Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
defending a road and inflicting colossal losses on my enemies ftw

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
avdiivka was gay and strategically unimportant, never cared about it. also we killed all the orcs and depleted them so really it was a big win

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

CODChimera posted:

its become very apparent that the vast majority of commentators have very little knowledge or understanding of Ukraine, Russia, the cold war, ww2 or really anything at all

Coming to the understanding that the political pundits who populate news and current affairs programmes, confidently wibbling on about the issues of the day, have got their jobs precisely because they don't have the faintest idea what they're talking about, was an important step in my political development.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

quote:

Adiivdka sounds like it is beyond a pyrrhic victory if there was such a thing as the casualties sound immense. And no Russia can't keep doing this over and over.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

*Russia continues to do this over and over*

Ah, well, nevertheless

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

The337th posted:

*Russia continues to do this over and over*

Ah, well, nevertheless

If Russia is really taking such monstrous losses, how can they possibly be on the advance? Ah well, best not to think about it :downs:

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

fizziester posted:

Source: Ukrainska Pravda

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2024/02/17/7442369/

Most troops have left Avdiivka, no large-scale capture of Ukrainian soldiers – 3rd Separate Assault Brigade – video
KATERYNA TYSHCHENKO — SATURDAY, 17 FEBRUARY 2024, 20:53

Source:

Oleksandr Borodin, press officer of the 3rd Separate Assault Brigade of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, on the Ukrainska Pravda project UP.Summary; 3rd Separate Assault Brigade on Telegram

Quote:

"We have now retreated to our prepared positions...

I do not know of any people who are encircled. There are just a few more steps that need to be taken, but the logistics are working, everything is fine."

Source: Guardian UK

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/feb/17/volodymyr-zelenskiy-pleads-for-more-arms-as-frontline-ukrainian-city-falls

Volodymyr Zelenskiy pleads for more arms as frontline Ukrainian city falls
Shaun Walker in Dnipro, Patrick Wintour in Munich and Andrew Roth
Sat 17 Feb 2024 19.25 GMT

... Soldiers involved in the retreat painted a chaotic picture of risky and terrifying withdrawal, in which they were sometimes forced to leave wounded behind. A top army commander wrote on the messaging service Telegram that “a certain number of Ukrainian servicemen” were taken prisoner during the retreat.

Viktor Biliak, a soldier with the 110th Brigade, described earlier in the week how he and others had left a garrison in the south of Avdiivka. “There was zero visibility outside,” he wrote on Instagram. “It was just plain survival. A kilometre across a field. A group of blind cats led by a drone. Enemy artillery. The road to Avdiivka is littered with our corpses.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

fits my needs posted:

https://x.com/BusinessInsider/status/1759055325871661531?s=20

The crack Ukrainian assault brigade sent to launch counterattacks around Avdiivka has a murky past

Ukraine's 3rd Separate Assault Brigade is supporting the withdrawal from the city of Avdiivka.
The battle-hardened unit has a contentious political history.
It emerged from a brigade linked to far-right groups and neo-Nazism.

technically Pervitin isn't crack, it's meth

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

fits my needs posted:

https://x.com/BusinessInsider/status/1759055325871661531?s=20

The crack Ukrainian assault brigade sent to launch counterattacks around Avdiivka has a murky past

Ukraine's 3rd Separate Assault Brigade is supporting the withdrawal from the city of Avdiivka.
The battle-hardened unit has a contentious political history.
It emerged from a brigade linked to far-right groups and neo-Nazism.

are we back to patch spotting again

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
look how tired he got kicking my rear end, what a loser

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pistol_Pete posted:

If Russia is really taking such monstrous losses, how can they possibly be on the advance? Ah well, best not to think about it :downs:

Favorable respawn rate.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/dril/status/460673146451161088

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Danann posted:

The Ukrainian Counteroffensive expanded universe.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Pistol_Pete posted:

"The irredentist (evil) ork (pejorative) Muscovite (evil) troika (pejorative) does not care about orkpower losses and will trade orks (pejorative) for territory in order to advance their irredentist (evil) goals. The Muscovite (evil) ork (pejorative) troika (pejorative) can and will kidnap more subjugated non-Muscovite orks (pejorative) from the non-Muscovite country-side to fight Gondor (good)."

quote:

The problem at the end of the day that even if Russia has something like 150k KIA right now, Putin and the military leadership would be completely fine with that number increasing to 1.5mil if it has to. They just don't care, they'd send the elderly and children to the front if they have to.

quote:

They won't, but they still have several million unemployed (or under-employer) men who are either deep in debt on micro-credits, or paying alimony, and have no way to escape recruitment, b/c they are in federal databases.

Their primary mobilization bottleneck is logistics, b/c they don't have enough facilities and junior officers to form new units and provide basic refresher training for people who've been out of the army for 15-25 years.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

post navalny every single sent in “letter” to the bbc’s “flagship” politics program which was read out this morning was a variation on either “we need to double down on ukraine” or “we need to cut russia off permanently and give all its seized assets to ukraine”

so even if ukraine loses all its territory and becomes a little rump state of galacia, the west expects to get its money back that way

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

"The irredentist (evil) ork (pejorative) Muscovite (evil) troika (pejorative) does not care about orkpower losses and will trade orks (pejorative) for territory in order to advance their irredentist (evil) goals. The Muscovite (evil) ork (pejorative) troika (pejorative) can and will kidnap more subjugated non-Muscovite orks (pejorative) from the non-Muscovite country-side to fight Gondor (good)."

both of these posters are wrong, Russia doesn't have any men left they've all died or fled the country. It's just women and bundles of stacked children in trenchcoats

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
putler sent in all the babushkas to conquer... unbelievable. his whole rear end is showing rn

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
the ukrainians are losing to elderly and children?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
At least one good thing came out of the past couple years - more lord of the rings / 40k references than harry potter ones.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

fits my needs posted:

Russia is, apparently, sending their best

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fits my needs posted:

All those tattoos really slow them down due to the extra drag. Like the opposite of red go-faster stripes.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

DancingShade posted:

At least one good thing came out of the past couple years - more lord of the rings / 40k references than harry potter ones.

