Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I finished Death Stranding Directors Cut. Whew.
Some games I beat before that were like, Nier Automata, FFVII Remake, Pikmin 4, Elden Ring, and Tears of the Kingdom. I've gotten so used to big game completely blowing away my expectations that I'm completely hosed trying to choose a new one. I haven't been hit this hard with the listlessness between games in a while.

The hell am I supposed to play after Death Stranding?

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Feb 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

Some games I beat before that were like, Nier Automata, FFVII Remake, Pikmin 4, Elden Ring, and Tears of the Kingdom. I've gotten so used to big game completely blowing away my expectations that I'm completely hosed trying to choose a new one. I haven't been hit this hard with the listlessness between games in a while.

Death Stranding 2 obviously

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I beat Lies of P yesterday. What a phenomenal game. The only soulslike that I've been able to stand more than 10 minutes of let alone finish. Fantastic from beginning to end and the sequel hook is insane. I can't describe how much I want to play that next potential game right now lmao

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Heran Bago posted:

Snowrunner. It's got a similar vibe, but the soundtrack is slide guitar instead of ethereal indie pop.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Morpheus posted:

Finished Granblue Relink. Or, at least, the story, which arguably is like a third of the game's content.

Liked it, but the final chapters were a little exhausting. Really had that problem of "time for the final fight!"....."okay actually THIS is the final fight!"...."Okay in fact now THIS-" and I was just happy for it to end. I wouldn't have minded it going that long, but being constantly told you're in for the final battle, have a huge climactic fight and big finale, only to have it pulled out from under you can be really annoying.

Looking forward to getting into the rest of the game though.

I also finished this today and had basically the same feeling. The villian's shtick is never really explained in any satisfying way but that kind of fits with the whole hyper generic fantasy anime setting. I couldn't agree more with the feelings about the endding sequences either, just "this is finally the final time to finally do the final thing and we win this" like six or seven times in a row, four or five of them in the same fight.

That being said I get all the various different comparisons the game gets when people try to potch it to others. There's a some MonHun in there, some character action game mechanics, etc, but overall it's very much its own thing and not exactly like any of those. If anything it's combat is probably closest to Nier Automata with a MonHun-ish endgame and over a dozen different characters who all have their own playstyle that are a little more shallow than FFXVI. But again comparisons to other games are flying around everywhere and it does a good job of being it's own thing, it's a great base of a game that feels good to play and easily sets itself up for more content in the form of new characters, new and remixed encounters (which I hear the endgame has plenty of already), and new short or long story additions if the devs feel like it.

The multiplayer focus really is in the endgame though, I got a couple of random groups when trying to do sidequests publically but everytime I tried something pre endgame I got a notification that the matchmaking system was having a hard time putting together a full group.

So all in all: absolutle generic anime schlock but it looks great and plays great, there's plenty of game there and all the room in the world for more game.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Beat Talos Principle, pretty cool and mostly very fun game with the inevitable puzzle-game issue of if you can’t figure something out, it’s very tedious. The help system being so limited made me not want to use it at all, which is probably a me problem. Didn’t particularly care for the philosophical trappings but liked the way the outline of what actually happened was revealed. Definitely going to play the second game

emdash fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 20, 2024

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I just beat Doom 64.
I am proud, but also ashamed to say that it was the very first Doom game I ever completed without using cheats.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I beat excavation at hob's barrow yesterday. Pretty short, none of the puzzles were too hard/illogical. The horror elements are kind of light but the animation in certain scenes is pretty good. The voice acting was adequate and the game has very good QoL features like fast travel that I really appreciated. The last adventure games like this I ever played were the kings/space quest series and they'd kill for something like fast travel.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Just beat the remastered release of Tomb Raider. Holds up remarkably well for the most part, though not without some unnecessarily frustrating moments (mostly combat-related, due to how anything and everything nudges Lara around effortlessly on contact). I made it more awkward for myself than I really needed to by chasing a couple of "no fun allowed" achievements:

In any case, thoroughly enjoyed revisiting this one, despite the above pair of achievements meaning that by about halfway through I had to savescum like an incompetent baby every time I made even the most trivial of progress. Christ I loving hate the Mutants.

