Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I don't want to sound like too much of an old fogey, but I don't use TikTok and one of the reasons is listening to my coworkers watching stuff on it. It's always horrible loud jangling something that abruptly cuts off to another horribly loud jangling something and on and on

oh yeah theyre hell to hear 2nd hand. it's not just young people. last christmas a lot of the older people in my family were watching those short form videos except on youtube or instagram instead of tiktok and at considerably higher volume than kids do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

“Oh no, oh no, oh no no no no no”

*3 second pause*

“Oh no, oh no, oh no no no”

*3 second pause”

“Oh no, oh no, oh no no no”

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It's birdsong. It's a mating call announcing that the person is with it because they're watching something trendy, and it spreads the reminder of the app like a viral ad. Hell, it's probably even pavlovian because it's tied to the dopamine hit from past times you slacked off at work or doomscrolled while high

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

redshirt posted:

lol just LOL at the concept of health care on Amazon Prime.

I keep getting commercials for this on podcasts “smart little minion” and I will never, ever use the Amazon healthcare app

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

I don't want to sound like too much of an old fogey, but I don't use TikTok and one of the reasons is listening to my coworkers watching stuff on it. It's always horrible loud jangling something that abruptly cuts off to another horribly loud jangling something and on and on

I have been deliberately playing out of touch old guy and any time I say TikTok to someone under 30 I call it “tic tacs app”. I haven’t had a chance but I hope to one day imply that I also believe they are both products of the same company like Chex cereal and Chex doom.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

thathonkey posted:

oh yeah theyre hell to hear 2nd hand. it's not just young people. last christmas a lot of the older people in my family were watching those short form videos except on youtube or instagram instead of tiktok and at considerably higher volume than kids do

I mean some of these coworkers I hear watching the thing at max volume are in their 40's and even their 50's. But it's just awful it's like robot voice saying something followed by classical strings library music followed by fire alarm. I think it bothers the part of my brain that hates when someone is switching stations on a radio over and over and never letting more than a few seconds of a song play.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I know that I would instantly get hideously addicted to the thing and I don't want that in my life

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

shortform, rapid fire videos feel like they're inducing brain cancer

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I have a 7/5 year old, and they don’t have access to any social media, including YouTube, but occasionally on days when they are home and my partner and I
Are working remote we will let them have YouTube on their Switch for the day. They are incapable of watching any video for more than 10 seconds so what I hear all day is:

“YOOOOOO WHATS UP MILK-FAM! It’s your boy Cally-Crumbs back with another…”

*silence, followed by 15 second ad*

“today we’re going to see WHAT HAPPENS when we put 500 plastic dinosaurs into a tub of Silly Stuff Brand Jelly Puddy!”

*Silence, 15 second ad*

“Oh no! My little sister stole my HAIRBRUSH! I’m going to cover her room in Paint!!!”

I’m sure this will produce some sort of disorder that mimics ADHD since their brains are being primed to only accept information that can be disbursed in under 5 seconds.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I just hate those robotic voices that narrate everything.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I love reels/tiktok for labor union and homesteading content but I do everyone a favor and wear my AirPods when watching them

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Around Christmas my partners tiktok was people yelling at or about their kids. Sometimes it’s women crying about some grievance or social attack. Seems like an unpleasant experience.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

JnnyThndrs posted:

I just hate those robotic voices that narrate everything.

I read this in a robotic voice.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

skooma512 posted:

Around Christmas my partners tiktok was people yelling at or about their kids. Sometimes it’s women crying about some grievance or social attack. Seems like an unpleasant experience.

My partner uses TikTok a bunch, but mostly for fashion stuff and hate-watching. She's gone down a rabbit hole of this weird side of TikTok where people are overly concerned about other people mistreating animals. But not like, physical abuse or whatever. It's people comment bombing some teenage who posted a video of all these toys she bought in anticipation of her new puppy, and dozens of comments where people saying "You are A MONSTER and should be in jail because none of those toys are BLUE! This is ANIMAL ABUSE!!!"

