Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That poo poo happens all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Ccs posted:

This is interesting. I’ve seen other authors criticized in the past for cribbing sentences and sentence structure from earlier books but surprising to see it happened with one of the biggest names.

Not to defend Dune but a few of those are literally just Caucus mountain proverbs that appeared in both, almost certainly introduced to Herbert by Blanch but not made up by her whole cloth. This comes around every few years.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

Not to defend Dune but a few of those are literally just Caucus mountain proverbs that appeared in both, almost certainly introduced to Herbert by Blanch but not made up by her whole cloth. This comes around every few years.

And Chakobsa is a real language, also from the Caucasus, and those words were taken from it.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
I find it remarkable someone assembled that list but also thought a meteor in the sky when a leader dies is a novel idea to be stolen.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Red Mars (Mars #1) by Kim Stanley Robinson - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QCS914/

Hammerfall (Gene Wars #1) by CJ Cherryh - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FC122S/

The John Varley Reader: Thirty Years of Short Fiction - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CZM2MFZ/

The Burning God (Poppy War #3) by RF Kuang - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084VP8KNB/

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Slyphic posted:

I find it remarkable someone assembled that list but also thought a meteor in the sky when a leader dies is a novel idea to be stolen.

(Guy who has only read sabers of paradise, now reading about the emperor Constantine) whoa…getting some real sabers of paradise vibes here

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
it's kinda like if someone made a chart that said: wow this book uses katanas and has muramasa the swordsmith and talks about Bushido, and it uses words like keikaku and domo arigato just like this other book that came out a few years before it!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Slyphic posted:

that's actually copied from the video game crusader kings

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Every dlc adding another option that still just decreased stability was very funny.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
I think my TBR Order is finishing Stormlight Archives > Red Rising > Sword of Kaigen. I want to read ASOIAF, but I don't want to be completely sucked in and then have to wait till GRRM decides actually to finish a book.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I think my TBR Order is finishing Stormlight Archives > Red Rising > Sword of Kaigen. I want to read ASOIAF, but I don't want to be completely sucked in and then have to wait till GRRM decides actually to finish a book.

He's not finishing the series. Just gown that and you'll be a much happier person.

Speaking of GRRM, I just re-read Tuf Voyaging and, so far, most of Dreamsongs vol. 1. Tuf Voyaging is excellent and has some really hard hitting and memorable scenes, highly recommended. Dreamsongs is an anthology organized by phases of his career and style. Early works, sci fi that got nominated for awards, horror, and so on. He's got introductions to each group of stories. In the preface to the horror section, he talks about which ones he thought were his best and why, and why he considered Sandkings to be his weakest out of the set.

I can see why he thought that. In In the Meat House he crafted an inherently creepy and horrific setting, and then took his protagonist on a very tragic inner emotional arc. In Sandkings all he did was set up a horrible, absolute poo poo person and then have him get his just desserts. From the author's perspective, In the Meat House is the much more complicated and meaningful story. From a reader's perspective the only uncertainty is how many people he's going to drag down to hell with him.

I also like how In the Meat House has person to person interstellar video calls, but no CallerID. Anyway, Dreamsongs has some truly great short fiction in it.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

mllaneza posted:

He's not finishing the series. Just gown that and you'll be a much happier person.

Yeah, that's what I keep hearing and reading so in that case:

Stormlight Archives > Red Rising Series > Sword of Kaigen > Mistborn Saga > Burning Series

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Does GRRM have any kids to cash in on his legacy and add 15 more ghostwritten books to the series?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

bagrada posted:

Does GRRM have any kids to cash in on his legacy and add 15 more ghostwritten books to the series?

he doesn't need to worry about a Brian Herbert situation god bless.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

it's kinda like if someone made a chart that said: wow this book uses katanas and has muramasa the swordsmith and talks about Bushido, and it uses words like keikaku and domo arigato just like this other book that came out a few years before it!