Putin is Voldemort

Zelensky is Dobby

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1758869204080447992?s=20

quote:

I met with Vice President of the United States Kamala Harris
@VP

I am grateful for the United States' vital support and leadership, which helped rally the world and withstand Russian attacks.

We must continue to stand together, Ukraine, America, and all of our partners.

We must continue to contribute to the much-needed security, achieve joint results, strengthen our resilience and resistance to Russian aggression, and demonstrate to Putin every day that his hatred of people and freedom will never defeat our unity—the unity of the free world.

🇺🇦🇺🇸

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

"Adolf calling Hentai. Adolf calling Hentai! N*****, I repeat N*****."

Blaisedell has issued a correction as of 12:47 on Feb 18, 2024

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

You should probably edit that post!

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Danann posted:

Listening to the Blowback podcasts and I'm currently on season 1 so far. Putin is in fact more humanitarian in his conduct because it's self evident that Ukrainian cities aren't suffering from complete electricity shutdown and still have running water and other services. In comparison the Americans deliberately destroyed basically all of Iraq's electricity production and with it all the necessary civilian services when they weren't bombing baby food factories and bomb shelters full of people.

Oh and yeah Israel is being Israel at the moment. So yeah Putin is less monsterous then the Americans and Israel but since it harshes the vibes therefore it must be Russian disinformation that uses materialist measurements like electricity and working hospitals, sewage treatment, running water etc. in lieu of vibes from posters.

That's whataboutism, OP :mad:

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

my bony fealty posted:

You should probably edit that post!

I added quotation marks!

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

dk2m posted:

it was the tankies warning everyone that America would eventually gently caress ukraine over lmao, they still someway find a way to blame Russia

what will these people do once they realize that most of our aid and weapons came in the form of debt that Ukraine has no way to pay back?

really is wild how much of our propaganda is just taken at face value

Yeah, everything went down precisely as the left predicted, but somehow the liberals who pushed this project share none of the blame. It's all Russia and the GOP, neither of which endorsed the Ukrainian or NATO actions which led us here.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

lol

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

my bony fealty posted:

what is it about Russia that makes liberals so loving deranged

China, too. Or any nation or faction that defies Western supremacy.

Imperialist propaganda is a helluva drug

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

No loving poo poo. Hello liberals, welcome back to reality.

Coming back to the poo poo we call 2024 is gonna be hard on people that had been living in a marvel world for 2022-2023. Gonna be waking up, turning over in bed and immediately spotting the receipt for a cash donation to literal nazis.

One thing Orwell nailed was the pliability of perception due to constant media exposure.

People will just forget and deny they supported any of this.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n-UGQcG3Jw

I think the joke works better when it also includes the setup and not just the punchline :)

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jel Shaker posted:

post navalny every single sent in “letter” to the bbc’s “flagship” politics program which was read out this morning was a variation on either “we need to double down on ukraine” or “we need to cut russia off permanently and give all its seized assets to ukraine”

so even if ukraine loses all its territory and becomes a little rump state of galacia, the west expects to get its money back that way

that's just the olds that want all the youths sent off to die

they're getting loving hype at the thought of ww3

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

come on!!!!

a lot of the specific objections to "prevailing research design" on this literature seem basically fine to me, but laying it out like this really is giving away the game a bit

Here's my paper:

The US doesn't engage in alliance relationships. The US engages in vassal relationships, which by their nature are one-sided in creating obligations for the vassal, and benefits for the overlord, but not the other way around. The US calling these vassal relationships alliance relationships is propaganda.

That's it. That's my paper. Somebody give me a loving PhD in international relations because I understand this poo poo better than most professors in the field.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

A Von Manstein -esque victory huh? Remind me again how many wars Von Manstein won?

This is the part that perhaps irrationally loving irks me about the loving nazi rehabilitation the most. The nazis were and are loving losers. This isn't hard-nosed tough-choice realism where we have to do what needs to be done blabla gently caress your dumb comic book morality. These assholes lost. All the goddamn time. Got their entire goddamn countries laid to ruin and ash. Germany then had food shortages that amounted to a low-key goddamn famine for two entire loving years, causing a nearly 50% increase in 70+ mortality rates (then again who gives a poo poo about dead nazis?) and double infant mortality rates compared to the rest of Europe until 1948 (this actually matters, the babies weren't nazis).

It's the most loser loving ideology in the entirety of human history.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 13:41 on Feb 18, 2024

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

this motherfucker stole my call sign!!

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

V. Illych L. posted:

i had someone tell me that the russian invasion of ukraine was an act of unprovoked aggression the likes of which the world hasn't seen since ww2 once and i'm pretty sure i got visibly angry

I just frame it from my own perspective which is I love my fake country but I also hate nazis and if my fake country is run by real nazis then it being destroyed is a good thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/opinion/status/1759211653818642471?s=20

Remember 9/11? Republicans Blocking Ukraine Aid Apparently Don’t

America has committed many errors of commission, such as Vietnam, but errors of omission have led to bigger wars and more deaths.