Apparently blue is the only color dogs see vividly (???) and by not purchasing blue toys she's basically abusing the puppy?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Apparently blue is the only color dogs see vividly (???) and by not purchasing blue toys she's basically abusing the puppy?

Social media explains the Fermi paradox

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

I mean some of these coworkers I hear watching the thing at max volume are in their 40's and even their 50's. But it's just awful it's like robot voice saying something followed by classical strings library music followed by fire alarm. I think it bothers the part of my brain that hates when someone is switching stations on a radio over and over and never letting more than a few seconds of a song play.

the AI voices are bad but it's worse when they happen to pick up on a song i like so i hear the same clip of it over and over, ruining it forever

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

My partner uses TikTok a bunch, but mostly for fashion stuff and hate-watching. She's gone down a rabbit hole of this weird side of TikTok where people are overly concerned about other people mistreating animals. But not like, physical abuse or whatever. It's people comment bombing some teenage who posted a video of all these toys she bought in anticipation of her new puppy, and dozens of comments where people saying "You are A MONSTER and should be in jail because none of those toys are BLUE! This is ANIMAL ABUSE!!!"

they can also see bright yellow, which sorta explains their interest in tennis balls

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Outrail posted:

Social media explains the Fermi paradox

I would completely buy that the development of social media is the great filter. It just feels like any longterm human development is going to be impossible because online discourse muddies the water of truth so badly

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

This just sounds like every other internet/social media created problem. Without the stuff, there were always 300 people with the same completely insane opinion scattered randomly around the world, but they would never meet each other, and you would never meet them. Now all 300 of them can talk to each other, get even crazier, and they can yell at you inside your house.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I agree with that, and I think there's another really terrible aspect to the modern internet: The self-feeding ecosystem.

Something happens and is posted. 10-15 years ago it would have been a viral video or meme or whatever. But now there is an entire ecosystem of "influencers" who basically exist just to give their "take" on stuff. So this thing happens, then a YouTuber makes a video of them reacting and commenting, then some TikTok person makes a video about that first YouTuber, then the original YouTuber makes a video reacting to that person's reaction, then some other YouTuber makes a video about the whole "drama", which is then commented on by some other person who makes a whole video lamenting about how dumb the whole drama is, then another person makes a video talking about how the previous YouTuber is hypocritical because all they do is make videos talking about how dumb drama is while actually profiting from the drama. Then the initial guy makes a YouTube video about the person who originally talked about him. It's all this ouroboros of different influencers circle-jerking off to each other until whatever mildly interesting thing that happened is bled dry.

On one hand, I get that people now watch YouTubers in the same way people had a favorite talk show or late night host 30 years ago, but there is so little actual content now.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Social media is bad for a lot of reasons, but otoh people genuinely talked themselves into believing there were secret Satanic cults preying on children everywhere you looked like a decade before I was born so I have trouble buying that it's made people uniquely dumb.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

I agree with that, and I think there's another really terrible aspect to the modern internet: The self-feeding ecosystem.

Something happens and is posted. 10-15 years ago it would have been a viral video or meme or whatever. But now there is an entire ecosystem of "influencers" who basically exist just to give their "take" on stuff. So this thing happens, then a YouTuber makes a video of them reacting and commenting, then some TikTok person makes a video about that first YouTuber, then the original YouTuber makes a video reacting to that person's reaction, then some other YouTuber makes a video about the whole "drama", which is then commented on by some other person who makes a whole video lamenting about how dumb the whole drama is, then another person makes a video talking about how the previous YouTuber is hypocritical because all they do is make videos talking about how dumb drama is while actually profiting from the drama. Then the initial guy makes a YouTube video about the person who originally talked about him. It's all this ouroboros of different influencers circle-jerking off to each other until whatever mildly interesting thing that happened is bled dry.

On one hand, I get that people now watch YouTubers in the same way people had a favorite talk show or late night host 30 years ago, but there is so little actual content now.

If that's actually a thing, why would anybody be so desperate for content that they'd seek it out or engage with it, in a world where access to books is almost limitless and it's extremely easy to find non parasocial entertainment?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

If that's actually a thing, why would anybody be so desperate for content that they'd seek it out or engage with it, in a world where access to books is almost limitless and it's extremely easy to find non parasocial entertainment?

