Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

fits my needs posted:

https://x.com/opinion/status/1759211653818642471?s=20

Remember 9/11? Republicans Blocking Ukraine Aid Apparently Don’t

America has committed many errors of commission, such as Vietnam, but errors of omission have led to bigger wars and more deaths.

Oh no we've forced Russia to go into a war economy and now they are developing their army in a way we cant counter because we convinced the world to fight at our level (small "mobile high speed low drag combat brigades") and now that myth is shattering.

Cao Ni Ma has issued a correction as of 14:56 on Feb 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

DancingShade posted:

At least one good thing came out of the past couple years - more lord of the rings / 40k references than harry potter ones.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/jurgen_nauditt/status/1759115508014596136?s=19

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1759203476435874062?s=20

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

fits my needs posted:

America has committed many errors of commission, such as Vietnam, but errors of omission have led to bigger wars and more deaths.

These dead-eyed liberal foreign policy psychos like Hal Brands are so much more dangerous than people like Trump or Tucker

They're trying desperately to get the world war with Russia and China they want and yet act all surprised about escalating tensions and other nations building military power and alliances

gently caress the lot of em, ghouls

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Admittedly, I don't think Russia would actually intervene outside the borders of the Soviet Union (exempting the Baltic states) but if Ukraine/Belarus falls under their political control. It is going to be very difficult for them not to completely dominate the rest of it (including the Caucasus).

It is a pretty giant loss for the West though and it really remains to be seen how much European NATO is actually interested in standing up to its commitments considering the way things are going (especially with Trump).

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I am sure this will make a tremendous difference

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Sounds treasonous to the Danish state to me but oh well.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Oh no we've forced Russia to go into a war economy and now they are developing their army in a way we cant counter because we convinced the world to fight at our level (small "mobile high speed low drag combat brigades") and now that myth is shattering.

it would be pretty funny if they double down, send all their artillery to ukraine and go all in on mass drone warfare

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Ardennes posted:

Admittedly, I don't think Russia would actually intervene outside the borders of the Soviet Union (exempting the Baltic states) but if Ukraine/Belarus falls under their political control. It is going to be very difficult for them not to completely dominate the rest of it (including the Caucasus).

It is a pretty giant loss for the West though and it really remains to be seen how much European NATO is actually interested in standing up to its commitments considering the way things are going (especially with Trump).

Central Asia too? political influence, sure, especially in Kazakhstan, but I doubt those would ever be puppet states. not least because Russia invading those countries is just not going to happen

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Orange Devil posted:

A Von Manstein -esque victory huh? Remind me again how many wars Von Manstein won?

This is the part that perhaps irrationally loving irks me about the loving nazi rehabilitation the most. The nazis were and are loving losers. This isn't hard-nosed tough-choice realism where we have to do what needs to be done blabla gently caress your dumb comic book morality. These assholes lost. All the goddamn time. Got their entire goddamn countries laid to ruin and ash. Germany then had food shortages that amounted to a low-key goddamn famine for two entire loving years, causing a nearly 50% increase in 70+ mortality rates (then again who gives a poo poo about dead nazis?) and double infant mortality rates compared to the rest of Europe until 1948 (this actually matters, the babies weren't nazis).

It's the most loser loving ideology in the entirety of human history.

same

and i've seen this before, it's the same narative for the confederacy. down to being unrepentantly evil and bad at governing, but our maneuvers and political grandpas. i don't think the big machine labeled 'brutal racism' ever really gets dismantled under liberalism, i think it's saved for a rainy day

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Blaisedell posted:

"Adolf calling Hentai. Adolf calling Hentai! N*****, I repeat N*****."

(Morse code: -. .. --. --. . .-. )

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

fits my needs posted:

Weird that they said 'but' instead of 'and those'

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Central Asia too? political influence, sure, especially in Kazakhstan, but I doubt those would ever be puppet states. not least because Russia invading those countries is just not going to happen

Kazakhstan may eventually be on the list, and I don't think the Chinese would challenge them, but they seemed to calm down after it was clear the Russians were going to win and it would be serious. Otherwise, I don't think they would intervene elsewhere besides Moldova and Azerbaijan/Armenia. That said, an large military gives you leverage.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Kazakhstan is belt and road fan number one, I think they'll continue to drift closer to china

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

i say swears online posted:

Kazakhstan is belt and road fan number one, I think they'll continue to drift closer to china

China would rather have them under Russian control than under Western influence. It doesn't seem like the Chinese would upset the apple cart over Kazakhstan either.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i mean, pure economic realities will pull both central asia and russia itself firmly into china's sphere of influence eventually, so no need to start a fight over what will be yours anyway

Cerebral Bore has issued a correction as of 15:30 on Feb 18, 2024

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

Everything is well in Ukraine, and it is stronger and more united than ever.

