly in love with you let's get married and have kids, which as a woman is of course my only goal" at which point an achievement (since edited) called "Growing up" would kick in.

Words can't express how much I hated that whole stupid loving thing and I wish I had known before I played it that I should have just never touched it or just avoided that one house for the rest of the game after getting the dud to gently caress off.

Edit: The Atlantis DLC is very good, however, and notable for the fact that Kassandra meets a bunch of people she cared for in the afterlife and the dud isn't anywhere to be seen.

As an addendum I would at least play Legacy up to the part where you get the greek fire for your ship cause it owns and basically trivializes the naval combat.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Cross-posting from beat a game thread:

FutureCop posted:

Recently beat Azure Striker Gunvolt! Steam review below:

A pretty neat Megaman-ish experience with all the usual parts you'd expect like great boss fights and dashing/walljumping around great levels, but with an innovative twist to its typical straightforward run-n-gun combat with the tagging system, where you can tag multiple enemies with darts and then shock them with homing electricity while being able to move around and dodge as you like during!

While I enjoyed myself, I'll admit that I had a bit of a rough first impression with this:

*The visual noise and clutter is high in this game, which makes it difficult to parse and can lead to what feels like a lot of cheap deaths. You've got a camera so zoomed-in you can barely see a few steps ahead of you, an appropriately named "flash"field which covers so much of the screen with flashy electricity sparks, and you've got constant dialogue on the bottom of the screen which not only covers part of the screen but splits you attention as you want to learn what's going on.

*The difficulty can be wildly different depending on how you approach the game. If you just play it for the story, the game gives you too many tools that allow you to just brute force past all enemy and boss mechanics, which can easily make you unsatisfied since the combat doesn't get a chance to show its unique appeal. If you try to embrace the scoring system, you'll get to see the full extents of the combat system and its appeal, but at the same time it can be rather frustrating and require so much trial-and-error and memorization of stage/enemy layouts to dodge what feels like cheap traps due to the aforementioned issues above.

*The localization is rather strange. I played it on English (Japanese Voice Mode) at first and found it good, and I'd recommend you stick with that. But, I was wondering if there was an English Voice Mode instead, so I switched to just English, where I was disappointed to find that not only was there no english voices, meaning I'd have to split my attention to read the characters dialogue during gameplay no matter what, but the script was completely different, filled with totally wacky words and phrases, like some sort of joke script you'd unlock as a bonus, not something most people will mistakenly treat as the intended experience.

*Story felt like a bit of a downer and unsatisfying, even after getting the True Ending. I don't need everything to be sunshine and rainbows, but man, it just felt like it left too much hanging and nothing got accomplished. Maybe the sequel will resolve it?

In spite of the rough stuff above, I still enjoyed my experience very much and grew addicted to rerunning stages to go for higher ranks. Looking forward to playing the rest of the series!

In other news, I'm currently in the midst of trying out Atomic Heart.

I was really hesitant to try this due to all the negative reviews I've seen for this. My first impression was also pretty rough: while the game looks pretty, there is a lot of jank to the gamefeel where loads of mechanics aren't explained properly while others are overexplained, the areas don't feel playtested well with obtrusive geometry, unintuitive pathing and badly timed events, and I don't know why they made the decision to stick you with such a terribly sluggish starting melee weapon. In a way it reminded me of my impression of Jedi Fallen Order: that weird juxtaposition of high fidelity presentation with janky gameplay.

However, I've actually been getting quite addicted to the game and having fun. While the initial combat was laborious, I just took it as a bit of survival horror appeal where the disempowerment is intentional, and now that I have replaced the slow starting axe with a fast scrap sword, everything flows nicely. Definitely giving me that Bioshock 2 appeal where I love juggling all of the weapons in one-hand and abilities in the other to handle whatever situation comes up in creative ways. I'm a bit worried that eventually the other shoe will drop, but if it does, I got a decent experience while it lasted. I'm already kind of feeling like that might happen since the combat is getting a bit less survival horror as now I have loads of ammo reserves, so I'm not as inclined to get creative, but maybe it'll step it up to compensate.

