Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

D.Fuzzbot posted:

Okay innately on PC no, you'd have to install 7th Heaven mod manager which has shortcuts for speedup, no battles and even skip fmv.

Also install the 60/30 FPS mods and set it to 30FPS if you want Tifa's reels to be usable.

If you want invincibility just install the "Gameplay Tweaks" mod and it has invincibility in there.

I got this a while ago just to install that cool mod that puts the og concept art as textures over battle sprites. It's pretty painless, though I never got it to run right on my deck, which would be amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The A. I. Upscaled stuff is actually pretty impressive.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

Shoehead posted:

I got this a while ago just to install that cool mod that puts the og concept art as textures over battle sprites. It's pretty painless, though I never got it to run right on my deck, which would be amazing

Someone made an installer for the Deck which I did for my recent playthrough of A New Threat and it worked flawlessly.
https://github.com/dotaxis/7thDeck

Just on 7th heaven mods, FFNx should be able to display in widescreen and you can rotate the camera in battles with the right stick. One problem is the battle menu is still in the same spot as the original and obscures a lot. The mod to fix that is "Compact Battle UI" and it'll reposition it properly.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah wrong thread but on the AI upscale talk, the mogiri mod for ff9 is fuckin wild

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
I have come to the realisation that maybe I don't like Crisis Core at all

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

D.Fuzzbot posted:

Someone made an installer for the Deck which I did for my recent playthrough of A New Threat and it worked flawlessly.
https://github.com/dotaxis/7thDeck

Just on 7th heaven mods, FFNx should be able to display in widescreen and you can rotate the camera in battles with the right stick. One problem is the battle menu is still in the same spot as the original and obscures a lot. The mod to fix that is "Compact Battle UI" and it'll reposition it properly.

thanks for posting this! i was wondering if it would be possible to get mods working on the Deck

one question-- for whatever reason the installer didn't create a steam entry for 7th heaven, but i assume i'll still need need to create one manually if i want to run mods from steamOS. is that the case, or do i only need to run 7th heaven for mod configuration?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

People always talk about how good the 7th heaven mods are, but it's really wild that you can't play the game in japanese with it. I guess that would be my feature request

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

stuker posted:

thanks for posting this! i was wondering if it would be possible to get mods working on the Deck

one question-- for whatever reason the installer didn't create a steam entry for 7th heaven, but i assume I'll still need need to create one manually if i want to run mods from steamOS. is that the case, or do i only need to run 7th heaven for mod configuration?

You have to run 7th Heaven for the mods not just the config. It should have at least added the application that you can add to steam from desktop mode.

No Mods No Masters posted:

People always talk about how good the 7th heaven mods are, but it's really wild that you can't play the game in japanese with it. I guess that would be my feature request

There was an effort by one modder to add the Japanese translation but I think it was dropped. Considering 7th Heaven is just a mod manager I wouldn't really put it on them to translate it.

I forgot in Crisis Core Genesis attacked during the Nibelheim section. I've forgotten so much about Crisis Core.

Cloud: "and then all these red haired clones attacked while quoting the loveless play. "
Barret: "Who?"
Tifa: "Just ignore it"

Aerith: " I wonder what happened to that Metal Dog with the human face on it"

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Right now I am really steamed that I won’t be able to afford a ps5 before the game comes out on oc anyway.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

D.Fuzzbot posted:

You have to run 7th Heaven for the mods not just the config. It should have at least added the application that you can add to steam from desktop mode.

gotcha, well-- easy enough solution, thanks again!

agreed with the folks praising the upscale mods, i've been less than impressed with upscaling on other media but PSX-era stuff really seems like a perfect use case for where the tech is at right now

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm excited to try the new demo Wednesday (I think that's when it's released?).

I'm mainly curious to see what performance is like in the big open areas, plus whatever improvements they made that affect the first demo's performance mode.

Really looking forward to this game, since I remember so little from FF7 beyond the broadest plot strokes (I've only ever played the original once, when I was a teenager). I remember certain places, but nothing about what happens in each one.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Apparently folks have early copies now. I imagine the internet will be a minefield of spoilers over the next 10 days

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I made the mistake of not preordering the deluxe edition earlier and now I might have to get a measly plastic case at launch. The shame

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

necrotic posted:

I made the mistake of not preordering the deluxe edition earlier and now I might have to get a measly plastic case at launch. The shame

They still make physical media?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Aerith's VA is streaming the demo

https://twitch.tv/thestrangerebel

https://clips.twitch.tv/TalentedGrossMushroomSwiftRage-7HWuJ3W_EQAan3lq

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 20, 2024

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

God, Bri's so adorable. I love it when voice actors stream stuff they've been in like this, it's so fun.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
Anyone have her reaction to Cait Sith on hand? I tried looking for it a while ago but had no luck.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I don’t know if this helps anyone but people genuinely have copies of the game that they are playing and posting spoilers for (with video proof).

