Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Honest Thief posted:

somehow the ys game timeline all happens in a span of what two three years? apart from origins of course, but Adol is the ripe old age of 24 by Monstrum Nox time

I think he’s like sixteen when the games started, so more like eight years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
is Nox ever going to get more than 25% off on promos? I was a bit done with the 3 party system by Lacrimosa and the town setting doesn't pull me in, but I'd still like to try it but drat 35 euros??? come on, falcom

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Subjunctive posted:

What’s the best Ys to get started with if all I know about them is that people seem to think they’re cool?

Bump Era: Ys 1 and 2. I'd skip this two-part game as an introduction due to its archaic level design and bullshit bosses. Try later.

3D Era: Ark of Napishtim is a fun if easy entry point. Oath in Felghana and Origins are more polished and evenly challenged. Try any one.

Party Era: Skip Memories of Celceta. A fairly bog standard JRPG that ends abruptly with no real resolution.

Open World Era: Lacrimosa of Dana is a classic and easily appproachable. It's got some Metroid, Tower Defence, and time travel thrown in there. The sequel Monstrum Nox suffers from a drab setting and no fishing minigame, but has stronger combat and better paced Tower Defence levels.

Never played SEVEN and nobody liked Ys V.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 18, 2024

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Subjunctive posted:

What’s the best Ys to get started with if all I know about them is that people seem to think they’re cool?

Origin

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Origin is remarkable for taking the paper thin lore from a then fifteen year old game, placing the entire action inside a single dungeon, and from them spinning a surprisingly enteraining story. You could easily make more Ys games where Adol never shows up.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
memories of celceta’s one of the best ones

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

play every Ys game except 5/Kefin

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Subjunctive posted:

Oath in Felghana or Origin for the best games where Adol doesn't have a party (also they're harder)
Ys VIII for the best game where Adol has a party
Ys I & II if the bump system sounds/looks fun and you want to see where it all got started

From there you can just go about anywhere there are no real misses except

Meowywitch posted:

play every Ys game except 5/Kefin
this

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Probably skip DS classic Ys Strategy too

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Sakurazuka posted:

Probably skip DS classic Ys Strategy too

The red haired guy on the cover isn't even Adol, but some dude called Abel. It was a misjudged spinoff since the series has been niche for decades, so it was likely an unrelated game that had an old brand slapped onto it.

64 days until Eiyuden releases.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Inspector Gesicht posted:

64 days until Eiyuden releases.

:dogcited:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Honest Thief posted:

somehow the ys game timeline all happens in a span of what two three years? apart from origins of course, but Adol is the ripe old age of 24 by Monstrum Nox time

You have to realize that canonically, there are a hundred Ys games installments, so they still have to squeeze in 9 plots in the remaining 30-40 years of Adol's life

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
adol can't even take a vacation w/o getting dragged into some bullshit

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

You're not going to see Adol past his twenties. Link was 23 in the last Zelda game, yet he still doesn't need a razor to shave.

Pretty boys are eternal.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Last Celebration posted:

But on the other hand if you have Steam, VIII is on sale for like $15 so that’s probably a good value too!

Thanks to everyone for their enthusiastic assistance! VIII is also verified on the Deck, so I’ll see how that one catches me.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Zack in Crisis Core is kind of a punk atm, wonder when he will be badass.
the antagonists are kind of big drama queens atm.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
They need to make a Ys game with a 50 year old Adol with a big beard and an eye patch.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

An evil lich could ressurect Adol's corpse and he'd still break control by complete accident through an irresistible compulsion to go on an adventure

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
Or an irresistible compulsion to destroy a boat.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Cannot wait for the Ys game about Adol's canonical failed expedition to the North Pole.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Ys 5 is such a forgotten Ys game that Falcom still hasn't remade it like they did 3 and 4. It's the only Ys game you have to play via emulation as the only other version is the PS2 version and nobody liked the PS2 remakes

Though with the original PC-88 versions getting a release on Switch maybe that'll change. Not that I'd be raring to play them but I'd love to see Switch/PC versions of the original 3/4/5

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

An evil lich could ressurect Adol's corpse and he'd still break control by complete accident through an irresistible compulsion to go on an adventure

this has kind of happened already

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Ys 5 is such a forgotten Ys game that Falcom still hasn't remade it like they did 3 and 4. It's the only Ys game you have to play via emulation as the only other version is the PS2 version and nobody liked the PS2 remakes