Oh well, on to the Unfinished Business expansion :buddy:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I just beat Doom 64.
I am proud, but also ashamed to say that it was the very first Doom game I ever completed without using cheats.

i really liked D64 - it was the inverse of the others in that it starts kinda weak and gets better and better. also the last boss is a mad sprint.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Heran Bago posted:

Try something that's short and gamey. I popped in castlevania rondo of blood and it feels so good sometimes to just play a video game rear end video game

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Heran Bago posted:

If it doesn’t have to be open world, Baldur’s Gate 3

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Molybdenum posted:

I beat excavation at hob's barrow yesterday. Pretty short, none of the puzzles were too hard/illogical. The horror elements are kind of light but the animation in certain scenes is pretty good. The voice acting was adequate and the game has very good QoL features like fast travel that I really appreciated. The last adventure games like this I ever played were the kings/space quest series and they'd kill for something like fast travel.

I highly recommend Unavowed. It's a game much in the same style, but working with a somewhat larger scope than Hobb's Barrow.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Hakkesshu posted:

I highly recommend Unavowed. It's a game much in the same style, but working with a somewhat larger scope than Hobb's Barrow.

Oh it's even on sale until later this week. I'll give it a whirl. Thanks!

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
Went back and finished Middle Earth: Shadow of War the other day. I had originally bought it after the lootbox stuff had been removed, but bounced off it several times over the years even though I really enjoyed the first one. Anyway, I finally settled into it again and things just clicked. The story and cutscenes were really good in a 'what if' sort of way (sans, maybe, stupid sexy Shelob). I enjoyed it enough to make an attempt at the Shadow Wars epilogue, but one of the captains was immune to virtually every thing I could throw at him and could heal to full in seconds, so after fighting him for 30 minutes I just watched the secret ending on youtube and moved on to the DLC. I don't know if they'll ever make a third one but Baranor is pretty cool.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Heran Bago posted:

FF VII Rebirth?

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Foul Fowl posted:

i really liked D64 - it was the inverse of the others in that it starts kinda weak and gets better and better. also the last boss is a mad sprint.

Indeed. I actually found myself looking forward to each next level, rather than dreading it.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
I now have finished Judgment, which was next in line of my list of Yakuza games I got close to finishing but fell off for various reasons. I was a lot closer to the endgame for it than I was in Y7, but coming back to it I remembered exactly why I fell off; getting the final few side cases and friends was a lot of busy work that I didn't enjoy at all, and while I like Yagami, the supporting cast in Judgment wasn't my favorite (especially when compared to the Y7 cast, which is just aces) And while I liked Yagami's play style, I wish that most of Yagami's heat moves weren't just reskins of Kiryu's heat moves from previous games, but that's neither here or there.

The only two Yakuza games I have left to finish are Kiwami 2 and 6, but the reason why I didn't finish either is because I was playing them off of PS Plus and they went away before I could finish them, so that's it for the list until I get them on sale. In the meantime I'll either move on to Lost Judgment or Spider-Man 2 while I wait for Rebirth to drop

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Shard posted:

Try something that's short and gamey. I popped in castlevania rondo of blood and it feels so good sometimes to just play a video game rear end video game

This is a good call, the cure for learning Die Hardman’s real name might be a TMNT arcade game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The Humble Fighting Games Bundle has a ton of games for $20. Excluding the Street Fighters, you have over 50 Capcom games. Most of them are short and each should take about an hour to finish.

Keeper Garrett
May 4, 2006

Running messages and picking pockets since 1998.
I blasted through Deathloop. That was a lot of fun!

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Finished Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth

I feel a lot of conflicting thoughts about this game because it's the first Yakuza title I've been very excited to play. In fact, I believe this is the game I've been most hyped for since Portal 2. Due to this, some disappointments might be bigger than they would be otherwise, and I've definitely learned that watching trailers is a no-no for this series, considering they show stuff from final chapter without any care.

That said, it's still a very good Yakuza game, likely in top 3, but I think I've enjoyed it less than Yakuza 7.