So if you’re someone that wanted to lock down Twitter/reddit/youtube — now is your time.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I hope someone posts spoilers for the synergy attacks

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TK-42-1 posted:

They still make physical media?

Still cheaper than digital so yes

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah I'm getting off the social media that's more conducive to idiots spoiling stuff or people going nuts about something while lacking context. Gonna be a long week.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Since leaks are coming out in earnest:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4054682

Here's a spoiler thread. If you really want to discuss it, do it there.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
Speaking of spoilers, the NYTimes just put a massive one from the original game on their website and app, in the headline too.

I guess an argument can be made the original is old enough to be spoiled but as someone who never played it this kinda sucks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

rkd_ posted:

Speaking of spoilers, the NYTimes just put a massive one from the original game on their website and app, in the headline too.

I guess an argument can be made the original is old enough to be spoiled but as someone who never played it this kinda sucks.

"Aerith dies" is the ur-spoiler of video games. It's probably the single most well known game spoiler to ever exist and FF7Rebirth has literally made the foreknowledge of it a centerpiece of its marketing. Like probably the biggest point of tension going into Rebirth is "We all know Aerith dies in FF7, will she still die in FF7R despite it changing the story?"

It sucks if you somehow managed to avoid it until now but it is genuinely like spoiling "Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 20, 2024

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

"Aerith dies" is the ur-spoiler of video games. It's probably the single most well known game spoiler to ever exist and FF7Rebirth has literally made the foreknowledge of it a centerpiece of its marketing. Like probably the biggest point of tension going int Rebirth is "We all know Aerith dies in FF7, will she still die in FF7R despite it changing the story?"

It is, but I'd argue we've reached a point where it's fallen out of the public consciousness enough that there are people interested in FF7 Rebirth who don't know yet. I don't love that SE is using Aerith's death this much for marketing, either, for that same reason.

For example, my fiancee really loved Remake but hadn't really followed gaming much back when FF7 was being discussed constantly. She didn't know about Aerith's death but had it spoiled for her on a podcast a couple years back, which she was super upset about. I can't imagine she's that rare.

It's one of those things where like... unlike Darth Vader or Rosebud or whatever, Aerith's death hasn't really come up a ton outside of discussions of FF7 specifically in a good, long while. It's sort of looped back around to being a spoiler again IMO.

To expand, I think it's easy for those of us who pay a lot of attention to games to think "everyone" knows what we know--that our knowledge is "common knowledge." But it isn't, not necessarily. See also: a lot of very confused comments on TikToks about the Rebirth demo wondering why Sephiroth was being so nice, or why Cloud has the Buster Sword in the flashback when he "isn't supposed to yet." (I'm very amused by the emergence of a group that appears to have played Crisis Core but not the original FF7, I unironically love that.) What is and isn't a "real" spoiler isn't quite as clear cut I don't think.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 20, 2024

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Harrow posted:

It is, but I'd argue we've reached a point where it's fallen out of the public consciousness enough that there are people interested in FF7 Rebirth who don't know yet. I don't love that SE is using Aerith's death this much for marketing, either, for that same reason.

Yeah it's an odd situation. Normally I'd say it's not a big deal and it's absolutely public knowledge. But millions of people were just introduced to the story via Remake and it's not inconceivable that a lot of them (particularly those not yet born in 1997) have tried to avoid spoilers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

For example, my fiancee really loved Remake but hadn't really followed gaming much back when FF7 was being discussed constantly. She didn't know about Aerith's death but had it spoiled for her on a podcast a couple years back, which she was super upset about. I can't imagine she's that rare.

It's one of those things where like... unlike Darth Vader or Rosebud or whatever, Aerith's death hasn't really come up a ton outside of discussions of FF7 specifically in a good, long while. It's sort of looped back around to being a spoiler again IMO.

I think that it is much too out of the box to be that. It doesn't come up in regular conversation but it's still one of the absolute best known parts of FF7, like arguably moreso than anything else about the game except maybe Sephiroth. I'd argue it is still one of the most famous deaths in video games and pretty much any discussion about Rebirth is going to involve discussion about if she lives or dies. It's nice if you can avoid getting spoiled on it, but the story revolving around changes is going to inevitably have a discussion about the biggest potential change.

