Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you call the disposable plastic bags with the clip at the top?
Zip Lock Bags
Glad Bags
View Results

ili
Jul 26, 2003

We should be allowed to sacrifice blow to get NVJ unbanned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And here I thought the brief fad of people using chatGPT as a replacement for google had been laughed off the internet already.

Mate have you seen the garbage that Google comes up with these days

And besides, I’m a loving terrible programmer so I can say “write me a javascript to do x” and it usually after some minor tweaks and testing

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

BrigadierSensible posted:

Murray Ball, (the creator and artist behind Footrot Flats) is a oval office.

He subsequently wrote a book of comics called "The Sisterhood", where he lays all of society's ills at the blame of short haired opnionated women who dare to step out of the kitchen.

gently caress him!

Although I have always been curious as to what The Dog's actual given name is.

He did end up with one I think. It was like "shirley" or some poo poo. I haven't read newspaper comic strips in a very very long time

If you've ever spent time around ramshackle farms the dog usually gets a name. The cat probably wouldn't get one like Horrace does. But Horrace was a monster who was too good at his job and Dog was just a dumbass

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 17, 2024

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
gently caress off blow

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The Peccadillo posted:

He did end up with one I think. It was like "shirley" or some poo poo. I haven't read newspaper comic strips in a very very long time

If you've ever spent time around ramshackle farms the dog usually gets a name. The cat probably wouldn't get one like Horrace does. But Horrace was a monster who was too good at his job and Dog was just a dumbass

Shirley does make sense for The Dog's name. Its a "girls" name so he would be embarrassed about it, yet is also used for olde timey aristocratic men, so it makes sense why the Aunt Dolly character would have given it to him.

I always assumed it was "Petunia" or some poo poo like that. We used to have several Footrot Flats books in hour house when I was a kid. The big oblong shaped ones.

And please forgive me if I am wrong, but I thought the cat was called Horse, not Horace.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

BrigadierSensible posted:

And please forgive me if I am wrong, but I thought the cat was called Horse, not Horace.

Yeah I always remembered the cats name being Horse. Due to it's size and all.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Our most famous Shirley:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The whole joke is the dog has a name and hates anyone using it, so everyone just calls him 'Dog' and he's smart enough to figure it out from context.

Also Horse is based on a real feral cat given the same name.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Peccadillo posted:

On the official site Ball says that he decided to never reveal it

quote:

I was probably about 24 strips in to the series when it came to me. It was magnificent – it suited him so-oo well. From that day forth I set about trying to find an opportunity to slip it into the strip. The readers would love it…

And the letters kept rolling in – and the more they asked me the harder it became to tell them. It could only be an anti-climax. A name, after all, is but a name. I was getting cold feet. Whatever I called it, there were battalions of readers out there going to throw their arms in the air and emit a chorus of disappointed groans. So I chickened out. I let the name go and just got on with it.

There's a rumour online that he once revealed in a letter to a fan that the dog's name was Diogenes, and the fact that Balls' publishing label was called Diogenes Design might have been a wink and a nod to that

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Definitely the right idea, there's no way any reveal could live up to it.

Though Diogenes would be very fitting for a few reasons. Especially since it means 'dog' iirc.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
My Dad was convinced that he read in one of the comics that the dog's real name was creampuff. I can't ever remember reading it myself but I'm going back like 35 years to having actual copies of the comic books on hand to check

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

EoinCannon posted:

What was his deal? Anti semite?

OK I read his Wikipedia, he was anti Israel for good reasons, but then he started making hosed up comments about Jews generally. He had Jewish friends who spoke up for him but I don't think that makes it ok

He also wrote the second most racist bond film

ili
Jul 26, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/lOppJk1.mp4

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

bee posted:

My Dad was convinced that he read in one of the comics that the dog's real name was creampuff. I can't ever remember reading it myself but I'm going back like 35 years to having actual copies of the comic books on hand to check

I remember hearing that. It feels like a cop out rumour since the joke is the third Murphy dog is named Cream Puff.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
the horny stink lines

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

bee posted:

Creampuff is one of the Murphy dogs. There's a few mentions online of Diogenes being Dog's real name which seems pretty on brand for Aunt Dolly.