It does a lot of things to be a better game, with more polished battle system and a ton of little QoL improvements that make playing it a blast. In particular, I've really enjoyed that exploration is somewhat tied into levelling up with the addition of overworld bosses - unique encounters that will grant good loot and good exp. If you like exploring but not grinding, they are a GREAT addition to RPG formula as just beating unique bosses will keep you on the level the game wants from you most of the time.

The story is probably one of the most simple for a Yakuza title, completely ditching insane conspiracies of PS3 era and focusing more on interpersonal relationships. No other title in the series spends so much time on slice-of-life moments, and they were all fantastic. That said, while the story is easy to follow and has plenty of good characters (Yamai, for example, being my favorite, with a great performance by Japanese DIO actor), the plot is fairly badly paced. First off, it takes way too long to start free roaming. While you do unlock Yokohama within an hour or so, it's pretty much empty, and only by around hour 6 of the playtime will you be introduced to new mechanics and side-stories.

The actual story also kicks into gear in chapter NINE. Before that it's relatively aimless, with characters looking for a person they can't find and just drifting from place to place meeting new people. Again, certain scenes are great, but overall story decides to be good only after the midpoint. I'd also argue it's not as gripping as Ichiban going after right-wingers and supporting sex work in 7, but when the aimlessness subsides it's still a really good time!

It seems to me that focus on relationships that's also been boosted outside of the main story with a TON of voiced content might've been the reason for what's likely my biggest disappointment with the game: the lack of substories.

The reason for Yakuza's success in the west, the side quests are a staple of the series, but with increasing expectation and more voiced scenes it seems there could only be so many, and unfortunately there are way too few: only around 60.

60 might not sound like a small amount, but there are a lot of them that are story-required or are a part of the chain of 4-6 stories. Some only exist to introduce a mini-game to you and can't really be called "stories". For example, Sicko Snap or Crazy Eats minigames have a "story" at the beginning, but it's only there to unlock a thing, and doing everything in those mini-games will not advance anything past "You've unlocked a thing". Overall, I'd say, there are only around 30 substories that are unique, contain an ending, and aren't part of a massive side activity.

While some stories are among the best in the series (Let It Snow might be one of, if not the best substory in the franchise), there are also some that are just bad. The series has seen its fair share of problematic moral lessons, but I feel they've always been relegated to comedic stories (Sure, Passport to Pizza from 0 does bring trafficked lady together with her trafficker but in a situation so over-the-top and absurd that it doesn't read as anything but devs doing surreal poo poo). Infinite Wealth, however, has hits such as "forced to work as a sex worker? Go to jail!" which is presented as a drama with a good ending. The chain of bonds Ichiban has with a few female NPCs might, however, be the worst side-content in Yakuza, effectively having 5 or 6 substories where Kasuga is raped. It's all very cartoony, sure, but it's still a tired old joke about a woman overpowering a man. What sucks is that quite a few of those characters are pretty good, so ending their quests just makes them into a rapist. Cool. I guess I can only be thankful weird mixed messaging about sexual abuse isn't a part of the main plot much like one other series SEGA owns now. It's especially weird considering similar quests were in 7, but aside from the somewhat cringey finale just hinted at normal consensual sex.

Side stories might be my big problem with the game, but side content definitely isn't. The game features some of the best and most involved side activities of any Yakuza title, two of which could be complete games on their own with a bit more polish:

Sujimon - a name for enemies in the game - have now received a complete Pokemon facelift, and you're now able to capture and battle them in separate battles. It's an involved chain that also unlocks a separate class that can use your tamed weirdos to do spells. Catching Sujimon can be achieved through normal random encounters, trainer battles, a gacha system, or raids: specific battles that appear around the map that will give you a chance to snag a leader of said battle;

Dondoko Island is an Animal Crossing-like with you having to catch bugs, fish, collect stuff, craft, farm, build, and manage guests. Effectively every asset from the series is here to craft and decorate your island with to make it into a resort, and it's wild how much there is to it, and how different it is from the main game. I was glued for it for hours at a time, and thanks to its progresive rewards that raise any bug/fish's price every few times you catch one along with tons of in-game achiements and rewards it always felt like I'm doing something. If there's one thing I didn't really like is that there are very few assets you can decorate with that actually fit - most will just turn your paradise into Kamurocho 2.

