Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
AFK kick is coming so it will all be ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Christ, getting this black screen thing now too.

vvv oh actually it did hooray now i get to wait in queue

explosivo fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 20, 2024

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Blackscreen ain't going away!

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It isn't as simple as "Add more servers!"

this poo poo cracks me up, like neither this developer suddenly awash in money nor Sony who's been actively angling to get a successful live service game wouldn't immediately throw cash at server capacity right now. also just assumes all code and infrastructure scales endlessly with server capacity.

anyway I'm sure they'll get it sorted, I doubt they'll get too much higher on player count than what they hit last weekend. maybe like another 10-15%? hopefully they can smooth it out this week and next

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Someone give the devs money to upgrade from SQL Server Express plz

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

They just need a visual studio enterprise code.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Durzel posted:

XP seems a bit skewed in the game. I can do a Trivial “Brood Commander” or “Illegal Broadcast” in about 3 minutes (record so far is 02:57) including the 2 min pickup time. For that I get circa 240 XP.

Or I could do a Challenging or above, take the better part of the 40 mins to do the multiple objectives, and get like 400 or so.

Only downside I can see - besides boredom - is that you don’t really get many medals. 1 as standard, maybe another if a POI is on the route.

You've optimised the least valuable resource in the game at the expense of the most valuable ones.

XP is gained far quicker than the others, when you only need to get to 20 to unlock all stratagems, which is the only gameplay it controls (you keep getting cosmetic titles).

The other resource you'd be getting is req, which only unlocks stratagems.

Both of these will happen pretty quickly from just playing the game normally. What needs a grind is medals and samples, which require the most resources to do and you get by going on harder difficulties and finding the POIs.

So yeah XP is lopsided, but also it doesn't matter.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

DarkDobe posted:

a

At high level there is a huge incentive to be quick and decisive when you are assaulting enemy positions. Taking out commisars ASAP so they cannot flare, or just murdering bugs/bug holes as quickly as possible.
It's not only viable but ENCOURAGED to just hit the fuckin' bricks and run if you are getting bogged down. The only time you NEED to dig in is if you are doing an objective in the area, and even then it is possible that things get too hot: in that case, you can fall back, circle around your objective and wait for the enemies chasing you to lose track - then go in for another try. Running away is GOOD, especially versus the Bugs - you can run away from 90% of your problems and just ignore them.

This is really the big thing. I'm level 38 at this point and if there's one thing I've learned is that you always save a little bit of stamina when running somewhere so you can Sprint into whatever patrol you just cluster bombed to shoot that little loving scavenger that was hiding behind a rock that survived the cluster bomb before it calls in reinforcements.

Sometimes people I'm playing with will open up on a patrol and ask why I'm sprinting to the side, it's so I can shoot those two bugs they didn't see. And no I will not stop doing this

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Finally got in and played 3 missions before crashing during a loading screen, booting me out of the game.

Mission 1 was a solo bug one, very fun.

Mission 2 was with some rando, blowing up bug eggs. Also very fun.

Mission 3 was with two more randos, they were level 20 and I was level 2--hard mode mission. Still blowing up eggs, but was at night during a desert. Chaotic, fun, still felt useful because I prevented a squad wipe after a huge bug charged over the two higher level bros.

After the game crashed I couldn't get back on for despite 10ish minutes waiting in the queue. Game's very fun, can't wait till they fix the servers.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I disconnected from an extreme mission just before we called down the Pelican and got back in just in time to drop onto the ramp and immediately evac. I’m doing my part!

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
well, guess the game decided I was done for the night. crashed to desktop and now I can't get past the black screen o' death

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Black screen somehow feels worse. I don't even get to watch the cool opening cinematic now.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Draven posted:

well, guess the game decided I was done for the night. crashed to desktop and now I can't get past the black screen o' death

wilderthanmild posted:

Black screen somehow feels worse. I don't even get to watch the cool opening cinematic now.

ok so i'm not the only one getting a black screen, that's reassuring.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
black screen LET ME IN

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

https://twitter.com/_HEALTH_/status/1759608950033379647

HEALTH aside, this is the third unique variant of this self-own I've seen. :allears: Maybe avoid Eagle strikes while at the edge of a cliff?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

this poo poo cracks me up, like neither this developer suddenly awash in money nor Sony who's been actively angling to get a successful live service game wouldn't immediately throw cash at server capacity right now. also just assumes all code and infrastructure scales endlessly with server capacity.

anyway I'm sure they'll get it sorted, I doubt they'll get too much higher on player count than what they hit last weekend. maybe like another 10-15%? hopefully they can smooth it out this week and next

The Xbro spouting troll server physics is a classic poo poo cherry on top of the least helpful sundae of all time.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

https://twitter.com/_HEALTH_/status/1759608950033379647

HEALTH aside, this is the third unique variant of this self-own I've seen. :allears: Maybe avoid Eagle strikes while at the edge of a cliff?

