Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

For the record, Helena Bonham Carter was really good on some Miami Vice episodes. And there should be an animated Miami Vice movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Heavy Metal posted:

For the record, Helena Bonham Carter was really good on some Miami Vice episodes. And there should be an animated Miami Vice movie.

Sorry, this is the closest you’re gonna get:

https://youtu.be/kZu5iDTtNg0?si=1maO1xT67bgz_B1i

Edit: Moonbeam City kind of sort of, but that got memory-holed into a supermassive black hole.

Boogaloo Shrimp fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 18, 2024

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Moonbeam City really was a poor man's Archer that seem to have expected the Vaporwave aesthetics and Synth-pop to carry the show. and the mayor's sexual exploitation of Pizzaz is treated as a comedy bit

It might have improved if given another season, but there's kind of a reason why it ended up getting memory-holed.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Sorry, this is the closest you’re gonna get:

https://youtu.be/kZu5iDTtNg0?si=1maO1xT67bgz_B1i

Edit: Moonbeam City kind of sort of, but that got memory-holed into a supermassive black hole.

Nice! There's also that Lasagna Cat Miami Vice bit, which is live-action based on a comic strip that feels like a cartoon.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Lord Hydronium posted:

It also has the dubious honor of being the first movie chronologically to get a content warning about offensive stereotypes on Disney Plus, and the less said about that the better.

Only because they cut the worst racism from Fantasia instead of leaving it in with a warning.

Dumbo and Bambi are my mom's favorite Disney films. I saw them tons as a kid. I can still recall most of Bambi but Dumbo... yeah there isn't much there in terms of a memorable plot. Just a few memorable scenes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Quite a lot of movies from that era are basically setpieces strung together with a pretty loose plot, often where a protagonist basically just pinballs around and has an arc thrown in somewhere.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah that's definitely accurate of Pinocchio too, I guess the main difference is the set pieces are just better. Like there's a part where a magic dove just drops a piece of paper with exposition on them so they can go to the next plot point. "BTW Gepetto went looking for you and got swallowed by a whale named Monstro"

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Helena Bonham Carter hasn’t been in a Tim Burton film in over ten years, can we get a new joke?

eva green isn't as fun to type as helena bonham carter

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah that's definitely accurate of Pinocchio too, I guess the main difference is the set pieces are just better. Like there's a part where a magic dove just drops a piece of paper with exposition on them so they can go to the next plot point. "BTW Gepetto went looking for you and got swallowed by a whale named Monstro"
This, and also I think Pinocchio just has a stronger throughline of Pinocchio himself being tempted by the world, and Geppetto and Jiminy Cricket trying to keep him on the straight and narrow. Bambi does this too in its own way, with all of its episodes focusing on the journey of growing up and dealing with things like romance and mortality, plus the environmental message running through the whole thing. Dumbo is kind of all over the place in comparison; if there's a central theme, it's the idea that everyone has something to offer even if they don't fit in to what's considered normal, but in terms of screen time that's a relatively small part and most of the movie is just random stuff that happens to Dumbo along the way.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 19, 2024

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/loudtoon99/status/1759613411682394403?s=46&t=8qKeRz1MPwpnqaU9WYBJgg

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

World War II, particularly the US entry into it, basically ended the Golden Age of Disney. Besides the effects of the strike, the drafting of working age men, and the loss of European markets, the Disney team was recruited to make propaganda films for the war effort. Meanwhile, FDR launched the Good Neighbor policy with the idea that since it was important to keep the Nazis from getting friendly with Latin American governments, the US should maybe try not being so terrible there. Part of this policy was a cultural exchange effort, and Disney cartoons looked like a great venue for that. Which brings us to the two wartime movies, Saludos Amigos and The Three Caballeros.