Ball seems like a complex dude, on one hand Sisterhood is by all accounts supremely hosed but on the other he apparently cracked the shits at the All Blacks tour of South Africa while Dog was a mascot because of all the racist poo poo going on there. There's an article online saying he gave up writing Footrot Flats because "the ethos of the simple, humble and generous life depicted in the strips was being swamped by capitalism, corporatism, and consumerism" which doesn't seem like a particularly conservative perspective. I guess like a lot of people he had his flaws and you have to take the good with the bad.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Definitely the right idea, there's no way any reveal could live up to it.

Though Diogenes would be very fitting for a few reasons. Especially since it means 'dog' iirc.

And he lived in a barrel.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
Gah, I totally missed some choice Footrot Flats chat because I was working all week...

FF was my backup Hard Quiz topic after some bogan bombed out on Mad Max...

But, yes, Diogenes was allegedly the Dog's real name. The character was kind of a simple man's philosopher, and Diogenes of his time was known as 'The Dog' and lived in a barrel, usually accompanied by strays.

Ball himself was considered left-wing, though the boomerisms became more apparent over time. He stopped making the comic in 1994 well before a lot of changes in social conscience became mainstream, though I am not certain anything controversial would have made it in anyway since it was never the style of FF.

But I think you can see his views on feminism in the comic, Aunt Dolly being an example of an older conservative woman who is easily fiercely independent and physically and mentally strong, but is terminally single and living with a bunch of cats. Pongo being new-wave radical feminism displayed with juvenile naivety. Then Cheeky Hobson being a vacuous thirst trap that would string Wal along for the entire series until she fucks him over in the end...

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
I had a Sonny cut
we all had Sonny cuts

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Carlos Lantana posted:

I had a Sonny cut
we all had Sonny cuts

Bowl cut, we always said, the ol' puddin basin

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Still immensely superior to the Meet me at Maccas broccoli top

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

webmeister posted:

Meet me at Maccas
Learned something today, I don't get it but it's funny

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The treatment of Cheeky is pretty weird given she's shown as looking like a blonde bimbo but she and Wal are genuinely mutually interested, the whole point is more the Dog's childish jealousy, and she does step up when they need her help, and when thrown in the deep end with farm work she ends up doing alright. It's literally at the hen party where she decides apparently on a whim to call off the wedding and run off with an American male stripper.

I think one of those things where you can see the cracks of the contradictions that eventually end up tearing it all apart.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Cooch would be your anti vax mate that is so peaceful and nice otherwise that you just don't bring it up.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

ili posted:

We should be allowed to sacrifice blow to get NVJ unbanned.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

EoinCannon posted:

Cooch would be your anti vax mate that is so peaceful and nice otherwise that you just don't bring it up.

Eh, whole thing with Cooch is that he's a huge country hippie but also very practical, he's not a vegetarian (and considers cave wetas good eating) and understands the realities of farming, I think he could go either way.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Eh, whole thing with Cooch is that he's a huge country hippie but also very practical, he's not a vegetarian (and considers cave wetas good eating) and understands the realities of farming, I think he could go either way.

I'd wager that Cooch wouldn't get lost in those rabbit holes, I don't even think he owns a TV.

He does have some weird home remedies passed down by family, though.

Now, if you want to talk cookers, Tarquin St Clair's parents would absolutely be nuts about vaccines and 5G.

Ok, but of a deep cut, there. They were only in one short arc of gag-a-day strips. Tarquin was one of the rugby juniors Wal coached and his very left-wing (near beatnik) parents protested Wal's decision to put the kid in the sin bin for refusing to tackle citing pacifism...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The treatment of Cheeky is pretty weird given she's shown as looking like a blonde bimbo but she and Wal are genuinely mutually interested, the whole point is more the Dog's childish jealousy, and she does step up when they need her help, and when thrown in the deep end with farm work she ends up doing alright. It's literally at the hen party where she decides apparently on a whim to call off the wedding and run off with an American male stripper.

