Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

To be honest I think the film benefits from just having them jump scare out to try and murder someone in a maze of WTF?. If you had slowed down at any point to focus too much on anything I'm not sure any of it would have been good or deep enough to improve things.

Thirteen Ghosts subsides on moving quickly and having Matthew Lillard by an excellent scream queen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Getting around to watching Thanksgiving since it's on Netflix now. Some good kills, I do like the killers costume, and that he feeds a victims cat :3:

But holy poo poo, as someone who lives like 20 minutes from Plymouth, the portrayal of it as like some midwestern small town with everyone having Boston accents despite being 50 miles from the city is really making me laugh.

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 18, 2024

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Shrecknet posted:

Someone please give me a good sci-fi/horror flick. I've already seen Event Horizon, all the Aliens and Predators I can stand, and need something that's a space horror but good, y'know?

Invasion of Astro-Monster

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
ISS doesn't even have a good premise.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

M_Sinistrari posted:

When my fiance and I met him way back when at a book signing, he was so chatty with us the event people were salty with us.
Yeah, back when he was doing a tour for If Chins Could Kill, Bruce was very indulgent of my fanboy nerding, and posed for a couple of pictures with me and my mom. I guess the dynamics of 'I'm here to promote my book, and people are here to see me specifically' are different from 'I'm here at another con where I'm one of several people the guests are here to gawk at.'

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

WeaponX posted:

Dark Castle was great. The ghosts in 13 Ghosts were really fun designs and it’s a shame you can’t spend more time with them but you know, there’s 13 of them.

I think the DVD had a cool little series of vignettes about each ghost as well explaining their ghostly origins. that movie is really fun, kind of surprised there was never a 14 ghosts

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

alf_pogs posted:

I think the DVD had a cool little series of vignettes about each ghost as well explaining their ghostly origins. that movie is really fun, kind of surprised there was never a 14 ghosts

Yes! Narrated by F Murray Abraham!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

alf_pogs posted:

In August they said after the strikes ended they were planning on pitching a show to Sony https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/459915/thirteen-ghosts-dark-castle-reportedly-in-development-on-new-tv-series-exclusive/

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

do you think the bathroom in 13 ghosts had a glass toilet

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kvlt! posted:

hell yeah hmu ill buy ya a beer!

I'll be in touch.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Opopanax posted:

Hail to the king, baby

He was nice, but a bit brisk. Had a giant lineup so I guess he just wanted to keep people moving.

I've posted this before but hey any opportunity to brag about watching Army of Darkness with Bruce in a small theater when it came out, got his autograph, and then watched Evil Dead with him in 2017 and got him to sign the same paper.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

13 Ghosts > House in Haunted Hill > Ghost Ship....... > House of Wax

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

magiccarpet posted:

13 Ghosts > House in Haunted Hill > Ghost Ship....... > House of Wax

13 Ghosts > House in Haunted Hill > The First Five Minutes Of Ghost Ship > House of Wax > The Rest of Ghost Ship

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

1. Second half of 13 Ghosts
2. House of Wax
3. House on Haunted Hill
4. First 5 minutes of Ghost Ship
5. First half of 13 Ghosts
6. Rest of Ghost Ship

But I've gone back and forth on that ranking more than most other films rankings I've been asked to give. Only consistence is a) I'd absolutely still watch all of 1-5 in a heartbeat, they're all good at worst, b) Ghost Ship's opening is an all-timer and I could easily understand ranking it above everything (I think I was at that point a couple years ago myself), and c) time has only been kinder to my thoughts on House of Wax over the years. I was way too hard on it when I first saw it as a young teen, and I wish Jaume kept directing weird stuff like that and The Shallows and Orphan, instead of transitioning to exclusively Dwayne Johnson passion projects :negative:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

ISS doesn't even have a good premise.

I’m glad to hear I.S.S. is bad, ‘cause I’ve been workshopping a “more like P.I.S.S.” joke for months now.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Getting around to watching Thanksgiving since it's on Netflix now. Some good kills, I do like the killers costume, and that he feeds a victims cat :3:

But holy poo poo, as someone who lives like 20 minutes from Plymouth, the portrayal of it as like some midwestern small town with everyone having Boston accents despite being 50 miles from the city is really making me laugh.

I'm watching this and holy poo poo are the characters insufferable. I know they're purposely written that way but jeez it's pretty rough getting through this first 40 minutes.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

As I've said of Thanksgiving before, all I wanted from it was a kill where someone gets locked in an oven, and it gave me that so it's at least decent.