Saludos Amigos
This is less of a movie and more of a short travelogue (it's only 43 minutes) with four animated segments. For some reason this gets an offensive stereotype warning at the beginning, and I'm not really sure why, since it never gets much worse than a little exoticism over these cultures by the narrator. The opening to this one basically spells out the premise, with our narrator explaining that the Disney team flew down to South America to learn about their cultures as we see footage of the animators boarding their plane. Every animated sequence is preceded with a few minutes of live action showing footage of the real life inspiration, and the Disney team themselves hanging out. I like these bits. The shorts themselves are fairly slight, but entertaining. First we have Donald trying to ride an ornery llama over a rickety suspension bridge as we learn about Lake Titicaca and the Incas. Then a short about a baby mail plane called Pedro crossing the Andes to Chile and dealing with bad weather and angry mountains. It's cute. Then a segment with Goofy as a gaucho which is mostly based on him getting into various slapstick scenarios, and finally a bit with a Brazilian parrot named José Carioca, who teaches Donald about cachaça and samba. José was created as outreach for Brazilian audiences, and apparently he caught on there, so mission accomplished I guess. Overall I liked this one.

The Three Caballeros
Saludos Amigos was popular enough to get a sequel, and this time they expanded the scope by adding in Mexico. This also gets the stereotype warning, though I understand it more this time since our representative of Mexico, Panchito, is your pretty standard bandito stereotype. This is also divided into three segments, with a framing device of Donald getting presents in the mail from Latin America for his birthday. The first is a film about birds, which consists of a story about a penguin who wants to live in the tropics, some assorted comedic bits about toucans and other South American birds, and the best one, a story by an unseen narrator about the time he found a flying donkey as a boy and entered it in a race. The narration is very self aware and entertaining, and it ends on a genuinely funny twist.

The next gift is José Carioca coming back to shrink Donald down and take him through a book to Bahia, Brazil, where they dance with some live action characters (that the technology wasn't really up to at the time) and we learn Donald really, really likes human women. This will be important. My favorite bit here is probably Donald getting jealous over a male suitor of the dancer he's interested in, and José helpfully handing him a giant cartoon mallet to hit the guy with. At the end, José uses "black magic" (his words) to return them to normal size.

The final gift is from Panchito Pistoles, a pistol-packing rooster from Mexico. This segment starts off disarmingly normal as Panchito tells us about piñatas and Christmas traditions. They sing the movie's main theme, then fly around various scenes in Mexico where Donald ogles a bunch of live action ladies, and seriously, he is really into this. And then as our final segment in this trip to Mexico, the animators give us a salute to peyote.

I don't really know how to describe this segment, it's weird. It starts with a live action singer whose face is superimposed on a cartoon night sky, and then a flower, and then Donald turns into a hummingbird and tries to seduce her, and then everything goes neon, and she transforms into José and Panchito who sing a sped up version of the main theme, and Donald is in a bull costume and fighting Panchito while José shoves firecrackers into him, and along the way this happens:

It's such a bizarre fever dream, and that's the note on which the movie ends. I think I liked it, but maybe that's the psychedelic effects of the movie talking.

mystes
May 31, 2006

That's weird. I wonder why Netflix would do that

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

mystes posted:

Oscar hype.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

They just won a couple of Annie awards (voice acting and writing) so maybe just trying to ride that (very niche) wave?

But mostly

SolarFire2 posted:

Oscar hype.

Yeah

mystes
May 31, 2006

SolarFire2 posted:

Oscar hype.
ah yeah that makes sense

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Lord Hydronium posted:

The Three Caballeros
"Have you been to Baia, Donald?" has such intense musicality. It's been lodged in my brain for 30+ years.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Watched Brave for the first time. Overall I found it very pretty and a generally charming movie. There was some odd incongruity between the level of detail in the characters' hair versus their skin. Like the hair could hold up to any animated hair today, but the skin looked very flat and textureless. The story was simple compared to what I expect from Pixar, right down to the very trope-y "you have until [time] or the spell becomes permanent!" But I don't mind simple, the relationship between mother/daughter was very sweet.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I kinda wish more movies were structured like dumbo. I like the idea of chapters pertaining to a certain theme, versus something like an arc.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC Sword in the Stone is similar, though like other adaptations it probably gets that from the source material, the early section of Once and Future King that similarly has various disconnected vignettes.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Lord Hydronium posted:

(The Three Caballeros talk)

I haven't seen the movies themselves, but I appreciated that José and Panchito later show up in other Donald Duck-related media as genuine friends of Donald Duck that value and respect him, and actually highlight that despite his frequent misfortunes, Donald Duck had accumulated a wealth of experience in being an adventurer just by association with his uncle and nephews.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
https://twitter.com/yuhkidemers/status/1759965713719235056?t=vC4KHGtPWMO0bnCxkn3uVQ&s=19