I'll admit, though, that it might be unfair since I came to Atomic Heart in the right mindset based on warnings from reviews. For example, I'm using the Russian dub to avoid the obnoxious main character voice, and I know to try and just move quickly through the outdoor segments instead of trying to kill everything or disable the security system as they're a waste of time. Perhaps the game has also been patched since then as well, since the enemies don't feel as spongy as I was warned about?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Odyssey can be like a 300 hour game and 90% is side content and randomly generated stuff. If you are into that it's awesome but you probably won't finish it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FutureCop posted:

Cross-posting from beat a game thread:

In other news, I'm currently in the midst of trying out Atomic Heart.

I was really hesitant to try this due to all the negative reviews I've seen for this. My first impression was also pretty rough: while the game looks pretty, there is a lot of jank to the gamefeel where loads of mechanics aren't explained properly while others are overexplained, the areas don't feel playtested well with obtrusive geometry, unintuitive pathing and badly timed events, and I don't know why they made the decision to stick you with such a terribly sluggish starting melee weapon. In a way it reminded me of my impression of Jedi Fallen Order: that weird juxtaposition of high fidelity presentation with janky gameplay.

However, I've actually been getting quite addicted to the game and having fun. While the initial combat was laborious, I just took it as a bit of survival horror appeal where the disempowerment is intentional, and now that I have replaced the slow starting axe with a fast scrap sword, everything flows nicely. Definitely giving me that Bioshock 2 appeal where I love juggling all of the weapons in one-hand and abilities in the other to handle whatever situation comes up in creative ways. I'm a bit worried that eventually the other shoe will drop, but if it does, I got a decent experience while it lasted. I'm already kind of feeling like that might happen since the combat is getting a bit less survival horror as now I have loads of ammo reserves, so I'm not as inclined to get creative, but maybe it'll step it up to compensate.

I'll admit, though, that it might be unfair since I came to Atomic Heart in the right mindset based on warnings from reviews. For example, I'm using the Russian dub to avoid the obnoxious main character voice, and I know to try and just move quickly through the outdoor segments instead of trying to kill everything or disable the security system as they're a waste of time. Perhaps the game has also been patched since then as well, since the enemies don't feel as spongy as I was warned about?
I liked Atomic Heart, and think it gets a bit overhated (and overscrutinized by social media), but I will say that there didn't feel like there was much of a point to the open world and the game would've been better served keeping it either linear or expanding the facilities to be larger and have more of a Metroidvania structure. It's got some fun setpieces and gorgeous art direction.

Personally the dub actor grew on me since he was basically a not-Steve Blum trying to be bitter but also bewildered at everything happening.

Very awkwardly horny game, though, like a guy that shows up to a party and makes jokes assuming everyone's into the same kinks as him

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Really don't care for AC, yet played and loved 99% of Odyssey, the remaining 1% being the modern day poo poo and the Legacy DLC. It can't be overstated how bad that DLC is. The one taking you through the mythological locations however is cool, and I'm going to stop here before going on too much about the giant authoritarian ladies of Elysium because...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's almost impressive just how boring, lame and frustrating the modern day story elements of Assassin's Creed have managed to remain from the first game to the last (Odyssey, I never played Valhalla because the beta testers in Epic reported it was really bad) and I really wish they would just abandon them entirely. Here's how they can explain it so it makes sense how we're now just playing as these characters in the past without explanation, as well as explain why we're no longer getting the modern day storyline:

Nobody will care.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Jerusalem posted:

It's almost impressive just how boring, lame and frustrating the modern day story elements of Assassin's Creed have managed to remain from the first game to the last (Odyssey, I never played Valhalla because the beta testers in Epic reported it was really bad) and I really wish they would just abandon them entirely. Here's how they can explain it so it makes sense how we're now just playing as these characters in the past without explanation, as well as explain why we're no longer getting the modern day storyline:

Nobody will care.

They don't even need to explain it, as the modern day elements have almost completely disappeared from the games at this point.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Has they ever even bothered progressing the overarching modern day plot in AssCreed at all?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Has they ever even bothered progressing the overarching modern day plot in AssCreed at all?

My memory is that nothing happened at all for like 5-6 games, then the "main" character died by stopping the sun from exploding(???) by... turning some dials? Then they had some incredibly annoying "quippy" guy make a few appearances and ruin the history write-ups for the sites and people you see in the past, then some boring lady was chosen by Kassandra to replace her as an immortal after Kassandra had lived for like 4000 years, in the desperate hope that people would be tricked by a cool character's presence into thinking the lame character was cool.