I think one of those things where you can see the cracks of the contradictions that eventually end up tearing it all apart.

There were also moments of fussiness and high standards that made her incompatible with a farmer's life, like say the time she stormed out of Wal's house because she found a single flea (Apparently sent by Dog) or getting kitted out in designer rainwear to help out on the farm. Guess it was easy to wring comedy from the fish-out-of-water trope. But she also wouldn't completely block Spit Murphy's advances and would basically use them to gently caress with Wal as she enjoyed the attention. (Spit also tried mackin' on to Cooch's Cousin Cathy, bringing out an unprecedented rage in him.)

When you look at it, Cheeky was just a wannabe glamour girl, past her prime, and stuck in a lovely rural community having to deal with the fact that she'd have to settle for a fat bloke that regularly smelled of manure and went with the nicest one there, which is why she shot through with the stripper on her hen's night without a second thought.

EDIT: Australiana: Ok, NZ can come too...

Maximum Sexy Pigeon fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Feb 20, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

When you look at it, Cheeky was just a wannabe glamour girl, past her prime, and stuck in a lovely rural community having to deal with the fact that she'd have to settle for a fat bloke that regularly smelled of manure and went with the nicest one there, which is why she shot through with the stripper on her hen's night without a second thought.

poo poo, when you put it that way it makes sense. Having come from bumfuck nowhere I probably even know the type and hard to blame her considering. Most people in those communities who don't have the right kind of brainworms to feel like they belong there tend to gently caress off the first chance they get. Farmers are a weird bunch. Even Wal can be pretty immature and doesn't have much in the way of friends.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Marrying Wal would mean she'd be stuck farming for life. Why would you drive out from whatever hill tract Wal hangs out on to work when there's work to do on the farm.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Well I've only just realised it, since I've never actually had a discussion about FF as an adult and can now see all the stuff I missed as a kid.

I've still got a stack of the comics in a box here, somewhere. Might have to go over them for the first time in a coupla decades and see what else I notice.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That and Spit Murphy is like the one guy for miles around who actually bothers to put effort into his appearance.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Well I've only just realised it, since I've never actually had a discussion about FF as an adult and can now see all the stuff I missed as a kid.

I've still got a stack of the comics in a box here, somewhere. Might have to go over them for the first time in a coupla decades and see what else I notice.

I also read the comics as a kid. And this discussion is showing me hoe poor my knowledge of Footrot Flats actually is.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That and Spit Murphy is like the one guy for miles around who actually bothers to put effort into his appearance.

Spit is a greaser wannabe when he's not in farm clothes or a rugby uniform, so yeah, makes sense.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

My Tent Spider and her just-hatched spiderlings.

The web has been there for a few weeks. She adds more structural lines like guy- wires and repairs it daily. The males warily hang out on the edge. We recently had a severe thunderstorm with +60km/h windspeed. The web stretched like an elastic band, but it held fast.

Good engineering. I was impressed.

:)

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
alt.binaries.erotica/footrot

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Blow posted:

My Tent Spider and her just-hatched spiderlings.

The web has been there for a few weeks. She adds more structural lines like guy- wires and repairs it daily. The males warily hang out on the edge. We recently had a severe thunderstorm with +60km/h windspeed. The web stretched like an elastic band, but it held fast.

Good engineering. I was impressed.

:)

Them Orb Weaver types have strong-rear end webs for sure. They can take a lot of punishment.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Jim's Row of Machinery is creating small town drama.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Wait is the third one down a ufo? Did he capture a flying saucer from another planet and put it on a pike?

I mean okay yeah, does sort of sound like a pretty qld thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
The war on Australiana