Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

:yeah:

I saw the mod page on game banana so I'm glad there's been progress made towards FeMC route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'll be shocked if they manage to hack together completely new scenes but more power to them. I'm guessing it'll stay as a model swap and nothing else.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Dramatika posted:

I'm towards the end of September now, and as someone who's only played P4G and P5R before now, it can not be overstated how much better it is to not have a mascot character. Teddie was the worst thing about P4G, and Morgana, while better then Teddie, wasn't great. I guess Koromaru kind of counts, but instead of sexual harassment he's just a dog that does dog things.

Koromaru is a very good boy, but I feel Morgana goes underappreciated for his role as the bag cat/Joker's emotional support animal. I actually enjoyed the daily life town segments in P5, while they were little more than background noise in 3-4.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dramatika posted:

I'm towards the end of September now, and as someone who's only played P4G and P5R before now, it can not be overstated how much better it is to not have a mascot character. Teddie was the worst thing about P4G, and Morgana, while better then Teddie, wasn't great. I guess Koromaru kind of counts, but instead of sexual harassment he's just a dog that does dog things.

Aigis is considered the mascot of P3 according to Q at least!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

Aigis is considered the mascot of P3 according to Q at least!

This is the correct interpretation

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i thought Ken was the mascot

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
yeah but Koromaru is a much better dog than Aigis, who cares what atlus says

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tired Moritz posted:

Honestly I really prefer the tired system. It's really dislike the SP management early game of the newer personas. So generic RPGish.

But that's just...the SP system with a very easily avoided status effect slapped on top.

Like it allegedly forces you to swap party members around but you're gonna be doing that anyway to keep levels up.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nah I just use the same party members all game lol

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
So far this has been the easiest time I've had clearing dungeons in one day in any of the 3-5 games. Invigorate 1 and 2 are pretty easy to get, you get a lot of SP recovery items even without grinding vending machines, and a decent number of enemies are weak to physical attacks.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
You also pretty quickly build up a huge party that you can swap out through between sections and as long as you keep S.Links up and save the cats twilight shards quickly go from a scarce resource to a huge stockpile so in an absolute pinch you can just use the lobby clock and bam it's like you're starting fresh.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, all SP problems went away when I started spreading Life Aid around for my workhorse Personas, and realizing that the best time to use my SP items was just whenever I ran out

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Like it allegedly forces you to swap party members around but you're gonna be doing that anyway to keep levels up.

no i'm not

i might have just because i felt like it but now there's the Level Clock so i have even less reason to bother changing party members. having my party members literally go "no, gently caress this, I'm going home" halfway through was a powerful incentive to drag out the B-team but currently I really have none whatsoever

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

that is not a universal thing, I for one am happy to leave party members on the bench forever

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

and realizing that the best time to use my SP items was just whenever I ran out

Yeah this is definitely not a game where you hoard SP items. Just slam those things when you need more, particularly on the MC. You're always going to get more, and it gets even more ridiculous once you unlock the major arcana card that gives you double item drops.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

cock hero flux posted:

i made a persona that has all 3 auto-buffs, apt pupil and crit rate up, and blade of fury and it has so far cleared 2 blocks of tartarus and 2 full moon bosses by just using blade of fury over and over again. i'm gonna skill card in slash boost or something to make it even more dumb. so far the only fight in merciless i've had real trouble with was priestess, which took a few tries. i find myself wishing that the other full moon bosses got cool gimmicks like priestess

I'm in the third block now (floor 90 or something), and find that difficulty depends almost entirely on number of enemies. Fights are pretty hard if there are multiple strong enemies and at least one has no weaknesses. It largely comes down to "how often enemies have turns," since they're capable of loving you up if they start hitting party member weaknesses or applying annoying status effects (this one will be less of an issue once I get easy access to full-party status heals; I just recently got Me Patra on both Yukari and a couple of my Personas, so that helps).

The Monad stuff (which was just introduced this block) seems like it's roughly as hard as Tartarus floor bosses (maybe a little harder). Later today I'm going to try the final Monad boss for this block, which had three separate (and different) enemies, so that might be tricky.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 18, 2024

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

I'm in the third block now (floor 90 or something), and find that difficulty depends almost entirely on number of enemies. Fights are pretty hard if there are multiple strong enemies and at least one has no weaknesses.

more enemies means more chances to crit and get another turn to do another blade of fury. I'm assuming I'm eventually going to run into something that reflects slash and have approximately half a second to fully comprehend the extent of my hubris before my component atoms are scattered to the four winds but until then, i am invincible

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

cock hero flux posted:

more enemies means more chances to crit and get another turn to do another blade of fury. I'm assuming I'm eventually going to run into something that reflects slash and have approximately half a second to fully comprehend the extent of my hubris before my component atoms are scattered to the four winds but until then, i am invincible

What's the crit rate with both Apt Pupil and Crit Rate Boost? I haven't been able to get both on anyone yet, and the rate with just Crit Rate Boost is still low. If it ends up high enough to matter with both of them, it might be worth trying to fuse.

Also, I'm guessing you got Blade of Fury from Matador? I haven't come across it yet, probably because I only recently got above level 30. Currently my best physical attack is probably the multi-hit piercing thing, but it's not exactly making short work of bosses. Theurgies (particularly Aigis's) make the biggest difference for me.

I also equipped Yukari with this bow that supposed has "a high crit rate," but it's only crit like once out of 20 attacks!

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Koromaru is a very good boy, but I feel Morgana goes underappreciated for his role as the bag cat/Joker's emotional support animal. I actually enjoyed the daily life town segments in P5, while they were little more than background noise in 3-4.