Not really, they're fairly clear borrowings.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I don't feel strongly enough to argue a ton, but it feels to me like they seem more directly taken because they both directly took from the source material of that culture. The direct borrowings are mostly the actual sayings from the people in the caucus mountains and actual words in the language they were taken from. And the stuff like a celestial event happening in concurrence with a worldly one to mark the fantastical or religious nature of the worldly event just aren't worth pointing out as appearing in both. It's ok if you disagree though, the books are both like 60 years old.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

I think more precisely, many of the human characters in Blindsight are coded as being non-neurotypical in some way, and Siri specifically is heavily coded (though not explicitly described) as autistic.

Yes, clearly. Granting that my personal experience of the non-neurotypical is pretty much high-functioning people, you'd expect that a crew sent on this mission would also be high-functioning.

To their credit, they acquit themselves better than the scientists in the movie Prometheus/ Actually, that's not giving them much credit at all.

mllaneza posted:

The good news: GRRM left instructions to have another author finish ASoIaF should he die.
The bad news: He wants Patrick Rothfuss to do it.

Having a rough few weeks so I just read through Bridge of Birds in two days and am on to the sequels. Still pissed off there aren't more of them.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

pradmer posted:

The Burning God (Poppy War #3) by RF Kuang - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084VP8KNB/

anyone want to share their reckons on this series?

I liked Babel a lot, mostly because the politics of it interested me, but I found the characters bland and the narrative poorly paced.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

voiceless anal fricative posted:

I liked Babel a lot, mostly because the politics of it interested me, but I found the characters bland and the narrative poorly paced.

The first book in the series mixes in a lot of influences in its first half including some relatively enjoyable wizard school stuff before spiraling down into a fantasy version of the Sino-Japanese war from the 30s up to and including an extremely depressing and graphic version of the rape of Nanking/Nanjing. i finished that and the second book which is a brutal slog, is even grimmer and features the protagonist struggling unsuccessfully with a crippling heroin addiction and also PTSD, depression and generally being a complete dick to everyone. i dont know anything about the third book because you couldnt pay me enough to read it.

buffalo all day fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 20, 2024

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

buffalo all day posted:

The first book in the series mixes in a lot of influences in its first half including some relatively enjoyable wizard school stuff before spiraling down into a fantasy version of the Sino-Japanese war from the 30s up to and including an extremely depressing and graphic version of the rape of Nanking/Nanjing. i finished that and the second book which is a brutal slog, is even grimmer and features the protagonist struggling unsuccessfully with a crippling heroin addiction and also PTSD, depression and generally being a complete dick to everyone. i dont know anything about the third book because you couldnt pay me enough to read it.

The third book is an even more depressing slog with an even more depressing ending

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I devoured Invader, the sequel. I think it's a far better book than Foreigner. Looking forward to reading the third one.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Hi. I have strong opinions on The Poppy War:

Leng posted:

Alright, I have finished both Iron Widow and The Poppy War, as well as Scholomance. And interestingly, I liked Iron Widow and Scholomance more than I liked The Poppy War, which is not what I expected.

branedotorg posted:

I read the first two TPW books and I'm not sure what all the fuss was about. Very grim, very self indulgent. The historical inspiration is a horrific bit of history and it captures the scale but I didn't think much of the pacing of the book (first half generic wizard school stuff but Asia) then straight into total war.

The love interest and addiction stuff didn't work for me either.

So the historical aspects of it certainly came through, but in a very simplified way. If you know the events you can pretty much piece together which parts were inspired by what, and in many cases, not even inspired by, just straight up yanked in from real life. (And then recombined in ways that kind of make you go huh?)

Where Kuang falls short for me is for her characters, and this ties into the pacing of the book. There's a lot of summarizing over time skips and there's a little of scenes that don't do much other than drop exposition. I lost count of how many times Rin's struggles were summarized instead of dramatized. In no particular order, here are the most significant bits skipped over in a sentence or two, or at most, a scene:
- studying for the Keju exam
- trying to learn martial arts from a book
- hauling a pig up and down a mountain every day for 4 months
- learning how to meditate
- learning how to access the Pantheon

It was the meditation/Pantheon skip that annoyed me the most, because it is the foundation for everything else that happens in the rest of the book.

In short, for the first part of the book, very few of Rin's struggles felt visceral, and very few of the moments of victory feel like they were in doubt. We didn't really get enough time with many of the characters to really get attached to them. By the time Part II rolled around and a bunch of named characters died, I kind of just went, oh okay, I guess that's bad, and didn't feel much, if anything. The love interest and addiction stuff didn't work for me either as a result.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

The Poppy War is so tonally weird, man.