Though with the original PC-88 versions getting a release on Switch maybe that'll change. Not that I'd be raring to play them but I'd love to see Switch/PC versions of the original 3/4/5

There are references to the events of Ys 5 in both 8 and 9 so they at least haven't totally forgotten about it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I watched a video on V recently, probably part of the reason it hasn’t been touched much is because it was received horribly for multiple reasons (jank design, no PC version because Falcom were trying to transition to consoles) which is part of why V to VI had such a huge gap.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

lol there’s a $1000 bundle of NIS games and DLC, discounted to $750!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I've tried to play Ys Origin like 3 times and I always get stuck on the stupid worm boss. That thing is ridiculously brutal. I'd kinda like to try 8 or maybe Oath? I assume 8 is relatively easy like most modern action RPGs, dunno about Oath.

I think it's very funny that studio has Ys which requires basically zero lore knowledge to play, and Trails which at this point you have to play about 300 hours of game before playing the new one. Interesting split strategy, I guess

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 18, 2024

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I give you my blessing to start with Trails through Daybreak, out later this year

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

abraham linksys posted:

I've tried to play Ys Origin like 3 times and I always get stuck on the stupid worm boss. That thing is ridiculously brutal. I'd kinda like to try 8 or maybe Oath? I assume 8 is relatively easy like most modern action RPGs, dunno about Oath.

Levels make a huge difference in Origin (and most older Ys games) and it's very easy to get to that boss underlevelled. IIRC correctly there's a pretty decent grinding spot just before that I usually use to grab a couple of extra levels.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

these chapters in Crisis Core are fast, even when taking time to do clear as many missions as I can.
finally got to meeting my waifu Aerith for the first time. this church is a falling hazard, how many people are gonna fall down here

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Terper posted:

I give you my blessing to start with Trails through Daybreak, out later this year

Is this an actual reset or is it going to be more of a Yakuza 7 where it's like "ok here's a whole bunch of people you don't know but all you need to know is they're neat"

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
It's still the same continent and timeline, but a different country (Calvard this time) with new main characters.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

Is this an actual reset or is it going to be more of a Yakuza 7 where it's like "ok here's a whole bunch of people you don't know but all you need to know is they're neat"

I think there’s significantly less neat people since the Cold Steel games were partly paying off the setup in Trails From Zero to Azure, but yeah it’s a Yakuza Like A Dragon setting/protagonist reset.

Tbh you can really just start with any game in the Trails “saga”, like playing Cold Steel III as your first or Trails in the Sky Third Chapter is a bad idea but you’re not gonna be completely lost if you play Sky First Chapter, Trails From Zero, or Cold Steel I as your first one in practice. It’s neat having stuff you don’t know about, imho, it’s like Dragonball Z or Witcher III (if you never watched Dragonball or read the Witcher books).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

theres maybe 5 characters in daybreak who are remotely relevant and from previous games, and none of them are permanent party members. and all of them have immediately obvious deals (i dont think you need to know the specifics of a dozen previous games to get the idea of a good chinese styled martial artist and an evil martial artist who wears a suit and sunglasses). id say theres only one subplot that ties that heavily into previous games in a way that does seem to assume some knowledge, and its just a subplot, and you can get the gist.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also yeah you can start trails with the start of any subseries. the devs themselves have advertised them as such.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Ys VIII (like all of the party-based games) is significantly easier than Origin/Oath.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

I think it's very funny that studio has Ys which requires basically zero lore knowledge to play, and Trails which at this point you have to play about 300 hours of game before playing the new one. Interesting split strategy, I guess

have you found all the attack upgrades? i found that missing even one was the difference between having to master a fight and cruising through on autopilot

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It's easy to overlook the NPC who looks like Macaulay Culkins who upgrades your poo poo.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Subjunctive posted:

Ys 8 (Lacrimosa of Dana) or Ys Origin. Oath in Felghana is cool too, but I think it's actually even harder than Origin was, and imo Origin is right there with Ys 8 as the best Ys game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

I watched a video on V recently, probably part of the reason it hasn’t been touched much is because it was received horribly for multiple reasons (jank design, no PC version because Falcom were trying to transition to consoles) which is part of why V to VI had such a huge gap.

I get Falcom wanting to move to consoles at the time as the PC-88 was on its last legs and nobody was sure what would be the next home computer games platform. But doing Ys 5 on Super Famicom was puzzling given the Playstation was out (granted it's first year) and was probably a better home for a new Ys game not to mention easier for Falcom to work with given its size at the time