Source: Guardian UK

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/feb/18/shock-anger-and-war-fatigue-ukraines-two-years-of-agony

Shock, anger and war fatigue: Ukraine’s two years of agony
Shaun Walker
Sun 18 Feb 2024 09.00 GMT

... a weary 39-year-old soldier, who wished to be known only by his callsign, Titushko, spoke about the problems of fighting the Russians amid a serious ammunition shortage...

... In November, Titushko’s men, part of an artillery division in Ukraine’s First Tank Brigade, received a supply of about 300 shells every 10 days, but they now have a firing limit of just 10 a day...

... Along the frontline, Ukraine is on the defensive, short of ammunition and soldiers...

... He (Titushko) spent half of January this year back at home – his first break from the front for more than a year, giving much-needed respite from the nightly artillery and air attacks, the winter cold, and the giant rats that make life in the trenches hard to bear.

But instead of finding the experience rejuvenating, Titushko found the sight of civilians enjoying a semblance of normal life in cafes and restaurants difficult to stomach, and the questions they asked when they saw his uniform to be irritating...

.. He looked around at life back home, and wondered why the men he saw on the streets were not with him, at the front...

... “Mobilisation is unpopular in society. The self-preservation instinct, the understanding that the war is going to drag on – nobody wants to risk the lives of their close ones,” said the Kyiv-based political analyst Volodymyr Fesenko...

... There is also the question of how well newly mobilised soldiers can fight. An army source said plans were under way to increase the training period from one month to two, but this is still not long to prepare for trench warfare...

... In the third year of the war, the domestic political scene may also fracture. The unity of the first year has been steadily dissolving over recent months, with political opponents of Zelenskiy becoming increasingly vocal and a sense that politics has returned...

... there is concern that Zelenskiy has not found a new way of ruling after the initial period of consolidation, in order to bring more people into the tent.

“There are only two people who make decisions in this country,” said another diplomat, referring to Zelenskiy and his chief of staff, Andriy Yermak...

... fighting on indefinitely is also hardly sustainable. “If we can survive the next year, then we will probably be forced to negotiate some kind of ceasefire,” said Fesenko.

For many at the front, agreeing to a fragile and imperfect peace would be an unthinkable concession after the efforts and losses of the last two years. At the frontline, Titushko said the thought of returning home to peaceful life once more, only to be called up again when Russia recommenced hostilities, was too much to bear...

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Looking it up Denmark already gave all of their 155mm artillery pieces last year. They have 15 120mm pieces they can give.

Although articles say they're giving all of their artillery ammunition. Unknown amount.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Lmao, now that they're losers they're Nazis again

probably a clear sign the end is nigh for ukraine, western media are cleaning their hands

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

OhFunny posted:

Looking it up Denmark already gave all of their 155mm artillery pieces last year. They have 15 120mm pieces they can give.

Although articles say they're giving all of their artillery ammunition. Unknown amount.

when they don’t give numbers, you know it’s a marketing stunt.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Its possible that they really are giving all of their artillery and ammo to ukraine, and that this amounts to one howitzer and eight shells

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
hey Hal what did the USA do to Imperial Japan in the 1930s

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018
What the hell does Denmark need artillery for in the first place? Their ancient enemies, Germany and Sweden, don't seem likely to invade. The English maybe?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Grimnarsson posted:

What the hell does Denmark need artillery for in the first place? Their ancient enemies, Germany and Sweden, don't seem likely to invade. The English maybe?

in theory all the nations in nato are supposed to contribute to the common defense

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

fits my needs posted:

Our stumbling intervention led directly to the creation of al-Qaeda, and it was Soviet Russia that warned most strongly against the rise the Nazi Germany.