Like, the individual halves work really well as two distinct books, but it feels like there's a smash cut from Martial Arts Hogwarts to (spoilered both for content and :nms:) the not-IJA raping severed heads and it's really kinda ... I mean the overall book is sound but that particular weld is really struggling to hold the weight, it jack-knifes from YA to the grimmest of grimdark so loving fast.

Scorched Spitz posted:

I mean, it begins with the lead character getting hooked on opium in order to pass the entrance exam.

Wellllll technically the opium addiction came later. The beginning was self-mutilation with candle wax to stay awake in order to study.

Honestly, I feel like the whole Sinegard sequence was mostly unnecessary back story on the page. It's the same complaint I had with Tané's arc in Priory of the Orange Tree. Real conflicts and the meat of the story starts when the war begins.

I still don't know how I feel about the level of grimdark in the book. Mainly because I came away from it with the feeling that I was more affected by the shock factor of the graphic violence (and mostly because of my familiarity with the real historical events that were the basis of it) than because of the characters in the book.

Like the Red Wedding was a big deal not just because of the shock factor of the violence, but because of what it meant for the characters. In The Poppy War, it just kind of happens, and there's only 3 named minor characters who were present when said horrors were occurring.

And the other part, with the chimei fight. That should have been a scene full of tension and stakes, but it felt flat for me. None of the relationships had been developed enough, so I really didn't buy the emotions that were happening on the page.

Leng posted:

Alright I have finished reading The Dragon Republic. It's basically more of what you get in The Poppy War. Uncanny valley of neither historical fiction nor original fantasy continues but now we're in the period where not-Britain makes its move. Rin continues being mostly passive, being pushed around by other characters, and seesawing wildly between one extreme to another. Characters and character relationships continue to be underdeveloped, though this book has slightly better character writing than the first book by virtue of having more pages to develop them. But I still do not buy Rin and Nezha. Or her other relationships with the Cike. At all. So the ending had very little emotional impact for me. But eh, it does what a sequel is supposed to do, so it's fine.

Leng posted:

Have now finished The Burning God.

It's better written at the sentence and scene level but the character work remains lacking and it's kind of a structural mess. The best written portion is Part I, which actually did build decently and looked like we were going to get some semblance of actual character development for Rin and get some series level payoffs for the Trifecta. Then it all basically falls apart from there.

Rin continues to flip back and forth more often than a seesaw. Kitay continues to be ineffectual at checking Rin's worst impulses and has no agency of his own. Nezha continues to have no clear and consistent motivation of his own.

(Note I haven't read the side story The Drowning Faith okay I have now read this and it's less a side story and more 15 pages of what looks like deleted first draft Nezha POVs and his motivations still make no sense because none of the character work necessary to make those convincing happened.)

The plot is...random isn't really the right word for it seeing as how it's basically copy pasted from recent history but the weird uncanny valley of not being historical fiction and not truly an original fantasy really magnifies all the flaws. It's like someone got a puzzle, took the pieces they liked and left the other 80% in the box, and then tried to build it by mashing similar-looking but definitely not the right pieces together and papering over the rest with DIY cardboard cutouts. You can tell what they were trying to do but the final picture just makes no sense.

The entirety of Part II is incredibly :wtf: to the point where it seems like it was a plot contrivance to a) shoehorn in an analogy to a historical event for ??? reasons and b) get out of a corner caused by introducing the original fantasy elements because Rin literally had no way of getting rid of the Trifecta on her own.

Part III was straight up nonsensical. The climax fight scene of the battle at Arlong was an rear end pull. Lampshading it did not make it any better. The final scene and the epilogue could've worked if the character work was there, but it wasn't and so everything fell flat. Every time "I love/d him/her" came up made me :rolleyes: and go "Really? When did that happen?"

Is it super bad? No, I guess, in that I'm not hopping mad like I was after DNFing Babel at the end of Ch 1. I genuinely do not get the hype though. I hope I enjoy The Grace of Kings more.