I'm assuming this is a tongue-in-cheek post, but if not: because people are incredibly lonely in the modern world and parasocial relationships offer a way to feel connected with humans.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

I'm reading a book on the subject of introvert and extrovert, and that book will claim we (all of us) are now expected to sell ourselves. To pitch ourselves. To judge ourselves by these standards. So in that light, Youtube is not just entertainment, but an example of what you could be doing.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

bradzilla posted:

shortform, rapid fire videos feel like they're inducing brain cancer

long live the new flesh.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

ArmedZombie posted:

long live the new flesh.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I am eating some Tootsie fruit chews. I don't think any food that was introduced in the 21st century tastes exactly like this. Their sort of bland artificiality reminds me of floral print couches in wood paneled rooms with brown carpet. Do you think American's palates have actually changed now that everyone isn't inhaling smoke all the time?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Out of curiosity i started posting my timelapses of painting on tiktok and they get like a few hundred views and that's it ever and definitely dont translate into cross traffic onto etsy for viewing or anything.

I appreciate the existence of the internet and social media for giving me more ways to sell that dont involve the horrible toxic world of gallerys or setting up at craft fairs but its definitely a crap shoot.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I am eating some Tootsie fruit chews. I don't think any food that was introduced in the 21st century tastes exactly like this. Their sort of bland artificiality reminds me of floral print couches in wood paneled rooms with brown carpet. Do you think American's palates have actually changed now that everyone isn't inhaling smoke all the time?

palates have for sure changed, how much so is region and ethnicity dependent. I.e. prominently German areas went hard into boomer canned / post war food since two world wars sorta made them hide their culture. Candy and such has been a race to the bottom to be cheaper to try and keep the price point of the 90s.

Other places in the world still have many many smokers and the people making your food likely are smokers as well.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Mmh candy candied cigarettes

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I just got off a two-hour flight where in the row across from me a grown-rear end adult man watched TikTok from the moment he sat down until the moment he got up. When he saw a particularly good one he would literally slap his knee (I thought people only did this in stories) and wake up his traveling companion to show it to her. I don’t think she was as into it as he was.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

woke kaczynski posted:

Social media is bad for a lot of reasons, but otoh people genuinely talked themselves into believing there were secret Satanic cults preying on children everywhere you looked like a decade before I was born so I have trouble buying that it's made people uniquely dumb.

Yeah but now they get a megaphone and can spread their dumb ideas to millions of people who are gullible or brainwormed enough to buy into it as well. Even otherwise perfectly reasonable people will probably have some really godawful takes on stuff that shouldn't even be up for discussion

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah it truly emboldened people and the psychos found out that they weren't alone and the usual expectation of public shaming doesn't apply when they're all on the internet or in large groups with tiki torches.

It's gotten way, way, way, way, way worse and it's 100% because of the internet.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Tootsie fruit chews are good

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

woke kaczynski posted:

post username combo

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

redshirt posted:

lol just LOL at the concept of health care on Amazon Prime.

I'm not joking when I say the following:

I am waiting for the day that Amazon announces they've gotten accreditation to start doing online degrees. It has to be soon.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'm not joking when I say the following:

I am waiting for the day that Amazon announces they've gotten accreditation to start doing online degrees. It has to be soon.

i mean they already do certificates and poo poo

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I tried maybe five times to see if there was any content on tiktok worth watching. I couldn't find anything at all. A million weird dancy song videos, and not much else. I just don't understand the content. I go to youtube and watch people backpack across India for 2 hours and it's awesome and completely captivating. I go to tiktok and ... the first thing that came on just now is "oh my god, santa came!" and a woman reaching into a stocking pulls out her hand covered in jizz. da gently caress

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

woke kaczynski posted:

All forms of corporate mass media are evil, dehumanizing, and directly responsible for all our problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

steinrokkan posted:

All forms of corporate mass media are evil, dehumanizing, and directly responsible for all our problems.

Been saying this about Highlights all my life