It's something about where you are on the planet and the angle the ordinance comes in from where the star destroyer is

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
*looks at the black screen*

I... can't do my part :smith:

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I got past the black screen and into "defrosting helldiver". Progress I guess.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

wilderthanmild posted:

I got past the black screen and into "defrosting helldiver". Progress I guess.

Yeah I was there for about a half hour then gave up. Sucks!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

drat, thinking of seeing HEALTH next month

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://x.com/Pilestedt/status/1759750620670505146?s=20

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Fate Accomplice posted:

drat, thinking of seeing HEALTH next month

buy tickets now, i was thinking about this and i thought too long and now i can't get in

much like Helldivers :thunk:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

C'mon Arrowhead, fixing the servers can't be THAT hard!

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

C'mon Arrowhead, fixing the servers can't be THAT hard!

I literally have always let another player do that part. Saw it the very first time and was like "gently caress that".

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Lol

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Sixto Lezcano posted:

buy tickets now, i was thinking about this and i thought too long and now i can't get in

I get all my tickets 5-6 hours before showtime and never pay more than face value if that.

I'm seeing tickets for my stop at $50 now and show's not for another ~month.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, got past black screen and then past defrosting helldiver, but then I got the "Servers at capacity yada yada" thing and after the retrying counter finished, I guess it just never tried because I never saw the message again :(

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

wilderthanmild posted:

Ugh, got past black screen and then past defrosting helldiver, but then I got the "Servers at capacity yada yada" thing and after the retrying counter finished, I guess it just never tried because I never saw the message again :(

yeah I guess now I have to just close and relaunch, hope I get past black screen, and hope it continues to try for a connection?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
For those who got past the black screen: do you just wait at the black screen, and if you're lucky something happens?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

wilderthanmild posted:

I waited with it alt tabbed for 45 minutes without getting in, and the "servers at capacity/reconnecting" vanished without return after around 20 minutes. no idea if it was still retrying after that, but guess I'm waiting the patch to boot the AFKs either way. haven't had a match since before the weekend.

redreader posted:

For those who got past the black screen: do you just wait at the black screen, and if you're lucky something happens?

pretty much, after an arbitrary amount of time it eventually makes it to the main screen (where you'll then get any of -1, 10002038, servers at capacity, or login limit reached) but I've never made it past both the black screen and those.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

CainFortea posted:

Tell me you've never been pounced by 6 hunters without saying you've never been pounced by 6 hunters.

It can. It's a setting.
The problem I have with this setting is that for support weapons it's per that individual weapon drop, so you have to change it every time you call a new one.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Am eventually getting past the black screen to the "Defrosting helldiver" splash screen just by waiting, where I assume I'm now waiting in queue to log in.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I didn't get to play after work because I found a dog outside and it was really cold today so I brought him inside and he was starving but he puked up the kibble I gave him so I made him a softboiled egg which he held down, then I had to watch him and keep him on a leash because he wanted to roam everywhere and get into everything and finally his owners called me back and brought him home and now I just get a black screen when I want to play gaem and its not fair

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That dog was an automaton distraction. You failed democracy.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
You can wait out the black screen, but I think having a friend invite you helps

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

magiccarpet posted:

It's something about where you are on the planet and the angle the ordinance comes in from where the star destroyer is

It's where you are in the mission area. A loading tip says that the angles are more oblique the closer to the edge of the mission area the call-in is. It's not really realistic since the Destroyer is in orbit and the mission areas are like less than a kilometer, but fun!

Baby T. Love fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 20, 2024

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Phenotype posted:

I didn't get to play after work because I found a dog outside and it was really cold today so I brought him inside and he was starving but he puked up the kibble I gave him so I made him a softboiled egg which he held down, then I had to watch him and keep him on a leash because he wanted to roam everywhere and get into everything and finally his owners called me back and brought him home and now I just get a black screen when I want to play gaem and its not fair

Is that Wolfie in the background?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I'm curious if something is more hosed than before now, because SteamDB shows significantly fewer players than earlier, when I got in fine, but black screen seems to still be the standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

wilderthanmild posted:

I'm curious if something is more hosed than before now, because SteamDB shows significantly fewer players than earlier, when I got in fine, but black screen seems to still be the standard.

Maybe more Playstation players managed to get in than Steam players by luck. Or, equally likely, some people probably said "gently caress it" early since the weekend is over. I know some of my friends said they're going to lay off for a week or two to see how things progress.