Morgana was okay - the daily life parts were solid and he's all around much better than Teddy, but his Ann simping got old about as soon as it started - if he'd shut up about Ann he'd be legit good.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
morgana was really good in strikers

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Oh my lord Tanaka and the Gourmet King showing up and doing their thing during the endgame voices of hope sequence

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

What's the crit rate with both Apt Pupil and Crit Rate Boost? I haven't been able to get both on anyone yet, and the rate with just Crit Rate Boost is still low. If it ends up high enough to matter with both of them, it might be worth trying to fuse.

Also, I'm guessing you got Blade of Fury from Matador? I haven't come across it yet, probably because I only recently got above level 30. Currently my best physical attack is probably the multi-hit piercing thing, but it's not exactly making short work of bosses. Theurgies (particularly Aigis's) make the biggest difference for me.

I also equipped Yukari with this bow that supposed has "a high crit rate," but it's only crit like once out of 20 attacks!

I don't know what the exact rate is, but I would describe it as sufficient because it almost always crits at least once on groups of enemies. Yeah, I got it off of Matador and had to fuse it around a bit to get it onto Oni, who I currently use because good strength and no weaknesses.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Ytlaya posted:

I'm in the third block now (floor 90 or something), and find that difficulty depends almost entirely on number of enemies. Fights are pretty hard if there are multiple strong enemies and at least one has no weaknesses. It largely comes down to "how often enemies have turns," since they're capable of loving you up if they start hitting party member weaknesses or applying annoying status effects (this one will be less of an issue once I get easy access to full-party status heals; I just recently got Me Patra on both Yukari and a couple of my Personas, so that helps).

The Monad stuff (which was just introduced this block) seems like it's roughly as hard as Tartarus floor bosses (maybe a little harder). Later today I'm going to try the final Monad boss for this block, which had three separate (and different) enemies, so that might be tricky.

If in doubt, stick Mitsuru in your party. You'd be surprised how often Marin Karin or Tentarafoo can be helpful when you're still learning a block. Now she can learn Neuro Slash too so it's not like she's giving up on damage.

Also Monad stuff can be tricky but sometimes they just end up being gimmicks. I think they might actually be adaptations of some of the Monad fights from the FES/P3P versions.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

P3R: Are Persona items random? The one with the heart thingy on the Persona screen. Not sure what triggers getting one or no.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Beat Persona 5 Royal a few days ago and wow what an incredible game. I have virtually nothing but good things to say. My first Persona game and I will be back at it again.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Artelier posted:

P3R: Are Persona items random? The one with the heart thingy on the Persona screen. Not sure what triggers getting one or no.

Pretty sure it comes from reaching a specific level which varies from Persona to Persona.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

limp dick calvin posted:

Beat Persona 5 Royal a few days ago and wow what an incredible game. I have virtually nothing but good things to say. My first Persona game and I will be back at it again.

If you're into musou games check out Strikers, it's a direct sequel with even better writing and a lot more opportunities for the group to just hang around as friends. Only caveat is it was developed prior to Royal so it doesn't acknowledge all the stuff that game added like Kasumi or Maruki.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Artelier posted:

They're not random and you get one when a demon hits a particular level. Lower tier Demons give generic items for gear crafting and higher tier ones give a specific weapon crafting item you need to make the best gear in the game.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Somehow my first SL Maxing was Devil.
I wonder if there's something wrong with me.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Neeksy posted:

Somehow my first SL Maxing was Devil.
I wonder if there's something wrong with me.

it's a really easy link to max. despite the point popups, you're guaranteed a rank-up every time you talk to him

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Oxxidation posted:

it's a really easy link to max. despite the point popups, you're guaranteed a rank-up every time you talk to him

Also there’s basically nothing else to do at night so you don’t have to balance a bunch of them.

My first was Yuko and my second was Maiko. It’s funny that if you finish Maiko’s early enough it removes the stakes from when she ends up in Mementos.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think my completion progress has been.

Kaz > Nozomi > Maiko > Maya > Yukari > Mutatsu > Tanaka > Yuko > Bebe.

As an aside, does anyone know if you’re forced to join the track team at some point? Since there’s a mandatory track event during summer and Kaz is part of some mandatory story scenes like Kenji (who you’re also forced to start a link with).

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Finally made it to December and honestly the new link episodes they added for Akihiko and Junpei are better than any of the actual S.Links.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ken's as well

when he shows off his hamster and asks you to take care of it when he's gone. doesn't even bother to say "if"

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ken’s is definitely better than his actual link.

I think Shinjiro’s is about as good, just different events. Same with Junpei.

Akihiko’s is okay? I wasn’t wowed by either one, but it depends on if you’re going for the romance as a FeMC or not.

Koromaru is pretty much just his link but with less USB Katana.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Other VA notes: Tomochika being voiced by Claude Fire Emblem is very funny and even after 60 hours I still can’t shake my thought that Fuuka’s is just doing an impression of Haru

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I must have memory holed this stuff because I've played through P3 three times in various incarnations and I don't remember the links being this bad. I'm not even talking about content, just that the correct responses are are all the worst ones and then suddenly in rank 9/10 it all turns out ok.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Feb 19, 2024

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Wait gently caress if the Fall did happen, would Aigis count as "alive" for the purposes of however it works
Or would it be Aigis alone among a sea of corpses

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
For all intents and purposes she's got a soul so presumably the effect'd be the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless

ApplesandOranges posted:

As an aside, does anyone know if you’re forced to join the track team at some point? Since there’s a mandatory track event during summer and Kaz is part of some mandatory story scenes like Kenji (who you’re also forced to start a link with).

You are eventually forced to join a sports team if you don't join it when it first opens. I forget exactly when it is, but I think it's sometime around the end of May or early June.