If she lives or dies in the new ones? Yeah, that's a spoiler, but the elephant in the room is still there when it comes to the original.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It came up in discussion in one of my classes and many college-aged students who considered themselves gamers did not know the story of the original FF7 and only knew what was in the Remake

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

ImpAtom posted:

"Aerith dies" is the ur-spoiler of video games. It's probably the single most well known game spoiler to ever exist and FF7Rebirth has literally made the foreknowledge of it a centerpiece of its marketing. Like probably the biggest point of tension going into Rebirth is "We all know Aerith dies in FF7, will she still die in FF7R despite it changing the story?"

It sucks if you somehow managed to avoid it until now but it is genuinely like spoiling "Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father."

Huh, interesting, I didn’t know it was public to that level. I don’t know though, Darth Vader has shown up regularly in various media throughout the years, as a character or a reference. Aerith I’ve only ever seen in context of the game that released in 1997.

The game released only a year after I was born, and I never heard any of my friends discuss it (and definitely not in the same way people would talk about the Darth Vader reveal). FFVII Remake was the first time I played the game.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

rkd_ posted:

Huh, interesting, I didn’t know it was public to that level. I don’t know though, Darth Vader has shown up regularly in various media throughout the years, as a character or a reference. Aerith I’ve only ever seen in context of the game that released in 1997.

The game released only a year after I was born, and I never heard any of my friends discuss it (and definitely not in the same way people would talk about the Darth Vader reveal). FFVII Remake was the first time I played the game.

There are people under 30 on this forum?!

All kidding aside, we are very far removed from that era in gaming so I am not surprised that people don’t know about Aerith’s fate in the original game. But I think it’s important to know in the context of Rebirth, so I feel like it’d be weird to treat it like more recent spoilers after all this time.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It was such a famous spoiler that Aerith was kinda video gaming's Gwen Stacy where the character became mostly famous for dying. Though it's a funny coincidence that we concurrently have an alive Gwen and Aerith as actual characters in the popular consciousness.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

mycot posted:

It was such a famous spoiler that Aerith was kinda video gaming's Gwen Stacy where the character became mostly famous for dying. Though it's a funny coincidence that we concurrently have an alive Gwen and Aerith as actual characters in the popular consciousness.

I remember reading a review of Amazing Spider Man 2 that mentioned there was a huge twist that you shouldn’t have spoiled because of how shocking it was. I immediately knew what it was and chuckled because it happened in the comics decades earlier. What’s old is new again!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mycot posted:

That is an interesting comparison to make especially because, like you said, Spider-Gwen has basically all but replaced the original Gwen Stacey in popular consciousness now, to the point where if you do a google search, you get like two pictures of OG Gwen and then the rest are all Spider-Gwen/Ghost Spider Gwen. Also to the point where Amazing Spider-Man 2's Gwen death feels like it's a weird anomaly now on top of all the other weird poo poo in it that made ASM2 such a bad movie despite it paying homage to one of the seminal moments in comic book history.

It will be interesting to see what happens in Rebirth in regard to Aerith in that context too.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 20, 2024

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I remember back in 2012 I'd hear peers say stuff like "Why'd they replace Mary Jane with this Gwen Stacy chick?" because they were most familiar with the 90s TAS and Raimi movies, instead of having read the comics backlog starting from 30 years before they were born.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
if the soundtrack maintains the quality i've heard so far (that overworld combat theme is awesome) the next take on the JENOVA theme is going to be absolutely incredible

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The Gwen Stacey comparison is even more apt since both characters were essential canonized both by the fandom and later media depicting the characters post-death as a perfect pure Virgin Mary figures instead of the actual characters they were

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

The Gwen Stacey comparison is even more apt since both characters were essential canonized both by the fandom and later media depicting the characters post-death as a perfect pure Virgin Mary figures instead of the actual characters they were

Again, mad props to Remake for reclaiming the image of Aerith as a woman who curses and hits people with folding chairs and tells Sephiroth to go screw himself right to his face and is weirdly horny for all types of poo poo across the spectrum and throws on stunna shades while styling on enemies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also I stand by my theory:

+

=

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Again, mad props to Remake for reclaiming the image of Aerith as a woman who curses and hits people with folding chairs and tells Sephiroth to go screw himself right to his face and is weirdly horny for all types of poo poo across the spectrum and throws on stunna shades while styling on enemies.

can you explain more about her being weirdly horny for all types of poo poo across the spectrum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

can you explain more about her being weirdly horny for all types of poo poo across the spectrum

She is interested in Cloud and Zack which is about as far across the spectrum as you can go.