As good of an idea as this is for a movie, it's really lovely that this is where we're at culturally. "We don't wanna finance this movie, but if you can make it viral on the internet we'll consider it." These companies really are run by robots huh.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
They apparently decided that Deadpool worked so they have to emulate it down to the viral-to-greenlight production part

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sourdough Sam posted:

https://twitter.com/yuhkidemers/status/1759965713719235056?t=vC4KHGtPWMO0bnCxkn3uVQ&s=19

As good of an idea as this is for a movie, it's really lovely that this is where we're at culturally. "We don't wanna finance this movie, but if you can make it viral on the internet we'll consider it." These companies really are run by robots huh.
Batman: Into the Batmanverse

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Terry McGinnis is already basically Miles Morales but with Batman but by that same token I'm surprised that was apparently considered an untenable pitch considering how successful and popular the Spiderverse movies are.

mystes
May 31, 2006

mycot posted:

Terry McGinnis is already basically Miles Morales but with Batman but by that same token I'm surprised that was apparently considered an untenable pitch considering how successful and popular the Spiderverse movies are.
That's a good point actually. You would think if they just leaned into the comparison the studio would be throwing money at them. On the other hand they probably just hate animated movies.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
It's so clearly a good idea for a successful animated feature that it speaks poorly of WB that they're this afraid of the risk. What if it doesn't get enough upvotes!?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Sir Lemming posted:

you say this but i would watch the poo poo out of an animation adaptation of kc greens adaptation of pinnochio. fire tailed heart attack snake and all

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
But no Kevin to voice our grumpy old bats. :( It’s schwarbage

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Darth TNT posted:

I’m just gonna say that Will Friedle is now one year older than Kevin Conroy was when he voiced old Bruce.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
You can tell Neo-Gotham is still a shithole because Ace Chemicals is still allowed to operate as a business.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Phylodox posted:

I’m just gonna say that Will Friedle is now one year older than Kevin Conroy was when he voiced old Bruce.

What

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Darth TNT posted:

TBH, that actually seems like the obvious place to go with for a Beyond movie?

Bruce finally passes away (…please no AI voice clips of him), and Terry now has to reckon with being the only person alive who truly knows what it’s like to be Batman, even with all of the years of experience he’s picked up.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

the actor who voiced batman beyond, will friedle, is now 47. will conroy, who was the voice of bruce wayne, a previous batman who in the titular series "batman beyond" was now a wizened mentor figure, was only 43 when the first episode aired. the poster means to imply that this is serendipitous, as mr. friedle is now of an appropriate age to be the voice of the wizened mentor figure.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Given Zaslav had canned Batgirl and seem in general not keen on batman and thinks Animation is non profitable, I suspect the answer to 'why resistance' is because it's a stupid fucker letting his biases overrule everything.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

DeimosRising posted:

the actor who voiced batman beyond, will friedle, is now 47. will conroy, who was the voice of bruce wayne, a previous batman who in the titular series "batman beyond" was now a wizened mentor figure, was only 43 when the first episode aired. the poster means to imply that this is serendipitous, as mr. friedle is now of an appropriate age to be the voice of the wizened mentor figure.

I'm not deaf, I'm flummoxed!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/hollywoodhandle/status/1759668445275205641

mystes
May 31, 2006

yeah maybe they should make a sequel to the most recent spiderverse movie?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

mystes posted:

yeah maybe they should make a sequel to the most recent spiderverse movie?
I dunno, I was perfectly satisfied by the ending we got

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

mystes posted:

That's a good point actually. You would think if they just leaned into the comparison the studio would be throwing money at them. On the other hand they probably just hate animated movies.

Just think of the tax rebates they could get by starting this project and then canning it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Sorry, I feel like I ask the obvious questions, but is "they just hate animated movies" based on any specific incident or just a tendency of bog shot companies to poo poo all over their animation divisions

Please accept these screenshot from the comic The Three Caballeros Ride Again, in which Donald's horny days are hilariously acknowledged. Also, i just think it's very cute how both his friends think so highly of him, the loser with no fixed job.

https://www.tumblr.com/marziafantasia94/723113084888219648/can-we-just-appreciate-how-panchito-and-jos%C3%A9?source=share

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 22, 2024