Spoiled for something that happens to a character people actually care about (so not one of the modern day ones).

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

They don't even need to explain it, as the modern day elements have almost completely disappeared from the games at this point.

?

the modern plot is front and center, Mirage is the prequel to Valhalla, and both have the ultimate goal in justifiying a new modern protagonist

he suuuuuuucks

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
man, RE8 suddenly changing gears from a silly slapstick comedy about ethan getting hosed up by literally everyone and everything, into a big baby in a basement horror game, really got me. i was spooked as hell.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
[ethan walks past a shop window] huh, mia's favourite cheese is on sale [he slips and crashes through the window, severing every artery in his body]

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jerusalem posted:

Nobody will care.

the one in Rogue is mindbendingly awful, like you have a fun piratical prologue then some pencilneck jumps in and just starts yelling at you lol, like the game is actively angry at you for playing it i can't understand why they thought that was a good idea.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

In Black Flag the bad guy in the modern storyline keeps mocking you for "wanting to play your little pirate game" and... that's the game, man. That's literally what this game is!

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008

Foul Fowl posted:

man, RE8 suddenly changing gears from a silly slapstick comedy about ethan getting hosed up by literally everyone and everything, into a big baby in a basement horror game, really got me. i was spooked as hell.

All the remakes are very VERY good imo. I even enjoyed RE3. I grew up not playing the games (just missed that window), but knowing about them because everyone online talks about them - but went back to playing them after playing the remakes, and maybe it's just me, but the remakes are amazing.

Capcom have done a really good job of revitalizing the RE franchise.

I got RE4 in the last sale and looking forward to playing that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I still have to play the RE3 remake, but 2's remake was incredible, loved playing that.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I will always prefer the original games, because I’m an old crank incapable of moving on, but I think they did a fantastic job with the RE remakes. They absolutely did lose some things along the way, but as modern interpretations of those experiences, I thought they did a fantastic job.

They look amazing, play really well, are accessible, tell their stories well without being bogged down, have lots of fun things to see and do on repeat play throughs..

2 and 4 stand up to anything else released in gaming over the past 5-10 years, and personally I really enjoyed 3 for what it was.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Goa Tse-tung posted:

?

the modern plot is front and center, Mirage is the prequel to Valhalla, and both have the ultimate goal in justifiying a new modern protagonist

he suuuuuuucks

Did you play the early games? You were constantly dipping back into the real world for extended mission sequences. By the latest ones, you get a tiny handful of short, nothing missions in the modern day, with occasional voice-overs from Shawn commenting on something.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I like the meta narrative stuff in the newer games and would be disappointed if the games suddenly dropped it so there were no longer any spooky precursor temples, weird artifacts, and other weirdness.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I liked the modern stuff in concept, but boy was the execution a whiff. I miss assassination corridors though

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Max Wilco posted:

Anyone here try the Tomb Raider I-III Remaster? I have the original versions on GOG (in fact, I have TR1 installed), but I considered getting the remaster just so I wouldn't have to mess around with tweaking the old version to run in a higher resolution. It sounds like there's a few little tweaks to the games overall (saw there was an option for a modern control scheme, but I was able to run through the first level of the game fine on the old version).

I've been meaning to play through the Tomb Raider series for a couple of years now, but I keep putting it off.

EDIT: Looks like it comes with the expansions for each game, which I don't think are included by default on the GOG version (at least not with TR1)

A few pages back but I immediately refunded it.

I'd never played the originals and wanted to give them a go with the modern controls, but they're still garbage.

I decided I had much better things to do than wrestle with annoyances like that for 3 games.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I was the idiot that bought the deluxe edition of AC Origins for the DLC then never played the DLC after finishing the main story... back in 2018 :negative:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the DLC was p good

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

Foul Fowl posted:

[ethan walks past a shop window] huh, mia's favourite cheese is on sale [he slips and crashes through the window, severing every artery in his body]

Nothing a little club soda first aid juice won't fix

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

a toaster does not bake

it toasts

it's in the god drat name :tizzy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I enjoyed the new RE games, but Ethan is a massive weak point. I genuinely wonder what the thinking was in making the protagonist such a characterless nonentity. Perhaps they ran focus groups and 'Ethan' is the average of the demographics they're trying to hit.