There are other minigames too, of course: MissMatch for example is a culmination of all things sleazy in the series, asking you to create and edit a profile on a dating site, pick responses, and get a date with a hot girl while they keep sending you feet pics for chatting well. Racing games, puzzles, a few arcade ports, a friend system, randomized dungeons - this game is full of stuff. It doesn't feature as much side-content as Yakuza 5 did, which effectively was 5 or 6 games in one, but I'd also argue it's not as boring on the story-side as Yakuza 5 was.

I will say, however, that this game is not a place to start on. It's not only Yakuza 7: Part 2, but also yet another apology for botched Yakuza 6 ending with how it finally gives closure to Kiryu's saga. Due to this you'll be assaulted with references and things that won't emotionally resonate with a newcomer throughout big chunks of the story. However, for any long-time fan all of this is a treat.

Throughout my 100 hour playthough (which is not over thanks to some post-game content and a few other things I want to check out) a slightly long intro and a little too few substories are basically my only complaints.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I beat all five endings to NieR:Automata. What a beautiful game. I can see why some people revere it so much. It's sure not flawless, but once you get past the first two endings it really takes off.

I thought it was interesting, that only 17% of people got the achievement for finding all the pods. There's only one of them that's actually hidden. I didn't even realize it was hidden because I acquired it the first and only time I fished, which I thought was something the game had told me to do. Shrug!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Keeper Garrett posted:

I blasted through Deathloop. That was a lot of fun!

I loved my time playing the game but I did feel like I'd done EVERYTHING there was to do by the time it was done, I understand they changed the finish to be a bit more in-your-face with what happened to everybody else who were unknowingly reliving the loop as well? When I finished playing it the ending was, if I remember correctly, you wake up in a now barren world untold centuries (millennia?) after the loop was started and your daughter walks away pissed off which felt pretty threadbare.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
While I intend to play through the DLC, I finished the main thread of The Case of the Golden Idol and wanted to talk about it a bit.

A masterpiece of storytelling that lets you fill in the blanks about an odd golden idol and the lengths the characters will go to to have it and use its powers. Also the gameplay is literally filling in blanks about the who what when where and why of increasingly complicated murders.

I loved the game's hands-off approach to telling its story. All the pieces are there but nothing's too explicit. There were times where I had just enough of a clue to put the details together and would surprise myself by reaching the correct conclusion. I'd think, "well how was I supposed to know that for sure?" Then I'd poke around the scene some more and there would be something I had overlooked, misremembered, or overthought that made the conclusion seem obvious and clever as hell in retrospect.

Like I said I'm eager to get home from work today to stumble through the DLC, which seems to explain some of the backstory. Also thrilled to see there's a sequel in the works that takes place 300 years after the first. Hotly anticipating that one!

Keeper Garrett
May 4, 2006

Running messages and picking pockets since 1998.

Jerusalem posted:

I loved my time playing the game but I did feel like I'd done EVERYTHING there was to do by the time it was done, I understand they changed the finish to be a bit more in-your-face with what happened to everybody else who were unknowingly reliving the loop as well? When I finished playing it the ending was, if I remember correctly, you wake up in a now barren world untold centuries (millennia?) after the loop was started and your daughter walks away pissed off which felt pretty threadbare.

Same here with the game length, it was just getting to the stage where I was a little bored of it.

That expanded ending felt natural and I was surprised that it was added on.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

You can't really "beat" most Harvest Moon-types but I just 100%ed Story Of Seasons: Friends Of Mineral Town (a remake of Harvest Moon: Friends Of Mineral Town on the GBA) in the sense that I finished all of its 35 achievements.

The first 30 or so achievements took me maybe 3-4 ingame years. Most of them were trivial. I had 34 of the 35 achievements by Year 5.

However, I did not finish the final achievement until Year 10. The achievement... for cooking every single recipe.

You might think that means there's a lot of recipes, or they're otherwise complicated. No. 119 of 120 of its recipes are rather simple, all things considered. Just grow every crop at least once, keep every type of animal, keep some of the produce around in your fridge (it never goes bad), do a bit of foraging, and bob's your uncle. It's a bit of a pain to unlock some of the recipes, and the game doesn't keep track of which ones you've crafted, so you have to use a notepad file to meticulously document them - but whatever, I've done worse in games.