Corambis
Feb 14, 2023
Could someone recommend a fun horror my girlfriend and I could watch? We liked Housebound and Tucker and Dale vs Evil but it doesn’t have to be quite so outright comedic. Something new-ish would be good because we’ve watched a lot of the classics but haven’t seen much of anything made in the past five years.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Corambis posted:

Could someone recommend a fun horror my girlfriend and I could watch? We liked Housebound and Tucker and Dale vs Evil but it doesn’t have to be quite so outright comedic. Something new-ish would be good because we’ve watched a lot of the classics but haven’t seen much of anything made in the past five years.

army of darkness... maybe evil dead 2

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Corambis posted:

Malignant and M3GAN are both great cheeky fun but very much horror

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

alf_pogs posted:

Malignant and M3GAN are both great cheeky fun but very much horror

Add in Psycho goreman if you want some weirdo goofy poo poo too.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Yeah if you liked Housebound, M3GAN is the same director.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

also BARBARIAN is a recent horror movie that cracks along at a good pace, has some great scares and some big laughs too.

The Wolf of Snow Hollow is also pretty good, although your mileage may vary depending on how much you like Jim Cummings' shtick. but i loved it

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Corambis posted:

Destroy All Neighbors came out on Shudder last month and is pretty fun

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

alf_pogs posted:

also BARBARIAN is a recent horror movie that cracks along at a good pace, has some great scares and some big laughs too.

BARBARIAN slaps but I wouldn't call it fun horror, with all the stuff that happens in it.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Corambis posted:

Host is a fun movie that was a 50 minute shudder original shot during covid. I think it's done pretty well for a zoom call movie. X is a solid slasher. Prey is a good entry into the Predator films. There's some okay anthology movies in Mortuary Collection, Nightmare Cinema, and Books of Blood.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

married but discreet posted:

BARBARIAN slaps but I wouldn't call it fun horror, with all the stuff that happens in it.

I disagree l. It’s an absolute blast. It juggles tones like crazy and just keeps upping the ante.

My brother and I were cracking up many times during it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Corambis posted:

The Day of the Beast would be something I'd recommend even though its a foreign film its probably one of the best horror movies thats not really a horror movie.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Hey everyone! I would like create a kickas playlist of the best horror themes of all times. We’ve got og Halloween. We’ve got Helen’s theme from candyman. We’ve got tubular bells. We’ve got everything goblin. We’ve got freebied from devils rejects. Please throw any and everything horror that reminds you of it. I’ll add it all to make a kickass playlist.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

fr0id posted:

Hey everyone! I would like create a kickas playlist of the best horror themes of all times. We’ve got og Halloween. We’ve got Helen’s theme from candyman. We’ve got tubular bells. We’ve got everything goblin. We’ve got freebied from devils rejects. Please throw any and everything horror that reminds you of it. I’ll add it all to make a kickass playlist.

The Thing and Ravenous are two big ones that jump right out to me.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

fr0id posted:

Chariot of Pumpkins from the H3 soundtrack. Hell, throw the main theme from The Fog in there too. Chris Young's main themes from Hellraiser and Hellbound (especially Hellbound). The NOES theme by Bernstein. Wendy Carlos Dies Irae from The Shining. Hello Zepp from SAW. Profondo Rosso main theme. Cry Little Sister from Lost Boys. Phantasm theme is a nice groove. That one Ulver piano song from Sinister, from the first 8mm murder reel.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Origami Dali posted:

That one Ulver piano song from Sinister, from the first 8mm murder reel.

hell yeah, also the Boards of Canada song 'Gyroscope'

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Jedit posted:

I'm sure I've seen that on the tourist posters.

(And welcome back, it's good to see you again.)

thank you love you <3

i saw Poor Things and didnt really "get it". I'm normally a big fan of "All style no substance" movies, and the style is GORGEOUS, just a strange stunning piece of cinematography/costuming/filmmaking. The script seemed like it could, (and friends I use this term in its actual, non-inflated sense) LITERALLY have been written by a middle schooler. I would've believed the script was AI generated except AI could probably do better*.

Highly reccomend to turn it on, mute it, and put on a good album of your choice tho

*Willem DaFoe is perfect and exempt from any and all criticism in this and all his movies

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

fr0id posted:

Most of this

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

fr0id posted:

Do you know about ICE NINE KILLS? They were a C-tier screamo band for a decade until their frontman was like, "Guys, what do we all love? Horror movies! Why don't we make a concept album about our favorite movies?" and they did and they blew the gently caress up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozOb5FcnDf4

And they aren't casual fans, either - for their take on Pet Semetary, they actually tracked down Miko Hughes to get him to play a role in the music video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XP0Mu1dETo

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Poor Things is one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time I don't think children or AI can write anything that funny

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

fr0id posted:

Disco opening from F13 III

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Killer Klowns

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

The Clown Cafe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

fr0id posted:

The Maniac Cop Rap.