Endless-sceaming.mp4

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lol

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

It's like a Hong Kong kung fu film where the bad guys rush the protagonist one at a time

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Slava-Oh: The Story Of Ukraini.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

If Russia is so severely weakened that it, in whole or in part, becomes a de-facto Chinese vassal state, the combination of Russian nuclear warheads and Chinese delivery systems becomes a synergistic existential threat to the entire rest of the world.

The frog boiling is not cowardice, it is providing as many offroads as possible before Russia implodes itself and gets eaten by its neighbor.

China has not been shy about hegemonizing economically and politically weak nations, lately.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Now that Ukraine has both of Denmark's artillery pieces, the ork will soon be driven back

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Neither a borrower nor a lender be;

For loan oft loses both itself and friend,

And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.

This above all: to thine own self be true,

And it must follow, as the night the day,

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

fizziester posted:

Ukraine's Defence Intelligence reveals that its officers secured corridor for Ukrainian soldiers leaving Avdiivka

Special forces of DIU, as part of Ukraine's Security and Defence Forces, defended the last road from Avdiivka for a week,

You know, a cynical person might worry about the internal security ministry's forces blocking securing the route broken troops had to retreat through.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

PhilippAchtel posted:

It's like a Hong Kong kung fu film where the bad guys rush the protagonist one at a time

Big Trouble in Krivyi Rih

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Harris is 5’ 2”

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Orange Devil posted:

Here's my paper:

The US doesn't engage in alliance relationships. The US engages in vassal relationships, which by their nature are one-sided in creating obligations for the vassal, and benefits for the overlord, but not the other way around. The US calling these vassal relationships alliance relationships is propaganda.

That's it. That's my paper. Somebody give me a loving PhD in international relations because I understand this poo poo better than most professors in the field.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

... there is concern that Zelenskiy has not found a new way of ruling after the initial period of consolidation, in order to bring more people into the tent

jfc

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Dokapon Findom posted:

I just frame it from my own perspective which is I love my fake country but I also hate nazis and if my fake country is run by real nazis then it being destroyed is a good thing

I do low key feel kinda bad for the Croatian poster who discovered the process of creating a Croatian identity was the exact same as creating a Ruthenian one, at the same time, and for the same reasons. And we didn't even discuss what Political Croatians got up to during the war. Or the anticommunist movement of Political Croatians, who immigrated to Australia "for some reason", had outsize political influence, and were allowed to create a national identity after 1991, with what I would argue were predictable results.

But yeah, most of us live in fake countries that were created as part of great power politics between 1700-1848. Belgium, obviously, is pretty high on that list, but the French hexagon is a similarly artificial construction.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

So BAE is still not producing new guns...Nexter Systems has like a 10 year backlog of orders to fill, Bofors is way behind on ARCHER orders.

They didn't just give away their entire artillery arm temporarily, they gave it away for ... lol who the gently caress knows?

I was going to say this is going to severely gently caress their training pipeline and promotion schedule (what do you do with 2 regiments of gunners with no equipment?) but then I read that the Danish military is a disorganized joke that does this sort of thing regularly since 1991:

The Danish Artillery Regiment (DAR, Danish: Danske Artilleriregiment) is an artillery unit of the Royal Danish Army, which was founded on 1 November 2005 when the two artillery regiments in Denmark, King's Artillery Regiment and Queen's Artillery Regiment were merged. The unit was disbanded in 2014 and revived in 2019.

:psyduck:

Orange Devil posted:

Sounds treasonous to the Danish state to me but oh well.

Also, yeah. Someone walk me through the neoliberal mindset because this is loving... phew.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 16:37 on Feb 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I do low key feel kinda bad for the Croatian poster who discovered the process of creating a Croatian identity was the exact same as creating a Ruthenian one, at the same time, and for the same reasons. And we didn't even discuss what Political Croatians got up to during the war. Or the anticommunist movement of Political Croatians, who immigrated to Australia "for some reason", had outsize political influence, and were allowed to create a national identity after 1991, with what I would argue were predictable results.

But yeah, most of us live in fake countries that were created as part of great power politics between 1700-1848. Belgium, obviously, is pretty high on that list, but the French hexagon is a similarly artificial construction.

My favorite political-identity development going on right now is in France, in that France is always presented as indivisible, including all the overseas parts, except France is currently discussing going from Jus Soli to Jus Sanguinis for Mayotte because of immigration.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/2/14/why-is-france-revoking-birthright-citizenship-in-mayotte

Not so indivisible after all, honhonhon?