There are 4 non-edible things you can craft in your kitchen that serve absolutely no ingame purpose. The Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter Suns. They're just... little completionist things. Like, for one of them you have to combine 1 of every flower. Another one combines a bunch of jewels you can find in the mine. Since you have to cook every recipe for the achievement, you have to "cook" these too. And one of them is far, far, FAR worse than the others.

Enter: the Autumn Sun.

The Autumn Sun requires you to combine the best quality produce of every basic animal type in the game. In order to get this, you have to have a prize-winning animal - the contests take place once per year. This will cause them to produce Gold items (so, Gold Milk, Gold Eggs, etc). The prize-winning animal has to have spent 1000 ingame hours outside, at something like 12 hours a day if you let them out first thing in the morning, which only works in sunny weather. This will cause them to produce Platinum items (Platinum Milk, etc). Then there is X quality produce, the highest level of all (X Milk, etc).

X quality items... are a 1 in 255 chance from a Platinum-producing animal.

That's right, it's loving random! :unsmigghh:

Fortunately, you can cheat *some* of it. For eggs and milk, you can simply combine one of every preceding level (so Small Egg+Medium egg+Large egg+Gold egg+Platinum egg can be crafted to create an X Egg). You can then do it again to get X Mayonnaise and X Cheese (which are easily produced from Eggs and Cheese, respectively), leaving X Wool and X Yarn (which is created by putting X Wool into a machine).

So, a 1 in 255 chance from a prizewinning sheep.

You can ONLY shear sheep every 7 ingame days.

And you need this to happen twice.

You cannot simply buy 15 sheep to accelerate this process because, again, they need to win a once-yearly contest to be eligible.

Great news: your animals cannot die and sheep keep producing wool even if you don't feed them. I spent 5 INGAME YEARS getting up, going back to bed, repeating this until it was a Shearing Day, running into my barn, shearing my sheep, not otherwise feeding or interacting with them at all, then going back to bed for 7 more days, not even speaking to my ingame husband or toddler.

:shepface:

Achievement hunt for the remake of the game from your childhood, I said. It'll be fun, I said

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 20, 2024

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I finished Cocoon — I feel like it got poorly received earlier in this thread but I really enjoyed it! It's certainly not very difficult and extremely linear, but the atmosphere and vibes are amazing. I really enjoyed the deeply alien environments and the juxtaposition of cute and sinister throughout. It's not going to scratch a hardcore puzzle itch like Recursed or something but it's a treat nonetheless.

GarbiTheGlitchress
May 14, 2012

Trains to lift up and protect her friends... and maybe to pick them up and carry them when they are tired :)
After having it for about 20 years, I finally finished Metroid Prime for the first time on a randomizer! I made it all the way to the Impact Crater about 15 years ago, but never got around to finishing it. Really fun game, and the exploration was a lot of fun. I wasn't a fan of the Chozo Ghosts spawning everywhere in Chozo Ruins, though, especially since I didn't have super missiles for them on this seed. I ended up doing Omega Pirate without Super Missiles, which you normally have, because they were located at an item pickup at Magmoor Caverns that I wasn't aware of(the randomizer does show pickup locations on the map, but I wasn't aware of how the map worked when I passed by there at first. Took 2 tries for Meta Ridley, getting him down to a pixel of health before losing the first time, then having about 3/4 of my health remaining the next time :cool: The final boss also took 2 attempts, and the fight felt like it went on a bit long, but it was certainly tense, at least. I went back and got Ice Spreader after losing the first time, which helped a lot with the first phase.

Also used this randomizer playthrough to learn some of the speedrun tricks, like dashing and L-jumping. Also did the Space Jump early trick, which got me early missiles. It was tricky, but barely possible to get back out without space jump. The movement in the game is a lot of fun, and could see myself doing more randomizers and maybe speedrunning it. May finally go back and finish Metroid Prime Remastered now, now that I know where Plasma is.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tiny Myers posted:

Great news: your animals cannot die and sheep keep producing wool even if you don't feed them. I spent 5 INGAME YEARS getting up, going back to bed, repeating this until it was a Shearing Day, running into my barn, shearing my sheep, not otherwise feeding or interacting with them at all, then going back to bed for 7 more days, not even speaking to my ingame husband or toddler.