TL;DR: you will not get improved characters in TPW. Can't speak to pacing seeing as I rage-quit Babel but I don't recall it being a slog. But if East Asian fantasy is what you're after, imo there are a lot of much better written books out there.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Apparently everyone's significant other goes head over heels for The Green Bone Saga

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

i read the first book, and felt there was no reason to continue beyond that, both from a plot perspective and from a personal perspective (which is rare, since i'll read any old sequel if the first book even halfway interests me)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

If you're reading pre-TSOIAF GRRM, please please read Fevre Dream.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Kestral posted:

The book is excellent sci-fi / horror on a lot of levels, and its strength isn't in a twist, but the crashing realization of everything that's happened up to that point is very effective. If you've read all the posts in the last couple pages, it will probably reduce your enjoyment of the book. The relative lack of spoiler tags has been pretty disappointing.

Not having a go at you but it was published in 2006, at what point do supplier tags become redundant?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The book where you start out with "gently caress this steamboat poo poo, where's the vampires" and end up "gently caress these vampires, I want steamboats!"

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

branedotorg posted:

Not having a go at you but it was published in 2006, at what point do supplier tags become redundant?

When the piece of media is so ubiquitous that everyone knows Vader is Luke’s dad, as opposed to a fairly niche novel that I’ve barely ever seen discussed outside of SA.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Kestral posted:

When the piece of media is so ubiquitous that everyone knows Vader is Luke’s dad, as opposed to a fairly niche novel that I’ve barely ever seen discussed outside of SA.

the desire to post 'he's WHAT'

branedotorg posted:

They never become redundant because there are always young readers who might be about to start a classic for the first time. (Note that I am murder mystery reader and if I get spoiled on whodunnit I explode into rage and hold a grudge)

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Inheritor, the third book in the Foreigner series, starts with a really hamfisted recap of the previous two books. That's such a terrible choice; the way the second book literally dragged the character out of his sickbed and tossed him into the continuation of the plot was one of the best parts about it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

thotsky posted:

Inheritor, the third book in the Foreigner series, starts with a really hamfisted recap of the previous two books. That's such a terrible choice; the way the second book literally dragged the character out of his sickbed and tossed him into the continuation of the plot was one of the best parts about it.

Bad news: the hamfisted recaps will not go away and will become even more annoying as the series goes on.

me, on my fourth reread of the tenth book: oh my god I know what a paidhi is

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
there are so many of those books. my gosh.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

the desire to post 'he's WHAT'

lol I literally quoted it and wrote "the gently caress" before deciding it wasn't that funny and closed the window without posting, the impulse was a strong one

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Bad news: the hamfisted recaps will not go away and will become even more annoying as the series goes on.

me, on my fourth reread of the tenth book: oh my god I know what a paidhi is

Yeah I just skip them. I think it would be better (read: more skippable) if they were sectioned off into a distinct "previously on Foreigner" section, though.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Short stories:
Driving Blind by Ray Bradbury - $2.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C4TJACO/
Now and Forever: Somewhere a Band Is Playing & Leviathan '99 by Ray Bradbury - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BS8P7W4/
More Than the Sum of His Parts: Collected Stories by Joe Haldeman - $3.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088JPK61G/

And KJ Parker:
Folding Knife - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0035IICZO/
Sharps - $2.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PCQYW8S/
Pattern (Scavenger #2) - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B3VX3Y0/
The Escapement (Engineer #3) - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010SEMLE/

Are any of Joe Haldeman's novels worth reading besides Forever War? He's got a bunch but I've never seen them mentioned.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Not really!

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Maybe the Hemingway Hoax and Camouflage? They won prizes but I don't hear anyone talk about them ever

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

pradmer posted:

Are any of Joe Haldeman's novels worth reading besides Forever War? He's got a bunch but I've never seen them mentioned.

He has a couple of interesting Star Trek books (in the old Bantam line, not the better-known Pocket Books one), and The Forever Peace is decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, Haldeman's Star Trek novels, Planet of Judgement and World Without End, are a cut above the glorified fanfic being published under the Trek banner back then. (The less said about the Marshak-Culbreath novels, the better.)

I remember liking There Is No Darkness and Mindbridge, but it's been a very long time since I read them so I have no idea how well they've aged.