:shepface:

This was really similar to how my rune factory 5 save ended when I tried to get the last couple quests done. Seems like a theme in farm games. once I finally maxed out friendship with every villager, I had nothing left to do besides maintain maybe 4 gold crops a day for the last quest. For a long time I maintained several huge plots of farmland covered end to end with crops and religiously handed out gifts to every villager each day, and by the end my daily routine was just waking up, wordlessly running past my husband, checking a few lonely crops on the edge of a fallow wasteland, and then going back to sleep for 23 hours. might have made sure there was still enough fodder for my monsters to live on, but they never saw me again. never had a baby though because that takes something like 5 weeks in RF5 and I had absolutely nothing left to do in the game by the time I even got to the point where it's an option.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

fridge corn posted:

I beat Lies of P yesterday. What a phenomenal game. The only soulslike that I've been able to stand more than 10 minutes of let alone finish. Fantastic from beginning to end and the sequel hook is insane. I can't describe how much I want to play that next potential game right now lmao

I really hope we get a female protagonist. A soulslike with a magical girl would be very funny and cool.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

just finished Please, Touch The Artwork 2, a neat little free hidden object game where you spend about an hour walking through paintings to click on things for people

tag urself, im the highlighted farter

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I finished playing through the remasters of Life is Strange and Before the Storm that I foolishly purchased in a fit of madness bundled with True Colors.

The Before the Storm remaster is legit just a worse version of the game, the graphic improvements are not that amazing and BTS had better graphics to start with and it added a bunch of audio bugs that caused about a half dozen voicelines to just not play. It didn't change anything about the awful voice acting for the background characters which is the main thing that game needed improvement in. The remaster of the original is more of a wash as the graphic improvements look better and make more of a difference, but there were two glitched areas where an an interactable just didn't appear one of which came back when I reset the whole game and the other I had to go search online to find a very specific order to solve a problem in before it would appear that would have basically hard locked the game for me if someone hadn't figure out a convoluted workaround.

The masses were right, just buy the originals.

SlothBear fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 21, 2024

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

My daughter and I played through the remaster and I was so upset that the music at the end glitched out on like 4 of the 5 episodes.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Shard posted:

My daughter and I played through the remaster and I was so upset that the music at the end glitched out on like 4 of the 5 episodes.

Yeah the ending montage of LIS chapter 1, which one of the coolest moments in playing through it for the first time in the original, had like a strobe light flashing over it or something. Completely ruined the impact.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/1760335427070759176

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Finally got around to playing through the first Metal Gear Solid this past week. I really liked it overall, but in a bit of a weird way. There are enough issues with pacing, boss fight design jankiness, and the dated controls that I didn't love every moment actually playing it, but its whole vibe sucked me in enough that I just couldn't stop playing it.

It's been an interesting journey through the series, since I started with MGSV a few years ago and slowly worked my way back through the big titles. I absolutely love the gameplay feel in that one, so going back through the older ones has been a hurdle, on the controls end in particular. But this one clicked much more than I expected, and got me psyched to go through 2 & 3 again, which I didn't really expect last time I played them.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

it's hard to overstate how ahead of their time mgs1 and 2 were, 1 in particular was trying to do all kinds of poo poo with controls and scenarios at a time when "a platformer but 3d" was pretty good

I'm still hearing about stupid bullshit hidden in 2

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

victrix posted:

it's hard to overstate how ahead of their time mgs1 and 2 were, 1 in particular was trying to do all kinds of poo poo with controls and scenarios at a time when "a platformer but 3d" was pretty good

I'm still hearing about stupid bullshit hidden in 2

And if you're willing to dig into older games from consoles Western folks often never saw, Metal Gear 1 and 2 were doing some of that stuff on the MSX. Some people say the Solid series was "when it got weird" but no, that's just when they found out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Metal Gear Solid takes a whole lot of cues from Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake.